Photo

Death Penalty new consideration?

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#26 Barophobia

Barophobia
  • 612 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:48 AM

read the spoilers. i cannot sleep tonight. especially at the microwave thats just.

You're a real softie inside huh.

#27 PeonYourLawn

PeonYourLawn
  • 538 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:56 AM

You're a real softie inside huh.

HAHAHAHAHA warm and gooey you know it

#28 DenyingSystems

DenyingSystems
  • 578 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:11 PM

Sadistic pleasures in life? Some people get kicks from these kinda things. Like animal abuse too. :/

This is the fact that makes me have a hard time differentiating between legally insane and legally sane because to do these things, you have to be sick in the head.

#29 Ziz

Ziz
  • 936 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:45 PM

:/ what is the point of the spoiler thing if the other people will reveal those things through their posts.
I ended up reading them and it was just... disturbing

Those kind of people shouldn't be alive. They are either just evil enough as for not deserve living or as insanely sick to have them roam freely on the world.
And maybe jail it's a punishment for some people, but for others (usually the richer criminals) sometimes it's not that bad, they just end up geting out a lot of times.
It's even worse if they have mental disorders, getting them in jail would only make them more sick, and if they ever get out they will be even more dangerous (sometimes they get out even worse from psychiatric hospitals).

Edited by Ziz, 09 December 2010 - 12:54 PM.

#30 Barophobia

Barophobia
  • 612 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:18 PM

This is the fact that makes me have a hard time differentiating between legally insane and legally sane because to do these things, you have to be sick in the head.

The line's all blurred anyway cause those that are actually sane but sick in the head just try to plead for insanity and those that are insane are just well.....insane.

:/ what is the point of the spoiler thing if the other people will reveal those things through their posts.
I ended up reading them and it was just... disturbing

Those kind of people shouldn't be alive. They are either just evil enough as for not deserve living or as insanely sick to have them roam freely on the world.
And maybe jail it's a punishment for some people, but for others (usually the richer criminals) sometimes it's not that bad, they just end up geting out a lot of times.
It's even worse if they have mental disorders, getting them in jail would only make them more sick, and if they ever get out they will be even more dangerous (sometimes they get out even worse from psychiatric hospitals).

Yea but sentencing people to death left and right would trigger riots with the activists and peace hippies. The Justice System sucks.

#31 Andy

Andy
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:46 AM

Even in the case mentioned by the OP, the death penalty is still wrong. It seems as though the death penalty is no longer about deterrence but as a form of retribution, a deed as heinous as the acts that warrant it. The death penalty sends the message to society that in some cases, the murder of defenceless (although criminally twisted) people is acceptable or just, which is something that humanity should not accept.

Life in prison without parole is something which I believe is an acceptable alternative to the death penalty.

#32 Barophobia

Barophobia
  • 612 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:44 AM

Even in the case mentioned by the OP, the death penalty is still wrong. It seems as though the death penalty is no longer about deterrence but as a form of retribution, a deed as heinous as the acts that warrant it. The death penalty sends the message to society that in some cases, the murder of defenceless (although criminally twisted) people is acceptable or just, which is something that humanity should not accept.

Life in prison without parole is something which I believe is an acceptable alternative to the death penalty.

Well I live in Singapore and we get the death penalty for the smallest of reasons, like drug trafficking (depending which drug and how much), murder, serious kidnapping, and firing of a gun, especially if unlicensed (other than the authority, we arent allowed to have any guns).

Keeps the crime rate pretty low. So in a way saying that it doesnt act as a deterrence is false.

In any case, justice is vengence.

#33 equitatus

equitatus
  • 269 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:59 PM

To me there are too many gray areas with the death penalty.

What constitutes a person to deserve a death penalty. What if that person was wrongly accused just that evidence pointed against him.
Then comes the issue of whether or not the crime was intentional and whether or not he repents.

I mean if a person is truly sorry, parole would let him out of jail early, so would the same apply to teh death penalty?

#34 DenyingSystems

DenyingSystems
  • 578 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 02:02 PM

What constitutes a person to deserve a death penalty. What if that person was wrongly accused just that evidence pointed against him.
Then comes the issue of whether or not the crime was intentional and whether or not he repents.

I mean if a person is truly sorry, parole would let him out of jail early, so would the same apply to teh death penalty?

Personally, I think the death penalty is wrong because of the reasons you mentioned although I do have a bit of a different opinion. I don't think murderers deserve parole because even if they repent, they messed up bad once in their life by killing, what's to tell they won't do it again. That doesn't mean that people who go into jail never come out as better people, but I just don't like the thought of walking around on the street and possibly passing a murderer.

#35 Barophobia

Barophobia
  • 612 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:41 AM

If thats the case people can just fake they're sorry and cheat death :\

#36 Acheron

Acheron
  • 586 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:07 AM

Well I live in Singapore and we get the death penalty for the smallest of reasons, like drug trafficking (depending which drug and how much), murder, serious kidnapping, and firing of a gun, especially if unlicensed (other than the authority, we arent allowed to have any guns).

Keeps the crime rate pretty low. So in a way saying that it doesnt act as a deterrence is false.

In any case, justice is vengence.

I'm from SG too and the current case of the Malaysian drug mule is the reason why mandatory death penalty should be removed.

