Quantcast

Photo

Is neopets dying? Or do you think its gaining in popularity?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 cpvr

cpvr
  • 206 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:54 AM

I recently saw this thread and it had me thinking - do you think Neopets as a whole is growing, or is it dying?

Here's what the topic starter on that thread said:

A conversation with my future mall leader left me wondering the above question. I was asking whether she wants me to join her mall, and she said she'd love it if I did, but: "The thing is, Neopets is dying sadly...so most people are getting less and less active, I don't want you to be disappointed with us if you join. Some of my mallers take like a week to upgrade the banner sigh..."

That statement made me think a bit. I don't know what I think about it. It does seem that as far as malls go, it's been harder and harder to find reliable ones as many mall members fail to keep their shops stocked due to inactivity. At the same time, I've noticed a big fall in shop sales over the years. But that could just be that malls are less profitable now that the Shop Wiz is so prominently linked to and that Neo is pretty dead at this time of year.

As far as the rest of Neo goes, it seems that people are still entering contests, buying NC items, etc.... but Neo has been around for a long time, and it's bound to become unprofitable and thus die someday. I don't like thinking about it, because we all love playing it so much and have grown attached to it and have put so much work into it.

But I do think that the initial popularity it enjoyed among the general population is more or less gone. For example, when I was in elementary school, everyone was making Neopets accounts. But it's probably never going to be a big fad like that again because it's not as "new" anymore. I don't know anybody IRL who still plays, but I used to know a lot.

Those are just a couple loosely formed thoughts in my head. I just wanted to see what others thought too, because the above statement was worrisome to me.

What has been your experience? Do you think that Neopets is on the decline? Are people getting less active? Are there less users signing up and playing? Have you noticed a change? And how do you feel about all of this? Any thoughts?

#2 BEEEEWRRYY

BEEEEWRRYY
  • 315 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:10 PM

Well I think neopets was pretty damn innovative in terms of a web browser game. Now that there are so many new advanced games, people's interests are more towards first player shooting games. I think when I first started years back, there use to be like 150k people online at a time. No there are sometimes barely 20k. So yeah, it is definitely on the decline and soon going to be a fairly Auto-Player type game.

#3 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:13 PM

http://www.alexa.com...nfo/neopets.com

The stats don't lie.

#4 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:13 PM

They need to shift from a virtual pet game to just throwing the pets into buildings to destroy the Meepit bases.

We all know how successful those games have been.

#5 Chloee

Chloee
  • 142 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:39 PM

I suppose it is...
But also there'll always be people who go on it (me), and those who go on every now and again. I only really go on though to talk to my neofriends. And sometimes to play games or make NP.

#6 iamlost26

iamlost26
  • 563 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:43 PM

I can tell neopets is dying because a) a lot fewer cheater forums exist and b) there's a lot less sponsor ads. I don't know where they went wrong, but i think it has something to do with technology advancing and neopets basically just staying the same.

#7 Chloee

Chloee
  • 142 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:47 PM

^Yep I agree ^

I think they need to have a lightbulb moment. A day where they all of a sudden come up with a brand new idea...like...something.

Yeah I have no imagination!

#8 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:48 PM

Well that's another person to add to my ignore list

#9 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:48 PM

You not like red Scot?

#10 rizler

rizler
  • 637 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:56 PM

i think its dying...
from when i used to play all boards usually were flying like how PC does now most barely move...
i made a topic on the shop ads chat and then 2 days later it only got pushed to the 2nd page...
before it wouldve been gone within an hour or so
i know alot of people who have quit or something and its less active

#11 Chloee

Chloee
  • 142 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:59 PM

Aww...don't you like my super font? :(

#12 Roxi

Roxi
  • 499 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:02 PM

It's just sad how inactive neopets is becoming. I mean, they were coming out with games and selling stuff in walmarts and whatnot, but now... nothing. No advertising = no new members.

#13 HeavenNEarth

HeavenNEarth
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:02 PM

I apologize for my audacity

#14 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:06 PM

You not like red Scot?

Scot's a bull.

#15 iceberg2477

iceberg2477
  • 353 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:56 PM

its popularity just might be on a steady decline and I agree with Roxi. There's just no advertising it seems. For a site that is connected with nickelodeon, I would expect to see a neopets commercial during every other commercial break. In all my years playing, I might have seen maybe 5 commercials for neopets and they were ads for the video game.. not for joining :whistling:

#16 Tsvete

Tsvete
  • 690 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:20 PM

Let's not forget that TNT treat the players like crap. Sometimes I have the feeling they think they're the Holy Inkvisition....
All the events and ads cannot help them keep their site active if they keep acting this way. With the "support" they have tis not a surprise ppl are quitting.

#17 esilim

esilim
  • 508 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:03 PM

Let's not forget that TNT treat the players like crap. Sometimes I have the feeling they think they're the Holy Inkvisition....
All the events and ads cannot help them keep their site active if they keep acting this way. With the "support" they have tis not a surprise ppl are quitting.

I think they are counting on keeping the "child" demographic, so it probably seems to us that it "dies" as we get older...

