SPEED Guide to Beating NQ2

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#1 iamlost26

iamlost26
  • 563 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:42 PM

POPULAR POST!

This is an updated version of a similar post I made way back in the day at a now-dying neopets forum.

NOTE: This is a guide for people who have beaten NQ2 before, know the basic gameplay, and don’t care about the storyline. I always suggest you beat the game to its entirety once on normal before using these methods.

I can beat NQ2 on Evil in about 2 days, not including the time the autotrainer is working. There's a link to the GreaseMonkey autotrainer below.

I just wanted to get across the fact that NQ2 is profitable, but tedious. The prizes are valuable, and clicking through the game can get you random events. You get prizes for beating each mode, and the prizes on insane are usually worth MILLIONS of NP.

Resources I will talk about:
In Depth Neoquest Guide
Winnie_1964’s NQ2 Guide
Download AdBlock (optional)
Download Greasemonkey
NQ2 Autotrainer script
NQ2 Remote Control Script

Things you should already know

General Tips:
1. If you have an autotrainer, OVERLEVEL your heart out. Leave it running when you go eat dinner if you think it has a low freeze rate. NOTE: in the beginning, this doesn’t really apply because you need to move around a lot to find enemies that actually give you decent experience. Once you’re in faerieland, feel free to get to level 60 the second you enter =p
1a. If you don’t have an autotrainer (or don't want to use one), don’t overlevel. Level to an appropriate level (on Winnie_1964's site there are lists of appropriate levels to defeat bosses) so you don’t waste time getting little experience.
2. IDNQ has a good set of maps, as well as what items you can buy from each location. IDNQ also lets you know what potions each monster drops, which is important to know when you're setting an autotrainer to run without you observing, because you normally should be using the same potions you're picking up.
3. Train at the furtherest place you can go before fighting the next boss, or as far as your characters can handle. If the monsters are stronger than you, train next to a city where you can buy potions. If you have Velm, train anywhere EXCEPT outside (or inside) Hubrid Nox’s Tower. You can get an overview of what monsters are where at IDNG.
4. Stay stocked, especially near the end, but don’t do anything unnecessary. This will bring me to my next point…
5. You do not need to talk to MOST PEOPLE, except in some situations. You don’t need to talk to Snowager, or even the Princess! Don’t talk to anyone unless they’re listed here (unless you need to rest in an inn or buy supplies). If you’re playing without an autotrainer, you might not be strong enough to skip towns, and might not have enough gp to skip getting discounts. Sorry =(
6. If you're on evil or normal modes, you should try to rest at an inn every once in a while, even if you don't need healing. If by some random chance you die, you'll go back to that inn instead of back to the start.

You should be familiar enough with the game with where you need to go, so I'm only going to point out some important events in each chapter that can either be skipped or is absolutely required.

Chapter One:
You must talk to:
1. Mipsy (White River)
2. The Hermit (Lakeside)
3. The Ghost (Phorofor)

Towns you can skip:
White River before Zombom (skipping not recommended)
Seaside

Areas you can skip:
Gold Mine (Boss: Miner Foreman)

Important note about Zombom: Getting through this hurdle is probably one of the hardest for all newbies. You're still on your own, and Zombom can heal and haste while you need items to do both. My suggested strategy is to buy max Healing Vials at White River, then, when you're strong enough, go level up in the cave or the tower. ONLY USE YOUR HEALING VIALS TO HEAL. Accumulate the larger potions, because you'll need them for the fight. If you're running out of Healing Vials, GO BACK TO WHITE RIVER AND BUY MORE. Then rinse and repeat. When you're ready, make sure to buy at least 10 Blast Potions from White River, because they seem to work well on Zombom.

Chapter Two:
You must talk to:
1. Talinia (Mountainside Inn)

Towns you can skip:
Chia Oscuro
Happy Valley

Areas you can skip:
Dirty, Smelly Cave (Boss: Leximp)

Chapter Three:
You must talk to:
1. Velm (Waset Village)
2. Lifra (Palace of Ancient Kings)
3. Lifra (Waset Village)
4. Bukaru (Lost Desert, next to Oasis)
NOTE: you MUST get the 2nd Medallion Piece after speaking to Bukaru (Lost Desert, northeast of Oasis, see maps)
NOTE: you MUST get the centerpiece after defeating Coltzan (Ruined City of Akhten-ka)
NOTE: you MUST get the Gemstone after getting the centerpiece (Lost Desert, in the middle of the rock formation, see maps)

Towns you can skip:
None. However, it should be noted that you do NOT need the journal page to find the passage in the Palace of Ancient Kings.

