Training methods

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:33 PM

I'm going to start training up BD pets. I have a Kau so far lvl1 Stock stats. I chose it for it's 10% Resistance to all. I'm currently just saving up Neopoints since I'm starting from scratch. I'm probably just going to do School+Kitchen Quest+Coltzans Shrine. And later on start negging when I build up the currency. What are methods you guys use and do you have any maxed out pets?

#2 Avian

Avian
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:56 PM

Early on, the cheapest training will come from the The Academy, but will take longer to train than the Mystery Island Training School. Regardless those along with cheap kitchen quests are the best way early on (Naturally keep visiting the shrine, but you wont get too many stats in all). There's no reason to start spending money on negg training until you have a high stat pet already. It's just too cost inefficient at low stats. If you are looking for quick training, just use the auto-trainer here and it will keep you in the Mystery Island Training School pretty much 24/7, just remember to check it once in awhile to make sure it's not stalled or anything.

EDIT: Also, Terror Trove Scratch Cards can make for some cheap levels, but you can only scratch 5 a day. Also, always train everything to even stats at the end of a training level (level 20, at 21 it will cost more, I mean) and even out all stats and then purposely over-train HP until you have to level again.

Edited by Avian, 15 November 2010 - 02:58 PM.

#3 emerkeng

emerkeng
  • 561 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 08:45 PM

WELL you can't max out pets as there are no max stats but I do have a 700 boost pet. Personally, I would go to mystery island training school first as it is faster and I'm impatient. Definitely start doing kitchen quests from the beginning and visit the shrine for the occassional stats. I would recommend you to start using armoured neggs when training costs 3-4 codestones. Then once it hits around 4 codestones a stat I would just train only level at the training school until 250 so that I can start using the secret ninja training school for 4 hour training sessions a stat you should still be negging for defense at this time (armoured negg).

Armoured negg prices will deflate when the negg faerie comes back so don't worry. The lab ray is also a good idea if you're willing to use it.

#4 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:41 PM

Lab ray seems kind of risky if I'm paying for each and every stat.

#5 Faval

Faval
  • 637 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:44 PM

I wouldn't use the ray if you want a balanced pet. With the lab ray, you'll usually have a net gain on str and hp but you'll likely lose out on levels and defense if you're training those. But other than that I have a pet with 600 hp and 200 str from just the ray...and 40 def and lvl 38 :p

For the really rich and impatient there's also kayla's potions such as the strength serum and super special potion. Those don't require your pet to be hungry to use.

Edited by Faval, 16 November 2010 - 12:46 PM.

#6 vrtx

vrtx
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:49 PM

I'm not sure if any math has been done to show whether the lab Ray would be a good complement to regular training.

All I know is the lab can srsly mess up your pet if you don't push through the negative zaps to balance out the stats. I'm wanting to turn my lab rat into a bd pet but first I've got to lvl up to 220+ before I can start training again (decent hp and str but shitty def). I guess once the war is over I'm going to be armour negging my defence all the way back up a few hundred levels :/

#7 emerkeng

emerkeng
  • 561 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:08 PM

I wouldn't use the ray if you want a balanced pet. With the lab ray, you'll usually have a net gain on str and hp but you'll likely lose out on levels and defense if you're training those. But other than that I have a pet with 600 hp and 200 str from just the ray...and 40 def and lvl 38 :p

For the really rich and impatient there's also kayla's potions such as the strength serum and super special potion. Those don't require your pet to be hungry to use.

That's why you zap your pets intelligently and only at times while also negging, training, and kquesting that you find are worth it to you and not just a gamble. Personally I've saved more neopoints than spent based on my calculations through zapping.

#8 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:08 PM

How do you zap your pets intelligently?

#9 emerkeng

emerkeng
  • 561 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:04 PM

How do you zap your pets intelligently?

By zap intelligently I mean zap only when your stats are at a point where if you were to zap and get a bad zap you would still be able to train at the mystery island training school or secret ninja training school without a problem. Like when i would do kquests I would occassionally get like 3-5 levels in a day from kquests and even if i got a bad zap and lose a few levels it wouldn't affect my training at the training school.

Edited by emerkeng, 16 November 2010 - 11:06 PM.

