Quantcast

If you don't speak English, stay the hell out of America, seriously!

• Please log in to reply
361 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jcrgirl_*

Guest_jcrgirl_*

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:58 PM

I work at a clothing store in a neighborhood that used to be strictly Italian. Over the years, the neighborhood has basically gone down the shitter. (Well, it's not a bad neighborhood, just a very very Chinese/Mexican one). The old mom and pop shops were bought out by Chinese bakeries, grocery stores, nail salons, hair salons, etc. The neighborhood is now strictly Chinese, Russian, and Mexican. (Most of the Italians who used to frequent the shops moved to another part of the city/ moved out of the state completely).

I think it should seriously be illegal to not know English in America. This neighborhood is so fucking annoying... You can't understand a word these people say. All of the signs are in Chinese, everyone who works at the stores ONLY speaks Chinese and shitty ass broken English where if you ask to buy a tea with lemon, they give you a Pork bun and coffee instead and send you on your merry way going ???? just happened.

The Hispanics and Russians aren't as big of a problem. /Most/ of them know SOME English. Far from fluent, but it's a hell of a lot easier to converse with them. They try to adapt into society and if they own shops, they are usually bilingual to maximize the amount of potential customers they attract.

The community is so tight-knit that these people don't really feel compelled to learn English, since everything around them is in Chinese anyway. This is what gets me. WHY is this even allowed? How is being spoon-fed helping them contribute to society? I know a lot of them work under-the-table, they don't speak our language for shit, and I see them gambling all of their money away in Off-Track Betting/ Smoking cigarettes in little bakeries like wtf? Most of them are on welfare, too because they don't put their correct amount of income on their taxes since it's off the books most of the time. These peoplDe are here LEGALLY! They all have green cards. Who the fudge let them in?

Do you guys think that learning fundamental English for Immigrants / fluent English for their children is a mandatory requirement for green card eligibility to the United States?
Why/Why Not

I think Canada has something like this.... You have to speak English or something to be allowed in? Something like that. (But Canada is usually better at everything, so :p)

#2 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:59 PM

This is very ignorant of you. I

#3 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:00 PM

Mwahaha, my people are taking over. It's working ^_^

#4 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:01 PM

am so upset I can't finish a complete thought.

#5 Guest_jcrgirl_*

Guest_jcrgirl_*

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:03 PM

It may SOUND ignorant but I'm not a politician and I'm not afraid of what people think of this post O_o
Its fucking TRUE and even if there are a few cases of this not being the norm, the MAJORITY is just as I described in the first post. You have to see it to believe it :o

#6 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:05 PM

I typed like... 4 responses and I actually can't word it. It's just.... iunno... hard to write...

Again, typed 2 paragraphs. Couldn't word it.. Man

#7 Guest_jcrgirl_*

Guest_jcrgirl_*

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:06 PM

Hate to break it to ya, but America has no official language that is recognized at the federal level...

So, you're kind of raging for no reason. =/

Well it's retarded that they don't. :(
English is universal. People should know it so that I don't have to play charades when Im trying to sell them clothing at my store.

#8 Homer

Homer
  • 151 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:09 PM

Well the only thing that bothers me is waiting for the operator to tell me which number I have to press for English. Could you imagine if we have more than 9 official languages in the United States?
There's only like 10 buttons I can press on my phone! The insanity!

#9 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:11 PM

English is universal. People should know it so that I don't have to play charades when Im trying to sell them clothing at my store.

English is universal NOW, but it doesn't mean that everyone knows it/should know it. In fact, it's only universal in business. A lot of people can't even afford education in their own language, let alone learn a second.

I also work in the service industry, and yes it's annoying when they don't know English very well (and I admit most of them are Asian) but.. I CAN'T WORD MY DAMN POINT

Posted Image

I'm not saying your point doesn't have merit, but it's almost elitist of you to say that they shouldn't be in the country just because they don't speak YOUR language

#10 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:14 PM

I can see your issue with the lack of english skills they may have, but most it is very difficult for a immigrant to learn the language even with the proper tutoring and so forth. I'm a first generation Korean, and I can tell you just how difficult it was for my mother to learn a 2nd language after speaking her first language for almost 30 years or so. Just because you can't speak fundamentally sound English doesn't mean you can't contribute to society. Maybe its just in your area? I'm pretty much surrounded by Koreans,Japs,Viets etc etc and our community is doing fine (: AGain English isn't Americas official language like someone said