Areas you can skip:
None

Chapter Four:
You must talk to:
1. Brain Tree (Happy Fun Non-Haunted House)

Towns you can skips:
Shadow Gulch (skipping not recommended, stock potions)

Areas you can skip:
Von Roo's Castle (Boss: Meuka)
Hubrid Nox's Fortress (Boss: Hubrid Nox)

At this point, I'm not going to suggest skipping any towns, because you need to start stocking all damage and slow potions you can get your hands on in preparation for the final bottle.

Chapter Five:
You must talk to:
1. Vitrini after defeating both Pant Devils (Faerie Palace level 2)

Towns you can skip:
All (NOT RECOMMENDED, see Ch 4 note)

Areas you can skip:
None

Okay, now that I got that out of the way, you should be able to skip all the unnecessary stuff and complete the game itself quickly. Now for the less legit part of this guide...

The Less-Legit Stuff...

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I, personally, have never been frozen using the methods shown below. I cannot say the same for everyone, so be careful! You MUST be at least semi-observant when your auto players are running... I'm sure TNT can tell something is up if you're refreshing the NQ2 home page for 6 hours, not getting anywhere in the game. You have been warned!

AdBlock.
I'm sure most of you know what adblock is. For NQ2, my suggestion is to adblock images of all surfaces that you can WALK ON, and ONLY that. You can use non-walkable surfaces as a means or orienting yourself, and this way, if something is blocking your path, you can see it. Depending on your connection/computer, this could speed things up dramatically.This gets kinda depressing in Lost Desert when Rohane is sitting in a sea of white, but being able to SEE the desert would not give you anymore information =p. I also adblocked the Do Nothing Buttons because I found them useless. If you want, you can adblock monsters/character images, but I like seeing my prey. Anyway, TNT never makes things easy for us, so there are exceptions:

1. DO NOT block trees, because you can walk through them on the world map, but not in towns. It’s more convenient to not block it than to block it, so I didn’t.
2. DO NOT block tables, because there are only rare cases where you can walk on them, usually you can’t.
3. DO NOT block stone clouds (Chapter 5), so when you try to find the Faerie Thief the 2nd time, the background for the underground passage will load.
4. On the way to Terask II, the road is a path (which is blocked) and the background is clouds (which you can normally walk on, so it’s blocked). The road is single squared, and easy to navigate, even without a map, so figure it out on your own =p Seriously it takes 5 seconds to figure out which way to go.

Greasemonkey. Greasemonkey is another addon for firefox that allows you to create your own scripts that do things for you. If you don't have a program that automatically plays through this game for you (if they exist), there are a couple of Greasemonkey scripts that can help you on your way:

NeoQuest 2 Autotrainer: http://userscripts.o...ipts/show/30430

The autotrainer automatically moves your characters back and worth and has them do a couple of default actions so that you can level up without watching. Rohane will attack, Mipsy will haste then use Direct Damage, Talinia will used Multiple Targets then attack, and Velm will heal. If your character's HP is in the yellow zone, that character will use a potion. This is probbaly one of the faults of this script, in that you must TELL it what potion to use, and the instructions to do so are a little confusing. To get it to use potions correctly, you must type in "about:config" on your Firefox address bar, right click the list of random things, go to "New", "integer", then paste the following: "greasemonkey.scriptvals.http://nq2guy.tz//NeoQuest II Trainer.healingItem" (without quotation marks). Now, enter one of the following values to tell it which potion to use:

30011 Healing Vial 15 HP
30012 Healing Flask 25 HP
30013 Healing Potion 35 HP
30014 Healing Bottle 50 HP
30021 Potion of Regeneration 60 HP
30022 Potion of Fortitude 70 HP
30023 Potion of Growth 80 HP
30031 Potion of Potent Health 90 HP
30032 Potion of Greater Health 100 HP
30033 Potion of Abundant Health 110 HP
30041 Vitality Potion 120 HP
30042 Stamina Potion 130 HP
30043 Constitution Potion 140 HP
30051 Faerie's Gift Potion 150 HP
30052 Fyora's Blessing Potion 160 HP
30053 Jhudora's Lifeforce Potion 170 HP

Every time you want to switch which potion is being used, you MUST go back to about:config and change the integer value to the new potion's number.