#10 emerkeng

emerkeng
  • 561 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:04 PM

*delete* double post

Edited by emerkeng, 16 November 2010 - 11:05 PM.

#11 vrtx

vrtx
  • 170 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:20 AM

*delete* double post

Question: How come many people choose to keep training their stats past the max STR and DEF boosts? I understand training lvl and HP indefinitely, but why str and def?

#12 Faval

Faval
  • 637 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:22 AM

Question: How come many people choose to keep training their stats past the max STR and DEF boosts? I understand training lvl and HP indefinitely, but why str and def?

That's a simple matter of why do anything at neopets at all. To show off.

#13 emerkeng

emerkeng
  • 561 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:30 AM

Usually past 700 boost they've probably been kquesting and/or zapping for extra hp stats and gained str and def stats from the kquests and lab

#14 flashraven

flashraven
  • 552 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:43 AM

By zap intelligently I mean zap only when your stats are at a point where if you were to zap and get a bad zap you would still be able to train at the mystery island training school or secret ninja training school without a problem. Like when i would do kquests I would occassionally get like 3-5 levels in a day from kquests and even if i got a bad zap and lose a few levels it wouldn't affect my training at the training school.

Even so that will still be counterproductive (financially, time, effort blahh) in the long run. I would recommend using training school, armoured neggs, shrine etc. for the your ''perfect pet'' with balanced stats and Lab Ray on lab rats (use it all the way and don't spend nps to buy other stuffs).

#15 vrtx

vrtx
  • 170 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:32 PM

Usually past 700 boost they've probably been kquesting and/or zapping for extra hp stats and gained str and def stats from the kquests and lab

Makes sense. Also agree with what was said before. I guess vanity IS a big part of Neopets =p

#16 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:56 PM

The only reason I play Neopets is just to have one of the Coolest and Strongest pets. :p

#17 Pafs

Pafs
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:38 AM

OK, I am seriously against the lab ray, particularly if you have a high-level pet, because there is a slight chance that it will lower your level to 1, so that would possible be a disaster for your NP and time spent.

#18 DenyingSystems

DenyingSystems
  • 578 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:42 AM

OK, I am seriously against the lab ray, particularly if you have a high-level pet, because there is a slight chance that it will lower your level to 1, so that would possible be a disaster for your NP and time spent.

I think once you pass a certain level (~20 or so) that it won't bring level back down to 1

#19 vrtx

vrtx
  • 170 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:14 PM

I think once you pass a certain level (~20 or so) that it won't bring level back down to 1

It only ever brings your lvl down by 2. If you never trained your level then you can't go lower than 1. So instead of saying you lost 2 lvls, it just goes "all the way down to level 1"

It only ever brings your lvl down by 2. If you never trained your level then you can't go lower than 1. So instead of saying you lost 2 lvls, it just goes "all the way down to level 1"

I've got another question since my Lab Rat's stats are so fubar. I know you can go 2x your level with other stats. (ie: lvl 20 = 40 str, def etc.) And I remember reading that you could go 3x your level with HP. At what point does that end?

Like if my pet has ~ 450 HP, what lvl does he have to be before I can start training my other stats again?

#20 iomega

iomega
  • 1070 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:25 AM

HP = 450 so Level = 150
from that the max Strength and Defence is 300
if you want to train in strength or defence again you'd have to gain a level

the 3x rule only applies at the mystery island training school

#21 vrtx

vrtx
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:49 PM

HP = 450 so Level = 150

Good stuff. Thanks for this =)

#22 equitatus

equitatus
  • 269 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:51 PM

damn so a strong pet costs that much??
wows
I used to just lab ray my pet

#23 contour

contour
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:39 AM

Can someone confirm if this is true?? I thought the lab can bring any pets level down to 1.
After using the lab, i just plan to A-negg the defence up. Level's don't mean a thing to my pet.

#24 Acheron

Acheron
  • 586 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:54 AM

A lot of guides put level 20 and after that point, you won't be decreased to level 1 anymore. Level isn't really important but maybe I will negg my pet to 50 for berserk attack,

#25 vrtx

vrtx
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 03:49 PM

HP = 450 so Level = 150

Hmm.. So I FINALLY got my lvl to the 3x rule. And it still tells me I can't have one stat 2x over the level. Guess I gotta lvl up to 250 now =(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users