Quantcast

Sakamichi No Apollon / Kids on the Slope

Posted by Keil, 26 February 2014 · 1015 views

The Leery and Highfalutin DD 2017 Special Glasses Pack Giveaway is over and so this puzzle.

You must be bored.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted ImagePosted Image

You are a clever motherfucker. Or a lucky one, at that.

If you see this, don't wait for me to PM you.

PM me with the title "Mistral Jamboree" with a Neopets username and I'll send a glasses pack to you.

But you still need to generally follow the rules. The Siggy rule in particular is way too specific, but as long as your siggy in total isn't taller than 500px, then you're good, no matter how many lines or text or pictures. You still need to have a picture in your siggy and for your display picture that doesn't bother the mods and the main rules, 50 posts, post in the topic.

Make sure you obey the rules before PMing me. If I screenshot you generally not obeying the rules, then I can deny sending you anything. I'm already being really kind as is. Don't fuck it up.

Congratulations.

Title name changed 24 March 2017 @11:50 AM EST

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This blog is for anime that I consider worth watching for people who never watched the form of media before and hard core fanatics. I pick anime to post here seriously. If by chance that this is the first anime that a beginner encounters, then it should be my responsibility that it is to be an exceptional one.

Sakamichi No Apollon

Posted Image
Synopsis
In 1966 Japan, Kaoru Nishimi has moved from city to city and school to school because of his father’s job. So the first day at his new school was just routine for him. Being intellectual and the new transfer student, he has always been seen as an outcast and all Kaoru had to do was bare it until the next time he moved. But things were slightly different this time. First, he started to get close to the class president, Ritsuko Mukae, and, secondly, unlikely as it seemed, grew closer to Sentaro Kawabuchi. Sentaro was infamous for getting into fights, skipping class and was an overall bad boy. Strangely enough, the three of them find common ground in music, namely jazz, and Kaoru finds himself actually enjoying the new town. (Source)

Details
Episodes: 12
Length: 22 minutes per episode
Original Manga Author: Yuki Kodama
Anime Director: Shinichirō Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop, Space Dandy, Samurai Champloo to name a few).
Original Production Release: Summer 2012

Impressions:
This work of human art is beautiful. There is no magic, secret organizations, gimmicky comedy, or magical transforming girls in sailor suits. But there are humans who face drama and development. It is a novel of a work that will capture your emotions and makes you relate to the characters. When I watched the opening credits, so much emotion suddenly escaped me in the form of uncontrollable manly bro tears. I may have forgotten the exact plot of this anime, but I never forgot the impact it had in me. The anime itself made me want to read the manga (the manga came out before the anime) because I want to relive the paths that all the main characters went through, and it takes a really good anime to compel me to do so.

I planned originally to write a full review, but I found one so much better than what I could of ever wrote. This is a review I holistically agree with. So please read their review and consider watching the anime. I will provide sites where subtitles and dubbed versions exist. I watched both dubbed and subbed versions and both are honestly good. The subbed is ideal, but the dubbed is great at localizing lines and voices for a Western audience. If you do go on the sites, I suggest having an adblocker of some sort for a better experience because the ads are crazy just like Youtube.

As always, please support the original release of the franchise by buying the blue ray version and/or the manga.

SUBBED:
http://www.animefreak.tv/
http://www.goodanime.net/

DUBBED:
http://www.watchcartoononline.com/
http://www.watchdub.com/

Sakamichi no Apollon: Review
With a sprinkle of jazz music along with the teenage angst and drama, Sakamichi no Apollon has become a wonderful unique anime about friendship, the ups and downs of life and appreciating the ordinary every day.

At first glance this anime absorbs the viewer into the story because of the well portrayed jazz music. Not only did it have me tapping my foot every now and then because of the uplifting melodies but it also made me deeply emotional at times. I’ve said this before a lot but the jazz in this anime was not the main focus but a medium through which the emotion of the drama was conveyed.

Another thing I realized while watching the last episode was that the central focus wasn’t the drama either. It was about the everyday life. How we’re faced with difficulties and we overcome them through time. It was about the process of it. The anime was itself about time. How precious it is, how fast it is, how we change as it progresses, how the present time is the only thing that should be significant. All of which sounds cheesy but words can’t accurately describe the atmosphere one feels when watching it. The voice acting, delivery of the dialogues, music, animation all melts into a perfect 12 episodes that may leave you angry at it’s stupidity and abrupt ending or if watched with an open mind might leave you appreciating it’s message and the glorious ride it was.

The romance was also refreshing. The many annoyances faced in anime when dealing with romance were not present and the love triangles/polygons were delt with quickly and never dragged out. One of the reasons that made the romance so great in this anime was Kaoru. Kaoru was without a doubt a significant part of what made the relationships so unique. His character was commendable and one not seen often in anime. He was one that takes action, although he did sometimes drown himself in his own misery. Confessing to Ritsuko, trying to keep the group together, opening Sentaruou’s eyes to Ritsuko’s love, talking to Brother-Jun so that misunderstandings are not created. The list goes on and on.

However overall this anime progressed magnificently and each episode was better than the one before. Each with the same message dealing with different aspects of their lives and the daily struggles faced by the main characters.
It was definitely a great watch and is highly recommended.
Grade: (A)
-lpsycongroo (Source)

Yea you got the main points pinned down. I found the ending part sort of overly melodramatic (everyone misunderstanding and the plot running around), but the front part was pretty fun 'bros at jazz'. I think the manga series had a much smoother transistion into the ending?

That is true about the ending, but considering other 12 episode anime, I found it fitting.

I'm still reading the manga since I'm having those transient addictions to shows with this one. I'm around chapter 20 and I so far feel a lot more fulfilled knowing the extra details that were taken out. I understand why some small details were taken out (mostly because it was really minor in driving the plot plus production limitations), but if they were added in, it would of much better. I'm guessing the ending transition is much better than the anime and I'll tell you when I finish reading. 

What worked for a few friends of mine as first anime to get them hooked was Durarara!.

But I still agree a lot with your choice, Sakamichi no Apollon is not your typical high school anime and I really enjoyed it too :)

What's the difference between subbed and dubbed?

Subbed is Japanese audio with English subtitles. Dub is English audio. Some people prefer subs to retain the Japanese cultural feeling, but for this anime, the dubs are good at what it tries to accomplish.

I'm not an anime fan at all but one i watched recently was pretty sick, it's called deadman wonderland. Only 12 episodes tho :/

Deadman Wonderland is really good. The only down side to it was that the anime budget was only for 12 episodes and if you want to learn of the full story, you have to read the manga.

March 2024

S M T W T F S
24252627 28 2930

Recent Entries

Latest Visitors