Photo

Kid Shows with Adult Jokes

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Fresca

Fresca
  • 514 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:49 AM

Ok so the thread about Nickelodeon bringing back '90s shows had me thinking about how a lot of the shows we loved as kids are still funny to us today (which is obviously why there's even a market to bring them back). I realized that a lot of kids' shows from the '90s had a lot of humor in them meant for adults who were watching the shows with their kids. For example, I'm watching Rocko's Modern Life on Netflix right now and there are a thousand things that were over my head when I watched it as a 6-year-old, but are totally inappropriate and hilarious now. Shows for kids now are really lacking in adult humor. When was the last time you heard anything funny on Dora the Explorer or iCarly? Never. As a result, babysitting sucks now because kids are watching all this boring bullshit.

So what are some of your favorite kids' shows that also had humor for adults, and why do you think TV has shifted away from this type of programming?

#2 Islane

Islane
  • 510 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:23 PM

I think you're not on the proper section, because it's not really about neopets...
Maybe you should have posted it on chii chat ?

#3 Fresca

Fresca
  • 514 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:27 PM

Ughhh. I meant to post this to General Entertainment. Can someone please move it?

#4 Vizkiu

Vizkiu
  • 501 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:32 PM

I think can't move it?
mm reply:
I have no children but really, the fun of kids today are not like children before....

Edited by Vizkiu, 17 March 2011 - 12:32 PM.

#5 Fresca

Fresca
  • 514 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:35 PM

I think can't move it?
mm reply:
I have no children but really, the fun of kids today are not like children before....

Right, I can't move it myself (to my knowledge, although I haven't started a ton of threads before so I'm not positive), so I have to wait for a mod to see this. :(

#6 Schroeder

Schroeder
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:41 PM

Phineas and Ferb has some adult humor =)

It's actually pretty funny lol

#7 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:45 PM

Spongebob definitely has some. And Fairly Oddparents :p I LOVE Fairly Oddparents!

I have to sympathize with the cartoonists. I'd probably be violently sick if I had to create some of those kids' shows. No wonder they put in adult humor, it makes their lives just a bit better :p And the adult audience definitely appreciates their input :p

#8 Persuasion

Persuasion
  • 551 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:23 PM

Spongebob definitely has some. And Fairly Oddparents :p I LOVE Fairly Oddparents!

I have to sympathize with the cartoonists. I'd probably be violently sick if I had to create some of those kids' shows. No wonder they put in adult humor, it makes their lives just a bit better :p And the adult audience definitely appreciates their input :p

Yup :) Plus, they're very tiny and kids won't get them either... It would suck to sit around and make all kid humur cartoons and plots, etc...

#9 Nunc

Nunc
  • 443 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:33 PM

Kids shows are for kids...

Don't watch them if you have any self respect.

I know a lot of adults watch shows like Spongebob and My Little Pony - it's quite silly though.

#10 Fresca

Fresca
  • 514 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:10 PM

I know a lot of adults watch shows like Spongebob and My Little Pony - it's quite silly though.

Some people are responsible parents and like to monitor what their children are watching and spend time with them watching kids shows since adult shows aren't always appropriate for children...

I like some background noise when I'm on the computer so I don't mind putting on Spongebob if there's nothing of interest on, but I'm with you in not getting people who watch shows like Max & Ruby or something for their own actual entertainment. Different tastes, I guess. I'm sure some people wouldn't understand my obsession with Mad Men, haha.

#11 GeorgeBright

GeorgeBright
  • 503 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:44 PM

I don't understand why a man would watch My Little Pony, but there are a few kids shows that have an obvious intentional appeal to older people.

#12 Nunc

Nunc
  • 443 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:53 PM

Well yeah. Even I occasionally see my cousin watching Spongebob and sit to listen. Just, watching too much is not very healthy.

#13 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:58 PM

what do you mean this type of humor isn't on tv anymore?.. it still is, just not on the show's you've mentioned. disney channel of course is trying to stay far away from that, however from what i've seen cartoon network does that occasionally!

#14 Fresca

Fresca
  • 514 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:58 PM

what do you mean this type of humor isn't on tv anymore?.. it still is, just not on the show's you've mentioned. disney channel of course is trying to stay far away from that, however from what i've seen cartoon network does that occasionally!

I mean comparatively, I don't think it's in as many shows as it used to be. In my opinion, the humor in CN shows isn't really so much for adults as it is for older kids.

#15 iamlost26

iamlost26
  • 563 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:08 PM

+1 for Fairly Oddparents. That show is smart, and even though the plots are simplistic and have the typical children's show message, the things Cosmo says can be funny to someone of any age :)

#16 Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde
  • 366 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:02 PM

I agree...I used to love Malcolm in the Middle as a kid, now all kids have in terms of sitcoms is trash like Hannah Montana :(

#17 Sage

Sage
  • 692 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:26 PM

Aw come on, nobody's mentioned Animaniacs yet?

They actually had a gag about fingering Prince once.

#18 Fresca

Fresca
  • 514 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:21 AM

Aw come on, nobody's mentioned Animaniacs yet?

They actually had a gag about fingering Prince once.

Hahaha Animaniacs was great. Pinky and the Brain was another good one like that.

To whoever said something about the Fairly Odd Parents a few posts up, I consider that to be one of the shows from my childhood since it came out when I was still watching Nickelodeon. It's on Netflix too! AND SO IS THE ANGRY BEAVERS! If I were a religious lady I'd be praising Instant Watch right about now.

#19 Mahas

Mahas

• 503 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:23 AM

OMG Pinky and the Brain is Epic!

#20 Sage

Sage
  • 692 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:38 AM

Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, Tiny Toon Adventures (though not quite as much), Ren and Stimpy, Rugrats on rare occasion... I miss Old Nickelodeon, before they decided that kids were more interested in watching other kids doing normal kid stuff than seeing talking animals be hilarious.

Invader Zim is still my favorite cartoon.

#21 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:46 AM

The old episodes of Spongebob Squarepants have a lot of satire in them. Nowadays, in the newer episodes, it's just a lot of tomfoolery.

#22 AyoForYayo

AyoForYayo
  • 503 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:46 AM

Hey arnold has a lottttttt
of adult humor in it.

#23 Pavement

Pavement
  • 429 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:06 AM

Animaniacs. Hands down best thing with Spielberg's name on it.

#24 Blackout

Blackout
  • 411 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:09 AM

Ok so the thread about Nickelodeon bringing back '90s shows had me thinking about how a lot of the shows we loved as kids are still funny to us today (which is obviously why there's even a market to bring them back). I realized that a lot of kids' shows from the '90s had a lot of humor in them meant for adults who were watching the shows with their kids. For example, I'm watching Rocko's Modern Life on Netflix right now and there are a thousand things that were over my head when I watched it as a 6-year-old, but are totally inappropriate and hilarious now. Shows for kids now are really lacking in adult humor. When was the last time you heard anything funny on Dora the Explorer or iCarly? Never. As a result, babysitting sucks now because kids are watching all this boring bullshit.

So what are some of your favorite kids' shows that also had humor for adults, and why do you think TV has shifted away from this type of programming?

Shows today have adult humor, but in the wrong way. Stuff like 'Shake it toots', 'I'm Pissed', etc is things I been hearing on these shows.

#25 jonahfinn

jonahfinn
  • 1006 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:17 AM

lol, not sure if any of you have seen this yet but I found it utterly hilarious.
It is a kid's show, but this was a special episode for adults only. All the innuendos were intended.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users