Photo

Foreign Movies anyone?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:55 AM

I'm tired of watching American movies, and recently this year I've been watching more films outside of the U.S. Just recently a hell of a good korean film called "A Man From Nowhere" if anyone has the chance to watch it you should try. Alot of people can say it has a cliche plot but the acting,plot, and fight sequences are all very well done. I encourage you to watch the trailer + Film :p

IMDB Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o3X4GqfZZ0

Anyone else care to give a movie?

Or anyone care to share a good T.V. series?

Edited by dk8932, 28 December 2010 - 01:16 PM.

#2 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:18 PM

http://www.neocodex...._1#entry1263872

El plagiarismo

Anyways, I plan on watching Stalker (some dude recommended it here, I've had it sitting around for years) and the Seventh Seal (had that sitting around for like a year). Anyone have any recommendations?

#3 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:29 PM

http://www.neocodex...._1#entry1263872

El plagiarismo

Anyways, I plan on watching Stalker (some dude recommended it here, I've had it sitting around for years) and the Seventh Seal (had that sitting around for like a year). Anyone have any recommendations?

well that list seems to be more of a french list. I'm looking for more asian, and european movies. (Probably more asian) I've tried watching some french films before but really have regretted watching most of them -_-

#4 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:48 PM

The Vengeance Trilogy...

- Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance - This is the story of Ryu, a deaf man, and his sister, who requires a kidney transplant. Ryu's boss, Park, has just laid him off, and in order to afford the transplant, Ryu and his girlfriend develop a plan to kidnap Park's daughter. Things go horribly wrong, and the situation spirals rapidly into a cycle of violence and revenge.

-Oldboy -After being kidnapped and imprisoned for 15 years, Oh Dae-Su is released, only to find that he must find his captor in 5 days. Seriously one of the best movies I have seen, foreign and domestic.

- Sympathy for Lady Vengeance - After a 13-year imprisonment for the kidnap and murder of a 6 year old boy, beautiful Lee Guem-ja starts seeking revenge on the man that was really responsible for the boy's death. With the help of fellow inmates and reunited with her daughter, she gets closer and closer to her goal. But will her actions lead to the relief she seeks?

Pan's Labryinth

City of God(Ciudade de Deus)

Trainspotting

Battle Royale

#5 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:53 PM

The Vengeance Trilogy...

- Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance - This is the story of Ryu, a deaf man, and his sister, who requires a kidney transplant. Ryu's boss, Park, has just laid him off, and in order to afford the transplant, Ryu and his girlfriend develop a plan to kidnap Park's daughter. Things go horribly wrong, and the situation spirals rapidly into a cycle of violence and revenge.

-Oldboy -After being kidnapped and imprisoned for 15 years, Oh Dae-Su is released, only to find that he must find his captor in 5 days. Seriously one of the best movies I have seen, foreign and domestic.

- Sympathy for Lady Vengeance - After a 13-year imprisonment for the kidnap and murder of a 6 year old boy, beautiful Lee Guem-ja starts seeking revenge on the man that was really responsible for the boy's death. With the help of fellow inmates and reunited with her daughter, she gets closer and closer to her goal. But will her actions lead to the relief she seeks?

Pan's Labryinth

City of God(Ciudade de Deus)

Trainspotting

Battle Royale

I've seen Oldboy already that was a great film, and City of God (: I'll look into the rest of the films you named though. Do you happen to know any good japanese flicks?

#6 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:54 PM

battle royale

godzilla?

#7 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:59 PM

battle royale

godzilla?

hmmm "Big Man Japan"
Quite a strange movie but I had some laughs with it

Godzilla...I can't believe I forgot that<_<

#8 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 December 2010 - 01:08 PM

Oh whoa that korean one looks real good.

#9 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 December 2010 - 01:11 PM

Quentin Tarantino Presents: Jet Li's Fearless

#10 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 01:14 PM

Oh whoa that korean one looks real good.

Which one? man from nowhere? Because it is lol Great quality if you can find the torrent on public sites.

Quentin Tarantino Presents: Jet Li's Fearless

Fearless was a great movie too ( : ;/ so hard to remember the good older movies

#11 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 December 2010 - 01:14 PM

Trainspotting

I like the fact that you include Trainspotting as a foreign film even though it is 100% in English. :p Is it really that difficult to understand the Scottish accent?

#12 Seaner

Seaner
  • 487 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 01:16 PM

City of God is one of my favorites.

Stalker is also a good one but I found parts of it a little hard to watch.

