Quantcast

Photo

Working Neopoint Generator (Works with plot)

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 04:05 PM

So this is pretty cool.

http://techcrunch.co...book-delivered/

Two Days After Unveiling, Cr-48 Chrome Notebook Already Showing Up On Doorsteps

MG Siegler
8 hours ago

Ben Kessler woke up to an unexpected surprise on the doorstep of his New York home this morning: a Cr-48. Yes, the just-unveiled Google Chrome Notebook is already rolling out to those who requested one.

It was only two days ago that Google unveiled that the Cr-48 would be the first computer featuring their new Chrome OS. Google was quick to note that the 12.1-inch machine would feature no branding and was simply meant to be a test machine for developers, students, and a few other demographics. They asked people to fill out a form here to request one of the limited-quantity Cr-48s.

Kessler, who is the Communications Director for SeatGeek, says he simply filled out the form on Google’s site to request one. And *poof* less than two days later, here it is.

Google keeps saying that Chrome is all about speed. That’s apparently true about delivery speed as well.

Kessler was nice enough to send us some pictures of the device below...

#2 Ment0r

Ment0r
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 04:30 PM

mislabeled topics are misleading

I WANT ONE!!!:x3:

Edited by PR4Y, 09 December 2010 - 04:30 PM.

#3 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2010 - 04:38 PM

so where is the NP generator

#4 Paincakez

Paincakez
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 05:06 PM

Derp.jpeg

#5 Barophobia

Barophobia
  • 612 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:28 AM

k u made me look

#6 Hurricane

Hurricane
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:28 AM

thing looks like a 1995 thinkpad....way to fail on aesthetics :X

#7 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:55 AM

GAWD you gotta stop with the misleading titles. :p

But yeah this chrome os thing sounds fast, real fast. My life is on firefox though. But where does your music download too as in like how will you get it into your ipod etc.

And like how do you setup the wireless network connection to your local network??
Looks real fast though I want one but not with chrome.

Come no USB??? It needs a usb port for like a mouse!

#8 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:59 AM

Noit plz add a negative rep button

#9 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:14 AM

GAWD you gotta stop with the misleading titles. :p

But yeah this chrome os thing sounds fast, real fast. My life is on firefox though. But where does your music download too as in like how will you get it into your ipod etc.

And like how do you setup the wireless network connection to your local network??
Looks real fast though I want one but not with chrome.

Come no USB??? It needs a usb port for like a mouse!

1) Instant web
Chrome OS based notebooks boot in about 10 seconds and resume from sleep instantly. Your favorite websites load quickly and run smoothly, with full support for the latest web standards and Adobe Flash.
2) Same experience everywhere
All your apps, documents, and settings are stored safely in the cloud. So even if you lose your computer, you can just log into another Chrome notebook and get right back to work.
3) Always connected
Integrated Wi-Fi for home and work, and 3G for all the places in between. 100MB of free 3G data every month on the Verizon Wireless network.
4) Security built in
Going online doesn’t have to be scary. Chrome notebooks use advanced technology to help prevent malware and viruses from accessing your data. And you never have to lift a finger.
5) Forever fresh
The web evolves rapidly. Your Chrome OS based notebook evolves with it. Every time you turn it on, it upgrades itself with the latest features and fixes. Annoying update prompts not included.
6) Amazing web apps
Every Chrome notebook runs millions of web apps, from games to spreadsheets to photo editors. Try the latest apps from the Chrome Web Store or just type URLs into the address bar – no CDs required.

#10 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:33 AM

haha screw you guys. It's what i would change and why i cant live without a desktop even if i had one.
Im not a fan of the online versions of word/excel/etc.
Development on that is gotta be hell. You have to wait for files to download/upload all the time. I guess you say yeah you have load times on a non-netbook but those load times are much faster then your data transfer speeds.
And mouse?? What about mouse guys seriously? I need to be able to connect a mouse.
10 second startup has got to be max.

