Quantcast

Belle's Once upon a time dress : the preparations.

Posted by Liesa, 02 February 2017 · 1392 views

My relationship with cosplay is a love/hate one :) It always has been and it always will be. I start a new show, fall in love with awesome characters, curse at their wonderful outfits and start hating myself because I'm already making them in my head.

Belle's pretty blue fairyland dress is no different.

Posted Image

*sigh* :wub:

Only this time the steps were slightly backwards and I'm quite thankful. Usually it's a whole process of finding a pattern, drafting mockups, cursing when I have to learn new things that my ratty sewing machine can't handle. Then when I'm pleased, I go find materials.

This time around, I bumped into my main fabric at a sale and it was too perfect to leave it there. It was an almost exact match to what they use in the show.

Posted Image

It's a tad bluer than it shows in my crap lighting

So I grabbed all they had left, a good 3 meters which should be enough and ordered a pattern on Ebay. BUTTERICK B6196.

This one's almost perfect. The waist just needs a bit of shortening and so does the skirt. So now I'm waiting for it to arrive, making a checklist of other stuff I need and planning a trip to get it. Of course there'll be a mockup first of the most horrible clashing fabrics. There always is, it's tradition by now.

To make it myself a bit easier I did make myself a mannequin. Good old duct tape and isolation foam.

Spoiler

I'm so eager to start it and have a new project. Usually my cosplays are a bit more elaborate though. And I never started with something simple :p Probably never will. My first sewing project was River Song's day of the moon dress.

The original Zeeda dress was 300€ and I wasn't going to give that to a cosplay :p So of course I drafted my own pattern by looking at a lot of reference photo's and made my own.

Posted Image

Last year's project was a victorian dress which I'd been dying to make.

Second time of using a sewing machine :p I never take it easy. I do believe it turned out nicely.

Posted Image

So I'm gonna go shop and hope my pattern arrives soon so I can draft a mockup :D I'll keep you all updated on this blog.

That fabric is perfect!!! 

That fabric is perfect!!! 

I was so happy when I stumbled upon it. 

Oh wow, that's gonna look awesome! I need to learn how to do stuff like this. I have a sewing machine.. I use it to fix my husbands pants if they split :D

Oh wow, that's gonna look awesome! I need to learn how to do stuff like this. I have a sewing machine.. I use it to fix my husbands pants if they split :D

I kinda taught myself over the years. A friends mom helps me out with the really tricky parts but it gets easier with every project :) 

Funnily enough, my mother just gave me a box of patterns she'll never use.. I might give one a go! How hard can it be...? :p

16683412_10154870571371063_1939871961_n_

Funnily enough, my mother just gave me a box of patterns she'll never use.. I might give one a go! How hard can it be...? :p

16683412_10154870571371063_1939871961_n_

Oh wow @marionette those are gorgeous *.*

April 2024

S M T W T F S
14151617 18 1920

Latest Visitors