• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Pirates

Pirates
  • 302 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:44 PM

http://www.neopets.com/~amadeoh

Information on what the purge is.

I'm so excited :o I have a name I desperately want and am going to be stalking C:

I'm going to be best friends with the pet creator for a bit :3

Anyone else trying to create a pet?

#2 bakedpotato

bakedpotato
  • 153 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:47 PM

Would you mind copying what it says there over to here? For some reason it wont load for me.

#3 Turtleboy

Turtleboy
  • 424 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:51 PM

yeah, me neither.

lately (like the past few hours - I can't do anything with items and I can't go to user lookups)
Everytime I click something - it just shows up as a blank page. So damn bizarre.

#4 jaredennisclark

jaredennisclark
  • 838 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:52 PM

Page saved in zip file if you still need it: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N90J97I6

I skimmed the page a bit, and didn't find any specifics. Do you know exactly when this will be happening?

#5 Pirates

Pirates
  • 302 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:55 PM

from The Editorial
Issue 427:
Purge the pitiful! Why don't you guys just kill the old accounts whose owners don't go on anymore? It would make lots of people happy because they could finally make a Neopet with the name they have always wanted, plus it would clear up the servers and make Neopets faster, right? ~peppermint_patty_14

We're actually planning another account purge soon, probably during the upcoming months. So if there are any accounts that you haven't visited for years and would like to keep, we suggest logging into them to let us know you'd like to keep them. Issue 436:
I was thinking of creating a new Neopet the other day and couldn't come up with a good name. Finally, I turned to the suggestion box, which came up with _8e_prince_sq6_28. Now, I don't know about you, but I absolutely loved this name! 0:-) Anyway, I think everyone (myself included) would like to know when some of those long-abandoned and frozen Neopet and account names will become available again. Thanks. :) ~cmoney4
D: That's, uh... quite a name. Glad you liked it. ;D The Neopets that got stuck in the Pound while it was down are still being released into Neopia, and as we mentioned some Editorials back, an unused account purge is scheduled in the not-terribly-distant future, which will free up quality names like __t4_happy_dance_201b!

News about the purge:
Issue 452:
TNT, I was just wondering: did the name purge mentioned in January really take place? Also, when will the next name purge be? Does the name purge only delete unused accounts, frozen accounts, or both? If this makes it in, please remove my username. Thanks! *throws chocolate* ~username removed

The purge is currently going on, but slowly, unlike previous times when we deleted massive numbers of accounts at once. The purge deletes long-abandoned accounts that were never used much at all, as well as very, very old frozen accounts.

Found here and here.

What's a purge?!:
purge [purj] verb, purged, purg·ing, noun
–verb (used with object)
2. to rid, clear, or free This is, essentially, what people mean when they say that TNT will be purging frozen and inactive accounts. The accounts and everything in them will be deleted from the servers (yes, that includes the pets) whenever TNT starts the process.

Why?:
Every account and pet takes up a little bit of room on the site servers. By deleting old accounts that haven't been touched in years, TNT is freeing up that bit of room. Most people are excited by the prospect of possibly being able to get a name they really like, but that was taken years ago. Yes, this means that a lot of the pets TNT deletes will most likely just be remade, but they'll hopefully go to people who are active on the site instead of staying on accounts that haven't been active in a long, long time.
When?:
Let's see... "soon" and "during the upcoming months". Vague, but close enough to keep you on your toes. IN OTHER WORDS: no one can tell you exactly when the purge will happen because we DON'T KNOW! Your guess is as good as mine.

Note: The purge is a whole process. It will NOT only last a few days. It will likely last a few months.

Who?:
No one can be 100% sure exactly which accounts will be deleted, but here are a few things to look for: little to no games, avatars and trophies, no painted pets and last seen "a long, long time ago." be careful with that last one. It starts saying this when someone hasn't been on for one (1) year and it's been said that TNT only deletes accounts that have been inactive/frozen for two (2) years or more! Note: there is absolutely no guarantee that an account will be purged. There were accounts that had been inactive for years before the last purge in 2007, and they still haven't been deleted.

List of accounts/pets that can be purged:

INACTIVE ACCOUNTS (2+ yrs)
FROZEN ACCOUNTS (2+ yrs)
& "NOT YET BORN" PETS

Page saved in zip file if you still need it: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N90J97I6

I skimmed the page a bit, and didn't find any specifics. Do you know exactly when this will be happening?

