Quantcast

Photo

If you ruled the world, what would you do?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#26 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:09 AM

ah,the allegory of the cave, the world of ideas and forms. The classic. :)

yes that would really be interesting. He actually got these radical ideas of his from his mentor, Socrates. Nah, I think he isn't. He's merely trying to shoulder the burden (not to mention the brainwork) the others cannot fully understand. He is just actually critiquing Greece during that time. He's stand is primarily against democracy. He submits that Greece would crumble if she lets the uneducated, hungry and impoverished majority rule over the gifted and skilled minority. If you're interested, this stand of his is better explained in his Myth of the Metals which is also an allegory from the Republic. I would really love to discuss it if you're interested. :)

:D

Just one more:

I'm afraid the discussion would be one sided since I've never heard of those books. But feel free to share some interesting points...

#27 mjcm

mjcm
  • 122 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:54 AM

Just one more:

I'm afraid the discussion would be one sided since I've never heard of those books. But feel free to share some interesting points...

The myth of metals states that humanity is divided into three classes. They were all borne by the earth. The first class is imbued with copper and brass, the second with silver, and the third with gold. The copper and brass are only fitted for being ruled over, they are the laborers of the state. The ones with silver are the warriors and defenders of the state. The gold ones are the rulers - the philosopher kings. Simply put, everything is predestined from the moment a person is born. :) Contrary to popular belief, leaders are born, not made. :)

feel free to react to this. :)

and oh, just one more, i think one of the most controversial features of his utopian state is his "sex festivals" (YES, SEX FESTIVALS! lol) In here, the best warriors will be given the best women to have sex with so that the good genes will spread out. How do they choose which woman to get laid with? well, they draw lots. Plato says that at least in this way, there is nothing to blame but your fate. lol

this would really be cool and bizarre if it existed in the real world. lol :)

#28 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:45 PM

The myth of metals states that humanity is divided into three classes. They were all borne by the earth. The first class is imbued with copper and brass, the second with silver, and the third with gold. The copper and brass are only fitted for being ruled over, they are the laborers of the state. The ones with silver are the warriors and defenders of the state. The gold ones are the rulers - the philosopher kings. Simply put, everything is predestined from the moment a person is born. :) Contrary to popular belief, leaders are born, not made. :)

feel free to react to this. :)

and oh, just one more, i think one of the most controversial features of his utopian state is his "sex festivals" (YES, SEX FESTIVALS! lol) In here, the best warriors will be given the best women to have sex with so that the good genes will spread out. How do they choose which woman to get laid with? well, they draw lots. Plato says that at least in this way, there is nothing to blame but your fate. lol

this would really be cool and bizarre if it existed in the real world. lol :)

Like I said before his idea of a utopia is just too "bizarre" to take seriously. It sounds like a plot from one of those dystopic-future novels.

I disagree that leaders are born. The way a person is brought up has a great deal of impact on how they see things. Leaders, people who truely believed they could make a difference and did, like Che Guevara or the lesser known Ahmed Shah Masoud, they weren't born leaders. If they were brought up in a life of luxury I don't think they would've given two shits about making a difference.

And Japan has sex festivals by the way. Not exactly like that though :p

#29 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:35 AM

If I ruled the world I would just blow the whole thing up with everyone in it myself included. Only then no one would have to worry about anything anymore.

#30 1337hunt3r

1337hunt3r
  • 191 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:59 AM

I would make the official religion Scientology and proceed to rape every hot girl I can possibly find.

#31 Observ

Observ
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:08 AM

if I ruled the world I'd make Justin Bieber be a sacrifice to the Prince of Darkness. it would be televised, Ozzy would bite his head and drink his blood to help redeem this world of terrible music. Then I'd make Nasa build a Space elevator and we'd terraform Mars.

#32 mjcm

mjcm
  • 122 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:13 PM

if I ruled the world I'd make Justin Bieber be a sacrifice to the Prince of Darkness. it would be televised, Ozzy would bite his head and drink his blood to help redeem this world of terrible music. Then I'd make Nasa build a Space elevator and we'd terraform Mars.

loved it. lol

#33 AyoForYayo

AyoForYayo
  • 503 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:04 PM

Get a palace.
Have everything I could ever want in it.
Make everyone who lived within a 15 mile radius move and make a massive mote around it.

Have all my niggaz live with me and just be a straight up baller and do mad viva la bam shit

#34 MisterDerp

MisterDerp
  • 261 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:49 PM

I would make the official religion Scientology and proceed to rape every hot girl I can possibly find.

