Quantcast

Photo

Working Neopoint Generator (Works with plot)

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:55 PM

Private clouds are intranet based and don't have any access to the WWW. Now point out some downsides.

Okay. If your going to ignore everything else that I said. Goodbye.

#27 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:56 PM

Private clouds are intranet based and don't have any access to the WWW. Now point out some downsides.

There aren't many. Hence why Chrome OS is the most secure OS made.

#28 Icey Defeat

Icey Defeat
  • 8298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:00 PM

Okay. If your going to ignore everything else that I said. Goodbye.

All your 'security issues' are eliminated with private clouds. I never said anything about unlimited users, but I don't know if you have noticed Google seems to be doing quite fine in that department right now. As far as high scalability, I also never said it was free. But at a (cheaper) cost you can increase your scalability by allocating more space (applies more to public clouds, but public clouds are important for businesses too). Private clouds don't really need as much space as public clouds anyways.

#29 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:07 PM

All your 'security issues' are eliminated with private clouds. I never said anything about unlimited users, but I don't know if you have noticed Google seems to be doing quite fine in that department right now. As far as high scalability, I also never said it was free. But at a (cheaper) cost you can increase your scalability by allocating more space (applies more to public clouds, but public clouds are important for businesses too). Private clouds don't really need as much space as public clouds anyways.

See. Ignoring part of my post. Let me repeat.

You place all of your data on one location. Making it extremely easy for a hacker to penetrate your data, and take everything. You also give people access to all of the data in one location. Intranet clouds are also a huge risk because your data is still being transferred over the internet. Your basically handing anyone that can hear it, your data. Which is just epic fail.

Google chrome also only hosts docs and such. I don't see anyone doing video editing on their servers. My computer can also open ten thousand word documents. No big deal, but can Google Computers edit 10,000 videos (Assuming you give 6gb of ram to each editing session, which is really weak. You need 60,000 gb of ram. GL)

Your lack of knowledge of security makes me cry. Do you also use apple products?

#30 Icey Defeat

Icey Defeat
  • 8298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:34 PM

See. Ignoring part of my post. Let me repeat.

You place all of your data on one location. Making it extremely easy for a hacker to penetrate your data, and take everything. You also give people access to all of the data in one location. Intranet clouds are also a huge risk because your data is still being transferred over the internet. Your basically handing anyone that can hear it, your data. Which is just epic fail.

Google chrome also only hosts docs and such. I don't see anyone doing video editing on their servers. My computer can also open ten thousand word documents. No big deal, but can Google Computers edit 10,000 videos (Assuming you give 6gb of ram to each editing session, which is really weak. You need 60,000 gb of ram. GL)

Your lack of knowledge of security makes me cry. Do you also use apple products?

Good to see your name is appropriate. I see your point, but you are being too harsh on the cloud. RAM is getting relatively cheap and using it as an argument is dumb, especially when someone like Google or Microsoft is involved and they probably have 60,000 GB of RAM laying around in a warehouse.

Obviously there are security risks, if someone hacked Google right now (just an example) they could, in theory, have access to information on just about everyone, an easy way to become anyone. I guess I don't see how this is any different. Multiple servers will be used on the cloud, just like websites now a days. Access to parts of the cloud are going to be separated. The blue print is still being laid out, and security is obviously going to be important. But first we have to settle legal issues. Who is legally responsible (between ISP and cloud owner), who has legal governance (damn near impossible to track what is where), making contracts in general, etc.

I'm not ignoring your points, I am trying to move past them because obviously I am not a security guy and someone more worried about getting sued out of my ass for posting stuff on the cloud. Like I said, my term paper in IT Law was on the Future of Cloud Computing, so I am a bit of a self proclaimed expert in the area. Which means nothing because there is really no legal precedence to the cloud as there has to be a court ruling, not just a settlement, for a precedence.

PS - I am a Windows Guy. I use Windows 7 on my Gateway FX laptop. Due to heating issues, I recently switched to Google Chrome due to it using less RAM. I own a Motorola Droid and am about to graduate with a degree in software engineering. Stop insulting my security knowledge, lets move past that.

Edited by Icey Defeat, 11 December 2010 - 09:36 PM.

#31 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:30 PM

I'm a security guy. I focus on security. Because everyone else ignores it :(.

I use Google Chrome (The browser) because a)its sooo much faster and b)Sandboxing + Windows 7 security is currently unable to be exploited.

I just do not see cloud computer as part of a viable alternative to using an actual computer. Despite the security implementations, it requires a lot of hardware to handle it as well. We are not talking about just 60,000 pieces of ram. But 60,000 video cards, and 60,000 dualcore cpu's to handle all of that. IT would have to be a collection of super computers to even dare handle it.

Onlive is something that interests me. I like where they are going with it. But who knows how it will work out. Cloud computer would severely limit what I could do on a day to day basis.

I have over a thousand programs installed on my computer. Would all of those be added to a cloud? Or would I only get to use whatever programs that the cloud offers?

#32 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:20 AM

Cant someone just password crack you and get all your data? Like people do with neopets accounts.

With Chrome OS you can't fully replace your desktop. It's impossible. Unless javascript becomes some super amazing thing.

It's so great to hear you can turn on caps lock, its crucial in my coding. But the other important thing is side by side files/tabs. I do this a lot a lot. I'm sure any web dev does.

Chrome OS i think is good for just browsing the web though and any small file management. ie: docs etc. Im sure you would want that on your ms office though for final touch ups. ie: my design project paper was made it word, impossible to do in google docs

#33 PeonYourLawn

PeonYourLawn
  • 538 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:00 PM

submitted by application for one :D

#34 Frank12

Frank12
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this user!

• 276 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:29 PM

so where is the np generator. and what is it? like what is a np generator

#35 Daywalker88

Daywalker88
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:59 PM

IT looked like a lot of people were posting that this topic fooled them, and then the notion was made that it still gets you one post closer to 500 posts. which is true and also the underlying reason behind my abnormally long typed out spam post. thank you for your time.

#36 zevrom

zevrom
  • 411 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:41 AM

Where do you download it??
freeze rate?

#37 Faval

Faval
  • 637 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:31 AM

All these grave diggers reminded me...I never got my free laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users