Photo

Virus help needed for Windows Vista!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Mafioso

Mafioso
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:50 AM

So last night out of no where my computer just starts acting up. Every window closed at once and alerts left and right pop up saying I got a Trojan virus and now I cant get online from that computer or anything. Alerts saying its identity theft and what not. Anything I can do without a spy wear program and clean it all up? I am not too computer litterate especially when it comes to Windows. I been a Mac user most my life. Any help is appreciated!

#2 ilovepolkadots

ilovepolkadots
  • 724 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:58 AM

i would just reformat

#3 Mafioso

Mafioso
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:27 AM

Did a little reading on how to reformat. Will try and get that done later today. Thanks.

#4 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:36 AM

I would buy a small usb stick and put some free software like hijackthis and http://www.gmer.net/ and spyware search and destroy and remove the virus that way. Make sure you run it in safe mode by holding down f8 as you start up.

#5 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:37 AM

malwarebytes.

#6 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1542 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:05 AM

1) Backup
2) Make sure you have a valid Windows Install Disk
3) Get a guide on how to reformat properly
4) Go into your bios and make sure the boot priority is set to CD-ROM first
5) Reformat, when you pick your disk make sure you choose to reformat it completly and not install over top of it
6) ???
7) Profit

#7 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:29 AM

sounds like the same goddamn thing i got, and i got it from neopets. motherfs... but yeah. tips to follow that i was a dummy and didn't do: keep noscript and adblock up. even on neo. programs to get: malwarebytes, spybot, rootkitbuster, and some type of antispyware like avg. and you gotta reformat that shit because this virus won't let you do anything else. it will attach itself to important files so the only way to get rid of it easily is to reformat. hope that helps.

#8 Mafioso

Mafioso
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:46 AM

I was reading up how to reformat here.

Im gonna try and dig out the Install Disk later. Its my birthday tomorrow and kind of doing a weekend celebration thing and gotta deal with this crap.

#9 esilim

esilim
  • 508 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:24 PM

I thought Vista was a virus :)
are you a student? you can get great student deals from MS on Win 7

#10 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:32 PM

YOU GUYS SUCK

Run this please

http://www.bleepingc...to-use-combofix

Shoot everyone who told you to reformat

#11 ilovepolkadots

ilovepolkadots
  • 724 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:36 PM

YOU GUYS SUCK

Run this please

http://www.bleepingc...to-use-combofix

Shoot everyone who told you to reformat

it is good for your computer to reformat it regularly

#12 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:45 PM

it is good for your computer to reformat it regularly

I haven't reformatted in years. It still runs like a beast.

It doesn't -have- to be reformatted. And you lose a lot of stuff.

#13 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:56 PM

Only if you're not smart enough to be carrying around an external HD.

#14 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:30 PM

Only if you're not smart enough to be carrying around an external HD.

You still lose all settings/saved passwords

You lose your favorites, and anything thats not saved on the external Hd

Plus you have to reinstall all of the programs -again- with the same version so they can use the data on the external HD

#15 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:50 PM

you could try running rkill.exe which will shut down many of the most common viruses running on your computer enabling you to remove them properly with your anti virus software.

#16 Sage

Sage
  • 692 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:53 PM

Reformatting is a last resort, and that's that. Malwarebytes and, much though it sucks to pay for it, Webroot have been my saving graces. Got rid of that god-awful Windows Antivirus Pro malware with the combination, although it took me about six months to completely remove everything and recover.

#17 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:54 PM

i currently use avast antivirus myself. its pretty effective imo

#18 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:57 AM

Ah yeah, I've used combofix before. I keep forgetting the name though xD

#19 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:07 AM

You got it from neopets? every time i get on neo i see a notification that someones trying to get in my computer and i got 3 viruses stopped... all on the same page...

#20 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:02 AM

You got it from neopets? every time i get on neo i see a notification that someones trying to get in my computer and i got 3 viruses stopped... all on the same page...

ive never got anything bad from neopets..maybe you already have a virus on your computer to begin with?

#21 Aerozier

Aerozier
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:07 AM

When I get viruses, I just restart the computer into safe mode with networking and run Malwarebytes.

#22 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:35 AM

When I get viruses, I just restart the computer into safe mode with networking and run Malwarebytes.

there are some viruses that prevent you from restarting into safe mode as well as to prevent you from running antivirus software. thats when i use rkill

#23 jonahfinn

jonahfinn
  • 1006 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:35 PM

hrmm, so instead of making a new thread,
I decided to post here as it's also virus related

My netbook is currently infected with something, I can't use mozilla or run/install any programs as admin,
I was considering a clean format, though I wouldn't be able to boot via CD/DVD as it's a netbook and lacks a drive.

Any suggestions on how to format?
I was thinking of a clean reformat, through a USB boot (which I'm assuming you just change USB priority to first instead of CD/HDD).
Any input would be great =]

#24 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:44 PM

Use a usb drive to put combofix on it.

run it in safemode. If combofix does not run, rename combofix to something else, like 123.com or 123.exe and then run it again.

After running it in safemode, restart and run it again in normal mode. Then run Malwarebytes.

#25 kooshi

kooshi
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:09 PM

ive had so many viruses! XD
ok the best thing to do is either delete the registry keys (if u know what ur doing) or download malwarebytes and superantispyware trust me ive used these and they get rid of the virus really fast! if it doesnt let u access it because of the virus go into safe mode and rename malwarebytes to something else (it wouldnt let me access it since the virus blocked it and i read that u had to rename it and it worked!)
Hope this works :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users