Photo

New Rule :D

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:09 PM

We need a rule about no advertisements in the status update section...
I rarely see legit status updates .__.

#2 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:11 PM

Ya it's kinda annoying

But that's probably because I'm a non-neo player

#3 jaredennisclark

jaredennisclark
  • 838 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:12 PM

Barring them completely seems a little extreme.

I'm guessing that what pisses most people off is the same update being spammed once every 3 minutes.

#4 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:14 PM

At least, please limit the re-posting of advertisements for one person to 1 per day

#5 Puppetmaster

Puppetmaster
  • 905 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:24 PM

No kidding. As of right now, eight of the ten status updates are people announcing that they're either buying or selling something or other. Knock it off, people.

#6 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:27 PM

Hey, it's either that or they spam their own threads with bumps and shit just to get their advertisements at the top.

Really, I'd take the update spam over an entire list of Trading Post threads on the active topic list.

#7 Persuasion

Persuasion
  • 551 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:47 PM

At least, please limit the re-posting of advertisements for one person to 1 per day

I agree with this one :) But I don't think it's as much as a problem as an annoyance ...

#8 neobrah

neobrah
  • 534 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:02 PM

I would not be against a cool down period (maybe being able to status update every 30 mins to an hour?).

I admit I advertise, but I personally find it more effective than making a thread. I try to wait at least an hour, or let my status drop off the page before reposting.

I don't think buying and selling using status updates is such a bad thing -> I would argue my services and other peoples efforts have added value to others in increasing other user's neopets experience =p

Just my 2 cents, and I do respect all the good points brought up by everyone :)

#9 I33t

I33t
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:05 PM

me agrees with neobrah also, if its bothering you, its your fault. i personally just ignore it.

#10 iamlost26

iamlost26
  • 563 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:06 PM

Once a day is perfectly fine with me. It's really unnecessary to continually bump over and over again... but it's a self perpetuating cycle. If a bunch of people a bumping their own threads, then yours will end up at the bottom and no one will ever see it, forcing you to bump your own. I think implementing once a day is probably the best solution.

#11 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:09 PM

Once a day is perfectly fine with me. It's really unnecessary to continually bump over and over again... but it's a self perpetuating cycle. If a bunch of people a bumping their own threads, then yours will end up at the bottom and no one will ever see it, forcing you to bump your own. I think implementing once a day is probably the best solution.

If it's going to limit everyone to a single status update a day, then there'd be more commotion about the changes then there is about this problem.

Really, it's not affecting anyone and if you have that big of a peeve about it, just stalk peoples profiles for their "oh so important" status updates.

#12 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:18 PM

It does get annoying to see people constantly update their status with ads...if your looking for something go to the forum? otherwise limit it to what every couple of hours not every 20 mins. There is no rush that you can't wait

#13 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:22 PM

Maybe make people have to tag their comments as an advertisement (like a checkbox when posting) and then have a filter option for people who don't want to see them

#14 I33t

I33t
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:29 PM

dang thats a good idea. i vote for mr.hobos idea

#15 Kalla

Kalla
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:30 PM

You can't eliminate advertisements in updates completely, but I agree with a cool down period or setting a limit. But seriously man this isn't facebook.

#16 iamlost26

iamlost26
  • 563 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:42 PM

If it's going to limit everyone to a single status update a day, then there'd be more commotion about the changes then there is about this problem.

Really, it's not affecting anyone and if you have that big of a peeve about it, just stalk peoples profiles for their "oh so important" status updates.

Actually, I meant one advertisement per day. You can change your status as much as you want. It would have to be user/mod-reported, of course. Mr Hobo's idea is great, if that functionality is possible. :)

#17 leurz

leurz
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:44 PM

Are we upset about all the advertisement updates, or just one specific individual..?
I also agree with Hobo though, filters are neat.

#18 I33t

I33t
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:49 PM

i think juntsu has had a bad day, he was flaming me so i decided to strike back. anyways i think hes referring to me, mahayana, and neobrah, and other people.

#19 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:49 PM

Actually, I meant one advertisement per day. You can change your status as much as you want. It would have to be user/mod-reported, of course. Mr Hobo's idea is great, if that functionality is possible. :)

Frankly I think the Admins have much more to worry about than the functionality of the status updates and to moderate them.

Really, if people want to stalk people and their lives, go use Facebook.

#20 I33t

I33t
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:55 PM

i agree with above. the admins do have a lot more to worry about, like money stuff, competition with other sites.

#21 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:02 PM

i agree with above. the admins do have a lot more to worry about, like money stuff, competition with other sites.

I meant more like reality and not a silly children's game.

#22 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:08 PM

Another solution is to stop viewing the status updates of people choose to ignore. Currently blocking someone does not block their updates from showing up.

#23 5MGEDOHC

5MGEDOHC
  • 937 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:23 AM

Another solution is to stop viewing the status updates of people choose to ignore. Currently blocking someone does not block their updates from showing up.

THE GREAT SCOT HAS SPOKEN!

/thread

#24 Narna

Narna
  • 361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:00 AM

/thread open

So I post my sellings/buyings on there from time to time when I get active, so I'm guilty. But I must agree, it's bloody annoying seeing people spam their shit over and over when obviously no one is interested in it.

#25 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:05 AM

/thread open

So I post my sellings/buyings on there from time to time when I get active, so I'm guilty. But I must agree, it's bloody annoying seeing people spam their shit over and over when obviously no one is interested in it.

We have tons of guests and members who aren't active at all when it comes to posting, but may well be here to buy stuff instead, so there's always a chance that someone is interested

Albeit that doesn't justify spamming, I just wanted to pointed it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users