As a student I couldn't have done the stuff I needed (engineer).
As a programmer I couldn't do the stuff I need.
Have you see the photo editors they're talking about?
And in running the equivalent in web apps i doubt the best javascript performance.

I do like the virus free stuff but I'm sure it can be targetted.

If they don't have usb for mouse/printer/whatever i want bluetooth that would be awesome.

Anyways bottom line: I want one, with bluetooth for mouse(should ship with it), and firefox instead of chrome.

#11 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:38 AM

haha screw you guys. It's what i would change and why i cant live without a desktop even if i had one.
Im not a fan of the online versions of word/excel/etc.
Development on that is gotta be hell. You have to wait for files to download/upload all the time. I guess you say yeah you have load times on a non-netbook but those load times are much faster then your data transfer speeds.
And mouse?? What about mouse guys seriously? I need to be able to connect a mouse.
10 second startup has got to be max.

As a student I couldn't have done the stuff I needed (engineer).
As a programmer I couldn't do the stuff I need.
Have you see the photo editors they're talking about?
And in running the equivalent in web apps i doubt the best javascript performance.

I do like the virus free stuff but I'm sure it can be targetted.

If they don't have usb for mouse/printer/whatever i want bluetooth that would be awesome.

Anyways bottom line: I want one, with bluetooth for mouse(should ship with it), and firefox instead of chrome.

First, it's all about the web. All apps are web apps. The entire experience takes place within the browser and there are no conventional desktop applications. This means users do not have to deal with installing, managing and updating programs.

Second, because all apps live within the browser, there are significant benefits to security. Unlike traditional operating systems, Chrome OS doesn't trust the applications you run. Each app is contained within a security sandbox making it harder for malware and viruses to infect your computer. Furthermore, Chrome OS barely trusts itself. Every time you restart your computer the operating system verifies the integrity of its code. If your system has been compromised, it is designed to fix itself with a reboot. While no computer can be made completely secure, we're going to make life much harder (and less profitable) for the bad guys.

Most of all, we are obsessed with speed. We are taking out every unnecessary process, optimizing many operations and running everything possible in parallel. This means you can go from turning on the computer to surfing the web in a few seconds. Our obsession with speed goes all the way down to the metal. We are specifying reference hardware components to create the fastest experience for Google Chrome OS.

And it's been an open source OS for the last year.

#12 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:51 AM

Yeah man I want one just with changes. I agree with all they say, they haven't said you could do your life on one of these things. I think a netbook is perfect for going out with and then coming back home to.

btw were the first ones given out free?

OH one thing i need is the frikin CAPS LOCK key. WTF I hear it doesn't have one??

Oh also, is there an offline mode? Im really hoping there is...

#13 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:19 PM

Yeah man I want one just with changes. I agree with all they say, they haven't said you could do your life on one of these things. I think a netbook is perfect for going out with and then coming back home to.

btw were the first ones given out free?

OH one thing i need is the frikin CAPS LOCK key. WTF I hear it doesn't have one??

Oh also, is there an offline mode? Im really hoping there is...

They put a search button in place of the caps lock key, but there's a way to change it back easily in the options. There's an offline mode in a sense.

it can work offline pretty well, with apps having an offline mode that saves current state at exit, allowing you to resume work while not connected to the Internet.

This offline mode could also help when the Internet connection is slow, as it would be in many occasions for road warriors or for those with weak hard-line connections. What’s not here yet is support for USB devices, which is a must if you ask me and it’s not clear yet how you would install drivers on each machine where you log in with your Google credentials.

#14 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:30 PM

Another horrible idea, like the ipad. Sadly I can see it being used. Though only by a few.

Long live Microsoft.

#15 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:37 PM

Haha cloud programs are the future.

#16 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:46 PM

First, it's all about the web. All apps are web apps. The entire experience takes place within the browser and there are no conventional desktop applications. This means users do not have to deal with installing, managing and updating programs.

