Photo

Please sign the petition against the Patriot Act

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:03 PM

It's up for renewal, and we need to make sure this shit doesn't come back.

http://act.demandpro...4&source=typ-fb

Spread the word.

Discuss

#2 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:10 PM

While I also agree that it needs to be abolished and removed..a petition will never work...You need money and lobbyists to do anything..Our best hope was the President but he screwed the pooch once again...

While I say the petition won't work, I guess it could in theory if it was so widely distributed and signed and then given to our representatives in the Senate and House...Sadly, its all a pipe dream. As long as the "threat" of terrorists are out there the fear mongering politicians will keep it in power...Remember you have a better chance of dying from cigarettes and car crashes than from a terrorist...

Fear politics in play...and I signed it...I guess hope is all we can cling onto.

#3 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:11 PM

Well, petitions like these successfully pressured the FCC before.

#4 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:19 PM

Well, petitions like these successfully pressured the FCC before.

True, but the FCC is so sketchy...They were involved in NSA wiretaps..wondering though if being an independent agency of the government did anything to do with it...will have to check into it...

Repeal the Patriot Act and keep your civil liberties!

#5 Tsunade

Tsunade
  • 676 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:08 AM

Ignorant UK resident here.

Whats the patriot act and whats wrong with it. :)

#6 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:12 AM

Ignorant UK resident here.

Whats the patriot act and whats wrong with it. :)

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Patriot_act

Here's the quick version:

The Act dramatically reduced restrictions on law enforcement agencies' ability to search telephone, e-mail communications, medical, financial, and other records; eased restrictions on foreign intelligence gathering within the United States; expanded the Secretary of the Treasury’s authority to regulate financial transactions, particularly those involving foreign individuals and entities; and broadened the discretion of law enforcement and immigration authorities in detaining and deporting immigrants suspected of terrorism-related acts. The act also expanded the definition of terrorism to include domestic terrorism, thus enlarging the number of activities to which the USA PATRIOT Act’s expanded law enforcement powers can be applied.

Opponents of the law have criticized its authorization of indefinite detentions of immigrants; searches through which law enforcement officers search a home or business without the owner’s or the occupant’s permission or knowledge; the expanded use of National Security Letters, which allows the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to search telephone, e-mail, and financial records without a court order; and the expanded access of law enforcement agencies to business records, including library and financial records. Since its passage, several legal challenges have been brought against the act, and Federal courts have ruled that a number of provisions are unconstitutional.

#7 Dichromate

Dichromate
  • 277 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:47 AM

There's an option for 'Not in the US'. Is it for US citizens not in the states, or citizens of other countries? If the latter, would the list be considered effective if it contained petitioners that aren't even American citizens?

Just wondering. ;o

#8 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:50 AM

I don't have anything to hide, why do I care if they search me?
(Somewhat of a devil's advocate stance rather than a serious statement.)

#9 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:22 AM

Those who would surrender essential freedoms for temporary security deserve neither. -BF

Want to know why the patriot act doesn't work? Because while they're now allowed to watch every person that's ever checked out the anarchist cookbook from their local library, the terruhists are sending fresh jihadis every day, with clean passports, crisp euros or yen, and no fucking paper trail to YEMEN! I mean, seriously, how many international calls are placed each week to yemen? I bet the number from the U.S. is even lower. We almost had them with the phone taps, you could tell. We were getting predator drone missile strikes on the news every other week. Now it's... guerilla warfare. They've retreated to high ground, holed up. Fucking luddites actually think financial instruments are the downfall of their religion. Whatever, THEY aren't the problem. The problem is US thinking we need to police ourselves by playing russian roulette with your wife's O face as stakes. You want that to leak? Fuck you they've already got it in triplicate, so sign against the patriot act.

#10 Tsunade

Tsunade
  • 676 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:27 PM

While I have only just been opened up to this act, I don't really see the biggest of problems with it. If you have done nothing, you have nothing to fear, right?

#11 Kido

Kido
  • 1046 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:34 PM

What tsunade said. I'd sign just the heck of it but I'm not american so.....Posted Image

#12 Homer

Homer
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:22 PM

They think their so clever calling it the "Patriot Act"... psh...
I would sign it, but it seems like I'm just blowing hot air on the internet. I rather just write a letter to my congressman and keep a copy
for my records.

Edited by Homer, 19 January 2011 - 06:24 PM.

#13 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:27 PM

While I have only just been opened up to this act, I don't really see the biggest of problems with it. If you have done nothing, you have nothing to fear, right?

We have the constitution for a reason; if we let ourselves get controlled like this, we'll end up losing all of our rights, like China.

#14 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:28 PM

The problem with this act is even if suspicious of. And haven't a majority of their catches/suspicions been false? I'm with warriors on this one, but I'll sign it.

#15 dolphinbomb

dolphinbomb
  • YAAAAAAYYYYY

• 3758 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:46 AM

How cute, you actually think this will accomplish anything.

#16 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:57 AM

How cute, you actually think this will accomplish anything.

Once a cynic-

-always depressed and alone.

Just saying though man, you gotta have a little more optimism concerning civic activity of we'll never see voter turnout top 60%

#17 Tsunade

Tsunade
  • 676 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:04 PM

We have the constitution for a reason; if we let ourselves get controlled like this, we'll end up losing all of our rights, like China.

And china is quickly becomming the fastest growing economic superpower. Must be doing something right.

#18 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:07 PM

And china is quickly becomming the fastest growing economic superpower. Must be doing something right.

Having a billion extra people willing to work for peanuts would usually help to boost economic output. :p

#19 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:09 PM

yall going on fbi watch lists

#20 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:30 PM

Having a billion extra people willing to work for peanuts would usually help to boost economic output. :p

HAHAHA love this post.

yall going on fbi watch lists

rofl that would be hilarious

#21 Roxi

Roxi
  • 499 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:42 PM

I see two sides to this. On one hand, I have no problem with them checking in on me, because I have nothing to hide. On the other side, this seems to be taking away our constitutional rights. I don't see how this Act can be overriding the Bill of Rights.

#22 Abradix

Abradix
  • 769 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:36 PM

I'll be back in Japan this year. Enjoy your sinking ship Amerifags :)

#23 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:07 PM

I'll be back in Japan this year. Enjoy your sinking ship Amerifags :)

American in Japan? Enjoy your second class citizenship status

#24 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:14 PM

Yikes D: *signs*

#25 Abradix

Abradix
  • 769 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:39 PM

American in Japan? Enjoy your second class citizenship status

Isn't that the beauty of it? I can do whatever the hell I want and get away with it because I'm American. Throw up in the streets? He's American. Break all social guidelines? He's American. Have sex with beautiful Japanese women? I'M AMERICAN!

So what if the guys are jelly and won't accept me, I don't wanna be Japanese. I wanna get away with ridiculoud shit :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users