Quantcast

Photo

Is neopets dying? Or do you think its gaining in popularity?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#26 Unseen

Unseen
  • Cultist of the Unseeing Eye

• 571 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:43 PM

I think they are counting on keeping the "child" demographic, so it probably seems to us that it "dies" as we get older...

I can quite possibly see this being the case.

#27 AyoForYayo

AyoForYayo
  • 503 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:26 AM

I think less and less people are playing neopets now.
A lot of people are quitting and not that many new people are coming.

#28 MisterDerp

MisterDerp
  • 261 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:14 PM

its popularity just might be on a steady decline and I agree with Roxi. There's just no advertising it seems. For a site that is connected with nickelodeon, I would expect to see a neopets commercial during every other commercial break. In all my years playing, I might have seen maybe 5 commercials for neopets and they were ads for the video game.. not for joining :whistling:

I saw some advertisements for the NC Mall a year or so ago. I don't really watch TV anymore so I don't know if they're still running them.

Edited by PsychoSoldier, 26 February 2011 - 01:15 PM.

#29 Persuasion

Persuasion
  • 551 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:55 PM

I saw some advertisements for the NC Mall a year or so ago. I don't really watch TV anymore so I don't know if they're still running them.

Yea, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't see anymore advertizements either :p They don't even have the NC cards at a lot of shops here :p

#30 Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:04 PM

The neoboards definitely seem less active than a few years ago when I used to play NP a lot more. I would say it's either getting smaller, or the demographic is shifting towards younger ages, leading to more "casuals" that play NP (lol)

#31 Pirates

Pirates
  • 302 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:26 PM

I saw some advertisements for neopets a few month ago, but it was just advertising the game room. -.- I guess those ads didn't really help because it didn't tell people a website to go to.

#32 MisterDerp

MisterDerp
  • 261 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:30 PM

I saw some advertisements for neopets a few month ago, but it was just advertising the game room. -.- I guess those ads didn't really help because it didn't tell people a website to go to.

Huh. I never expected Viacom to make such a stupid blunder.

#33 chaoprokia

chaoprokia
  • 558 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 01:25 AM

Well there now facebook to it. haha maybe there will be more sponsor link coming soon

#34 iamlost26

iamlost26
  • 563 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:06 AM

Well there now facebook to it. haha maybe there will be more sponsor link coming soon

I'm thinking the facebook aspect will bring in more middle-high schoolers, as it can't bring in more children, technically. It won't be catering to the older crowd, because few, if any, of them will be advertising their love of neopets =P

#35 Alexiel

Alexiel
  • Sieg Zeon!

• 2043 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:39 AM

In all honesty I think the site died when they "sold out" and Adam/Donna pretty much left completely.
At least, considering it was originally aimed for an older audience when it was first released.
As it becomes increasingly "kiddified", I believe those of us who originally played it continually lose interest to the point of quitting or periodically taking long breaks only to return when boredom sinks in.
Plots are about the only reason I still pop online every once in awhile.

Overall, it may keep going for quite some time. Perhaps the newer generation wont be around as long as some of us older folk, but there's always more children to take their place.
It really is a shame to see what it has become over the years though.
It used to have so much potential, was actually truly fun... but now it seems strictly about making money and only providing a half-assed product.
Would give anything for the old TnT, Adam & Donna included, to return and restore it back to the glory days of years 1-3, 4ish. With reasonable improvements, of course.

Ah well, there's always that nostalgia so I'll keep on playing at least.
Can always make my own NeoBeer & Magic Mushrooms at home anyways. :pirate1:

Edited by dawnknight, 27 February 2011 - 02:40 AM.

#36 sherm

sherm
  • 143 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:42 AM

Ah well, there's always that nostalgia so I'll keep on playing at least.

thats one reason why i got back to it. maybe in a couple of months/ years a lot more people might get back because of their fond memories :)

#37 cpvr

cpvr
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:33 PM

I'm thinking the facebook aspect will bring in more middle-high schoolers, as it can't bring in more children, technically. It won't be catering to the older crowd, because few, if any, of them will be advertising their love of neopets =P

Ya, I think it will as well - thanks to all the "likes" features and such.

#38 Naded

Naded
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:48 PM

Yeah the game seems like its dying, everyone is selling and no one is buying. All you see on the boards is selling threads.