Second, because all apps live within the browser, there are significant benefits to security. Unlike traditional operating systems, Chrome OS doesn't trust the applications you run. Each app is contained within a security sandbox making it harder for malware and viruses to infect your computer. Furthermore, Chrome OS barely trusts itself. Every time you restart your computer the operating system verifies the integrity of its code. If your system has been compromised, it is designed to fix itself with a reboot. While no computer can be made completely secure, we're going to make life much harder (and less profitable) for the bad guys.

Most of all, we are obsessed with speed. We are taking out every unnecessary process, optimizing many operations and running everything possible in parallel. This means you can go from turning on the computer to surfing the web in a few seconds. Our obsession with speed goes all the way down to the metal. We are specifying reference hardware components to create the fastest experience for Google Chrome OS.

And it's been an open source OS for the last year.

You do realize that Windows 7 verifies its own code too right?

Anyways. On to your other points.

Your going to trust all of your data, and all of your information to a single company? Smart. This can never ever ever ever ever ever be used in a business environment. Imagine going to Intel and telling them that they are going to start storing their latest works online. Fat Chance. Security is about controlling your data. Your data online = bad. Bad. Bad. So this leaves only home users haven't a need for this.

Next we have, lack of applications. How many Apps are available for it now? How many will be available in the future? Is Google going to bundle ads with these to make it so they can afford to host the applications?

Security... I have all of the security I need with Windows 7/Google Chrome combinations. Why would I need to change anything? The only possible way to give me a virus is to trick me into downloading something, and thats not going to happen.

ITs a silly idea. I'm kinda ashamed at google for even coming up with this idea.

#17 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:06 PM

You do realize that Windows 7 verifies its own code too right?

Anyways. On to your other points.

Your going to trust all of your data, and all of your information to a single company? Smart. This can never ever ever ever ever ever be used in a business environment. Imagine going to Intel and telling them that they are going to start storing their latest works online. Fat Chance. Security is about controlling your data. Your data online = bad. Bad. Bad. So this leaves only home users haven't a need for this.

Next we have, lack of applications. How many Apps are available for it now? How many will be available in the future? Is Google going to bundle ads with these to make it so they can afford to host the applications?

Security... I have all of the security I need with Windows 7/Google Chrome combinations. Why would I need to change anything? The only possible way to give me a virus is to trick me into downloading something, and thats not going to happen.

ITs a silly idea. I'm kinda ashamed at google for even coming up with this idea.

You're right. Google doesn't know business. It's probably going to fail. Have fun watching how much Microsoft copies when it's successful. I mean, you're right about everything, you think black is a color.

#18 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:16 PM

You're right. Google doesn't know business. It's probably going to fail. Have fun watching how much Microsoft copies when it's successful. I mean, you're right about everything, you think black is a color.

Explain to me how it will be used in a business environment, and I might consider it as a possibility.

#19 Icey Defeat

Icey Defeat
  • 8298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:19 PM

Explain to me how it will be used in a business environment, and I might consider it as a possibility.

I just spent a semester researching the cloud. It is the future, we all have to deal with it. Imagine a world where you do not need to upgrade your computer every few years, in fact, the only upgrading that will be needed is your internet service as that is all we will depend on. With 1 gig up / down the world will be on the cloud, there is too much upside with it. Google just happens to be leading right now with their cloud technology (and their cars that drive themselves technology).

#20 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:22 PM

I just spent a semester researching the cloud. It is the future, we all have to deal with it. Imagine a world where you do not need to upgrade your computer every few years, in fact, the only upgrading that will be needed is your internet service as that is all we will depend on. With 1 gig up / down the world will be on the cloud, there is too much upside with it. Google just happens to be leading right now with their cloud technology (and their cars that drive themselves technology).

Clouding is the worst possible idea for security though. :|.

Like I said. Tell me how this will be viable in a business (And not some small business) and I might consider it.

And you dont have to upgrade your computer ever few years as it is. I used a computer from 1990 until 2009. It did everything I needed it to do.

#21 Icey Defeat

Icey Defeat
  • 8298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:29 PM

Clouding is the worst possible idea for security though. :|.

