Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:42 PM

http://searchenginel...h-results-62914

Excerpt:

Hey, Does This Seem Odd To You?
Around late May of last year, Google told me it began noticing that Bing seemed to be doing exceptionally well at returning the same sites that Google would list, when someone would enter unusual misspellings.

For example, consider a search for torsoraphy, which causes Google to return this:

Posted Image

In the example above, Google’s searched for the correct spelling — tarsorrhaphy — even though torsoraphy was entered. Notice the top listing for the corrected spelling is a page about the medical procedure at Wikipedia.

Over at Bing, the misspelling is NOT corrected — but somehow, Bing manages to list the same Wikipedia page at the top of its results as Google does for its corrected spelling results:

Posted Image

Got it? Despite the word being misspelled — and the misspelling not being corrected — Bing still manages to get the right page from Wikipedia at the top of its results, one of four total pages it finds from across the web. How did it do that?

It’s a point of pride to Google that it believes it has the best spelling correction system of any search engine. Google even claims that it can even correct misspellings that have never been searched on before. Engineers on the spelling correction team closely watch to see if they’re besting competitors on unusual terms.

So when misspellings on Bing for unusual words — such as above — started generating the same results as with Google, red flags went up among the engineers.

Google: Is Bing Copying Us?
More red flags went up in October 2010, when Google told me it noticed a marked rise in two key competitive metrics. Across a wide range of searches, Bing was showing a much greater overlap with Google’s top 10 results than in preceding months. In addition, there was an increase in the percentage of times both Google and Bing listed exactly the same page in the number one spot.

By no means did Bing have exactly the same search results as Google. There were plenty of queries where the listings had major differences. However, the increases were indicative that Bing had made some change to its search algorithm which was causing its results to be more Google-like.

Now Google began to strongly suspect that Bing might be somehow copying its results, in particular by watching what people were searching for at Google. There didn’t seem to be any other way it could be coming up with such similar matches to Google, especially in cases where spelling corrections were happening.

Google thought Microsoft’s Internet Explorer browser was part of the equation. Somehow, IE users might have been sending back data of what they were doing on Google to Bing. In particular, Google told me it suspected either the Suggested Sites feature in IE or the Bing toolbar might be doing this.

To Sting A Bing
Posted ImageTo verify its suspicions, Google set up a sting operation. For the first time in its history, Google crafted one-time code that would allow it to manually rank a page for a certain term (code that will soon be removed, as described further below). It then created about 100 of what it calls “synthetic” searches, queries that few people, if anyone, would ever enter into Google.

These searches returned no matches on Google or Bing — or a tiny number of poor quality matches, in a few cases — before the experiment went live. With the code enabled, Google placed a honeypot page to show up at the top of each synthetic search.

The only reason these pages appeared on Google was because Google forced them to be there. There was nothing that made them naturally relevant for these searches. If they started to appeared at Bing after Google, that would mean that Bing took Google’s bait and copied its results.

This all happened in December. When the experiment was ready, about 20 Google engineers were told to run the test queries from laptops at home, using Internet Explorer, with Suggested Sites and the Bing Toolbar both enabled. They were also told to click on the top results. They started on December 17. By December 31, some of the results started appearing on Bing.

Here’s an example, which is still working as I write this, hiybbprqag at Google:

Posted Image

and the same exact match at Bing:

Posted Image

Here’s another, for mbzrxpgjys at Google:

Posted Image

and the same match at Bing:

Posted Image

Here’s one more, this time for indoswiftjobinproduction, at Google:

Posted Image

And at Bing:

Posted Image

To be clear, before the test began, these queries found either nothing or a few poor quality results on Google or Bing. Then Google made a manual change, so that a specific page would appear at the top of these searches, even though the site had nothing to do with the search. Two weeks after that, some of these pages began to appear on Bing for these searches.

It strongly suggests that Bing was copying Google’s results, by watching what some people do at Google via Internet Explorer.

Is It Illegal?
Suffice to say, Google’s pretty unhappy with the whole situation, which does raise a number of issues. For one, is what Bing seems to be doing illegal? Singhal was “hesitant” to say that since Google technically hasn’t lost anything. It still has its own results, even if it feels Bing is mimicking them.

Is it Cheating?
If it’s not illegal, is what Bing may be doing unfair, somehow cheating at the search game?

On the one hand, you could say it’s incredibly clever. Why not mine what people are selecting as the top results on Google as a signal? It’s kind of smart. Indeed, I’m pretty sure we’ve had various small services in the past that have offered for people to bookmark their top choices from various search engines.

Google doesn’t see it as clever.

“It’s cheating to me because we work incredibly hard and have done so for years but they just get there based on our hard work,” said Singhal. “I don’t know how else to call it but plain and simple cheating. Another analogy is that it’s like running a marathon and carrying someone else on your back, who jumps off just before the finish line.”

In particular, Google seems most concerned that the impact of mining user data on its site potentially pays off the most for Bing on long-tail searches, unique searches where Google feels it works especially hard to distinguish itself.

