• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 September 2004 - 12:30 PM

Yeah, I want to be the official WinBloze guru.  I realised it after I posted the deal about Trev's prob (http://www.neocodex....topic=10279&hl=)

When I posted how to fix it completely from memory, I realised as much as I hate windows (I still do) I think I know an awful lot aobut it.  So I am creating this unofficial thread for people with ANY windows problems (I shud get tons of responses)  If I dont answer your post right away, then PM me or add me to MSN Messenger ([email protected]).  I'll try to help you best I can. :)

#2 Mumei

Mumei
  • 3545 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 12:40 PM

OK - I'll set a challange for you - it's something I don't know (and was asked about 3 weeks ago) is there a reg setting that hides the start button and the bar that goes along the bottom?

(I know there are quite a few to remove items from the start menu and fix it's settings etc... but I want to totally remove that section from the screen)

#3 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 September 2004 - 12:51 PM

OK - I'll set a challange for you - it's something I don't know (and was asked about 3 weeks ago) is there a reg setting that hides the start button and the bar that goes along the bottom?

(I know there are quite a few to remove items from the start menu and fix it's settings etc... but I want to totally remove that section from the screen)

OK there is no registry tweak that kills the taskbar, or can even hide the GUI (taskbar is a required task, otherwise u cripple ur system by removing it.  The best way to do it is to unlock the taskbar (rightclick the taskbar, then UNCHECK "LOck Taskbar" then grab the top of the bar and pull it down.  I'll keep looking thru my reg, and surfing the net to see if there is a way to remove the GUI permanantly tho :)

EDIT:  WHy would you wnat to remove it tho?

Edited by Cataliste, 18 September 2004 - 12:53 PM.

#4 Mumei

Mumei
  • 3545 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 12:59 PM

OK there is no registry tweak that kills the taskbar, or can even hide the GUI (taskbar is a required task, otherwise u cripple ur system by removing it.  The best way to do it is to unlock the taskbar (rightclick the taskbar, then UNCHECK "LOck Taskbar" then grab the top of the bar and pull it down.  I'll keep looking thru my reg, and surfing the net to see if there is a way to remove the GUI permanantly tho :)

EDIT:  WHy would you wnat to remove it tho?

yeah - that's pretty much what I thought, cheers - it had to be reg settings (it's part of an automated windows install) we have a code workaround but it wasn't pretty.  Thanks anyway.

#5 Le Chango

Le Chango
  • 1026 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 01:40 PM

o I have a problem, well acturrally 2 but one I really need fixed.

ok I get this error when I try to run some programs:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

can I fix this? one program example of this happening to is Liberty Basic v2.02.

#6 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 September 2004 - 01:49 PM

o I have a problem, well acturrally 2 but one I really need fixed.

ok I get this error when I try to run some programs:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

can I fix this? one program example of this happening to is Liberty Basic v2.02.

ok, the prob is ur running a too advanced OS. right click the file, goto compatibility mode, and chage the OS until it works, if it doesnt work, sorry.....

#7 Le Chango

Le Chango
  • 1026 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 04:15 PM

ok, the prob is ur running a too advanced OS. right click the file, goto compatibility mode, and chage the OS until it works, if it doesnt work, sorry.....

eh... I doesnt work. thanks for trying though! I never wouldve even thought of trying that.

#8 Funnlecake

Funnlecake
  • 2076 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 04:32 PM

I cant install norton cuase theres a syntax file missing but there are some kind of files from norton that wont let mcfee install what should I do?

#9 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 September 2004 - 05:06 PM

I cant install norton cuase theres a syntax file missing but there are some kind of files from norton that wont let mcfee install what should I do?

OK Macafee and norton are rivasls./....they "supposedly" wont work together, its I'mpossible to have both even installesd on the same computr :p   BUT, if you have a network and u REALLY want both, install o0ne on 1 computer, and the one on the other, then just scan both comps seperately, thats all I can really say about that. I dont really feel like such a guru anymore :p

#10 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 September 2004 - 05:11 PM

YOu should be able to completely remove all traces of either with add/remove program. However  You can't be using it at all. If that doesn't work there are always uninstallers with thr program that should do the job.

#11 Funnlecake

Funnlecake
  • 2076 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 05:22 PM

I unistalled norton cause a virus got to it and it doesnt works anymore then when I tryed to install it again it said there was a file missing then I tryed mcfee and it wont install so now I dont have any slight bit of vire protetion
any help on other free virus finders AND DELETS THEM

#12 Le Chango

Le Chango
  • 1026 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 06:45 PM

ok here is my second problem:

when I run photoshop for about 15minutes the tools on the toolbar stop working, when I try to use one it just gives me a regular cursor or a resize cursor, it doesnt give me the cursor of the tool and it doesnt work.

#13 Funnlecake

Funnlecake
  • 2076 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 06:52 PM

ow yeah that reminds me when I rum micromedia flash after 10 seconds it shuts off do you know y?

#14 113

• 1190 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 04:07 AM

yeah - that's pretty much what I thought, cheers - it had to be reg settings (it's part of an automated windows install) we have a code workaround but it wasn't pretty.  Thanks anyway.

mybe something called resource hacker will help you  :)

#15 Svenne

Svenne
  • 196 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 09:08 PM

This this registry setting
Don't know if its that you mean

#16 Freidmont

Freidmont
  • 448 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 03:37 AM

I've got one..in xp home, how do you bring back the panel that's on the left while using explorer? I seem to have gotten rid of it somehow =/

#17 Mumei

Mumei
  • 3545 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 08:12 AM

I've got one..in xp home, how do you bring back the panel that's on the left while using explorer? I seem to have gotten rid of it somehow =/

when you open an explorer window - goto Tools>Folder Options
then in the General tab there's a Tasks panel, the option you want set is "show common tasks in folders"

I think that'll bring them back O_o

#18 shabba

shabba

Posted 22 September 2004 - 09:02 AM

I have a problem I have a dual boot screen after I tryed installing xp on my ME computer it says hal.dll missing on the xp selection I want to get rid of xp altoghter

#19 Freidmont

Freidmont
  • 448 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 11:19 AM

when you open an explorer window - goto Tools>Folder Options
then in the General tab there's a Tasks panel, the option you want set is "show common tasks in folders"

I think that'll bring them back ^_^

Thanks..such an obvious setting, but apparently I overlooked it :dontgetit:

#20 xx_WLT_xx

xx_WLT_xx
  • 2471 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 12:19 AM

kk, I have a question. How do I remove the Start Button?

#21 Svenne

Svenne
  • 196 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 07:10 AM

kk, I have a question. How do I remove the Start Button?

Is this link usefull?
http://www.winguides...isplay.php/905/

#22 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 October 2004 - 09:29 PM

danm dude, that sux, glad u figured it out, since I abviously CENSORED XD

#23 TheWu

TheWu
  • 2243 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 09:35 PM

I got a question. For ANY INTERNET shortcuts I use, the link pops up but it always comes with a message si'milar to:

And you stil never replied to my application for NU :p
Note that the link does pop up, in contrast to what the message says.

#24 TheWu

TheWu
  • 2243 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 02:16 PM

Are you using IE?
Mozilla?
Firefox?
And does the page still display even though it gives you that?
Thanks
--Trevor

Yes, it does display even though I receive that message. And I just checked. It only happens when I open internet links with Mozilla Firefox. Doesn't happen with Internet Explorer.

#25 Icey Defeat

Icey Defeat
  • 8298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 October 2004 - 02:54 PM

For the longest ti'me ive had this error

any idea how to fix it? (attached picture)

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users