Photo

Baking things! :D

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 JaneTheDog

JaneTheDog
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:04 AM

I have been baking things regularly for about a year now.
I followed a workshop cake decorating this morning :D

I first filled my cake with strawberry mousse and, I think it's what you guys call pudding.
Then we decorated the cakes with marzipan.

This is how it turned out :D
Posted Image

Sorry for the huge crappy image, I had to take one with my cellphone.

What do you guys think?
And did you ever bake or decorate something yourself? :D

#2 Wil

Wil
  • 200 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:12 AM

So pretty :3 I don't bake cakes but I make some mean biscuits with apricot glazed chicken.

#3 Shadowfool

Shadowfool
  • 419 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:11 AM

Holy shit that looks amazing. you should start selling them!

#4 Lychee

Lychee
  • 633 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:35 AM

That is a beautiful cake. How did it taste?

I bake occasionally. I can make fucking amazing brownies.

#5 unigirl

unigirl
  • 513 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:53 AM

I like baking too but didnt do it that often =/
But your cake looks fucking amazing. You shouldnt eat it xD

#6 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:00 PM

Marzipan? Oh good. I was about to frown upon it if it were fondant. I don't know why I hate fondant. Feels like the cake decorator is cheating if they use fondant. Also, it tastes like crap.
That is a very pretty cake. When yall eat it, take a picture because I wanna know what the pudding looks like on the inside.  

I used to bake all the time. Used to be the cupcake girl at work. But now I stick to cookies whenever I get the chance to do so. 

#7 Acheron

Acheron
  • 586 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:08 PM

Marzipan? Oh good. I was about to frown upon it if it were fondant. I don't know why I hate fondant. Feels like the cake decorator is cheating if they use fondant. Also, it tastes like crap.
That is a very pretty cake. When yall eat it, take a picture because I wanna know what the pudding looks like on the inside.

I used to bake all the time. Used to be the cupcake girl at work. But now I stick to cookies whenever I get the chance to do so.

This. Fondant looks so pretty but taste like bull. The texture doesn't work for me also.

I don't really bake much but my mum used to do a pretty nice passionfruit cheesecake.

On a related note, what is one cup of butter/sugar/liquid converted to the metric system? Also, how much is a teaspoon/tablespoon? American cooking instructions are so confusing. =/

#8 Lallard

Lallard
  • 487 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:32 PM

This. Fondant looks so pretty but taste like bull. The texture doesn't work for me also.

I don't really bake much but my mum used to do a pretty nice passionfruit cheesecake.

On a related note, what is one cup of butter/sugar/liquid converted to the metric system? Also, how much is a teaspoon/tablespoon? American cooking instructions are so confusing. =/

I could NEVER get baking a simple bread loaf right, of all things. I can bake simple cookies, muffins, cupcakes and even cake. I simply have NO idea how to work with anything that involves yeast and kneading :(

One of my friends made chocolate fondant and it turned out tasting like soft fudge. I guess the commercial-made ones taste bad then?

I do have the same issue with the english-metric measurements, so I bookmark'd this website solely for that purpose:

http://www.jsward.co...onversion.shtml

#9 Vivendio

Vivendio
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:46 PM

Your cake looks very appetizing with its floral design.

I want to eat it...

#10 BERRIES

BERRIES
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:10 AM

Omg! It looks amazing! I want to bake, learn cooking, but I'm banned from the kitchen. Mum thinks I would cause an explosion or something. -____-

#11 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:54 AM

Umm, last thing I baked wasss - not baking at all. I steamed rice and shrimp with vegetables.

The last thing I baked was brownies, because I loves me some chocolate. I'm not a big cake person. Gâteau est trop riche à mon goût. Your design work is impeccable though. Very nicely executed.

#12 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:19 AM

Looks really nice, baking like that is a lot harder than everyone thinks.