#2 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:51 PM

Alexa is a search engine/web information website.
A website's "Alexa Ranking" contributes to how high it ranks on Google's search. The higher a website's Alexa ranking is, the higher it will appear on Google for whatever keyword you're searching.

Google uses the work of another website to supplement its rankings.
However, this doesn't hurt Alexa at all because it is primarily a web information site and provides info about particular websites and whatnot.

I think Google has the right to be mad. Although they too use the work of Alexa, it doesn't hurt their business. Bing using Google's results does in fact harm their business because it could cause people to make the switch. Not only that, but it seems then that Bing is offering the same exact product.

I'm siding with the big G.

#3 Lineage

Lineage
  • 498 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:02 PM

I hate Bing with a passion.
After reading, even more so.

#4 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:07 PM

+1 for all that goddamn work..I read it, but at first glance that looked like a ton of work..

I hated Bing when they tried to give freebies away for searching..They will never be able to a Google!

#5 Inver

Inver
  • 298 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:08 PM

I knew it. They seemed shady to begin with. I'll always be a Google girl, Bing can go off and die.

#6 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:17 PM

I think this is good. It will make them rework bing to make it better. Personally i use google first and if not on first page type it in bing and its got it.

#7 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:19 PM

I think this is good. It will make them rework bing to make it better. Personally i use google first and if not on first page type it in bing and its got it.

Hahaha Noit..This has nothing to do with this thread..but I just realized your name backwards...XD...I am drunk/high(Codeine/Vicodin) and it just occurred to me..Holy shit, I am pathetic.

#8 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:20 PM

ROFL yes that's what made me name myself that. :p A notebook company name. :p

#9 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:11 PM

I never fucking realized it was tradition backwards O_o

#10 Inver

Inver
  • 298 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:15 PM

I never fucking realized it was tradition backwards O_o

I know. I feel like I'm on the short bus now. D:

#11 Wil

Wil
  • 200 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:17 PM

This was an interesting read but one thing keeps standing out. Google did a fucking sting. Like, how does a corporation go about setting up such an elaborate trap?

#12 Inver

Inver
  • 298 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:23 PM

This was an interesting read but one thing keeps standing out. Google did a fucking sting. Like, how does a corporation go about setting up such an elaborate trap?

Because Google's the badass gangsta' of the Internet. You want to know something, you go to Google. Looking for some sweet action? Google. Need help cheating at a kid's site? Google. You can't just roll into the territory, talking smack about being more effective at what Google does without evoking the cunning wrath that is Google.
Respect.

#13 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:24 PM

Hahaha, so it wasn't just me who didn't know/realize it was Tradition backwards XD

#14 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:44 PM

I know. I feel like I'm on the short bus now. D:

Hahaha, so it wasn't just me who didn't know/realize it was Tradition backwards XD

-points to my join date-

Neither of you should worry :p

#15 Abradix

Abradix
  • 769 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:02 PM

This is Bill Gates' classic move. Everyone should've seen this coming.

#16 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:14 PM

GOSH Random you too?? Hahaha from 04! Duude! hahha

Anyways yeah bing isn't so bad but I don't like them showing google results, i go to bing for bing results because I didn't like googles results.

#17 Guest_jcrgirl_*

Guest_jcrgirl_*

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:57 PM

what the fuck is bing?

#18 Wil

Wil
  • 200 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:59 PM

Because Google's the badass gangsta' of the Internet. You want to know something, you go to Google. Looking for some sweet action? Google. Need help cheating at a kid's site? Google. You can't just roll into the territory, talking smack about being more effective at what Google does without evoking the cunning wrath that is Google.
Respect.

This made me lol.

#19 Narcissa

Narcissa

• 320 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:03 PM

Not the first time Microsoft has stolen something; not in the least bit surprised. They haven't come out with anything original in what, the past 5 years?

But shhh, you didn't hear that from me. I'm in the ranks for getting an internship at Intel this summer.

what the fuck is bing?

...and you're a CS major? -boggle-

#20 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:23 PM

what the fuck is bing?

Microsofts ripoff of Google :p

#21 Doginator

Doginator
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:30 PM

Honestly I don't feel bad for google. They have more power then some nations, so I am not going to lose any sleep when they are slightly hindered by someone's ingenuity.

#22 Guest_jcrgirl_*

Guest_jcrgirl_*

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:32 PM

...and you're a CS major? -boggle-

wtf does being a cs major have anything to do with search engines? WHY DO I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT ANYTHING OTHER THAN GOOGLE??????
If I wanted to use Yahoo search, I would just go search on Google and click on "Page 2" and BAM! Bing should stick to making elevator noises and leave google to that russian cutie Sergey Brin and the other badasses of the internets ok

#23 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:47 PM

This is my favourite topic of the last six months.

#24 Jennysaur

Jennysaur
  • 149 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:03 AM

Hated Bing to begin with, and now hating even more.
I feel sorry for google. I love google <3

#25 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:37 AM

How to find Bing:
Step 1: Go to Google
Step 2: Put Bing in the search box
Step 3: Press "I'm Feeling Lucky."

Their catchphrase should have been: