Photo

Pull-up bars

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Reality

Reality
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:54 AM

I've been looking for a pull-up bar for a while, but one of the things that has really concerned me is damage to my wooden door frame. There are bars out there which don't require screws and just jam into the sides with a tightening mechanism but I'm not sure if these cause damage still. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a pull-up bar as there's no way I can do a home fitness program without one and I don't really want to spend a huge amount on gym membership in my current financial state. Google revealed some promising bars with padding on the sides, but I was wondering if anyone had some first hand experience.

#2 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:26 AM

My grandpa does pullups on the bars of his clothesline in the backyard.
Is there an elementary school playground with monkeybars nearby? That's where my brother often goes to do pull-ups. It's free.
The only trouble is he gets approached by police officers every time he's there.

I just don't believe in spending money on exercise equipment.

#3 onlyme

onlyme
  • I hate everyone.

• 4319 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:48 AM

The only trouble is he gets approached by police officers every time he's there.

why Oo ?

#4 Reality

Reality
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:35 AM

My grandpa does pullups on the bars of his clothesline in the backyard.
Is there an elementary school playground with monkeybars nearby? That's where my brother often goes to do pull-ups. It's free.

I just don't believe in spending money on exercise equipment.

Yeah I'm not gonna lie, I feel really self conscious doing pull-ups at the local playground so ideally I'd like to get a bar in my home. But if pull-up bars really do that much damage, I may as well just do it at the play ground and suck it up.

Grandpa doing pull-ups? He could probably beat the crap out of me lol.

Edited by Reality, 08 January 2011 - 08:41 AM.

#5 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:45 AM

I've had a pull-up bar in my door frame for years. Doesn't do damage. A nice one with pads for your hands is only about $30. The adjust to the size of the door so you don't have to worry about measuring anything.

#6 Reality

Reality
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:47 AM

I've had a pull-up bar in my door frame for years. Doesn't do damage. A nice one with pads for your hands is only about $30. The adjust to the size of the door so you don't have to worry about measuring anything.

So is this one without screws? Does it lengthen on the sides so it jams in and is there padding on the sides?

#7 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:49 AM

So is this one without screws? Does it lengthen on the sides so it jams in and is there padding on the sides?

No, it had screws. I don't consider that damage :p
The padding moves along the bar so you can adjust it to your grip.

#8 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:16 AM

Walmart tends to sell those "perfect pullup" things which go into your door frame and won't require screws. I thought they were a bit shaky but I've seen a 250+ pound guy use one and it only bent under his weight a little. :p

#9 neobrah

neobrah
  • 534 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:32 AM

I would highly recommend a pull up bar.

I have a basic one I bought at a sports store for about $25 - which doesn't require you to screw it into your door frame. Just make sure that the ends are padded so it won't leave a mark.

It's awesome to have if you just want to improve your strength and get in a few reps whenever you want :) If you;re into P90X the pull up bar is awesome too.

One downside is that you should always take it down or you can't close the door fully. I get lazy though and just leave it up haha.

Walmart tends to sell those "perfect pullup" things which go into your door frame and won't require screws. I thought they were a bit shaky but I've seen a 250+ pound guy use one and it only bent under his weight a little. :p

yeah, it doesn't use screw's b/c it leverages the wieght across the door frame :) ingenious design

#10 Reality

Reality
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:41 PM

I would highly recommend a pull up bar.

I have a basic one I bought at a sports store for about $25 - which doesn't require you to screw it into your door frame. Just make sure that the ends are padded so it won't leave a mark.

It's awesome to have if you just want to improve your strength and get in a few reps whenever you want :) If you;re into P90X the pull up bar is awesome too.

One downside is that you should always take it down or you can't close the door fully. I get lazy though and just leave it up haha.

yeah, it doesn't use screw's b/c it leverages the wieght across the door frame :) ingenious design

Yeah I was thinking about the P90X but tbh it's a little too hardcore for me. :p Plus I don't like the whole pseudoscience of "muscle confusion". Just trying to improve general fitness I guess.

#11 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:44 PM

Don't use the ones that expand in your door frame to stay put. I used one and warped the door frame and then black plastic at the end kind of rubbed off and stained the door frame too. Downside to cheap equipment from ebay

#12 Reality

Reality
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:54 PM

Don't use the ones that expand in your door frame to stay put. I used one and warped the door frame and then black plastic at the end kind of rubbed off and stained the door frame too. Downside to cheap equipment from ebay

Oh okay, I was thinking about buying one of those. What's your advice for an alternative?

#13 Token

Token
  • 576 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:12 PM

I have a pull up bar. The perfect pull up, it was about $60. It works perfectly fine, but the only thing is the sponge material will kind of rub off on your door frame, and it might dent the door frames a bit. So if you have paint and/or can easily replace a door frame when you move or you need to. It's not as bad as I'm making it sound, if I had a camera that worked I'd show you my door frame I've been using mine on every other day for about a year and a half.

#14 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:52 PM

Oh okay, I was thinking about buying one of those. What's your advice for an alternative?

Don't buy this

Posted Image

Buy this

Posted Image

Style-wise. Not brand name wise

#15 neobrah

neobrah
  • 534 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:59 PM

Yeah I was thinking about the P90X but tbh it's a little too hardcore for me. :p Plus I don't like the whole pseudoscience of "muscle confusion". Just trying to improve general fitness I guess.

P90x can be done at your own pace. I remember watching it for the first time, and it was just insane.. but I just kept my own personal best and can now do pullups like no other =p

Muscle confusion in P90x is questionable.. I mean if anyone were to mass exercises like 100 pushups + pullups of course you're going to see significant gains.. but if you have a bar, def give it a try! nothing to lose

Don't buy this

Posted Image

Buy this

Posted Image

Style-wise. Not brand name wise

I have the latter of the two and it's what i mean by cushioned handles that dont destroy your door frame.. I have a friend who has the extendible bar one and nearly killed himself b/c it isnt that stable

#16 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:00 PM

Buy resistance bands
Put them over door
Do pullups like that

P90X isn't hardcore for anyone. It's great for beginners or advanced fitness levels. Muscle confusion isn't a psuedoscience, it's common sense.

If you need a bar, use the one Hobo posted.

/thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users