Death Penalty new consideration?

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#1 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:13 PM

I have always been against the death penalty, it really is a shitty deterrent to crime. It doesn't work at all, yet I find myself so strangely gravitating towards it in extreme cases. I find myself going, "Dammit, these people need to die a horrible and shitty death and just rot in the ground. No thoughts of afterlife as solace. Let's face it Capital Punishment is deeply flawed in the United States, humans are falliable creatures. Not every case of the death penalty is so clear cut and people, Judges, DA's, Defense Attorneys they all make mistakes and sometimes people die or spend time when they were innocent.

I don't want to delve too far into the mechanics. But rather certain cases.. I really want the death penalty to be used in certain cases, but yet I can't force myself to do so even when some of the crimes are so horrific its just sickening that a sick and depraved individual would be allowed to live when he is a constant threat to the stability of our enviornments.

Am I naive in thinking that people would changer or just damn stupid for not wanting the death penalty to be used, although I would like it too.

This really happened less than a couple of blocks away from me.

"A registered sex offender(Yup, he was charged with sexually assaulting, not rape for no penetration, a 7 yr old before around 7 years ago, was charged Friday with sexually assaulting a 2-year-old girl in a Dollar Tree store."

On Jan. 15, 2003, he exposed himself "while he simultaneously held down a 7-year-old female victim and pulled down her pants" while living at a Hayward apartment complex, according to records.A neighbor heard the girl's screams and intervened before Ramos could rape her, according to the records. Ramos returned to his apartment immediately after the attack, where he later told officers that he liked the girl "like a girlfriend," according to records."

After the incident, Ramos was diagnosed as a schizophrenic. He was ruled incompetent to stand trial until 2005, when he pleaded no contest to attempting to have sex with a minor and was sentenced to four years in state prison

Within 20-30 seconds, he committed his next crime, Ramos had the child pinned down in the aisle and was sexually assaulting her when he was spotted by the grandmother, police said. The child's pants and diaper had been removed and she was being straddled Ramos, who had pulled down his pants and underwear, police said. A freaking 2 year old..

With someone being mentally incapable of their actions and even my beliefs on the death penalty, I just don't know why. This is beyond sick....

And you don't want to even hear other stories I have learned/read about in my other Law classes..

here are some other crazy stuff...Read at own risk.

Spoiler

#2 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:17 PM

I fully support the death penalty; But I think it should only be used in extreme circumstances. Aka repeat offenders / serial killers or serial whatevers

People who are "insane" should be able to stand trial... what's really the point of keeping them alive? I mean not if they had like a sudden burst of insanity due to a recent traumatic event, I mean like the story above where he's insane, but obviously a repeat offender ...

#3 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:21 PM

I fully support the death penalty; But I think it should only be used in extreme circumstances. Aka repeat offenders / serial killers or serial whatevers

I can agree with this but...the system to decide is flawed, the laws for each state is different, overall its basically flawed..I mean its going to be impossible for us to ever create a system in which its perfect. Those who deserve to die will die.

Hell, you can kill a 1,000 murderer's with the death penalty, but even 1 innocent man is unforgivable.

#4 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:23 PM

I can agree with this but...the system to decide is flawed, the laws for each state is different, overall its basically flawed..I mean its going to be impossible for us to ever create a system in which its perfect. Those who deserve to die will die.

Hell, you can kill a 1,000 murderer's with the death penalty, but even 1 innocent man is unforgivable.

That's why it has to be serial. There are many things wrong with the law system, such as bail.

If there is ANYTHING to do with murder 1st or 2nd degree urder, there should be no bail. That's retarded... get out of jail, flee country ??? profit

#5 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:25 PM

The death penalty in the U.S. is a burden on the judicial system because after all the automatic appeals and trials are over and done, the state would have spent far more money to execute someone than to imprison them for the rest of their life.

Honestly I'd rather have someone spend the rest of their life in what I imagine is solitude and extreme boredom than to give them an easy way out.