Neoquest 2 Remote Control: http://userscripts.o...ipts/show/30431

Though this is called a "Remote Control", it's actually an automover... there are preset scripts at http://nqiitrainer.freevar.com/ that will allow you to walk away as your character moves from one place to the next. All you need to do is make sure you're in the right starting square at that your characters can survive on the path to wherever you are going. NOTE: You must make sure that GM is on and the script is ACTIVE before loading the settings page, otherwise none of the settings will carryover.

With those two scripts, you should be able to get through the tedious tasks of NQ2 in a fraction of the time. BTW, it still takes some work getting through NQ2, even with all of these tips, so please be aware that soon, I'll be offering my services to complete NQ2 on the TP!

Comment if you have any corrections, questions, or suggestions! :)

Edited by iamlost26, 30 March 2011 - 07:10 AM.

#2 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:37 PM

The potion value number thing doesn't work anymore. You need to go into the script and change the healing item manually.

#3 Pirates

Pirates
  • 302 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:39 PM

What is the freeze rate for the auto trainer?

#4 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:48 PM

Having have used that auto trainer myself for quite a while, I'd say low.

#5 iamlost26

iamlost26
  • 563 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:24 PM

The potion value number thing doesn't work anymore. You need to go into the script and change the healing item manually.

I've been using the trainer for the past two weeks, and changing the potion value is working fine for me. I have never needed to go into the script for it, just need to go into firefox's config menu and change that value I mentioned.

Here's what you need to do:
1. Go to about:config
2. Press "I'll be careful, I promise"
3. Right click anywhere, go to New, Integer, then paste "greasemonkey.scriptvals.http://nq2guy.tz//NeoQuest II Trainer.healingItem"
4. Enter the potion value

When you want to change the potion value, go back to about:config, find the item line that you created, double click it, then enter the new potion value. Even if the script is currently running while you're editing it, it will change which potion is using mid battle.

Is there something differently that you're doing? Or are you sure you're using the exact same script as the one I posted?

#6 Faval

Faval
  • 637 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:38 PM

Modified it into one script and used it for like a month to beat NQ2 insane...not frozen so far and it's been 2 weeks :) mmm bow of destiny.

#7 moreira

moreira
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:19 AM

shall give it a try! thanks

#8 iamlost26

iamlost26
  • 563 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:37 AM

Modified it into one script and used it for like a month to beat NQ2 insane...not frozen so far and it's been 2 weeks :) mmm bow of destiny.

Yeah, I must be pretty obsessed... I just started playing again from Normal mode last week and I'm halfway through insane now.

#9 Phineas

Phineas
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:39 AM

+rep

cheers. the autotrainer potion thing is annoying as hell, but still speeds NQ up a lot

#10 Butet

Butet
  • 213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:14 PM

thanx a lot..i'm on evil mode now and it really help me lvl up fast

#11 ifethereal

ifethereal
  • 207 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:48 AM

If you have Velm, train anywhere EXCEPT outside (or inside) Hubrid Nox’s Tower.

Wow, why?

Anyway, been using the script for a while. The longest time I left it on was ~5 hours. And I didn't get iced, so this is pretty low freeze rate.

I decided to integrate them into one, cos Remote Control had me dying a few times at the start.

Spoiler

Changes:
  • Dialog boxes to select whether you are training or travelling
  • Can paste path to travel directly into dialog box, and press OK
  • Option to battle enemies instead of fleeing from them when you are travelling
If you were training and want to switch to travelling, however, you have to go to about:config and change greasemonkey.scriptvals.http://nq2guy.tz//NeoQuest II Remote Control.pathIndex to 0. Otherwise, everything else works the same.

#12 iamlost26

iamlost26
  • 563 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:24 AM

In my opinion, on Insane at the levels suggested on Winnie's guide, Nox's fortress (and just outside) are the only places where 1) You can get strong enough to get barely any experience while at the same time 2) The enemies can still kill your party. There's a couple of mesmerizers that can really mess everything up. This may not be true for your experience... I just don't think it's worth taking the risk, especially on insane.

That modified script looks smart, though. I'll probably try it out when I go through Normal again... I'm already on Ch 4 on insane on this playthrough and don't want to die! Also, the webpage I mention for the Remote Control has the option of not auto-fleeing, but the other two things definitely look like it would speed things up.

