Photo

Death Penalty new consideration?

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#51 Nunc

Nunc
  • 443 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:24 AM

Mandatory death penalty for all felonies.

But the person on death row can choose to voluntarily self-exile with all their assets seized.

EXEMPLIS GRATIA:

Person X kills Person Y. He is convicted and sentenced to death, instead he chooses exile and goes to australia. Problem solved.

#52 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:32 AM

I'm all for the death penalty, dead men commit no crimes, simple as that. Reserve the death penalty for any and all violent crimes (ie assault, any weapon crimes), don't bother using it on embezzlers and thieves. I live in Canada, and the justice system here is folly, it doesn't work, life in prison? Out in 5. After years of watching news about repeat offenders killing and raping I've come to believe that rehabilitation is bullshit, it doesn't work.

edit: 500th post

Edited by SilentErektion, 29 March 2011 - 10:39 AM.

#53 Nunc

Nunc
  • 443 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:41 PM

I'm all for the death penalty, dead men commit no crimes, simple as that. Reserve the death penalty for any and all violent crimes (ie assault, any weapon crimes), don't bother using it on embezzlers and thieves. I live in Canada, and the justice system here is folly, it doesn't work, life in prison? Out in 5. After years of watching news about repeat offenders killing and raping I've come to believe that rehabilitation is bullshit, it doesn't work.

I fully agree.

500th post

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Nunc, 30 March 2011 - 02:41 PM.

#54 Seaner

Seaner
  • 487 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:49 PM

Death penalty for assault? lolsrsly

Might wanna look at the legal definition first.

#55 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:08 PM

I fully agree.

Posted Image

Posted Image

dammit, it says 501 active posts on my profile.

pfft assault, in my eyes means the prosecutor didn't manage to charge the perp with attempted murder

#56 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:09 PM

edit: repost, gateway error :(

Edited by SilentErektion, 30 March 2011 - 06:09 PM.

#57 Persuasion

Persuasion
  • 551 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:16 PM

WTF; I can't believe any of the examples in the spoiler... Wtf...

I generally agree with the death penalty, you're going to do somthing illegal and the punishment is life in prison for 200 years, the government might as well kill the man, sooner or later (I think most death penalties still take a process of many years, enough for familiy members xDDD jkjk) But The government shouldn't have to pay for the food and shelter of these felons.

And I think it DOES work as a detterent; If you see it as a free ticket for food the rest of your life, why not? If you have nothing to lose in your life and doing the crime might be fun or whatever, etc... It may not be THAT effective, but it's still somthing that a criminal will consider before commiting the act

#58 Seaner

Seaner
  • 487 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:21 PM

pfft assault, in my eyes means the prosecutor didn't manage to charge the perp with attempted murder

I think the term you're after is Aggravated Assault.

#59 Guest_jcrgirl_*

Guest_jcrgirl_*

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:37 PM

How about... instead of the whole death penalty thing.... sell parts of their body one piece at a time. Keep them alive and first sell their eyes, maybe a kidney, sell some blood, some lungs. Save the heart for last. People would pay hundreds of thousands of dollars!

They'd technically eventually get the death penalty, just with lots of surgeries in between :D
Theres a high demand for organs in this country. Fucked up as this sounds, it would work. But y'know, it's pretty fucked up. -shrug-

#60 Persuasion

Persuasion
  • 551 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:40 PM

How about... instead of the whole death penalty thing.... sell parts of their body one piece at a time. Keep them alive and first sell their eyes, maybe a kidney, sell some blood, some lungs. Save the heart for last. People would pay hundreds of thousands of dollars!

They'd technically eventually get the death penalty, just with lots of surgeries in between :D
Theres a high demand for organs in this country. Fucked up as this sounds, it would work. But y'know, it's pretty fucked up. -shrug-

Mmmm, the public and other nations wouldn't fly with that, but what if we gave them the "death penalty";

and then secretly did whatever we want with them :))) Indded, that would make money and save lives on top of that! It's like giving back to the community xD

#61 Seaner

Seaner
  • 487 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:59 PM

And I think it DOES work as a detterent; If you see it as a free ticket for food the rest of your life, why not? If you have nothing to lose in your life and doing the crime might be fun or whatever, etc... It may not be THAT effective, but it's still somthing that a criminal will consider before commiting the act

For any punishment to work as a deterrent, it assumes the individual is weighing their options before committing the act. Most crimes are committed in the heat of the moment, where a person isn't reflecting on the outcomes.

#62 GeorgeBright

GeorgeBright
  • 503 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:20 PM

The death penalty is a better option than jail time.

