Quantcast

If you don't speak English, stay the hell out of America, seriously!

• Please log in to reply
361 replies to this topic

#51 Frank274

Frank274
  • 2051 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:49 AM

That is also McDonald's fault for hiring people that doesn't know to speak the required languaje.
It's the obligation of those places to hire the required kind of people for a job.

But, as I said before. What is wrong with an non-english speaking janitor? (or similar jobs that don't need interaction with another languaje speaking costumers)

I think it's downright rude. This isn't always a case of a job. What if you get into a car wreck with someone who doesn't speak English? What if someone is trying to sell something you REALLY want but you can't buy it because they don't speak English?

You wouldn't go to church if you don't believe in God, so why come to America if you can't speak English, let alone try to learn it?

#52 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:51 AM

You wouldn't go to church if you don't believe in God, so why come to America if you can't speak English, let alone try to learn it?

They want to live the American Dream man, THE DREAM!

#53 lexis

lexis
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:52 AM

You mean NORTH America right? :thumbsup:

Anyway I do think that people should know english, not fluently but at least give it a try or work hard for it...

The community is so tight-knit that these people don't really feel compelled to learn English, since everything around them is in Chinese anyway.

I don't see any problem if they speak with each other in chinese or whatever... but again.... they should know english so they could interact with the natives

#54 Frank274

Frank274
  • 2051 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:54 AM

They want to live the American Dream man, THE DREAM!

And I want to blow shit up, but that's illegal :p

#55 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:13 PM

你是一切种族主义

#56 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:23 PM

你是一切种族主义

Oh god

He's one of them...

#57 neobrah

neobrah
  • 534 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:07 PM

I think it's a problem when they go to banks and expect people to know what they're saying.

I've waited in line at the bank and see non English speaking people start talking to the bank clerk in their own language not knowing a single word of English.

And to top it all off they get angry and aggravated!

#58 Fresca

Fresca
  • 514 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:26 PM

Posted Image

This image is lying to you. I did not, in fact, create it at nackvision.com. Rather, I used Google. Hooray, America!

#59 Nunc

Nunc
  • 443 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:49 AM

I live in New Orleans, and there's a huge Arabic community a few blocks away from my house. They don't even speak proper English, most of them.

I say this as a first generation immigrant meself- anyone who can't get above the 50th percentile of high school graduates on the English section of the SAT or a comparable test oughtn't be allowed into America. Refugee status notwithstanding.

For that matter, I think we should curtail or ban immigration from any countries with a lower GDP per capita than us. Though of course, the corporations being as powerful and greedy as they are, this will never get implemented unless some major changes come about. A sad fact.

Edited by Nunc, 17 January 2011 - 10:08 AM.

#60 equitatus

equitatus
  • 269 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:11 AM

wow you're........pretty messed up what can i say

#61 Fresca

Fresca
  • 514 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:49 AM

I live in New Orleans, and there's a huge Arabic community a few blocks away from my house. They don't even speak proper English, most of them.

Disregarding the rest of your reply, where at in New Orleans do you live? I moved to Florida from NO and I miss it everydayyy :(

#62 Nunc

Nunc
  • 443 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:22 AM

The Westbank. I used to live on Tchoupitoulas, near the big warehouse, but we moved right before Katrina. Lucky, too; our old home was flooded.

#63 Fresca

Fresca
  • 514 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:17 PM

The Westbank. I used to live on Tchoupitoulas, near the big warehouse, but we moved right before Katrina. Lucky, too; our old home was flooded.

Kinda close to where the giant Walmart is now? Lol. We lived on Dauphine (not in the quarter, though) before Katrina and unfortunately that's exactly why we had to move. :/

#64 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:20 PM

Really..Cuz I think the First Amendment protects the right of speech, and not only this the Gov't does not have a designated national language..True its a pain at times and I can understand the sentiment...however, they should be allowed to speak whatever...

#65 Guest_jcrgirl_*

Guest_jcrgirl_*

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:00 PM

Mmm I've dealt with a few customers who pretended they didn't know English and when they asked the prices of clothes, I'd say "Fifty Five DOLLARS" and Id even write the number on a piece of paper and they tried to play stupid with me like "Ohhh 5 dollars???" The immigrants here seriously look down on the natives who don't know their language and I have no doubt in my mind they talk trash about us too.

