Quantcast

What book are you currently reading?

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#26 Dreww

Dreww
  • 552 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:35 PM

Trying to start Don Quixote for personal reading but Hamlet/The Tempest/1984 are getting in the way of it :(

Tempest is quite an interesting play. How're you liking the theme so far? Have you read Act3Scene2 yet? That has one of my favorite lines in all of shakespeare.

#27 Kalla

Kalla
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:50 PM

I'm in between a couple as well but mainly focused on The Master and the Margarita, its INCREDIBLE.

#28 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:53 PM

Is that the new Jon Stewart book? I've been meaning to go buy it.

Yea, the awaited sequel to America: The Book.

If you like a humorously written fake textbook, then Earth is pretty enjoyable.

#29 Frank12

Frank12
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this user!

• 276 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:14 PM

ive also read a little Shakespeare in the form of Julius Caesar

#30 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:16 PM

Tempest is quite an interesting play. How're you liking the theme so far? Have you read Act3Scene2 yet? That has one of my favorite lines in all of shakespeare.

Haha, that's my favourite scene in the play. The only parts I really like involved the good ol' drunks. Nature vs nurture is fascinating but the the play doesn't really explore it in a way I find interesting and unfortunately reading stuff in school has a way of killing it

Which line is your favorite?

#31 Puppetmaster

Puppetmaster
  • 905 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:20 PM

Books? People still read those things?

#32 Dreww

Dreww
  • 552 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:15 PM

Books? People still read those things?

Yes, quite often.

Haha, that's my favourite scene in the play. The only parts I really like involved the good ol' drunks. Nature vs nurture is fascinating but the the play doesn't really explore it in a way I find interesting and unfortunately reading stuff in school has a way of killing it

Which line is your favorite?

Caliban's speech around line 160(?), starting with "Be not afeard, the isle is full of noises". It creates the perfect juxtaposition from the savage to have him say such beautiful words. The passage caught me by surprise the first time we acted it out in a class so that halfway through the scene I started reading it, paused, and broke character arguing that Caliban couldn't have said those lines.

#33 Dichromate

Dichromate
  • 277 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:20 PM

Reading Shogun by James Clavell. It makes for an interesting insight into ancient Japanese life, though I'm not sure if it's true/well-researched. It seems to be based on Ieyasu Tokugawa/Oda Nobunaga's era, though how loosely, I don't know either. One thing about these books is that they actually make me run out and do research just to see if it's telling the truth. >_>

I'll just take it at face value, I suppose.

It's a distraction until I find the rest of the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Only bought 1, 3 and 4 - with the rest out of stock by the local bookstore for god knows how long.

#34 Dreww

Dreww
  • 552 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:29 PM

Reading Shogun by James Clavell. It makes for an interesting insight into ancient Japanese life, though I'm not sure if it's true/well-researched. It seems to be based on Ieyasu Tokugawa/Oda Nobunaga's era, though how loosely, I don't know either. One thing about these books is that they actually make me run out and do research just to see if it's telling the truth. >_>

I'll just take it at face value, I suppose.

It's a distraction until I find the rest of the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Only bought 1, 3 and 4 - with the rest out of stock by the local bookstore for god knows how long.

If you also like modern Japanese non-fiction, I read an interesting one called Confessions of a Yakuza. One of the better biography-stories I've read.

#35 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:32 PM

I've been reading quite a few series at once lately.. I've been reading the Harry Potter series over again, for like, the third time lol. Also keeping myself updated on the Sookie Stackhouse novels. :3
And, not books per say, but my currently comic book obsession is Hellboy :3

#36 Guest_jcrgirl_*

Guest_jcrgirl_*

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:18 PM

Just finished Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead
Almost done with White Witch, Black Curse by uhhh.... Kim Harrison
after that it's back to Awakened by PC Cast/ Kristin Cast ~_~

#37 Dichromate

Dichromate
  • 277 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:00 AM

If you also like modern Japanese non-fiction, I read an interesting one called Confessions of a Yakuza. One of the better biography-stories I've read.

I usually don't read Japanese stories written by Caucasian authors. After hearing about people fighting over the validity of Authur Golden's books, I don't believe much of what is being said. Book sounds interesting though + written by a genuine Japanese dude. Will check it out. :)

#38 Vivendio

Vivendio
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:51 AM

I've been reading Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer.

#39 MiladyM

MiladyM
  • 428 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:35 AM

Robert Jordan - Wheel of time.

#40 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:46 AM

Jughead Double Digest

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

Also keeping myself updated on the Sookie Stackhouse novels. :3 

Yeah, I've been reading the southern Vampire series, too. I don't know why. It's such shit, really. There are few things I hate more than a Mary Sue.

#41 Lychee

Lychee
  • 633 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:05 AM

I'm reading The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick and Jeeves and the Feudal Spirit by P.G. Wodehouse. Both are brilliant in very different ways.

#42 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:09 AM

Amazon was my friend for that.

#43 Guest_Marshmallow_*

Guest_Marshmallow_*

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:01 AM

I might read Grapes of Wrath next. (it's on my list)
Hopefully it's as good as the BD Weap...

#44 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:16 AM

I might read Grapes of Wrath next. (it's on my list)
Hopefully it's as good as the BD Weap...

Rating of the book on Amazon:
4.5/5 stars

Rating of the weapon on idb:
9/10

Seems like a push :p

#45 iceberg2477

iceberg2477
  • 353 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:49 PM

i just started reading A Briefer History of Time by Stephen Hawking. although briefer its still a lil complicated yet understandable lol

#46 Guest_Marshmallow_*

Guest_Marshmallow_*

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

Rating of the book on Amazon:
4.5/5 stars

Rating of the weapon on idb:
9/10

Seems like a push

So they have the same rating! :p
Can't wait to read it now. lol

#47 Doginator

Doginator
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:49 PM

Just finished the dragon tattoo series. They are pretty good :). I need some suggestions for good fantasy books.

#48 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:53 PM

Yeah, I've been reading the southern Vampire series, too. I don't know why. It's such shit, really. There are few things I hate more than a Mary Sue.

Sososo bad and yet I'm compelled to read them all.

#49 sircomflix

sircomflix
  • 461 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 04:51 PM

Robert Jordan - Wheel of time.

Ugh I just want this to end already. I'm solely reading for obligation now because after 2 decades and numerous re-reads to refresh, it just gets tiresome -.-

#50 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:01 AM

Sososo bad and yet I'm compelled to read them all.

I don't know what it is. I love vampires and werewolves, but it's so not worth the disappointment.
The worst part is after you're done reading all the bad sex scenes, you get to the end of the book and see this:
Posted Image

:(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users