#11 Guest_jcrgirl_*

Guest_jcrgirl_*

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:14 PM

English isn't universal, though... It's just spoken in a whole lot of countries... Actually, I recommend that YOU learn Mandarin Chinese... as China is the new world superpower, business will begin to center around them. Their culture will begin to be imported elsewhere... So perhaps you should get a head start now... because in 50 years, if you don't speak Mandarin, there may not be any place for you in mainstream society but these back alley joints. ;)

Countries with thriving economies use English as their language to communicate with each other.
I highly doubt that Chinese will ever become the mainstream language in the states lol

#12 neobrah

neobrah
  • 534 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:16 PM

well, when immigrants come to another country, whether they like it or not they'll eventually have to learn english (or their children). i don't share the same views as you. i think more cultures bring different political, economic and ethical views to our communities. theres more variety of arts, skill sets in the workplace, ideals, etc. i don't think canada has a rule like that.

although i do see what you mean in a way...some immigrants choose not to contribute to our society (although the majority does) and takes advantage of our political and economic structure (in canada, free health care).

#13 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:16 PM

I know how that feels with people who can either speak very little or none at all... ALot of patience is needed and sometime you really have to baby....random thought I remember my mom bought a cheesesteak from Genos once and asked in a you asian accent and the owner their gave the dirtiest look to her ever...had me worked up for my graduation lol

#14 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:22 PM

OH MY GOD I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU MEAN.

I work at a shitty clothing store too which is always packed. I live in British Columbia and EVERYTHING is in chinese or something to that effect, not english. There are entire areas where you won't find an english sign if your life depended on it.

At my work, my bosses ALWAYS put me on front/greets. It's absolutely appalling how many people come to me speaking some other language and actually get upset at ME when i don't understand. The official languages of Canada are french and english (if i'm not mistaken .. which i very well might be) and i fluently speak both. So, it infuriates me when i'm at my work and people expect me to understand what they're saying and get pissed when i don't.
I don't know much about the requirements as far as speaking english goes for the immigrants here in Canada, but i have many asian friends and they all tell me their parents don't speak a lick of english ..

edit: okay maybe not everything is in chinese but a whole lot is. lol. Sorry i rage when i think about how much i hate my job. :(

#15 Guest_jcrgirl_*

Guest_jcrgirl_*

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:22 PM

Countries with thriving economies use English because England and then the United States were the world superpowers with the largest economy and the largest need for importation globally. If you have the money to buy something, the people who speak your language will do the best at selling it to you. With prolonged trade exposure, the native country will begin to have a higher and higher population that is fluent in English as those who speak English can be the most successful businessmen. China is the new super power. You will begin to see the importation of Chinese culture and people in America will begin learning Mandarin in order to keep up with the demand to stay close to China economically.

So although Mandarin may not be the mainstream language in America for a very, very long time, you will still be at a disadvantage if you do not speak their language in the future.

Now let's translate this concept to this situation. Although these people may have immigrated here, there is no official language. They can try to learn English in order to be more successful, but it isn't a requirement for citizenship. So if you want to live in a world in which the country with the most money dictates what the language will be spoken, I'd highly suggest you pick up Mandarin now and get ahead of the curve. ;)

I'm not going into a field that would ever require knowledge of Mandarin xP
I'm already fluent in Russian and English, and taking on Spanish as my 3rd language. I think I'm good to go.
Plus, have you actually tried speaking Chinese? It's hard as hell because they make a lot of sounds with their throat instead of their tongue. They have a lot of similar-sounding words, each with different pitches to make a different word. Confusing as hell homie. Good luck teaching a bunch of dumb middle class American (especially the ones in Texas ;) ) a language like chinese LOL

#16 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:26 PM

I wouldn't expect someone to become fluent in English just because they live here. If we forced everyone to assimilate we wouldn't exactly be a melting pot. I couldn't imagine easily picking up Chinese even if I lived in China, so I can imagine learning English would be equally challenging.

Edited by Mishelle, 15 January 2011 - 10:28 PM.

