• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#51 yoongguk

yoongguk
  • 534 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:54 PM

http://www.neocodex....__fromsearch__1

I'll bump it to the front page for good measure. :p

Cheers! I read the post and think it's a great idea! Does it have to be PS'd? Because I cannot express how bad at PS I am.
I'd be happy to try and hand draw it, though.

#52 yoongguk

yoongguk
  • 534 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:58 PM

It absolutely does NOT have to be PS'ed. I just figured it would be easier to find someone with PS skills than actual artistic skill. :p

If you get bored and wanna give it a go, I'd be stoked to see how you envision it. :)

If you have any further questions about it because I wasn't clear enough in my original post, do not hesitate to contact me.

Sweet! It will give me something to do between classes/when I can't sleep :)
I hit a brick wall with trying to design my next tattoo so this will be a refreshing break!

#53 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:00 AM

How about "The floor is just the biggest shelf"?

You got a laugh. You don't always, but this time, you got one.

Better than quotes by Palahniuk, would be a phonetic deconstruction of his name.
I can never get that bastard right first time.

Nietzsche is a bitch, too.

You got a second one.

Ummm, I'm going to have to echo that comment about latin earlier. This is a superficial reason to change the language, but it's always easier to talk about your tattoo (esp. a quote) if it's foreign to people. Latin will do that, but not any more than any other foreign language. You should also consider the way certain languages look. The most obvious example would be eastern languages(Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc) compared to latin based alphabets, but the buck doesn't stop there. Personally, I love the way arabic and farsi look. If you've never seen it written... go to deviantart and look for some arabic caligraphy. Fucking epic.

#54 yoongguk

yoongguk
  • 534 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:04 AM

You got a laugh. You don't always, but this time, you got one.

You got a second one.

Ummm, I'm going to have to echo that comment about latin earlier. This is a superficial reason to change the language, but it's always easier to talk about your tattoo (esp. a quote) if it's foreign to people. Latin will do that, but not any more than any other foreign language. You should also consider the way certain languages look. The most obvious example would be eastern languages(Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc) compared to latin based alphabets, but the buck doesn't stop there. Personally, I love the way arabic and farsi look. If you've never seen it written... go to deviantart and look for some arabic caligraphy. Fucking epic.

I really like the way Arabic calligraphy looks, but I wouldn't think of getting it tattoo'd because it's not my culture and I don't know anything about it. At least I know that English came from Latin. Plus, I think Latin quotes sound really nice when spoken.

#55 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:28 AM

it's not my culture and I don't know anything about it.

So? It doesn't take a genius to appreciate Rembrandt's art. Nor does it take an art history major to appreciate the design of Laocoon and His Sons.

Art is subjective. You can find beauty in anything, regardless of where it comes from. To cut yourself off from something simply because it's foreign is ignorance in it's base form: xenophobia. Fear of the other.

Oh, and modern English came about from a variety of sources. The Latin in English largely came to be there because of the historical French presence in England. French, like other romance languages, is derived (form-wise, not content-wise) from Latin. English doesn't 'come from' Latin, anymore than it comes from Norse-German or insular Celtic.

#56 yoongguk

yoongguk
  • 534 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:39 AM

So? It doesn't take a genius to appreciate Rembrandt's art. Nor does it take an art history major to appreciate the design of Laocoon and His Sons.

Art is subjective. You can find beauty in anything, regardless of where it comes from. To cut yourself off from something simply because it's foreign is ignorance in it's base form: xenophobia. Fear of the other.

True that it doesn't take an art buff to appreciate great art, but I wouldn't want to tattoo something on myself that I know nothing about. It's personal preference. I'm not saying that it should apply to everyone thinking of getting Arabic script as a tattoo. Off the record, I don't think it's ignorant at all. I wouldn't want to get an Arabic tattoo (or any other foreign tattoo) and have people asking me questions I can't answer on it.

But, that's just my opinion.

Oh, and modern English came about from a variety of sources. The Latin in English largely came to be there because of the historical French presence in England. French, like other romance languages, is derived (form-wise, not content-wise) from Latin. English doesn't 'come from' Latin, anymore than it comes from Norse-German or insular Celtic.

I still have a very basic understanding of Latin, French and German. I'm fluent in Irish. Most Celtic languages have very little difference between them. I'm just saying that I would personally feel hypocritical if I were to permanently have something in my skin just because it looks nice and have absolutely no knowledge on it.

Edited by Swarley, 08 December 2010 - 12:40 AM.

#57 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:44 AM

Pain never dies, love is its fuel.

#58 yoongguk

yoongguk
  • 534 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:45 AM

Pain never dies, love is its fuel.

I quite like that.

#59 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:53 AM

True that it doesn't take an art buff to appreciate great art, but I wouldn't want to tattoo something on myself that I know nothing about. It's personal preference. I'm not saying that it should apply to everyone thinking of getting Arabic script as a tattoo. Off the record, I don't think it's ignorant at all. I wouldn't want to get an Arabic tattoo (or any other foreign tattoo) and have people asking me questions I can't answer on it.

I still have a very basic understanding of Latin, French and German. I'm fluent in Irish. Most Celtic languages have very little difference between them. I'm just saying that I would personally feel hypocritical if I were to permanently have something in my skin just because it looks nice and have absolutely no knowledge on it.

Well, I'm not saying get a tattoo you're totally ignorant about :p Obviously the plan of action would be to google some examples, then think of what you want it to say, then get someone to write it for you... etc.

If it were me, I'd know what every line, every stroke meant before putting it to my skin. So I guess we're in agreement there.