#37 Barophobia

Barophobia
  • 612 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:13 AM

I'm from SG too and the current case of the Malaysian drug mule is the reason why mandatory death penalty should be removed.

I believe thats irresponsible of our government. When you signed up as a drug mule, you should be well aware of the consequences should you get caught. High risk, high pay; Granted these people are lured in by the money but at the end of the day when you get caught, its your cross to bear.

Though I also believe that our judges should listen to appeals more :)

#38 AyoForYayo

AyoForYayo
  • 503 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:51 AM

I think the death penalty shouldn't be allowed, rather life in solitary.
That is much more miserable.
If someone did a horrendous crime to me, a family member of mine or my friend I wouldn't want them to just die. I would want them to be miserable for the rest of their life.

Other than that, I don't think we should allow the government to decide when someones life ends under any circumstances, whatsoever. No matter how heinous the crime.

#39 Barophobia

Barophobia
  • 612 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:08 AM

If someone did a horrendous crime to me, a family member of mine or my friend I wouldn't want them to just die. I would want them to be miserable for the rest of their life.

Thats very true. But happiness can be found anywhere, even in prison D:

#40 Acheron

Acheron
  • 586 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:11 AM

I think the death penalty shouldn't be allowed, rather life in solitary.
That is much more miserable.

Other than that, I don't think we should allow the government to decide when someones life ends under any circumstances, whatsoever. No matter how heinous the crime.

I agree with you. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. The extent of damage a crime does cannot be quantified and while the perpetrator might very well not deserve to continue living, what gives you (or the state) the right to decide this?

Edited by Olion, 14 December 2010 - 09:12 AM.

#41 AyoForYayo

AyoForYayo
  • 503 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:25 AM

I agree with you. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. The extent of damage a crime does cannot be quantified and while the perpetrator might very well not deserve to continue living, what gives you (or the state) the right to decide this?

Absolutely.
I think in general the government has way too much involvement in everyones lives. Laws and all that bs are made up by people that deemed themselves, or other people deemed them higher than the general population.

The government already controls pretty much everything that happens to you. Life or death is taking it to a whole new level entirely, even if the criminal is a low-life piece of shit, ending someone else's life is not an option. Ever.

Maybe it's just because I'm a vegan Posted Imagebut I don't think death is ever the solution to anyones problems.

Plus, if you think that killing the douchebag that ruined your, or someone else's life is going to make your life better or give you "closure" or whatever kind of bullshit you want to call it, then you're just as sick and disturbed as they are.

#42 exclaim

exclaim
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:08 AM

I know that this is a pretty old topic, but it's not against the rules to post in an interesting conversation, right?

I think that the government should establish a voting system, where a series of judges first decide that the death penalty is needed, and then the judges put it up to a state wide vote. Also, to take this idea further, I think that the whole law system should change. When a crime of a certain seriousness and/or cruelty is committed, judges should decide on a range of punishments, and after that let the people vote on a punishment from that range.

#43 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:22 PM

I know that this is a pretty old topic, but it's not against the rules to post in an interesting conversation, right?

I think that the government should establish a voting system, where a series of judges first decide that the death penalty is needed, and then the judges put it up to a state wide vote. Also, to take this idea further, I think that the whole law system should change. When a crime of a certain seriousness and/or cruelty is committed, judges should decide on a range of punishments, and after that let the people vote on a punishment from that range.

The age old problem with democracy being that the majority of people are idiots.

#44 exclaim

exclaim
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:38 PM

Yeah... it was just a thought anyways.

#45 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:52 PM

Yeah... it was just a thought anyways.

We'd all vote on public beheading. And it would just be a giant step backwards.

#46 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:59 PM

We'd all vote on public beheading. And it would just be a giant step backwards.

NO WAY.

We wouldn't need jersey shore anymore!

#47 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:03 PM

NO WAY.
We wouldn't need jersey shore anymore!

I can see the brightly lit stage and the intense music in my mind's eye already, as the cameras broadcast the blank faces our criminals. Ryan Seacrest is asking us, "Which one will be beheaded tonight?" Only you, the viewers can decide. Just text "001" for the baby rapist, "002" for the serial killer, and "003" for the serial killer who also rapes babies.

Next week's special: DEATH BY SHARK TANK.

#48 ArticTheTiger

ArticTheTiger
  • 1318 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:05 PM

Posted Image

Someone say public beheading?

#49 vurty

vurty
  • 208 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:48 PM

I support the death penalty as some people do deserve it, but it really doesn't deter crime

#50 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:51 PM

I support the death penalty. When people are afraid that they'll be hanged for something, there's a chance they'll think twice before doing it. This won't work with psychopaths and other mentally deranged people though. Still, if the fear reduces robberies and all that other nice stuff, I don't see why not. How do you think religion works? Fear. Well not nowadays anyway, but that's how it used to work before.

They still have the death penalty in Guyana, and it's death by hanging. People go to the prison to watch, it's like a field day when there's one happening. Maybe they take their kids and freak the Hell out of them saying "That's what's going to happen to you if you don't eat your dinner!". We haven't had one recently, most of the bad guys have been shot on sight.. And that, my friends, DID reduce crime :thumbsup: Well, it did for a while, before some people got pissed about the bad guys being killed, and called in other countries to save the murderers and robbers.. Yes, that makes so much sense. So now, the crime rate is going up again. Yay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users