Quantcast

Am I A Financial Curse?

Posted by Karla, 23 August 2015 · 1146 views

money troubles

So recently on the forums, I've been listing things that have been going kaput or malfunctioning in our house. Here’s what’s broken or previously fixed:

• Our New Dishwasher (Leaks)
  • LAN phones (Doesn’t make calls. It’s fixed now.)
  • My mother’s bathtub (Leaks)
  • My father’s Entertainment System (Doesn’t turn on. It's fixed now.)
  • Washing Machine (Stops in mid-cycle)

I should note that I was the last person to use all of these things before they started malfunctioning. We’ve had to spend quite a deal of money to get some of these things fixed, and I can’t help but feel like I’ve caused all this. This has been going on for as long as I can remember, probably since the 6th grade.

Not to mention we have to pay the tuition for my certificate program at the University. I’ve offered to pay for part of the tuition, but whenever I look at my parents’ faces, they say, “I need to figure out how I’m going to pay for all this.”

Yesterday I overheard my dad speaking with his friend on the phone. He told him that he’s “starting to realize how it feels to be in debt,” because he has to help pay my tuition and pay for the repairs of everything that’s breaking in the house. So naturally, this made me feel guilty.

Today I told my mother about how I felt, but she tells me not to worry. Coincidentally she showed me a news article today with the headline “Don’t Let Your Adult Children Dampen Your Retirement Financially.”

YEAH OKAY THANKS MOM THAT MAKES ME FEEL BETTER.

Just now (while writing this entry) Dad has brought to our attention that we've used over 1 GB of data on our phone plan. He plans on decreasing the GB usage with his new plan, so we have to use less data. I've looked into my data usage, and it turns out I was the one who used the majority of the data. SO YEAH, no watching videos for me for a while.

SO…Whether or not I’m cursed, I’m going to try and keep my hands off things so I don’t curse them into malfunction. I’m also going to try and go out and drive less if it’ll save some money.

WTF is wrong with me.

It sounds like you're going through a really stressful time. Try not to project your guilt in unreasonable ways, and I say this as nicely as I can. It is unreasonable, in my opinion, for you to think that you're at fault for things breaking. I get why you do. It's a bunch of shitty things happening all in the same time frame and you feel guilt already. But it's not your fault. 

Anyways, your mom showing you the article sounds a bit passive aggressive. You should insist you help pay for tuition (as much as you are able) or instead, replace certain things in your price range, offer to pay part of the phone bill and definitely cut down your data usage if you can. There is a really cheap part that goes bad in washing machines often, I can't remember what it's called, but it's a super common problem that results in mid-cycle stops. It's happened in a few washers I've been around in my lifetime so far. If you can figure out what is wrong, maybe you can buy the part and fix it yourself (with some research and online support)? I'd need to know the model your washer is and you'd probably have to poke around if you wanted to fix it. If you have a friend that's handy, maybe they can come over and help you? 

I think it's really awesome you're so financially aware and it's great you're worried for your parents, but it's obviously very distressing to you.

I hope thinks pick up soon. Please let me know if you ever need to chat. c:

March 2024

S M T W T F S
2425262728 29 30

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Latest Visitors