It already started the accounts purged are in "F" at the moment
firekid- last account purged so far :o It goes in alphabetical order

#6 jaredennisclark

jaredennisclark
  • 838 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:56 PM

How do you know that was the last account? :lookaround:

Are you getting that info from that petpage?

Edited by jaredennisclark, 25 December 2010 - 10:57 PM.

#7 Pirates

Pirates
  • 302 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:58 PM

I'm not sure I would get my hopes up too much. No set starting times for the purge, and they are somewhat random and take many months to complete. Doesn't hurt to try I suppose. :)

The purge is happening 24/7 so I've been told :o
Just need to wait slowly :/ I'm going to have to wait a long time for my name to come up.

#8 Turtleboy

Turtleboy
  • 424 posts

Where did you find out the last name purged though?

#9 Pirates

Pirates
  • 302 posts

How do you know that was the last account? :lookaround:

Are you getting that info from that petpage?

I'm following the purge boards in PC
They are tracking the last purges because it follows alphabetical order

#10 Turtleboy

Turtleboy
  • 424 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:01 PM

PC, do you mind pm-ing me a link?
Thanks for your time!

#11 vrtx

vrtx
  • 170 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 05:19 AM

Thanks for your time!

Me as well please.

#12 equitatus

equitatus
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:52 AM

thats pretty cool.........
But I have an old account i lost the pass to.......and i hope it doesnt get deleted....

#13 Kido

Kido
  • 1046 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:19 AM

Yeah. I have an old account. I remember the pass but not the username and the pets on that account had names with so many numbers in them that I can't remember so I can't look them up -_-

#14 Pirates

Pirates
  • 302 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:47 AM

My old main was purged back in 2007 maybe yours were too? If you haven't logged in awhile then maybe it has already been purged :X

#15 Kido

Kido
  • 1046 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:28 AM

how do you know if your account has been purged? o.0

#16 equitatus

equitatus
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:15 AM

YEah i had 11mil
....a halloween lupe and a peach chia with a yellow harris stashed on that account....................................................................................................

But i gave up all hope of figuring the pass

#17 Turtleboy

Turtleboy
  • 424 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:16 PM

how do you know if your account has been purged? o.0

Well, you can follow the board.
Apparently, this purge is going in alphabetical order - so if they're past your name and you look up your account and it's not there anymore - it's been purged.
Otherwise, it hasn't been purged.

#18 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 December 2010 - 01:58 PM

Well, you can follow the board.
Apparently, this purge is going in alphabetical order - so if they're past your name and you look up your account and it's not there anymore - it's been purged.
Otherwise, it hasn't been purged.

Or you could not follow the board at all, and just look up your name straight away.

#19 Turtleboy

Turtleboy
  • 424 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:00 PM

Or you could not follow the board at all, and just look up your name straight away.

Yeah, but you won't know if it's going to get purged or not.
If you follow the board, and they're past your name - you know for a fact that it hasn't been purged and it won't be for this specific purge.

#20 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:01 PM

Yeah, but you won't know if it's going to get purged or not.
If you follow the board, and they're past your name - you know for a fact that it hasn't been purged and it won't be for this specific purge.

That wasn't what he asked though, was it?

#21 Turtleboy

Turtleboy
  • 424 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:06 PM

That wasn't what he asked though, was it?

It's not like I'm giving him false information.
What I said isn't much harder. And my way is more helpful.
Why are you such a grinch :/

EDIT:
Pm sent your way V

Edited by Turtleboy, 26 December 2010 - 02:09 PM.

#22 yoongguk

yoongguk
  • 534 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:07 PM

Thanks for your time!

Me too if you don't mind, please.

#23 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:08 PM

It's not like it's that much harder. And my way is more helpful.
Why are you such a grinch :/

Adding unnecessary steps is likely to confuse stupid people. Which, if he couldn't work the solution out himself, he is.

And, probably a combination of genetic and environmental factors.

#24 DenyingSystems

DenyingSystems
  • 578 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:30 PM

I wish I had the patience to try to snag some well named pets that I could then sell and get a nice sum of NPs, but unfortunately, I don't :/

Good luck getting the name you want!

#25 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:17 PM

What's a not born yet pet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users