#17 neobrah

neobrah
  • 534 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:29 PM

I know how that feels with people who can either speak very little or none at all... ALot of patience is needed and sometime you really have to baby....random thought I remember my mom bought a cheesesteak from Genos once and asked in a you asian accent and the owner their gave the dirtiest look to her ever...had me worked up for my graduation lol

funny thing happened to me about 3 months ago. i was eating in a more white populated area at fatburger (restaurant name) and they waiter looked at me puzzled for about 5-10 seconds before asking me super slowly "what......do.....you.....what....to....order...???.....burger??....bur-ger?..."

i was pretty pissed and was like... "i can speak english fluently, i was born here."

place was delicious but i can't believe people still do that nowadays.

#18 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:31 PM

Also, I gotta say that the areas where it's only Chinese are awesome. Yes I'm Canadian born but my blood is still Chinese. I go to China once in a while and it's nice to see a place so close to home where I can enjoy more authentic things from my culture, unlike the bullshit Chinese food white people like

#19 Ziz

Ziz
  • 936 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:31 PM

well, when immigrants come to another country, whether they like it or not they'll eventually have to learn english (or their children).

*come to another english speaking country

although i do see what you mean in a way...some immigrants choose not to contribute to our society (although the majority does) and takes advantage of our political and economic structure (in canada, free health care).

The only way they can live not contributing to society and taking advantage of the services is living an illegal life, and that would be generalizing immigrants.

I think someone can cooperate even if they don't know to speak english.
They can work with no problems about their languajes if they are janitors or factory workers.
If they are hoping to become something better than that in US, they will end up learining english sooner or later.

#20 Guest_jcrgirl_*

Guest_jcrgirl_*

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:38 PM

Oh shut up Cody
I brought up Texas to TEASE you because I know you live there :)

You guys can think whatever you want. I know my neighborhood and its absolutely awful. The immigrants here basically do live the "illegal life"
Both of my parents immigrated here when they were in their 20's and both now fluently speak English. Even my grandmother speaks it fluently (though with a heavy accent) It may be difficult, but the basics should be known by EVERYONE. And, like I said in the first post: the second language is important, it's not like learning to speak English fluently gets rid of your other language-speaking abilities. It's still a melting pot. -__-

#21 Dichromate

Dichromate
  • 277 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:02 PM

I'm not going into a field that would ever require knowledge of Mandarin xP
I'm already fluent in Russian and English, and taking on Spanish as my 3rd language. I think I'm good to go.
Plus, have you actually tried speaking Chinese? It's hard as hell because they make a lot of sounds with their throat instead of their tongue. They have a lot of similar-sounding words, each with different pitches to make a different word. Confusing as hell homie. Good luck teaching a bunch of dumb middle class American (especially the ones in Texas ;) ) a language like chinese LOL

Lol, I speak Chinese. It's actually more a matter of upbringing and practice than actual difficulty of the language. Russian and Spanish to me for example, sounds like aliengab. Wouldn't be able to speak it if you automated my tongue for me.

But at your first post - well, I don't really like the elitist note of it, but I don't really care either. I know what you mean about a tight-knit community with no desire to learn though. I have relatives who moved to England to start small businesses a decade ago, and they STILL can't speak it well. It can't be lack of opportunity, considering that most of their customers are Brits. It's more that they don't even care, preferring to mix with other Chinese/Hong Kong folks. It's not that I condemn them, it's really their life - but I just think they should at least learn. Never hurts to know one more language, right? ;\

#22 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:08 PM

Solution: learn spanish, chinese and russian

#23 Gee

Gee
  • 498 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:10 AM

you're an ignorant, racist asshole.
that is all.
and no, Canada does not have a law with that and thank fucking god. i am so glad i dont live in a country full of ignorant bloody racists/homophobes and other ignorant shits. ugh.

it doesn't matter if your neighbourhood has people who do illegal shit and they're ~illegal aliens or whatever. there's a neighbourhood where i live where many people (NOT JUST NON-ENGLISH SPEAKING PEOPLE, GASP!) that grow their marijuana crops, shoot each other out, etc. honestly. there will always be crime in certain areas.

dont bother trying to argue with me because i dont even read the rebuttals against me anymore lol, but i wanted to give my 2 cents.

tldr: youre a racist asshole

#24 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:12 AM

o, Canada does not have a law with that and thank fucking god

Language skills are a requirement for citizenship. In either french (quebec) or english (rest of canada)

#25 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:36 AM

Fuck that, you come to England, you learn English. We invented the god damn thing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users