• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#26 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:08 PM

Great Teacher Onizuka.

Though, it's better if you have dabbled into the Drama series first, so you get to know the character better.

Haven't seen the live action or anime yet...Might have to check it out.

Other foreign films that are good are The Seven Samurai, seriously awesome. Internal Affairs(It's Departed, but Asian-y), and J.S.A. - Joint Security Area.

#27 Lychee

Lychee
  • 633 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:18 PM

I love a lot of the films that have already been mentioned, especially Amelie and Battle Royale - which are a very strange combination! Run Lola Run is fantastic and has a very interesting premise. Basically, this girl has to repeat the same period of time over and over until she gets it right. I also adore Versus, a ridiculous and ludicrously over the top Japanese zombie film. Yesterday I watched Grave of the Fireflies for the first time. Everyone says it's sad, but you don't get just how sad until you actually watch it. Definitely have something happy to cheer yourself up with afterwards if you watch that one.

#28 Gen

Gen
  • Ye old gen

• 1871 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:31 PM

I have lots of foreign movies for you lol. One that is really good is "Tropa de Elite"( "The Elite Squad"), which shows the life of a captain of Rio de Janeiro's Elite Squad while they invade a slum that is controlled by the trafic. This movie is really really really good. "Tropa de Elite 2" is still in the theaters, but it's even greater.(By the way, both stories are based on real facts); If you need any other suggestion for brazilian movies, p.m me, I can give you plenty lol

#29 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:08 PM

Haven't seen the live action or anime yet...Might have to check it out.

Do it man, the actor playing GTO in the Drama plays the part perfectly.

#30 Nearx

Nearx
  • 506 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:14 PM

Here's some good non american movies. Mostly japanese though

Moon Child
Last Quarter

TV shows (really good though)
Hana-Kimi
Gokusen
Parental Guidence (A singapore drama I believe. Its in English but really funny)

I'll list more if I think of em

#31 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:32 PM

hmmm thanks so much for the replies guy. I actually dl'ed battle royale and tried to play it onto the ps3 but the audio doesnt work -_- ill have to wait to burn it. But another solid film is yet another korean film. 71 into the fire, one of the most visually impressive scenes I've scene in a while.

#32 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:00 PM

Do it man, the actor playing GTO in the Drama plays the part perfectly.

Yea, I am going to dl it..The Manga was really good too...Loved Onidzuka...Quick question, the movie or the live action tv series? Different or the same thing?

hmmm thanks so much for the replies guy. I actually dl'ed battle royale and tried to play it onto the ps3 but the audio doesnt work -_- ill have to wait to burn it. But another solid film is yet another korean film. 71 into the fire, one of the most visually impressive scenes I've scene in a while.

Also might want to watch The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, pretty good, and Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter,...Spring..Both really good movies.

#33 WakaWaka

WakaWaka
  • 458 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:05 PM

watch crows zero and crows zero 2.
Japanese movies.

#34 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:06 PM

Guys you should really really watch "The Man From Nowhere". This film is one of the best films I've seen so far. Many people will agree too. If you guys need help finding it I can help (: sorry lol I just want you guys to watch this brilliant movie.

#35 Whyumad

Whyumad
  • 457 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:59 AM

Also are you into Asian films/ series?

#36 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:34 AM

Yea, I am going to dl it..The Manga was really good too...Loved Onidzuka...Quick question, the movie or the live action tv series? Different or the same thing?

Same in a sense, the only character that is in both the Drama and the Movie is Onizuka himself, as they are set in different areas, it's explained why in the movie though.

Watch both anyways, it's worth it.

#37 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:13 AM

Also are you into Asian films/ series?

Is this question directed at me or another person? lol anyways um I'm open to anything.

#38 sircomflix

sircomflix
  • 461 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:39 PM

City of God, Let the Right One In, Oldboy and Internal Affairs immediately come to mind.

#39 Whyumad

Whyumad
  • 457 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:43 PM

Is this question directed at me or another person? lol anyways um I'm open to anything.

Towards you, have you seen most of the Jet Li movies? Cause I have a list of them somewhere in my house I could get you the names.