#6 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:28 PM

The death penalty in the U.S. is a burden on the judicial system because after all the automatic appeals and trials are over and done, the state would have spent far more money to execute someone than to imprison them for the rest of their life.

Honestly I'd rather have someone spend the rest of their life in what I imagine is solitude and extreme boredom than to give them an easy way out.

then just kill everyone. Does anyone REALLY like the orange the wear? Wouldn't they just prefer to die?

#7 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:35 PM

then just kill everyone. Does anyone REALLY like the orange the wear? Wouldn't they just prefer to die?

Texas inmates? wear Pink.

A Life sentence in jail is way more cruel and unusual than death, depending on what you believe since the majority believe in Hell and Heaven. Repent and they would be saved. But for those who don't, this life is all you get, death is just cruel?

HAHAHA talk about an epic mind-puck...

Democratic Judge trying to get rid of death penalty in Texas

those who don't want to click the link...
"The attorneys say will try to show that the way death penalty cases are handled in Texas creates a risk that innocent people will be executed. Green faces a possible death sentence if convicted of fatally shooting a Houston woman during a June 2008 robbery. The hearing was ordered by Kevin Fine, a state district judge in Harris County who in the spring granted a motion by Green's attorneys and declared the state's death penalty statute unconstitutional. Under heavy criticism, Fine clarified then rescinded his ruling and ordered the hearing, saying he needed to hear evidence on the issue."

Edited by Warriors, 06 December 2010 - 11:36 PM.

#8 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:40 PM

I think the death penalty should be enforced.

#9 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:30 AM

Schizophrenia isn't a mental incompetence thing.

I know someone who is a schizophrenic and he can function perfectly fine in society, for the most part.

#10 Elle

Elle
  • ShadowLink64's Rebel

• 894 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:21 AM

assholes should die. thats pretty much my verdict.

#11 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:06 AM

Pedos/rapists should be castrated

Death penalty is iffy. I'm against killing (outside of immediate self-defense) but I don't think society should be burdened to supply murderers and rapists with any decent quality of life. So I figure I won't oppose whatever we have in place nor support it and accept what the rest of society decides

While we're on the topic of punishment, I think long-term prisoners should be put to work to try and recoup some of the economic drain they have on society. I'm not talking about 12 hours of hard labour like there was a bit back but, like for example in this show I was watching they made driver licenses for the state and stuff similar to that. 'proudly made in the usa by a bank robber'

#12 Barophobia

Barophobia
  • 612 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:02 AM

Pedos/rapists should be castrated

YES. I totally agree with this.

If you cant keep your dragon in check, better let it go. Or in this case, the law can help you to :3

#13 Hurricane

Hurricane
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 07:46 AM

indefinite solitude is way worse than the death penalty. I'm for the death penalty just because if i ever find myself in the situation of solitary vs death, id pick death or i'd kill myself in solitary. Posted Image

#14 Barophobia

Barophobia
  • 612 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:41 AM

oh yea, about that. life sentence vs death. I'd pick death. Kinda has no point when you know you're gonna spend the rest of your life cooped up. (assuming no good conduct shiz)

#15 Ziz

Ziz
  • 936 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:33 AM

And life sentence has no use when corruption appears. It makes capturing the bigggest criminals useless
They just get out for some reason or another. Death penalty could be the only way to actually stop them.

#16 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:44 AM

indefinite solitude is way worse than the death penalty. I'm for the death penalty just because if i ever find myself in the situation of solitary vs death, id pick death or i'd kill myself in solitary. Posted Image

No one gets sentenced to indefinite solitude. A lot of prisoners on a Life Sentence get tv and computer privileges and live a comfortable life.

#17 Hurricane

Hurricane
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:09 PM

No one gets sentenced to indefinite solitude. A lot of prisoners on a Life Sentence get tv and computer privileges and live a comfortable life.

If youre too dangerous to be in gen pop with other inmates and are not on death row, you get put into solitude. At least that's how it worked in OZ :p William Giles and Miguel Alvarez were put in solitude indefinitely. Then again im only on season 4!