Could you kill David Miscavige first, pretty please? 83

#35 Rooshy

Rooshy
  • 254 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 04:56 PM

I'd probably sit and do nothing.
I know there's some really terrible things going on in the world, but I think me, being the person I am, would just end up making things worse.

#36 batryn

batryn
  • 220 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:28 PM

One language only, make currency the same.etc, and make everyone work a job for no pay, and you just distribute whatever people need to people.

#37 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 May 2011 - 11:56 PM

One language only

English?

#38 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:33 AM

if i ruled the world i think i would let my underlings handle everything while i sleep...

#39 rhexis07

rhexis07
  • 205 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:27 PM

I read this topic, but didn't really give it much thought, because there were just too much that I would like to change. Until recently, something struck me.

If I ruled the world, the first thing I would do is get rid of all weapons, stop all freaking wars. Then get rid of all religions. Then get rid of currencies. Give all the countries that have no food of water proper food and water.

I mean, we are all human. It's a shame some are born in poverty while some are born with a silver spoon. I understand that that is reality, but I find it really sad.

I am even tempted to get rid of technology, or at least stop it from progressing so fast.

I mean, the world is progressing at such a fast pace, that we're all trying to catch up to it and it gets really tiring. People are rushing for trains even though the next one is just 2 minutes away (at where I live, at least.), and just running around so to not waste that extra minute or 2.

And because of this frightening growing pace, we can barely get enough rest. We work from home, work at work, and lose all the time that we should spend with our families and friends. I hope a change comes soon.

#40 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:46 PM

I read this topic, but didn't really give it much thought, because there were just too much that I would like to change. Until recently, something struck me.

If I ruled the world, the first thing I would do is get rid of all weapons, stop all freaking wars. Then get rid of all religions. Then get rid of currencies. Give all the countries that have no food of water proper food and water.

I mean, we are all human. It's a shame some are born in poverty while some are born with a silver spoon. I understand that that is reality, but I find it really sad.

I am even tempted to get rid of technology, or at least stop it from progressing so fast.

I mean, the world is progressing at such a fast pace, that we're all trying to catch up to it and it gets really tiring. People are rushing for trains even though the next one is just 2 minutes away (at where I live, at least.), and just running around so to not waste that extra minute or 2.

And because of this frightening growing pace, we can barely get enough rest. We work from home, work at work, and lose all the time that we should spend with our families and friends. I hope a change comes soon.

Its either get on the train, or wake up 3 hours early and walk to work. I think i would prefer to take the train.

The frightening pace of technology growth actually saves you time. From a historical stand point, people work less now in the modern age than they did... from the time since agriculture was invented. How much time do you think it takes to plow a field by hand? How much time does it take to plow a field using a tractor?

If you get rid of currencies, how would people buy things? Would they barter? if this were the case then we would still have people born with a silver spoon in their mouth. If you were going from the standpoint of standardizing and regulating salary, then you would get that little problem where people did not feel inclined to do any work (see communism).

Stopping wars would be a given if you ruled the world, as there would be no reason for anyone to fight each other for resources or land seeing as they are all part of the same country.

I have no comment on religion

Edited by frostz, 30 May 2011 - 11:47 PM.

#41 rhexis07

rhexis07
  • 205 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:00 AM

Its either get on the train, or wake up 3 hours early and walk to work. I think i would prefer to take the train.

The frightening pace of technology growth actually saves you time. From a historical stand point, people work less now in the modern age than they did... from the time since agriculture was invented. How much time do you think it takes to plow a field by hand? How much time does it take to plow a field using a tractor?

If you get rid of currencies, how would people buy things? Would they barter? if this were the case then we would still have people born with a silver spoon in their mouth. If you were going from the standpoint of standardizing and regulating salary, then you would get that little problem where people did not feel inclined to do any work (see communism).

Stopping wars would be a given if you ruled the world, as there would be no reason for anyone to fight each other for resources or land seeing as they are all part of the same country.

I have no comment on religion

Did I ever mentioned about walking to work? What I meant was, the pace of which every thing is moving now means we can't even waste a minute to walk to a train, nor can we sit by and enjoy the a good breeze once in a while.

Technology meaning, Computer and Internet and everything else. While they have provided us convenience, they have made the quality of life a lot worse. Because of all these technology, people are bringing work home, and we are actually working longer hours than we should.