Someone I know is going to have his own cake show on TV this year. They're filming it now :p

#13 Tigerzz

Tigerzz
  • 160 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:34 AM

I like to make cakes, i started helping my nana and grandad bake cakes and pies as a kid and i've loved it ever since.
Just made some cookies and brownies from scratch last night xD Left the brownies in too long though, cause we was eating the cookies. Even though the edge was all burnt and hard it still tasted like heaven (: It's such a good relaxing and fun thing to do though, i really like your design xD

#14 Lallard

Lallard
  • 487 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:50 PM

Looks really nice, baking like that is a lot harder than everyone thinks.

Someone I know is going to have his own cake show on TV this year. They're filming it now :p

There have been alot of them circulating around these days that it's gotten old :(. I used to watch Ace of Cakes on the Food Network alot, dunno why I stopped doing so.

#15 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:27 PM

There have been alot of them circulating around these days that it's gotten old :(. I used to watch Ace of Cakes on the Food Network alot, dunno why I stopped doing so.

This one isn't just about cakes though. It follows them to clubs and whatnot.

#16 CuriousOyster

CuriousOyster
  • 371 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:49 PM

Please tell me you framed this in your oven :thumbsup:

#17 onlyme

onlyme
  • I hate everyone.

• 4319 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:00 AM

aaaaaaaaw what a pretty cake!

i hate baking and i never really done it but i googled cake pictures and fell in love with those:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#18 AyoForYayo

AyoForYayo
  • 503 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:11 AM

Thats awesome :D

I rarely ever bake. Mostly because I'm a vegan & that means all the baking I have to do is from scratch and I can't just use a really easy betty crocker gangsta mix.

Although, the vegan chocolate cupcakes I make are amazing :3

#19 JaneTheDog

JaneTheDog
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:13 PM

@ The fondant haters, I KNOW RIGHT?! I hate fondant too. It tastes sooo bad.

And the rainbow cakes look so nice!
I tried to make rainbow cupcakes once, but I couldn't find a good recipe for white cake, so I used regular brown cake, and unfortunately my colors were a bit dark :(

I'll be making a cake to take to my bf this weekend (I hope it will survive the 2,5 hour train ride), but I have no idea what kind of theme to give it.
Any ideas?

#20 Lychee

Lychee
  • 633 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:52 PM

I'll be making a cake to take to my bf this weekend (I hope it will survive the 2,5 hour train ride), but I have no idea what kind of theme to give it.
Any ideas?

What does he like? If he's into gaming and you're up for a challenge, maybe try making a Portal companion cube cake. It looks like you have the skills to pull off an awesome one and who doesn't like Portal?* Or go all out and make a twisty multi-tiered cake. I think they look amazing, but I don't know how hard they are to decorate.

*Lamewads, that's who.

#21 Tigerzz

Tigerzz
  • 160 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:58 PM

aaaaaaaaw what a pretty cake!

i hate baking and i never really done it but i googled cake pictures and fell in love with those:

Posted Image Posted Image

I love the look of these ones! O_o
Really need to find out how to make one of those, would be a perfect dope cake :3

#22 Kido

Kido
  • 1046 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:16 PM

I would love a cake like any of those pictured lol.

But for me. It's cookie dough, slap onto backing, sheet stuff in oven and I'm done. I don't even put them into nice clumps. It just forms into one giant rectangular cookie

#23 sircomflix

sircomflix
  • 461 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:52 AM

Hahah those rainbow cakes are trippy. But damn, that cake in the OP looks amazing and delicious. My sister would bake cakes occasionally and they'd never come out like that =(

#24 Narna

Narna
  • 361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:53 AM

Wow, that cake is amazing! You should totally look into selling them or something :o

#25 JaneTheDog

JaneTheDog
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:10 AM

What does he like? If he's into gaming and you're up for a challenge, maybe try making a Portal companion cube cake. It looks like you have the skills to pull off an awesome one and who doesn't like Portal?* Or go all out and make a twisty multi-tiered cake. I think they look amazing, but I don't know how hard they are to decorate.

*Lamewads, that's who.

Oh wow. The second one is amazing, but I've never done more than two layers and besides that it would be impossible to take with me.
I just bought a 'cake carrier' which can carry a one layer cake and keep it fresh :)

I decided to make two kissing fish and some seaweed etc. Because he just got a new aquarium ^^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users