#18 DenyingSystems

DenyingSystems
  • 578 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:22 PM

Like the OP, I don't like the idea of the death penalty because I feel any kind of killing is wrong. On second thought though, there are some crimes so sick and twisted I just can't seem to let myself believe that the convicted should still be alive. While on the topic of law and courts, I think pleading insanity is silly and the legal definition of insanity is kind of off. Personally, I feel anyone sick enough or crazy enough to kill, rape, etc. (any "major" crimes, not just like petty stealing) has something wrong with them in their head, whether legally insane or not. Not really sure where this is going, but I just think that differentiating between legally insane and just become a twisted killer is a bit pointless.

#19 Hurricane

Hurricane
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:29 PM

Like the OP, I don't like the idea of the death penalty because I feel any kind of killing is wrong. On second thought though, there are some crimes so sick and twisted I just can't seem to let myself believe that the convicted should still be alive. While on the topic of law and courts, I think pleading insanity is silly and the legal definition of insanity is kind of off. Personally, I feel anyone sick enough or crazy enough to kill, rape, etc. (any "major" crimes, not just like petty stealing) has something wrong with them in their head, whether legally insane or not. Not really sure where this is going, but I just think that differentiating between legally insane and just become a twisted killer is a bit pointless.

well what about schizos who hear voices from gods and angels and devils telling them to murder blacks/their children/members of the opposite religion? People that tend to be possessed are criminals and legally insane in one state of mind.

#20 DenyingSystems

DenyingSystems
  • 578 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:32 PM

well what about schizos who hear voices from gods and angels and devils telling them to murder blacks/their children/members of the opposite religion? People that tend to be possessed are criminals and legally insane in one state of mind.

I know, but what I'm saying is, I don't think any normal people that don't have SOMETHING wrong with them could commit such crimes. I know there are different degrees of uncontrollable insanity, but to kill, something is wrong in the head.

#21 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:34 PM

I agree with you, but I have seen cases in the courts in which people really are a bit disturbed and most of the time its not their fault. The brain is a crazy organ that can be easily messed with. Just a simple neuron not firing or twisted nerve endings can create great mental problems. And you know what sometimes people can help it. However, there are many people faking such illnesses' just to avoid jail time. Some adults with the mind of a child shouldn't be punished as an adult, however repeat offenders may need to be watched more closely and/or spend their life in an institution where they can get help.

#22 DenyingSystems

DenyingSystems
  • 578 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:36 PM

I agree with you, but I have seen cases in the courts in which people really are a bit disturbed and most of the time its not their fault. The brain is a crazy organ that can be easily messed with. Just a simple neuron not firing or twisted nerve endings can create great mental problems. And you know what sometimes people can help it. However, there are many people faking such illnesses' just to avoid jail time. Some adults with the mind of a child shouldn't be punished as an adult, however repeat offenders may need to be watched more closely and/or spend their life in an institution where they can get help.

Ya, I mean there are some people that are (unfortunately) very messed up in the head and that causes them to do these horrible things. What I'm saying though is that anyone who kills, rapes, etc. must have something wrong with them, because normal people don't do those things so regardless of legally insane or not they should get therapy, counseling, etc. even if they're going to spend their life in jail.

#23 Lineage

Lineage
  • 498 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:00 PM

Agree.

The thing in the spoiler about a mother being forced to rape her own kid is beyond weird.
Some people are so fucking creepy/messed up in the head.

#24 Barophobia

Barophobia
  • 612 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:00 PM

Agree.

The thing in the spoiler about a mother being forced to rape her own kid is beyond weird.
Some people are so fucking creepy/messed up in the head.

Sadistic pleasures in life? Some people get kicks from these kinda things. Like animal abuse too. :/

#25 PeonYourLawn

PeonYourLawn
  • 538 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:40 AM

read the spoilers. i cannot sleep tonight. especially at the microwave thats just.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users