• This topic is locked This topic is locked
132 replies to this topic

#26 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:38 AM

To be fair some of the new members we've had coming in recently have been complete retards.

This.

All that needs to be done is requiring people to spend one day reading these forums before being allowed to post/use programs. If someone refuses to spend time using search then they are lazy and deserve all the ridicule they get. If anything, you should punish people who provide answers to easy questions because they are enabling this type of behavior to continue. There has been a large increase in the amount of herping derping lately, I feel is due to the lack of staff presence and that should be addressed as well.

#27 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:42 AM

This.

All that needs to be done is requiring people to spend one day reading these forums before being allowed to post/use programs. If someone refuses to spend time using search then they are lazy and deserve all the ridicule they get. If anything, you should punish people who provide answers to easy questions because they are enabling this type of behavior to continue. There has been a large increase in the amount of herping derping lately, I feel is due to the lack of staff presence and that should be addressed as well.

There is at minimal, one member of the staff online at all times. I don't think that is a huge problem.

And, we are going to be working to make informational much more available. For instance, what advanced gives you, is not the easiest subject to find, and is also out of date. But that really doesn't matter at all. Each new member has a chance to pay us 5+ dollars. Where as you are not giving us any money at all. Why should we let you disrespect then needlessly. Just don't respond to them, and let the staff handle it.

#28 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:43 AM

I feel is due to the lack of staff presence and that should be addressed as well.

Just because you don't see what we do doesn't mean we aren't doing it. ;)

#29 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:44 AM

Not a bad idea. Like having the ToS/Rules etc on a disclaimer type of thing before you are allowed access to the full forum/programs (like with an accept/decline button). But then again, how many of you read the ToS/Disclaimers/Rules/EULA's on programs/forms etc before you click accept? I know i dont......

I would think more along the lines if a reading piece, and then they have to answer a short quiz after it. Or at the very least, a PM giving them a link to all of the common questions, and a warning if they post a question thats answered within it.

#30 Muffin

Muffin
  • 174 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:02 AM

I would think more along the lines if a reading piece, and then they have to answer a short quiz after it. Or at the very least, a PM giving them a link to all of the common questions, and a warning if they post a question thats answered within it.

This is what i was trying to get at, i'm just rubbish at try to explain it :p

#31 danielfromburn

danielfromburn
  • 492 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:08 AM

It honestly is quite a turn off to do a quiz. But yeah, wherever the rules are tried to be passed on i recommend them being as short as possible!

#32 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:34 AM

I agree that maybe neocodex gold could lead to trouble since we don't even have a neopoint generator :o

but in all honesty, I have no obligation to help anyone; I do it because that's the kind of person I am. But if someone is going to be retarded enough to piss me off (which takes a lot) I'm not going to help them. If they insist on my help, I might give them incomplete advice to brush them off. Not gonna lie. When I joined I didn't start begging for info; I googled and read many guides where I found Rikku's guide to Abrosia settings. If I can do it, anyone can.

I will not change my attitutde towards stupid people.

#33 Abradix

Abradix
  • 769 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:29 PM

We're raising a generation that requires themselves to be spoon-fed information.

This is the monster we've all created, the only weapon? Copious amounts of sarcasm. Come at me bro.

#34 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:55 PM

This isn't a new vs old thread. It's about neopets.

I also like how laser is the only oldie to actually post in this thread.

#35 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:51 PM

Where as you are not giving us any money at all. Why should we let you disrespect then needlessly. Just don't respond to them, and let the staff handle it.

Check my history and how many months I bought advanced.

Just because you don't see what we do doesn't mean we aren't doing it. ;)

Yes like how it took 3 weeks to deal with the status advertising issue. No disrespect, I think you are doing a great job as far as ability goes but you can't always be here and you need to acknowledge that.

We're raising a generation that requires themselves to be spoon-fed information.

This is the monster we've all created, the only weapon? Copious amounts of sarcasm. Come at me bro.

This. Honestly how many times does it take to explain to someone why they need to be advanced to change settings and why they can't post 500 times in one day and not get flamed.

When I joined I didn't start begging for info; I googled and read many guides where I found Rikku's guide to Abrosia settings. If I can do it, anyone can.

I will not change my attitutde towards stupid people.

Yeah this too. I did not even know autobuying existed until I joined this site. What I know I learned from reading and google.

I also like how laser is the only oldie to actually post in this thread.

This thread is obviously created in response to my signature and the atmosphere that it has fomented so I'll address it but I'd like more "oldies" who aren't staff to weigh in on this too.

#36 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:18 PM

Yes like how it took 3 weeks to deal with the status advertising issue. No disrespect, I think you are doing a great job as far as ability goes but you can't always be here and you need to acknowledge that.

That's an issue for the admins, not the moderators but yeah you're probably right that they aren't here enough to deal with that kind of thing because they've all been busy recently.

#37 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:20 PM

Check my history and how many months I bought advanced.

Are you buying it now though? What exactly do you do to support this site,that we should allow you to drive off new people?