#40 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:57 PM

Same in a sense, the only character that is in both the Drama and the Movie is Onizuka himself, as they are set in different areas, it's explained why in the movie though.

Watch both anyways, it's worth it.

Got it, time to get both of them...If that elephant scene is in any of the two movies oh man..I would burst out laughing.

#41 Whyumad

Whyumad
  • 457 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:22 PM

Battle Royale is a hilarious gore movie I've seen in HS for socials.
I have no idea why we watched it but you'll have a good time laughing!

#42 Whyumad

Whyumad
  • 457 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:22 PM

*repeat*
Sorry!

Edited by Whyumad, 30 December 2010 - 01:22 PM.

#43 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:58 PM

Towards you, have you seen most of the Jet Li movies? Cause I have a list of them somewhere in my house I could get you the names.

I have only scene a few of his movies. A list wouldn't be bad (: It'll just take me a while to watch since I want to hardcode most of the movies with subtitles instead of wasting dvds.

#44 Whyumad

Whyumad
  • 457 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 07:32 PM

I have only scene a few of his movies. A list wouldn't be bad (: It'll just take me a while to watch since I want to hardcode most of the movies with subtitles instead of wasting dvds.

Okay.. maybe I'll look for the list of the English ones.
I watched 2 or 3 that are pretty epic and only in English, I just gotta ask my friends for the names.
I believe "Eye of the Dragon" is one of them.

#45 Lallard

Lallard
  • 487 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 12:54 PM

I don't know whether I skipped a post, but surprised nobody ever mentioned 'La Vita Bella' (Italian) yet.
Theme's overused (WWII), but it's still a great foreign movie!

#46 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:00 PM

well i got watched that Battle Royale movie it was humorous but it wasn't a movie I would tell others about lol, I'm going to watch Tae Guk Gi, which I've been told is a great great film... and if you havn't watched the man from nowhere what are you waiting for!!!

#47 Inver

Inver
  • 298 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:13 PM

Danish Films: Flickering Lights, The Green Slaughter, Adam's Apples. Might be slightly misspelled due to the translation. If you can't find those titles, try Blinkende Lygter, De Grønne Slagtere, Adams Æbler.

#48 neobrah

neobrah
  • 534 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:14 PM

if yuou're into dramas try mysoju but i only watch the comedy ones instead of the lovey dovey stuff,

jakes i watch the lovey dovey ones as well and bawl my eyes out.,

#49 Perdita

Perdita
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:36 AM

Danish Films: Flickering Lights, The Green Slaughter, Adam's Apples. Might be slightly misspelled due to the translation. If you can't find those titles, try Blinkende Lygter, De Grønne Slagtere, Adams Æbler.

Oh, I've heard of Adam's Apples, a German movie site comparable to last.fm says I could like it. I'll check it out.

»Das Experiment« is a great German movie by the same director who made Downfall (also a great movie). It's based on the Stanford Prison Experiment. There's also an American remake, but I haven't watched it yet.
»The discreete Charm of the Bourgeoisie« also seems to be a very good movie, unfortunately I've only watched half of it but it's still on my list. It's about a group of people who try to dine together but fail for various reasons. Strange but interesting film from Spain/France.

Also, I second »The lives of others«, a German film about the GDR, especially the Stasi.

#50 Inver

Inver
  • 298 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:37 AM

Oh, I've heard of Adam's Apples, a German movie site comparable to last.fm says I could like it. I'll check it out.

»Das Experiment« is a great German movie by the same director who made Downfall (also a great movie). It's based on the Stanford Prison Experiment. There's also an American remake, but I haven't watched it yet.
»The discreete Charm of the Bourgeoisie« also seems to be a very good movie, unfortunately I've only watched half of it but it's still on my list. It's about a group of people who try to dine together but fail for various reasons. Strange but interesting film from Spain/France.

Also, I second »The lives of others«, a German film about the GDR, especially the Stasi.

It's very very good. Actually Sweeney might enjoy it, since the premise is just a skin-head mentally screwing with a priest until he forsakes god.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users