#63 AyoForYayo

AyoForYayo
  • 503 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:19 PM

It takes so fucking long for someone to get executed. It's kind of pointless and retarded because people sit on death row basically their entire lives.

Fuckkkk. Just lock the sick fucks in a dungeon with one another :D

#64 Maloo

Maloo
  • 445 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:10 AM

Castrating the rapists sounds good

#65 esilim

esilim
  • 508 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:43 AM

Appropriate retribution is actually fair. And a useful deterrent.

#66 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:00 AM

Appropriate retribution is actually fair. And a useful deterrent.

An eye for an eye? I know someone out there is gonna say "an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind", then I would respond an eye for two eyes makes the criminals blind :)

#67 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:38 PM

an eye for two eyes makes the criminals blind :)

And proportionally more dangerous with a weapon.

#68 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:11 PM

And proportionally more dangerous with a weapon.

Assuming a blind person can acquire and operate a weapon

#69 Nunc

Nunc
  • 443 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:38 AM

What about the victimless crimes?

Should they be legalized?

I mean, that's what insituing Hammurabi's law would do...

You'd get people shaking their dicks in the middle of the street smoking marijuana and pissing all over the place...

Edited by Nunc, 03 April 2011 - 06:38 AM.

#70 Blackout

Blackout
  • 411 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:57 AM

Call me crazy but I believe if you intentionally killed somebody on purpose you should die.
You took someone's life! Up to 100 years gone. And all they get is this 5 years in a cell shit.

If you kill someone you should be killed. No excuse why you shouldn't be killed for killing someone.
It'll probaly lower crime too.

#71 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:12 AM

What about the victimless crimes?

Should they be legalized?

I mean, that's what insituing Hammurabi's law would do...

You'd get people shaking their dicks in the middle of the street smoking marijuana and pissing all over the place...

That brings up a whole 'nother topic of to what extent does a certain crime victimized. For your example one could argue that pissing all over the place=vandalism, that someone has to clean. The indecent exposure...people could say they were victimized by having seen that i guess. Things like laws that require you to wear helmets can be removed, this is self preservation, make your own choice. Other laws like limitations on alcohol consumption while driving, as drunk driving can lead to death for anyone

#72 sharpeye767

sharpeye767
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:50 PM

Death penalty can save the gov some money. We wouldn't have to pay for prisoners food, and shelter. We need our death row to literally be a "death row", just line up and then after about an hour the line is gone. Half the time people on death row are their for 100 years.

#73 Chloee

Chloee
  • 142 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:21 AM

Hm, I think that there should be the death penalty brought back to the UK, since some really horrible people are just in prison. Like people who have killed 30 people etc, and they are proven and everything to be guilty.
But then for people who are found to be innocent that were convicted as guilty, it would be a huge flaw. I think that it was the reason it was stopped? I'm not too sure about it, but I think that the last person with the death penalty in the UK was actually innocent...

I don't think that the mental institution and other places like that should be an excuse though. Because in the news a lot of people that have killed/raped or other horrible things like that have just used as a 'Get out of Jail' excuse.

However you have both sides of the argument, since you then have the criminals families and the victims family, if they would feel guilty about letting the police kill someone.

But I also think that there should be a global set of laws, so people and criminals are all treated the same way across the world. Then they wouldn't be treated differently in different countries, and get away with more in certain countries. I don't know if it would really work, but it may improve things if it was put in place. And then you would have the same sentences for people and the same punishments..

Edit: Forgot to mention..but I think that as someone else posted the 'life for a life' way is kinda good. Well if you did it on purpose and intentionally anyway...

Edited by Chloee, 14 April 2011 - 10:23 AM.

#74 mjcm

mjcm
  • 122 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 April 2011 - 04:08 AM

There is definitely a reason why the death penalty is being imposed. In case of doubts regarding court decision, we must always presume that justice and equity was the moving power behind it. There is a legal presumption in law that all acts of the legislature (which in this case is the law which allows death penalty) are constitutional unless proven to the contrary. There are actually researches which states that in countries where the death penalty is imposed, there is actually lesser crime rate. Take for example Asian countries like China, Saudi Arabia, and the like, most of the crimes they impose with death penalty are not actually that grave. But they see it as a crime contrary to the deepest sense of morality. In this sense, it became subjective. Nevertheless, we could do nothing about it because it is the law. DURA LEX SED LEX. The law maybe harsh, but it is the law.

#75 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:55 AM

i support the death penalty as well, but only for things like intentional murder and the like. and i also believe that it does in fact act as a deterrent for more serious crimes. well at least for rational people anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users