• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:29 PM

I've only met 2 people from online. The first was a friend of mine in 2009. He lived in Michigan but joined the Marines. Since I live near Camp Pendelton we decided to meet up. We ended up hanging out, having a relationship, the relationship epic failed, now we don't talk anymore. The second time was a friend of mine from Texas. He goes to TCU and came to California for the Rose Bowl. We ended up cruising around Hollywood and getting lost at 12 am.

So yeah. Have you met anyone from online? How did it go? Would you ever be willing to? Do you plan to meet anyone from online?

#2 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:35 PM

I meet up with noit whenever he's in town and have had dinner with him on multiple occasions. Awesome guy :p.

#3 neobrah

neobrah
  • 534 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:49 PM

i"ve never met anyone in real life that i've met online =p It is pretty common for clan mates (from games) to get together and play in tourney's though.

Dating people from online... do you guy's feel like there's a social stigma around that?

#4 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:56 PM

There's definitely a social stigma attached. But I think it's just different levels of social stigma. For example a couple would get less snarky comments if they live in the same city and meet each other online, but a couple where one person is in New York and the other is in Amsterdam (yes, I've seen this happen) would probably get more side-eyes. Not to mention people who are in a relationship for years and never meet.

I personally don't see anything wrong with online dating as long as people are safe about it. I don't think teenagers should online date because they don't usually have the maturity to handle long distance relationships in general, but hey, to each their own.

#5 Faintingcow

Faintingcow
  • Uncle Fancypants

• 199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:56 PM

I've met up with several people online, but I would say you need to be careful and make sure you know who your talking too xD
Dont want it to be some crazy killer!

#6 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:57 PM

ROFL Soul!! It was a professional data. :D Was smexy :D Dro is more awesomer!

I love dro! :D

Man so funny we forgot the receipt and couldn't get his company to pay for the dinner. :'(

#7 Connery

Connery
  • 535 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:57 PM

There was a buddy of mine from Scotland that I met online who was in Toronto with his family for a week, so we hungout. It all seemed very natural; I mean, of course I had talked with him and whatnot for a good while, but physically meeting someone new like that can certainly be entirely different... But ya, it was a good time. I know there's all the paranoia surrounding meeting people online, but as long as you're responsible and mature about it, I think it's great.

Edited by Connery, 09 January 2011 - 12:09 AM.

#8 Seren

Seren
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:04 AM

Yes, lots of people. Some through IRC way long ago, some through StumbleUpon, a couple through WoW. I'm much more comfortable hanging out with people in person that I've known online for quite a while first.

#9 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:29 AM

Never met anyone I met online. Don't really plan to.

#10 Shadowfool

Shadowfool
  • 419 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:38 AM

I once met a person on a online game I made friends with.
it was creep.y

#11 Dreww

Dreww
  • 552 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:53 AM

Several on a few different occasions. XKCD SF meetup, met up with a fellow mod from an old neo-forum, Reddit SF meetup,and a few others.

#12 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:59 AM

Yes many times over the years.

#13 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:46 AM

craigslist? the place the meet the finest citizens of america

#14 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:38 AM

Nope, I think I'm one of the only older British members on here NOT to though. :p Various Codex people have (had) my phone number over the years although I think Michie is the only person who has my current one and a couple of people have had my address.

Never really had any prolonged contact with any online types apart from Codex.

#15 ArticTheTiger

ArticTheTiger
  • 1318 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:52 AM

My girlfriend. I live with her :)

#16 togepi

togepi
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:07 AM

I've met way too many people via internet for my age. I even had a girlfriend for over 2 years. Now I have a boyfriend and any traveling to meet anyone is pretty much out of the question.

#17 Lychee

Lychee
  • 633 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:07 AM

I've met up with a few people. The first couple of times it was people I'd known for ages and ages online and took a lot of planning - we were from various parts of the country and our parents were all insistent on being there (we were still pretty young). The weirdest part was seeing the parents interact.

"So. Your daughter spends too much time online too, huh?"

#18 Kido

Kido
  • 1046 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:12 AM

lol XD

I've never met anyone online that I didn't already know in real life.....and I'm not interested in relationships just yet so it's all good

#19 MiladyM

MiladyM
  • 428 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:47 AM

I met many people I knew from online. 6 years ago I went to a clan meeting from my clan in Ragnarok Online. Was around 25 people I think. It was a lot of fun and I still see most of them. Met my current boyfriend there aswell.
This summer I'm gonna meet 2 more people that I've known from online since 3 years back, again from a clan in an online game :p I like meeting new people, and I don't really care if it's people I've only known online so far. I just make sure to be careful and preferably not go alone the first time :p

#20 AyoForYayo

AyoForYayo
  • 503 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:18 AM

I used to play WoW and one of my friends from it who lived in California came to New York to visit some friends and stay for a week or so.
We decided to meet up and chill in the city or what not since thats where he was and I live like 30 minutes from.
It was cool, kind of odd, but not awkward really.

#21 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:18 AM

Nope, I think I'm one of the only older British members on here NOT to though.

Because you're rubbish and never make an effort :p

#22 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:27 AM

I think I've met three people in person, all guys. One lived a couple towns over, so it wasn't really a big deal. He seemed interested in me, but he just wasn't my type. The other guy lived about 40 minutes away, and the only way for us to meet up was for him to come over my house, so he did a couple of times...and I slept with him a couple of times. I'm not a slut...it just happened. I actually really liked him, but things didn't work out because he was going into the navy, and probably wasn't even trying to pursue a relationship with me. My boyfriend and I got back together soon after, but I kept in touch with the guy online for a while after, which my boyfriend obviously didn't like very much. The third guy was really just a friend. He lived in NYC, so I went in with my mom, had lunch with her and my aunt, parted ways, and met up with this kid and just walked around the city. I thnk I met all three of them on Myspace. :/

Other than that, I haven't met any online friends in person, but I have talked to countless people on the phone, exchanged letters, etc.

Edited by Trichomes, 09 January 2011 - 07:35 AM.

#23 JaneTheDog

JaneTheDog
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:44 AM

I'm a bit ashamed of it, but I know my boyfriend from the internet.
Took us a year to meet though, and then when we really started to like each other we decided to meet :3
We went to an amusement park with some friends :)

#24 mizu100

mizu100
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:01 AM

Nope would have loved to meet someone but she lived in another state.

#25 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:00 AM

I never have, but I have a story if anyone doesn't mind:

My female friend had a male friend named Gary. They were just friends and he came to Canada to visit her. While here, he "fell in love" with her best friend and they had a relationship. He was only here for about 5 days, so he went home and they continued their relationship through the internet, all 3 of them being friends. A few months later, he insisted that my friend's best friend (I'll call her Caity) stop talking to my friend otherwise they would break up. And if they broke up, he threatened suicide. To convince her he was serious, he started hitting his head against the wall until he bled. So Caity and my friend would only meet secretly or text, nothing open like facebook. Then Gary came here and same ol' suicide threats etc etc etc he and Caity are living together. He refuses to get a job so now Caity works two jobs to support them and isn't allowed to go out after work to see friends (which she's not allowed to talk to anyway).

If it were me, I'd just let him die. Who needs that. If I had a picture it'd be easier to show... he's really obese and has a lot of acne.

inb4 tl;dr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users