#39 Butet

Butet
  • 213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:56 PM

If there is no AB, then neopets will dead forever...lol

#40 Connery

Connery
  • 535 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:17 PM

Things have definitely been on the decline since Viacom bought Neopets: http://www.quantcast.com/neopets.com

I found a more in-depth graph from this site on a dude's user lookup, but now I can't find it. However, you can still see about a 3.5 year span on this graph and how much the site's traffic has declined.

Here's the lookup I was looking for: http://www.neopets.c...nd=river_rat_28

He kind of correlates the rises and declines in traffic with all the plots and whatnot. Kinda interesting.

#41 Ziz

Ziz
  • 936 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:59 PM

If there is no AB, then neopets will dead forever...lol

Actually I think that more people ABing is a manifestation of how the game is dying...

When the game started, people were like: "I want to become a 1337 restocker"
Soon, people were like: "I wanna be rich, no matter how" and cheater communities begun growing.
And now, everytime I see more people like "fuck that stupid game, I only want free cash", and they only AB for selling the Np.
As time flows, more people sells, less people buys (I remember 1 million Np used to be worth about 7 peanuts, nowadays we can easily buy 1million Np for about 3 peanuts).

#42 cpvr

cpvr
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:24 PM

Here's the lookup I was looking for: http://www.neopets.c...nd=river_rat_28

He kind of correlates the rises and declines in traffic with all the plots and whatnot. Kinda interesting.

User Lookup: river_rat_28

This account has been disabled.

Well - do you guys think with the addition of Neopets Facebook - makes it easier for Neocodex members to promote this place?

#43 Blackout

Blackout
  • 411 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:59 PM

In my opinion in the last 3 years they have dropped VERY FAST. But since October it seems like they're gaining back popularity a little it will actually 30,000 Players now and almost 35,000.

#44 cpvr

cpvr
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:52 AM

In my opinion in the last 3 years they have dropped VERY FAST. But since October it seems like they're gaining back popularity a little it will actually 30,000 Players now and almost 35,000.

Why do you think they dropped so fast? And what new things do you think is helping bring their popularity back - in your opinion?

#45 iamlost26

iamlost26
  • 563 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:44 AM

Why do you think they dropped so fast? And what new things do you think is helping bring their popularity back - in your opinion?

I actually don't know why they got so big in the first place, actually. Sure the site was fun and revolutionary in its time, but they barely had any advertising, yet they still had a ton of people online each day. Of course, the addition of flash game ads and banner ads is probably taking its toll on the population.

#46 Persuasion

Persuasion
  • 551 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:14 AM

I actually don't know why they got so big in the first place, actually. Sure the site was fun and revolutionary in its time, but they barely had any advertising, yet they still had a ton of people online each day. Of course, the addition of flash game ads and banner ads is probably taking its toll on the population.

They DID advertize... LIke toys at Mcdonalds, I'd imagine that won a lot of kids over :p

It dropped so fast because TNT became dumb, and with the switch to Nicklodian, they just tried to drain the money. Lack of plots, over advertizement of NC, etc...

#47 12markkram34

12markkram34
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:23 AM

They all left to play WoW...

#48 Tsvete

Tsvete
  • 690 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:21 AM

It dropped so fast because TNT became dumb, and with the switch to Nicklodian, they just tried to drain the money. Lack of plots, over advertizement of NC, etc...

Well, there are not so much plots, but there is always an event running. Esp this year- TNT doesn't do much to get new players, but tries to keep the old ones active with that "visit every day for a bonus prize.." thing.

#49 rizler

rizler
  • 637 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:02 AM

They all left to play WoW...

actually i left WoW thenwent to neopets :p

but now ive left Neopets and come here ^^

i know quite alot of people who play WoW and neopets

#50 Chronus

Chronus
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:05 AM

lawl :) i left Neopets to play Runescape
Left runescape to Play WoW
Left WoW to play Neopets again

Now only play Runescape and Neopets..

ohh and as for my thoughts on if its dying or not? i think its one of those games that you get sick of, take a break from but ALWAYS end up returning to it... myself personally only really play it for the Trading post

Edited by Chronus, 05 March 2011 - 09:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users