Photo

Help w "cleaning" comp..

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 tak1968

tak1968
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:51 AM

I have a basic Win 7 Home Premium desktop (yes ppl still use those!) 500GB Hard drive, only of which less than 40GB is being used.

Over the last 2 weeks or so, the net has become slower than crap. Ive tried to clean basic stuff under internet---> tools, i rt clicked on comp properties, done chkdsk, ran malwarebytes, etc.

im wondering if anyone uses a good cleaning software that will, for example, erase/clean all junk files, dup files, invalid extensions, etc. ive not used a program of that type on this specific comp in a yr and a half so im sure it needs it?

the more "straightfoward" it is, the better, im not computer illeterate, but like a easy clean interface :)

Would prefer some kind of "upgraded" program, torrenting something thats useful would be fine, as i can do that

Thanks for your suggestions.

PS i have also noticed my IE8 locks up so many times lately, is this because Microsoft is making it difficult for us so we upgrade to the IE9? I tried the beta of 9 and my comp was slower tha it is now. (I know that Microsoft wouldnt do anything intentional like that, but ya never know lol)

thanks!

#2 Salamanda

Salamanda
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:09 AM

Try CCleaner or maybe Advanced System Care? Both basic versions are free but -nudge nudge- . I just tried ASC and it cleaned some random shit up, my dad swears by it.

#3 rhexis07

rhexis07
  • 205 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:14 AM

Hmm. I could recommend Uniblue software. I use to use it quite a lot, but right now my whole computer is too messed up to even clean it up.

It's a good program. Has a software that cleans up all the possible junk files called Speed Up My PC. Also has Registry Booster as well as Driver Scanner.

You could also defragment your hard-disk. Not sure if it'll be of much help since you only have 40 gig of data, but it's worth the shot.

#4 Kway

Kway
  • Proud to be a Brony

• 1242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:44 AM

PS i have also noticed my IE8 locks up so many times lately, is this because Microsoft is making it difficult for us so we upgrade to the IE9? I tried the beta of 9 and my comp was slower tha it is now. (I know that Microsoft wouldnt do anything intentional like that, but ya never know lol)

Try Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Internet Explorer sucks (thank monopoly) so try IE9 or a real modern browser like the ones I listed above.

#5 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:21 PM

Try CCleaner or maybe Advanced System Care? Both basic versions are free but -nudge nudge- . I just tried ASC and it cleaned some random shit up, my dad swears by it.

I use that too, works great. You can also try Defraggler from the same peeps.

#6 Seven

Seven
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:30 AM

Revo Uninstaller is also really great for making sure all traces of programs are gone when they're uninstalled. Can't be too safe.

#7 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:43 AM

Honestly 40GB is not a lot to back up so I would just do a clean format. Love that new comp feeling!

#8 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:37 AM

Tune up Utilities 2011 is pretty good

#9 Blissey

Blissey
  • 581 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:16 PM

I use CCleaner, it works really well. Deletes all the junk files off of your PC.

#10 Sammiantha

Sammiantha
  • 498 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:33 PM

http://pcsupport.abo...anualtempxp.htm

Easy tutorial to delete temporary files.

#11 JayScorpio

JayScorpio
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:36 PM

I use CCleaner, and Glary Utilities is really great.

#12 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:36 AM

if your internet has becoming slow it probably doesn't have anything to do with needing to "clean" your computer. most likely you are either downloading or torrenting and thats taking up bandwidth.

#13 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:31 PM

Wrong.

It can actually cause the internet to run slower than normal...

when someone refers to their internet running slower than normal they are usually refering to their internet connection.. if its the computer that was slowing down in general then it wouldnt just be the internet...

#14 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:02 PM

It can also be a case of incorrect settings in the registry left behind by old programs that attempt to change the number of connections to a site, a case of excessive files in the temp internet/temp files causing more time to read/write the data.
Could be a caching issue which would be fixed by cleaning the cached files...
There are a number of legitimate reasons why cleaning the drive would speed up poor internet speeds.

Nevertheless i did not say that it couldn't be an issue with any of that , i said that it was most likely because of something sapping his bandwidth instead.

Regardless the reasons you bring up are legitimate as well, and the OP can try all of it if he wants to. My idea is a quick fix though and closing the browser, torrenting programs, streaming sites etc may very well fix the issue right then and there.

#15 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:56 PM

Soul Stealer.

In 99.999% of the cases, cleaning the hard drive will not fix internet speeds.

But cleaning the Hard Drive is always a good thing to do.

#16 tak1968

tak1968
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:59 PM

Hi :) i am a "she" not a "he" but thats ok :)

I am still having troubles w IE8. it locks up big time, and i tried 9, but its just.. bad. dont like the interface, tab placement, etc.. i suppose i am very particular w my browsers. i have tried ff on neo and other than blocking ads, its just "alright"

i downloaded CCleaner and Advanced system care, i believe i like the ASC better. it did find alot of crap the first time it ran, and i like the way it auto-updates

Trying these suggestions, i just suppose its my cable isp, who, whenever i call saying my internet is laggy, gets defensive and demands me connect straight to the cpu and not the router, but then that would prob knock off every wireless device using it (just a laptop and xbox)

other than surfing and playing online games on neo and a certain social site i cant mention, i dont really do much, i browse demonoid sometimes and when i dl from there i close everything. maybe its just me, but its so darn slow, and the locking of ie is quite annoying. perhaps i might try ff again

i do thank u for all your suggestions tho.. they were quite helpful :)

#17 tak1968

tak1968
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:30 PM

Posted Image

i dont know if these are good/bad lol
apparently it seems its good, but i think my isp paid them off. its not an A thats for sure

Edited by tak1968, 17 May 2011 - 05:31 PM.

#18 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:32 PM

I have a basic Win 7 Home Premium desktop (yes ppl still use those!) 500GB Hard drive, only of which less than 40GB is being used.

Over the last 2 weeks or so, the net has become slower than crap. Ive tried to clean basic stuff under internet---> tools, i rt clicked on comp properties, done chkdsk, ran malwarebytes, etc.

im wondering if anyone uses a good cleaning software that will, for example, erase/clean all junk files, dup files, invalid extensions, etc. ive not used a program of that type on this specific comp in a yr and a half so im sure it needs it?

the more "straightfoward" it is, the better, im not computer illeterate, but like a easy clean interface :)

Would prefer some kind of "upgraded" program, torrenting something thats useful would be fine, as i can do that

Thanks for your suggestions.

thanks!

These programs are what I use for my computer to keep it maintaining its freshness (:
Diskeeper
Glary Utilities
Revo Uninstaller
As for cleaning registry I can't really comment on that because Revo will usually take care of that for me...other then that I will sometimes go run regedit, and delete the ones I deem unused. Internet is slow? Maybe there was some interference?

#19 batryn

batryn
  • 220 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:45 PM

I think CCleaner is the best... although you can take the computer into some shops, I think staples, maybe best buy, and they have people that can speed it up for you. It's kind of expensive, but cheaper than buying the software yourself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users