Like I said. Tell me how this will be viable in a business (And not some small business) and I might consider it.

And you dont have to upgrade your computer ever few years as it is. I used a computer from 1990 until 2009. It did everything I needed it to do.

Forgive me, but running the 'newest' technology is not possible right now without using 'new' hardware. Newish usually works, but still, 10 years is stretching it. For a summary answer:

Cloud allows for, extremely high scalability (like literally no roof), low start-up costs / upkeep costs, cheaper resources, and no need to really ever get new computers for your company. I know I am missing something, but my paper is on my school account <_<. There are of course downsides, legality issues are at the forefront there, not security. In fact, the biggest issue is probably who is liable for the content on the cloud, in theory everyone is and everyone is not.

#22 Whyumad

Whyumad
  • 457 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:32 PM

Damn, fell for another one of these again...

#23 Connery

Connery
  • 535 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:39 PM

Damn, fell for another one of these again...

But you got one post closer to 500, so who gives a damn, am I right. :whistling:

#24 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:39 PM

Forgive me, but running the 'newest' technology is not possible right now without using 'new' hardware. Newish usually works, but still, 10 years is stretching it. For a summary answer:

Cloud allows for, extremely high scalability (like literally no roof), low start-up costs / upkeep costs, cheaper resources, and no need to really ever get new computers for your company. I know I am missing something, but my paper is on my school account <_<. There are of course downsides, legality issues are at the forefront there, not security. In fact, the biggest issue is probably who is liable for the content on the cloud, in theory everyone is and everyone is not.

Like. Good thing your not a security expert.

Cloud computing is very very bad for security. For one, you put all of your data in one location. All a hacker has to do is gain access to here you put your servers, and he has everything. You also give access to all of the data from a single computer. That helps the hacker with getting access to the data. Your data is also sent over the internet, and so you still have to deal with the whole fact that someone could eavesdrop in and steal your data.

Then finally, you have to worry about who your trusting with your data. If your computer is managing the servers and everything. Then sure, this doesn't really exist, but with this Chrome idea your letting Google handle your data. Thats putting trust in a third party with your secrets. Thats a red flag no no right there. Never ever ever do that. Ever.

Your also thinking of cloud computing as some kind of magical ability.

The server still has to be able to handle all of your users, and do all of the processing. Imagine your a computer with a thousand users, all doing some video editing. Can you imagine the kind of server that you would need to be able to handle that kind of data? Your going to have to keep upgrading the server to keep handling the data.

Cloud computer just means that you have to upgrade the server, rather then the desktops. Desktops last longer then servers in terms of usabilty because the server has to compute both its own data, and someone elses data. Whereas the workstation only computes its own data.

#25 Icey Defeat

Icey Defeat
  • 8298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:43 PM

Like. Good thing your not a security expert.

Cloud computing is very very bad for security. For one, you put all of your data in one location. All a hacker has to do is gain access to here you put your servers, and he has everything. You also give access to all of the data from a single computer. That helps the hacker with getting access to the data. Your data is also sent over the internet, and so you still have to deal with the whole fact that someone could eavesdrop in and steal your data.

Then finally, you have to worry about who your trusting with your data. If your computer is managing the servers and everything. Then sure, this doesn't really exist, but with this Chrome idea your letting Google handle your data. Thats putting trust in a third party with your secrets. Thats a red flag no no right there. Never ever ever do that. Ever.

Your also thinking of cloud computing as some kind of magical ability.

The server still has to be able to handle all of your users, and do all of the processing. Imagine your a computer with a thousand users, all doing some video editing. Can you imagine the kind of server that you would need to be able to handle that kind of data? Your going to have to keep upgrading the server to keep handling the data.

Cloud computer just means that you have to upgrade the server, rather then the desktops. Desktops last longer then servers in terms of usabilty because the server has to compute both its own data, and someone elses data. Whereas the workstation only computes its own data.

Private clouds are intranet based and don't have any access to the WWW. Now point out some downsides.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users