Edit: If you want a documentary, The Mark of Cain and The Great Happiness Space were ones I enjoyed as well.

Edited by Seaner, 28 December 2010 - 01:21 PM.

#13 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:14 PM

I like the fact that you include Trainspotting as a foreign film even though it is 100% in English. :p Is it really that difficult to understand the Scottish accent?

Haha I shoulda included Snatch too haha...I just included it since its based in Scotland and made by a British director...I guess its foreign, at least to me, in that sense. And def. an awesome movie.

And this scene in Oldboy is a visual masterpiece..Really one of the best Korean movies ever made..Did this whole scene in 1 take only and he eats a live squid/octopus in another scene...Talk about acting methods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OzB-mop6AA

Edited by Warriors, 28 December 2010 - 02:18 PM.

#14 Tsunade

Tsunade
  • 676 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:37 PM

My thoughts exactly, but I think the idea was to look at films that were not american =/

But for english cinema...

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch, RocknRolla, Sexy Beast, A Fish Called Wanda, Withnail and I, Ghandi...

And for Foreign films films I'll quickly read off some dvds on my desk...

La Double Vie de Veronique, directed by Krzysztof Kieslowski
also see Kieslowski's Red/White/Blue trilogy

Departures, The Counterfeiters, The Lives of Others, Tsotsi

#15 AliceFi

AliceFi
  • 474 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:52 PM

the monthy python films :D
no one knows this one? amelie poulain
pan's labyrinth is great idd
nobody knows or 'daremo shiranai', japanese movie
bin-jip, korean movie -> really good!
hero, crouching tiger hidden dragon, red cliff,... as chinese movies

#16 AliceFi

AliceFi
  • 474 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:53 PM

shuck double post...

Edited by AliceFi, 28 December 2010 - 02:54 PM.

#17 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:02 PM

shuck double post...

hmm just wondering for the posters do you guys usually use IMDB for ratings? or do you use other sites like rottentomatoes, and metacritic? I know you shouldn't prob soley depend on those sites but what your preference? or do you stick to just watching the trailers?

Edited by dk8932, 28 December 2010 - 03:02 PM.

#18 togepi

togepi
  • 123 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:31 PM

Well, I love anything with Audrey Tautou in it, so of course Amelie, Happenstance, and A Very Long Engagement are all very amazing. She is such a cute and unique actress! I don't know if these count as chick flicks, though. There's also Brice de Nice. Hilarious French comedy. Also on my favorites list would be all of the Studio Ghilbli movies, whether you choose to watch it subbed or dubbed is up to you, and of course Life Is Beautiful. Italian and such a tearjerker. As for more Asian movies, there's also Suicide Club, but caution if you actually haven't seen it yet - it's not suitable for just anyone. And before I keep typing up a huge paragraph, I'll leave you with another really effed up French movie - The Piano Teacher.

#19 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:35 PM

And before I keep typing up a huge paragraph, I'll leave you with another really effed up French movie - The Piano Teacher.

Definitely an extremely strange film, I watched it once and never intend to watch it again. :p If we're mentioning weird foreign films I'll throw Calvaire in there too, probably the weirdest film I've ever seen.

#20 Turtleboy

Turtleboy
  • 424 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:38 PM

Guys go watch the human centipede.
Creepiest and most disgusting movie ever. I don't even know how the producer came up with such a horrible plot.

Also - Battle Royale (Japanese version) is pretty messed up.

-They're both horrors that are pretty disgusting so ... watch at your own discretion.

#21 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:47 PM

These are some good ones that I can name off the top of my head

Ma Vie En Rose
Ichi the Killer
Jeux d'enfants
Irreversible
OldBoy
Osama
Towelhead
La Femme Nikita
XXY

#22 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:28 PM

The Trotsky if you wanna watch a decent Canadian movie. And if you know a bit of commie history

#23 Whyumad

Whyumad
  • 457 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:52 AM

The Ring, you gotta watch the Japanese version.
Also basically anything from Japan that is a horror movie (classics only) and they are legit frightening.

#24 AliceFi

AliceFi
  • 474 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:19 AM

i get reccommendations from friends ^^ some i've seen myself so i know they're good :D<br>i dont usually depend on sites whether films are good or not<br>

Edited by AliceFi, 29 December 2010 - 02:32 AM.

#25 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:30 AM

Great Teacher Onizuka.

Though, it's better if you have dabbled into the Drama series first, so you get to know the character better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users