#13 Faval

Faval
  • 637 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:53 AM

That modified script looks smart, though. I'll probably try it out when I go through Normal again... I'm already on Ch 4 on insane on this playthrough and don't want to die! Also, the webpage I mention for the Remote Control has the option of not auto-fleeing, but the other two things definitely look like it would speed things up.

Chapter 4, so you already have velm right? Just overlevel and you'll be fine. Hmm yeah I guess the dialogue would help a bit :p

Edited by Faval, 03 February 2011 - 08:59 AM.

#14 iamlost26

iamlost26
  • 563 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:42 AM

Yeah, you're pretty much home free after you get Velm... until the final boss. I feel like if you're REALLY unlucky, the final boss can still take you out on insane no matter how well prepared you are for it.

#15 Faval

Faval
  • 637 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:56 AM

Yeah, you're pretty much home free after you get Velm... until the final boss. I feel like if you're REALLY unlucky, the final boss can still take you out on insane no matter how well prepared you are for it.

Hmmm yeah if you're unlucky it does happen. If he memorizes Velm, you're screwed. Luckily for me, my slowing pots actually worked so it wasn't bad...it just happened to take a shitload of time.

It sure as hell would suck if you went ALL the way to the final boss and get killed and start all over again.

Edited by Faval, 03 February 2011 - 11:58 AM.

#16 iamlost26

iamlost26
  • 563 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:42 PM

Hmmm yeah if you're unlucky it does happen. If he memorizes Velm, you're screwed. Luckily for me, my slowing pots actually worked so it wasn't bad...it just happened to take a shitload of time.

It sure as hell would suck if you went ALL the way to the final boss and get killed and start all over again.

Happened to me on insane of NQ1. I didn't try again for about 4-5 months, and then got through it the next time around.

#17 copley

copley
  • 141 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:05 PM

Awesome guide man!

#18 CJames

CJames
  • 388 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:39 PM

There is a new userscript for neoquest 2 which combines the above two trainer and mover... Personally i used the above trainer and mover about 1 year ago and got gold trophy for 3 accounts and all of them were not frozen.

Currently im trying this userscript: http://userscripts.o...ipts/show/92683

the mover for walking from the town to the hermit got error though.. but the rest is ok. so far im at pant devil (fifth act).

#19 iamlost26

iamlost26
  • 563 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:56 PM

Yeah, there are a couple of times when the preset user script got me errors or I had to create my own movement sequence because I wanted to skip an unnecessary spot, or because I wanted to level up in an area that the sequence skips over. It's not perfect but the scripts help a lot. If you notice, the script you linked to and the one I linked to are the same... for some reason, I haven't gotten the "trainer" part of the mover script to work properly. Maybe I actually know less about this than other people =P

#20 Eliam

Eliam
  • 621 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:05 PM

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. +++

#21 Roxi

Roxi
  • 499 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:06 PM

I cannot get the remote controller to move correctly. It starts out well, but then it seems to go a wrong direction and get stuck. I'm just using the preset directions. Am I doing something wrong or is it the program?

#22 Persuasion

Persuasion
  • 551 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:23 PM

Waoh, intese greesemonkey going on here xD So the remote control is the one that runs through the story?

#23 Roxi

Roxi
  • 499 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:33 PM

Supposedly yeah, it will do all the steps for you. Just won't work for me. Not to mention it screwed up my chrome and I had to reinstall the browser.

Edited by Roxi, 28 February 2011 - 06:34 PM.

#24 iamlost26

iamlost26
  • 563 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:44 PM

I cannot get the remote controller to move correctly. It starts out well, but then it seems to go a wrong direction and get stuck. I'm just using the preset directions. Am I doing something wrong or is it the program?

The Remote Controller should work perfectly, UNLESS it's one of those days when the Neopets server are acting up and sometimes loading a blank page. Those days can really screw things up. Sorry I didn't answer these questions earlier, I never saw them! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Remember to always start exactly where the pictures says you should start, and when you want to start the script, RELOAD THE PAGE WITHOUT HITTING F5. This means you should probably have a link to NQ2 bookmarked that you can just click whenever you want the script to start.

#25 rizler

rizler
  • 637 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 02:26 AM

i just found Mipsy and using the Auto leveler
when they fight mobs/enemies when its Mipsys turn to attack it doesnt attack it sits there refreshing the page
the only way t moves on is if i click Attack for Mipsy rohanes autoleveler is working fine :S

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users