Quantcast

If you don't speak English, stay the hell out of America, seriously!

• Please log in to reply
361 replies to this topic

#76 rizler

rizler
  • 637 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:26 AM

are you racist? seriously?
think you should give them a chance to be honest and if you hate it that much i think you should move out of the state/area too.
and its not just america even england are getting all kind of immagrants who cant speak proper english but we arent kicking or chatting crap about them!

#77 chaoprokia

chaoprokia
  • 558 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:45 AM

Hand sign , use an iphone translator take the menu put over ur phone translate into english and pinpoint to them.

Edited by chaoprokia, 15 February 2011 - 11:45 AM.

#78 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:38 PM

Hand sign , use an iphone translator take the menu put over ur phone translate into english and pinpoint to them.

>Implying everyone in the service industry can afford a smart-phone

#79 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:46 PM

>Implying everyone in the service industry can afford a smart-phone

You just need to sell more neopoints.

Also,

>Green texting with black text

#80 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:05 PM

You just need to sell more neopoints.

Also,

>Green texting with black text

>Implying I care enough about a meme to change my text's color

Also,

>Implying a bracket doesn't show progression if I don't change its color

#81 MisterDerp

MisterDerp
  • 261 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:47 PM

If you are a first generation immigrant, who mastered English from scratch, I have nothing more to say.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

N.B: I know Americans who live in their own cultural bubble when overseas and do not take the initiative to engage with the local community.

Do the locals complain? No.

In business, I have never heard of the ridiculous concept of customers adapting to merchants, only the other way round.

Choosing to ignore a potentially money-making market will only be to your disadvantage.

+ the easiest person to change is yourself - go and learn some basic Spanish/Russian/Chinese.

Hoo boy, funny you should mention that. There was a bit of a shitstorm when one of the steak shops here (in Philadelphia) had a sign up that said something like, "If you can't speak English, don't order here." I'm sure it's not the norm but it's definitely happened before.

The only problem I have is not when English isn't their first language, but when their accent is so thick, that their speech is completely unintelligible. I had a project for Marketing class where I needed to see if Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks were competing with one another, and I ended up running into that problem at Dunkin Donuts. It sounded like they were annoyed at me snooping around, and I decided it would be better to assume the worst than stick around and possibly piss them off.

Edited by PsychoSoldier, 16 February 2011 - 01:58 PM.

#82 maruvott

maruvott
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:57 PM

I think you're annoying, not that people.

You're such an ignorant that the only thing that must be ILLEGAL is people like you!!

#83 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:03 PM

I think you're annoying, not that people.

You're such an ignorant that the only thing that must be ILLEGAL is people like you!!

Are you like, 12 or something?

#84 Nunc

Nunc
  • 443 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:05 PM

He is.

Source: IP Check + $5 to track them down using a website

#85 Frank12

Frank12
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this user!

• 276 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:32 PM

Um, truth be told, you should learn a countries primary language before becoming an occupant of the country. It shouldn't be a law or anything, but don't expect people to be tolerant with you. People have enough problems with their own lives, and most won't give the time of day to help teach an immigrant, especially one of Mexican descent because they are stereotyped to the point of ridicule. Just pointing out the facts...

#86 rizler

rizler
  • 637 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:10 AM

i think its just respect if you learn the language of the country first or atleast attempt :)

#87 Las3rs

Las3rs
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:05 PM

This is incredibly ignorant. I was born and raised outside of America (Japan), but I have learned and assimilated into the American culture pretty well. And contrary to what you may believe, I can actually speak English very well. However, my parents and grandparents have a hard time with the English language. It's hard to learn a new language once you hit a certain age, and they arrived here in their late 30's. They made the sacrifice of cultural comfort for their children, so people like this should be commended rather than condemned.

#88 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:39 AM

This is incredibly ignorant. I was born and raised outside of America (Japan), but I have learned and assimilated into the American culture pretty well. And contrary to what you may believe, I can actually speak English very well. However, my parents and grandparents have a hard time with the English language. It's hard to learn a new language once you hit a certain age, and they arrived here in their late 30's. They made the sacrifice of cultural comfort for their children, so people like this should be commended rather than condemned.

Read the thread before posting. Cheers.

#89 Persuasion

Persuasion
  • 551 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:50 AM

Do you guys think that learning fundamental English for Immigrants / fluent English for their children is a mandatory requirement for green card eligibility to the United States?
Why/Why Not
---
Isn't it require to get a citizenship? You need to take some sort of test, including a verablized one...
^But overall, I agree, if you don't speak English, it's incredibly annoying, especially if you're trying to communicate with them yourself.

i think its just respect if you learn the language of the country first or atleast attempt :)

^Agreed; it's just disrespectful for other to speak other languages in front of you; you're clueless. Though we have to keep in mind that other cultures have different beliefs and ideas of respect than us... Eh.

#90 rizler

rizler
  • 637 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:56 AM

if you dont learn the language only you will be made a fool of talking like an idiot. Youll miss out on what you want because the other person wont know what your saying

#91 Las3rs

Las3rs
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:47 AM

Read the thread before posting. Cheers.

I did. Tell me what I didn't read again?

#92 maruvott

maruvott
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:57 AM

I'm not 12, at all. And I don't know why do you think i'm that age. You really believe that people decided to move to the U.S by their own?, well, the answer is no. If they would decided to do it, of course they would learn english before they move, obviously. They had to move becouse of extreme reasons, at least most of them.

#93 zevrom

zevrom
  • 411 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:16 PM

Um no cuz people that move to the US usually learn English over time you try to learn there language form a day to another

#94 Fruit

Fruit
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:13 PM

I'm Chinese, my English is pretty good, and neither do I have an "asian accent". >__>;
But my parents, however, do.

Although I don't live in America (Canada FTW), I don't think people should be kicked out of a country in which they don't know the language of.
I mean, suppose you wanted to visit China (I said suppose), does that mean we can kick you out for not being able to speak Chinese?

Like you're working in a restaurant. You speak English fluently, however, your Chinese sucks.
A Chinese family walks into your restaurant. You kindly take them to their table without saying anything.

When the Chinese family is ready to order, they ask for "Beef with Broccoli, Pork Buns, Chow Mein, Dumplings, Chocolate Ice Cream, 2 Cups of tea, and a bottle of coke".
You bring them... "Salad without the dressing, stale bread, noodles with soup, a hamster, tiramisu ice cream, 2 cups of coffee and a bottle of vodka".

So I'd disagree with being kicked out of America just for not knowing English as well as others.
I mean, my parents really want to learn English, however, they work their butts off, and don't have enough time to learn.

I know that a lot of my friends' parents are using up their free time to learn English at a college.
Don't judge. D:

#95 Blueberry

Blueberry
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:51 PM

why cant you learn their language O_o

#96 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:04 PM

"Salad without the dressing, stale bread, noodles with soup, a hamster, tiramisu ice cream, 2 cups of coffee and a bottle of vodka".

You guys eat hamsters over there? What the fuck?

#97 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:05 PM

why cant you learn their language O_o

How many languages are spoken in the US?
How many of those should I learn to accommodate immigrants?

#98 darkmagegurl

darkmagegurl
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:28 PM

How many languages are spoken in the US?
How many of those should I learn to accommodate immigrants?

Depends on which you encounter fairly frequently.

#99 Blueberry

Blueberry
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:32 PM

I'm just saying, you're calling them lazy for not learning an extremely complicated language and yet you cant even learn something that you probably have the time and money for.

#100 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:45 PM

I'm just saying, you're calling them lazy for not learning an extremely complicated language and yet you cant even learn something that you probably have the time and money for.

Their learning of english is basically a requirement for them in integrate and largely, to succeed. The lack of integration is why increasingly politicians are saying multiculturalism has failed and is responsible for a lot of conflict. Your statement is flawed, we know maybe 1% of what we have the time and money to learn, I don't see where you're going with this...

But this whole debate is stupid. Either you're part of the majority and want to keep it that way and you support the OP or you're part of the minority and you don't want your rights violated. Or you're left wing and pro immigration

Either way no one's opinions are changing and people are just going to get upset

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users