#18 cpvr

cpvr
  • 206 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:20 PM

its popularity just might be on a steady decline and I agree with Roxi. There's just no advertising it seems. For a site that is connected with nickelodeon, I would expect to see a neopets commercial during every other commercial break. In all my years playing, I might have seen maybe 5 commercials for neopets and they were ads for the video game.. not for joining :whistling:

Ya, perhaps, they don't want to do that? A lot of people already know about Neopets - but if they advertised more like Webkinz, then I'm sure their popularity could pick back up

#19 Persuasion

Persuasion
  • 551 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:24 PM

Dying IMO; less plots, less advertizments, more cheating, dumner TNT. I remember it when Adam and the other staff were in charge. Nickelodian has gone crazy with trying to earn money, NC items and what not... For example, when they ran that neopets plushie toy thing at mcdonalds, that was good advertizement... now... wtheck, I guess they're just draining whatever they can now

#20 Connery

Connery
  • 535 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:45 PM

Things have definitely been on the decline since Viacom bought Neopets: http://www.quantcast.com/neopets.com

I found a more in-depth graph from this site on a dude's user lookup, but now I can't find it. However, you can still see about a 3.5 year span on this graph and how much the site's traffic has declined.

#21 Kido

Kido
  • 1046 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:56 PM

I dunno.

To the older people, neo dies off but the people who leave seem to be constantly replaced by new kids who want to get into the scene.

To me the fact that neopets isn't advertising means that they feel that there's no need to since advertisement would waste money. Their reported revenue is like $30 million which I think is pretty good for a website (then again I don't know much about them) :S They've got the NC mall, premium accounts, their own advertisements for other websites and all that shit and even cheaters like us use/witness some of those things.

I also haven't noticed a decline of activity. Especially when you spend your time clicking "newest 20" on the tp. You'll noticed the "newest 20" changes after every click so there's still people there.

The fact that there's less plots and events and stuff might mean that TNT is shrinking, not neo itself.

Edited by Kuro, 25 February 2011 - 04:56 PM.

#22 cpvr

cpvr
  • 206 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:17 PM

Things have definitely been on the decline since Viacom bought Neopets: http://www.quantcast.com/neopets.com

I found a more in-depth graph from this site on a dude's user lookup, but now I can't find it. However, you can still see about a 3.5 year span on this graph and how much the site's traffic has declined.

If you can find it - please let us know.
I found this: http://www.complaint...ets-c76118.html

Hey, hate to say this but ever since Viacom took over neopets and Adam and Donna sold the site it has become completely down hill. You are not alone. Many premium members have been frozen unfairly. Want to know something else, since you are paying for premium you can take it to court to get your money back. Neopets has been sued for unfair freezings and premium members have gotton their money back. I won't name any names but some people have been unfairly frozen several times, and when TNT admits it was their mistake instead of clearing the unfair freezing from their records they keep it and use it against you if you "break" any other rules. I think that if they make a mistake they should clear your record. Neopets is giving a lot of unfair warnings/freezings and suspensions. The funny thing is the nOObs(as we call rule breakers) are not the ones that get frozen and the innocent do. There was even one case where a possible pedophile got frozen but he had to be reported several times before getting frozen. Istead of punishing him they punished the 12 year old child because they did not want neopets to look unsafe(takes away money)

The worst part about getting frozen is not losing your account and neopoints but losing the pets you worked so hard to achieve. I have been reading responses and I would like to respond to others as well. Starting with Steven who posted the first reply.

Steven - I hope you win your case, every since Adam sold Neopets to viacom, there have been a lot of unfair freezings. Why I got frozen because I was telling people not to get premium because of several people being unfairly frozen. Then this Brandon dude said admited I was frozen by him because by telling others not to get premium I was making them lose money.

Patrisha don't expect a response, once TNT realises they are in the wrong or if you ask for proof they ignore you.

I would like to end with one final word, yes getting a human response is better than nothing, but some of these members are so rude and incapable of doing their job properly that an auto response is better.

#23 Fresca

Fresca
  • 514 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:24 PM

In my opinion, the decline has a lot to do with the changes Viacom has made -- especially the implementation of NC. At first it wasn't too intrusive, but now they have NC parts of every site event and they're basically shoving it down our throats. Plus they have pretty horrific customer service.

#24 Ziz

Ziz
  • 936 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:37 PM

I also haven't noticed a decline of activity. Especially when you spend your time clicking "newest 20" on the tp. You'll noticed the "newest 20" changes after every click so there's still people there.

What if those "newest 20" are mostly from people ABing and just hoping to sell Np for "other"?
It could be me, but IMO the cheating community is growing at rates it never had before.

#25 Connery

Connery
  • 535 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:23 PM

If you can find it - please let us know.
I found this: http://www.complaint...ets-c76118.html

Whether you can go to court for an unfair freezing or not, I don't think I'd bother... I'd be pissed if I was paying for Premium and then unfairly got frozen, but for $69/year (and I guess the "$ value" of the account) probably isn't worth the amount of time you'd waste and money you'd spend on lawyer's fees.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users