26 replies to this topic

#1 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:58 PM

http://www.facebook....175355025843305

Bill Nye (“The Science Guy” of PBS-TV fame) visited the Creation Museum for...... 2 minutes this past week. He only stopped in front of the museum to take photos. In our photo attached, he is standing in the driveway in front of the museum. He did not go inside. Including the drive in and out the gate, he was on-site for a total of 122 seconds. He was last year’s “Humanist of the Year” – see my blog: <http://blogs.answers...e-humanist-guy/

I wonder if he'll now say he's visited the Creation Museum--I suppose he did--well sort of--well he saw the outside--for a few seconds anyway!

Posted Image

But wait, the comments are the best part!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:03 PM

Thank goodness he didn't stop and take a picture of a baseball stadium without going inside, then he'd just be unAmerican, which is worse, I think.

#3 Kido

Kido
  • 1046 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:17 PM

....not being american nor Christian I can say....I don't get it.....

What's the big deal and what's with all the comments saying "I'll pray for him"? o.0 He's a science guy and religion and science are on the opposite ends of the spectrum. If I were him I wouldn't really want to go in either o.0

Edited by Kuro, 06 February 2011 - 05:19 PM.

#4 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:21 PM

What's the big deal and what's with all the comments saying "I'll pray for him"? o.0 He's a science guy and religion and science are on the opposite ends of the spectrum. If I were him I wouldn't really want to go in either o.0

QFE, well said. I don't get it either.

#5 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:24 PM

I think the point is religious extremists can take a non-event and turn it into an attack against their every moral fiber. Their reaction is as if he used a font from a Catholic church to bathe his monkey balls.

#6 onlyme

onlyme
  • I hate everyone.

• 4319 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:28 PM

maybe he was NOT visiting the sexmuseum in amsterdam?

http://www.sexmuseum....nl/index2.html

#7 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:34 PM

Background: In America, certain religious groups frequently paint themselves as victims to garner sympathy and or to avoid criticism whenever someone disagrees with their views. You can tell from the knee-jerk defensive reactions to the picture when in reality, Bill Nye has done nothing at all. In case no one has heard of the Creationist Museum. A bunch of creationists got together and put together a museum full of scientifically inaccurate exhibits that support the creationist viewpoint like the Earth is 6,000 years old and man rode dinosaurs.

Spoiler

Too answer your question, they want to "pray for him" because scientific evidence such as million year old fossils(as well as liberal viewpoints) are put there by the devil (I am not trolling) and he because he has been led astray by Satan, they must pray for his damned soul.

#8 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:32 PM

Posted Image

They had Ewok action figures back then too? Awsome.

#9 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:18 AM

Religion bashing is so 2004

#10 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:27 AM

This is the mentality I wanted to highlight. Even when creationists make incendiary comments, everyone else is at fault.

Edited by Scot, 07 February 2011 - 12:30 AM.

#11 Vivendio

Vivendio
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:34 AM

He's a strange, strange person.

#12 MisterDerp

MisterDerp
  • 261 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:29 PM

They're flipping out, but do we even know the reason he took the pictures? :/ They're really jumping to conclusions there.

#13 sircomflix

sircomflix
  • 461 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:50 PM

They're really jumping to conclusions there.

I don't blame them, given the feasibility and rationale behind their beliefs Posted Image

Cheap shot aside, the comments made me facepalm and laugh though.

#14 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:56 PM

maybe he was NOT visiting the sexmuseum in amsterdam?

http://www.sexmuseum....nl/index2.html

Think the google art museum site has this museum?

#15 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 February 2011 - 06:32 PM

It is clear from the look on Bills face that he is mislead though, we need to pray for him

Scrolled back up, look at his face. Fucking lol

#16 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:00 PM

Thank goodness he didn't stop and take a picture of a baseball stadium without going inside, then he'd just be unAmerican, which is worse, I think.

Interesting fact: the guy wrote "Take me out to the ball game" hadn't been to a baseball game in his life...

#17 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:07 PM

That made me go :| for serious? jumping to conclusions, eh..

although i shouldn't be surprised by comments like these.. these are the type of people i'm surrounded by.
i have no problem with religion in itself, my views on it are a very private and personal issue, but stuff like this just drives me up the wall.

..and FUCK THOSE GUYS Bill Nye is a boss >:C

#18 Wil

Wil
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:20 PM

Why would anyone be ass hurt about Bill Nye not going in? I mean seriously, it's not like he shat an egg out with "CREATIONISM IS A JOKE" written all over it.
[/rant]

#19 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:12 AM

Topic seems to be interesting, but overly pointed and not particularly open for debate.

If anyone want to point this thread in a more focused direction, they're welcome to; otherwise I'm just going to move it over to General Chat.

#20 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:20 AM

You might just have to do that. As much as I'd like to hear the other side, I just don't see how anyone can defend this.

#21 MisterDerp

MisterDerp
  • 261 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:08 AM

Why would anyone be ass hurt about Bill Nye not going in? I mean seriously, it's not like he shat an egg out with "CREATIONISM IS A JOKE" written all over it.
[/rant]

They're probably hoping he'll end up like Roe from the Roe vs Wade case, seeing as Roe eventually turned around and became a pro-life activist.

I say, the day Bill Nye the Science Guy becomes a part of that Christian television network is the day I die.

Edited by PsychoSoldier, 10 February 2011 - 03:10 AM.

#22 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:02 PM

They can pray for whomever they want. The fact that he didn't go in was his unspoken comment on their 'scientific' museum. He doesn't have to say anything: the press and social networks are doing it for him.

This thread (insignificant as it is in the long-run) also contributes to the event. Bill Nye is a real guy, who probably thought it would be funny to show up at a creationist museum and take pictures.

#23 leurz

leurz
  • 146 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:38 PM

Who at the creationist museum gets finds reason to relentlessly survey their parking lot and take pictures of people who park there?

#24 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:04 PM

They can pray for whomever they want. The fact that he didn't go in was his unspoken comment on their 'scientific' museum. He doesn't have to say anything: the press and social networks are doing it for him.

This thread (insignificant as it is in the long-run) also contributes to the event. Bill Nye is a real guy, who probably thought it would be funny to show up at a creationist museum and take pictures.

They kind of said everything I needed to...

#25 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:49 PM

Religion doesn't deserve any protection from bashing. If you want to build a museum of idiocy and ignorance, then all the world is perfectly entitled to show up and make disgustedly bemused faces at it.

If you then want to go on and "call" the people that do on their actions, then you further deserve every single drop of derision that can be mustered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users