About your languages, cool! I'm of Irish descent and I've always regretted not knowing (fluently) the language of my ancestors. I know... giota beag. Same as french, really. Un peu :p Je pense francais est un peu plus utile de irlandaise, pour entreprise, non?

#60 yoongguk

yoongguk
  • 534 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:58 AM

Well, I'm not saying get a tattoo you're totally ignorant about :p Obviously the plan of action would be to google some examples, then think of what you want it to say, then get someone to write it for you... etc.

If it were me, I'd know what every line, every stroke meant before putting it to my skin. So I guess we're in agreement there.

About your languages, cool! I'm of Irish descent and I've always regretted not knowing (fluently) the language of my ancestors. I know... giota beag. Same as french, really. Un peu :p Je pense francais est un peu plus utile de irlandaise, pour entreprise, non?

Très bien! ^_^ Irish is pretty much useless unless you go to an Irish-medium school, or live in a Gaeltacht area. Neither of which I do XD

Since I've left school my Irish has deteriorated terribly, but I'm proud of my language and I have my gold fáinne.

(Off topic, sorry D: )

Edited by Swarley, 08 December 2010 - 01:01 AM.

#61 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:04 AM

Getting a tattoo in a foreign language is just stupid. Imagine you have a tattoo on your arm with some epic qoute on it. No one walking by, or seeing it ill know what it means. Everyone has tattoos of foreign languages so 90% of the people wont even bother asking what it says. Now if you had it in english, people would be like, "Fucking awesome qoute" and you'll be like, "Yeah whatever" and they will be like, "So you from around here?" and you'll be like, "Unfortunately". And BAM. Friendship already started <3

#62 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:09 AM

Getting a tattoo in a foreign language is just stupid. Imagine you have a tattoo on your arm with some epic qoute on it. No one walking by, or seeing it ill know what it means. Everyone has tattoos of foreign languages so 90% of the people wont even bother asking what it says. Now if you had it in english, people would be like, "Fucking awesome qoute" and you'll be like, "Yeah whatever" and they will be like, "So you from around here?" and you'll be like, "Unfortunately". And BAM. Friendship already started <3

You better live it up, because I don't think I'll ever say this again. You make a fair point.

#63 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:11 AM

You better live it up, because I don't think I'll ever say this again. You make a fair point.

Whoooooo :)

#64 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:13 AM

Très bien! ^_^ Irish is pretty much useless unless you go to an Irish-medium school, or live in a Gaeltacht area. Neither of which I do XD

Since I've left school my Irish has deteriorated terribly, but I'm proud of my language and I have my gold fáinne.

(Off topic, sorry D: )

I was going to get an fáinne, but then I realized no one in America knows what the fuck it is. Plus I'd have to get a silver one... because a real irish speaker might come along and school me if I'm wearing the gold :p

#65 yoongguk

yoongguk
  • 534 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:25 AM

I was going to get an fáinne, but then I realized no one in America knows what the fuck it is. Plus I'd have to get a silver one... because a real irish speaker might come along and school me if I'm wearing the gold :p

Only the obnoxious ones. :p I kid. Generally, people don't care ^_^

I actually got pretty annoyed when I got mine. I was taught Irish all through primary school. Really, Irish is my first language. I had to get English lessons OUTSIDE of primary school until I was 13. So I've been learning Irish from I was 5. I only got my fáinne 2 years ago.
But what annoyed me was there were people in my class who got their fáinne after only taking 3 classes a week for 2 years. They had terrible reading, writing, translating and speaking skills. Basically, their Irish was at the same level mine was when I was 10. :p

But, who am I to judge? :p

#66 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:26 AM

Hobo sounds like he is Irish.

#67 yoongguk

yoongguk
  • 534 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:27 AM

Hobo sounds like he is Irish.

Mr. Hobo?

#68 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:29 AM

Mr. Hobo?

Yeah.

Btw. Can you record yourself saying, "they are after me lucky charms?"

Pretty please?

#69 yoongguk

yoongguk
  • 534 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:32 AM

Yeah.

Btw. Can you record yourself saying, "they are after me lucky charms?"

Pretty please?

Haha! I've got a Northern accent, unfortunately :c

#70 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:34 AM

Haha! I've got a Northern accent, unfortunately :c

I dunno what that means.

Record Record Record!

#71 yoongguk

yoongguk
  • 534 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:37 AM

I dunno what that means.

Record Record Record!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UgpfSp2t6k&feature=fvw

Listen to her from 0:19
She does a southern & northern accent. I have the latter and would rather not record it ;_;

#72 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:39 AM

I dunno what that means.

Record Record Record!

He's from Ulster, not the countryside. The suthn'ers have a bit of a drawl sometimes. Not that the north doesn't have its own regional peculiarities.

#73 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:40 AM

Listen to her from 0:19
She does a southern & northern accent. I have the latter and would rather not record it ;_;

Cant tell the difference. And I demand to hear it!!!

He's from Ulster, not the countryside. The suthn'ers have a bit of a drawl sometimes. Not that the north doesn't have its own regional peculiarities.

Hes a SHE. You douche.

#74 yoongguk

yoongguk
  • 534 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:43 AM

Pretty much every county has a different dialect ^_^
Even different towns situated right next to each other have distinctly different accents.

Cant tell the difference. And I demand to hear it!!!

Hes a SHE. You douche.

I'll think about it Posted Image

And I'm definitely changing my username to something a little more feminine.

#75 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:48 AM

Pretty much every county has a different dialect ^_^
Even different towns situated right next to each other have distinctly different accents.

I'll think about it Posted Image

And I'm definitely changing my username to something a little more feminine.

This isn't something to decide....

Make it. "YESIAMAGIRLBITCH"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users