In the past, in my country at least, it would be possible for a family to have one working adult, and one family person, which in the case is usually the wife, who would spend time with children, take walks with them, etc. But now, because of technology, pace of growth, increasing cost, everything about life is now work, work and work.

What I meant by getting rid of currencies is that the entire world would just have one currency, be it UK Pounds, US Dollars, or whatever. Everyone should be equal, and the under developed countries should get help and get developed.

I can't believe I got pissed trying to explain all these.

At least if I ruled the world, I'd do a better job than you, who would let your underlings do all your job.

Edited by rhexis07, 31 May 2011 - 12:04 AM.

#42 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:23 AM

Did I ever mentioned about walking to work? What I meant was, the pace of which every thing is moving now means we can't even waste a minute to walk to a train, nor can we sit by and enjoy the a good breeze once in a while.

Technology meaning, Computer and Internet and everything else. While they have provided us convenience, they have made the quality of life a lot worse. Because of all these technology, people are bringing work home, and we are actually working longer hours than we should.

In the past, in my country at least, it would be possible for a family to have one working adult, and one family person, which in the case is usually the wife, who would spend time with children, take walks with them, etc. But now, because of technology, pace of growth, increasing cost, everything about life is now work, work and work.

What I meant by getting rid of currencies is that the entire world would just have one currency, be it UK Pounds, US Dollars, or whatever. Everyone should be equal, and the under developed countries should get help and get developed.

I can't believe I got pissed trying to explain all these.

At least if I ruled the world, I'd do a better job than you, who would let your underlings do all your job.

Everything about life is work. Lets not forget that before the invention of computers, the subsequent creation of more white collar jobs and people bringing work home, the majority of people were doing hard labor for the majority of the day in manufacturing plants or agriculture for minimum pay.

Technology is not a detriment in terms of working longer hours. People have always worked long hours, technology merely made the work of many people a whole lot easier. Better to work at home, than to be stuck at a factory screwing bottle caps.

I wouldn't attribute rate of growth and cost of living to technology. Its more likely that this is a byproduct of an ever increasing population with decreasing resources and demand for laborers. Many people are born without the means of production and end up going into the labor force because they have nothing to sell besides their labor power. Thus decreasing income and forcing longer work hours due to exploitation.

Yea you may very well do a better job at ruling the world than me, but all i really want out of it is the title, and having the luxury of not having to do anything.

#43 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:33 AM

If I ruled the world, I'd enslave everyone and make them play Neopets legit just to torture them. That is all.

#44 1337ccy

1337ccy
  • 103 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:52 AM

If i rule the world,I will merge all the countries and stop all the wars.

Make the world be one entity

#45 Cyo

Cyo
  • Pauly D

• 2561 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:19 AM

Statues of myself riding a lion in front of every home.
I am a good presidente.

#46 James

James
  • â™” King James â™”

• 1539 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:58 AM

I would have slaves, statues built of me, and the Powerpuff girls to fight crime. Oh Townsville.

#47 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:26 PM

I would try to improve education, sanitation, teach people to really care for themselves and those around them. I would strive to get the population passionate about improving society. No matter how hard I would try, there wouldn't be an improvement as the majority of people just don't care, can't see beyond themselves. I would still see crimes committed not out of desperation and self-preservation, but out of selfishness and malice. I would judge them by their malicious intents and start snipping away at humanity much like a gardener tending to a rose bush desperately trying to save what I could. As time went on, I would realize that that no matter how many stems I have trimmed, the blight remains and the buds eventually grow black upon maturity. The removal of one evil heart is, after all, an opportunity for another. Eventually, after my fervor, I would step back and see what I had done. Nothing would be left, but just above the root the root, myself. I would see that I have the blight, the disease, that my heart was black. I would see my own malice. With regret, out of principal alone, there would be nothing to do but to finish the work I had began.

And this is why idealists shouldn't rule the world. Our standards are much too high, but hey, we mean well.

#48 batryn

batryn
  • 220 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:35 PM

English?

It's my first language... so of course!

#49 mjcm

mjcm
  • 122 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:50 AM

One language only, make currency the same.etc, and make everyone work a job for no pay, and you just distribute whatever people need to people.

communism?

If i rule the world,I will merge all the countries and stop all the wars.

Make the world be one entity

so utopian. :)

#50 cornymikey

cornymikey
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:57 PM

Abolish lying or maybe one of those typical solutions: world peace, world hunger, etc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users