Photo

Foreign Movies anyone?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#51 sircomflix

sircomflix
  • 461 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:06 AM

I'm surprised no one has brought up the Millennium trilogy (Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, Girl Who Played With Fire, Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest). They're pretty good but they're getting so much buzz. Already an American adaptation coming (which I don't mind considering it's David Fincher directing).

#52 Inver

Inver
  • 298 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:02 PM

I'm surprised no one has brought up the Millennium trilogy (Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, Girl Who Played With Fire, Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest). They're pretty good but they're getting so much buzz. Already an American adaptation coming (which I don't mind considering it's David Fincher directing).

I have the first book. I don't think I'll respect myself if I don't read the series first.

#53 neobrah

neobrah
  • 534 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:01 PM

I have the first book. I don't think I'll respect myself if I don't read the series first.

I dunno, it's weird when I watch movies adaptations of books that i've read.

I always feel dissapointed when the movie doesn't correspond to how I imagined it to be. I loved the book The Girls with the Dragoon Tattoo though.

#54 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:02 PM

Just saw GTO..the movie not the drama...cant find it really...But its good..Of course the Anime/Manga is better but the movie did well..A bit confusing for new people getting into GTO.

#55 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:39 AM

Just saw GTO..the movie not the drama...cant find it really...But its good..Of course the Anime/Manga is better but the movie did well..A bit confusing for new people getting into GTO.

Watch the drama then, it's not all that hard to find on a torrent site if you look hard enough, and if not, Veoh has it up if you feel like installing their program to watch it.

Though, the movie isn't confusing at all other than it doesn't all really "introduce" Onizuka, but the series was already far enough along that anyone who cared knew who he was, and even at that, it's not hard to understand what kind of character he is as you watch the film.

#56 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:13 PM

Watch the drama then, it's not all that hard to find on a torrent site if you look hard enough, and if not, Veoh has it up if you feel like installing their program to watch it.

Though, the movie isn't confusing at all other than it doesn't all really "introduce" Onizuka, but the series was already far enough along that anyone who cared knew who he was, and even at that, it's not hard to understand what kind of character he is as you watch the film.

Yea, just found a place to watch it..Starting it now..Well to me at least, the movie was a bit different than the comics...didn't really feel the Great Onizuka but it was good.

#57 Dreww

Dreww
  • 552 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:42 PM

I'm really fond of just about everything Gerard Depardieu does. He's a pretty experienced french actor with a TON of movies to choose from in a lot of genres. His movies got me more into French cinematography to the point where I can understand the language by ear.

#58 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:39 AM

Tae Guk Gi
Put a teat in my eye (: and dont forget to watch the first movie posted!!!

IMDB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCnyJZafn-w

#59 Kido

Kido
  • 1046 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:07 PM

wow. We were just watching A Man From Nowhere during computer class about a week ago o.0

But really, if "foreign" just means "not from America" then that's like all my movies. I watch a lot of Chinese movies (which I don't know how to type in english) and of course I watch a LOT of anime movies. Pan's labyrinth was cool

Someone mentioned Monty Python. My fav was Life of Brian but I love everything by those 6 (including A Fish Called Wanda because that was made by John Cleese)

#60 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:16 PM

Elin

The TV drama was way better..but to be expected since it had so many more hours to delve into the story..Didn't watch the special though..doubt I will.

#61 StarmanSuper

StarmanSuper
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:30 PM

I really liked "Pan's Labyrinth" from a few years ago. It was a GREAT subtitled film. :)

#62 RWS

RWS
  • 596 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:21 PM

I really like anything that Almodovar directs, particularly Bad Education and Talk To Her. Has anyone seen any of those?

#63 Burd

Burd
  • 274 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:03 AM

I really liked "Pan's Labyrinth" from a few years ago. It was a GREAT subtitled film. :)

YES. Completely agree.

And perhaps the slapstick Chinese movies released as parodies. They make me lol.

#64 moonman

moonman
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:03 AM

I like Jackie Chan's Police Story movies, Jet Li's Once Upon a Time in China series (only the first three, after that it gets lame) and Stephen Chow movies which are mostly HK comedy.

Though they contain funny jokes that only really make sense in cantonese xD

#65 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:20 AM

Though they contain funny jokes that only really make sense in cantonese xD

Yeah, but Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle have hilarious dubs, which are equally as good.

#66 sdjaks

sdjaks
  • 140 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:43 PM

Favorite foreign films are mostly horror, I like: Let the Right One In, Night Watch/Day Watch, Oldboy. Japan has produced some pretty crazy horror movies too, like Suicide Club (fairly graphic) and Battle Royale series (even more graphic.)

#67 AyoForYayo

AyoForYayo
  • 503 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:00 PM

Watch waltz with bashier
it's crazy, i saw it in school.
It's a documentary but it's in animation.

Subtitles, but its awesome.

#68 ColonelHayden

ColonelHayden
  • 222 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:04 AM

Jeux d'enfants - Love Me If You Dare

Amazing movie. French flick. I admit, it's one of those sappy ones so cuddle up with someone to watch. Much better than being caught watching it alone!

#69 Seven

Seven
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:31 AM

Thumbs up for Amélie and Persepolis, two great films in French. Pan's Labyrinth also gets my vote for me sobbing by the end of it. The Lives of Others my friend recommends, not too into German films but I'd like to see the Counterfeiters. Also YES to Monty Python, some dying gems of British comedy out there.

#70 italkaboutoddthings

italkaboutoddthings
  • 139 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:02 AM

If your into war movies, Red Cliff was an inspiring remake of the romance of the three kingdoms.Well a segment of it at the very least. The tactics they used for war were astonishing mix and stir some romance and betrayals and what do you get --->perfect :)
If you have time perhaps revisiting or visiting American Psychopath via Christian Bail, i found the dark humor to be rather delightful.

#71 unforgotten

unforgotten
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:28 AM

Pan's Labyrinth is amazing.

Definitely one of my favorite movies (:

#72 CuriousOyster

CuriousOyster
  • 371 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 01:19 PM

Damn this thread is old, but I have a movie to contribute.
It's a french film that was recently dubbed over in English called "Girl with the dragon tattoo"
It's sort of an investigating movie, but it has a lot of action and rape.
Literally rape, the main actor seems to take off her clothes a lot if you're into that kind of thing..

#73 rhexis07

rhexis07
  • 205 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:30 AM

I'm from Singapore, so I actually have a few foreign movies to recommend to you guys. I'm not sure

Since you like action, there are a few good movies by Donnie Yen.

"Flash Point"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0992911/

"Kill Zone"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478024/

"Body Guards and Assassins"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1403130/

If you want more movies along this line, I'd be more than happy to share. Jackie Chan has a few good Chinese Movies as well. I don't really know what movies they show in your country, but these should be foreign to you. :)

#74 bluehawaii19

bluehawaii19
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:13 PM

Foreign films can be really good. One I enjoyed when I watched it for college was Maria Full of Grace.

Pan's Labyrinth and The Orphanage are also really enjoyable.

I recently bought Life Is Beautiful as I remember watching it when I was younger but only saw bits and pieces of it on TV.

#75 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:12 AM

ip man 1, 2, 3 are all pretty good imo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users