Just the other day, this one man came into the store and wasted all of my time trying to help him. He asked for price cuts up the wazoo. Its funny they are familiar with terms like "i pay cash you go under the table" but nothing else, ha. Discount discount discount fuck off!!!!!! -rage- In the end, he ended up not buying anything because he didnt want to pay tax. It was $1.20 give me a break. Everyone has to pay taxes and you aren't above the law -__-

This neighborhood really brings out the worst in people, Jesus Christ. And THIS is only what I've been through at MY store. (It's so much worse everywhere else)
There is nothing wrong with socializing with each other in your own language, but when your job is to communicate with others, you can't JUST know Spanish/Chinese/Arabic whatever. Its fucking frustrating as hell e__e.

#66 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:50 PM

It goes both ways, you know. There are shitty people who refuse to learn English, and then there are shitty people who refuse to listen to someone who is TRYING to communicate. I have worked with people from India, Africa, Vietnam, and China. I have seen these educated pharmacists speaking English to people, but because their accents too thick for morons fiddling with their iphones or ADD medication to actually pause and try to understand, they receive complaints that they need to learn English. That disgusts me more than when people address me in Spanish because of the color of my skin and hair.

#67 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:05 AM

It goes both ways, you know. There are shitty people who refuse to learn English, and then there are shitty people who refuse to listen to someone who is TRYING to communicate. I have worked with people from India, Africa, Vietnam, and China. I have seen these educated pharmacists speaking English to people, but because their accents too thick for morons fiddling with their iphones or ADD medication to actually pause and try to understand, they receive complaints that they need to learn English. That disgusts me more than when people address me in Spanish because of the color of my skin and hair.

and your sombrero

#68 Nunc

Nunc
  • 443 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:59 PM

What's your ethnic origin? If you're a mediterranean slav, then I must say that's despicable on their part. Otherwise, meh, not mucho difference, señor.

Edited by Nunc, 18 January 2011 - 03:59 PM.

#69 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:59 PM

What's your ethnic origin? If you're a mediterranean slav, then I must say that's despicable on their part. Otherwise, meh, not mucho difference, señor.

mediterranean slav?

I thought slavs were like russia+friends and mediterraneans were southern europeans?

#70 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:54 PM

mediterranean slav?

I thought slavs were like russia+friends and mediterraneans were southern europeans?

There's a couple of Slavic countries with Mediterranean coastlines but they're relatively few in number. (Slovenia, Croatia and Bosnia&Herzegovina are the only ones I can think of offhand that would satisfy both). Really, I think they're actually on the Adriatic Sea anyway, although that might technically be part of the Med...

#71 Nunc

Nunc
  • 443 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:24 PM

Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Republika Srpska, Montenegro, Macedonia, Bulgaria, and Serbia are both Mediterranean and Slavic countries. I simply suspected that PRBM was a Croat.

EDIT: Not that there's anything wrong with that, some of my best friends are Catholic pig-dog infidels.

Edited by Nunc, 18 January 2011 - 06:37 PM.

#72 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:32 PM

Oh I see

Thanks for clarification Ali/Nunc

Didn't think there was any overlap

#73 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:09 PM

Holy shit, at first I seriously thought this was a troll. I'm still not too sure yet. Shit like this isn't any different from the dumb fucks trying to put God in school and government - we're not a Christian nation. They're both as ignorant.

Lol gtfo troll. Stop being so Americentric seeing as many countries, European countries and the UK ARE Christian countries.

Also, what does religious values and learning basic skills have to do with each other? I'm ignorant of electronic manafacturing but I don't bring that up.

Until you get an actual valid point, stay the hell out of debate.

#74 leurz

leurz
  • 146 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:52 AM

I don't think you're upset at these people because they don't speak English, but because they are just A-holes. If they weren't selectively using their English to be asses, they would be doing something else.

There's no need to go and be a bigot about language, especially in America. I mean, in other countries, that would make sense. America is a nation of immigrants and to insist on assimilation is something that the Chinese would do.....so quit being a commy.

#75 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:56 AM

I don't think you're upset at these people because they don't speak English, but because they are just A-holes. If they weren't selectively using their English to be asses, they would be doing something else.

There's no need to go and be a bigot about language, especially in America. I mean, in other countries, that would make sense. America is a nation of immigrants and to insist on assimilation is something that the Chinese would do.....so quit being a commy.

I was almost going to rep you for that post

then I Read the last line xD But still some good points in there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users