You mean back whenever we had just one mod? Things have changed since then.

This. Honestly how many times does it take to explain to someone why they need to be advanced to change settings and why they can't post 500 times in one day and not get flamed.

Then don't explain it to them. At all. That is my job, or shadows job, or someone else's job. Not yours. You can be helpful, or you can just not post. Being mean is not acceptable. Giving them wrong information is not acceptable.

This thread is obviously created in response to my signature and the atmosphere that it has fomented so I'll address it but I'd like more "oldies" who aren't staff to weigh in on this too.

I don't think anyone has had a problem with your signature. Its more of a problem with how people are treating them in general, and giving them wrong information. There have been two incidents in the last week, were people told others that to get the Neopoint Generator, they have to buy advanced. Do you know who they bitch at whenever they get advanced and its not there? How would you like it if you went to Mcdonalds and payed 5 dollars but didn't get your food?

I don't care how many "oldies" post in this thread. This isn't a discussion of what should be done, this is a warning that its not going to continue to be tolerated. Not a single staff member supported what your view on things during the meeting.

It is very simple. You don't have to answer them at all. If you want to be nice. Answer them by all means. But if you don't want to deal with them, then just simply click another link and go somewhere else. One of the staff members, or someone nicer will answer their question. But Attacking them, or feeding them false information, will not be acceptable.

#38 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:31 PM

My favorite part is how January of 2010 is considered old.

Spoiler

Seems like most of this thread would be better situated in a PM instead of an announcement. meh.

#39 Madcowz

Madcowz
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:46 PM

WHAT'S THIS GUYS SIGNATURE? I can't see it because i don't have gold :crybaby:

#40 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:47 PM

Are you buying it now though? What exactly do you do to support this site,that we should allow you to drive off new people?

I answer questions that have never been asked before.

http://www.neocodex....ost__p__1429140
http://www.neocodex....ost__p__1454751

And I'm not driving anyone off, I'm teaching people to rely on themselves instead of others.

That spammer guy added another 100 posts to his count since yesterday when it was supposedly dealt with,

I don't think anyone has had a problem with your signature. Its more of a problem with how people are treating them in general, and giving them wrong information. There have been two incidents in the last week, were people told others that to get the Neopoint Generator, they have to buy advanced. Do you know who they bitch at whenever they get advanced and its not there? How would you like it if you went to Mcdonalds and payed 5 dollars but didn't get your food?

I agree this is a problem. And if money was not involved, this whole thing would have been hilarious.

Edited by Scot, 18 May 2011 - 04:47 PM.

#41 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:55 PM

I have just a couple things to say about this:

The spam rules for the forum: When you are reporting someone, don't just report their profile. At least try and come up with some instances where they have actually spammed (and it's quite obvious where they do -- posting 100+ times does not constitute spam because us older members know that can be done well :p).

It looks bad when I go up to them, say that members are complaining about their posts but I can't tell then exactly what they are bitching about because they are. This is a sign that you guys are taking things way too far, and upholding standards that even I am having trouble articulating to the member because I don't understand them myself (and I've been here for a long time!). Most of what people post is actually ok, and for some reason people get angry that someone is "posting too much". There is no such thing, we got along just fine in the past when people were regularly posting 40-50 times daily.

Settle down, report spam or other violations against the rules, don't be the vigilante police force (that can't actually do anything), and resist the urge to be a dick because you will be warned for flaming (if you could look at recent warns I have given out, you bet I am giving out warns for flaming).

And finally, I'm not gone anymore. As of May 10th or whatever, I was back and answering PMs. I am very much replying to PMs and stuff now. :p

I agree this is a problem. And if money was not involved, this whole thing would have been hilarious.

It's only a problem with money because the people that get misled think they got screwed by us. Partly it's their fault for believing nonsense (in which case we just refund them), but if we can help it, it would be nice to get rid of this kind of misinformation.

It is, in a large part, our fault that people are being misled. The forum is not structured in a good way to dissemination information to new members... all they see is this "forum" with no indication of what to do next. The next version of our site, which is being worked on, addresses this.

That spammer guy added another 100 posts to his count since yesterday when it was supposedly dealt with,

Because he is not breaking the rules. I did deal with him, and he is posting relatively normally in many topics. Sure a couple could be construed as spam, but you make it sound like posting 100 times is a sin or something. I've done it many times in the past, and so have others.

#42 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:00 PM

I think he should be reset back 100 posts because he was spamming before he got told by waser and decided to post like a normal person. That does not forgive the previous transgression. Imagine a judge saying "you stole $1000 but in light of your recent 4 hours of community service, no punishment will be issued."

#43 5MGEDOHC

5MGEDOHC
  • 937 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:05 PM

I think we can all take a page from the Beatles book.

#44 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:06 PM

I think he should be reset back 100 posts because he was spamming before he got told by waser and decided to post like a normal person. That does not forgive the previous transgression. Imagine a judge saying "you stole $1000 but in light of your recent 4 hours of community service, no punishment will be issued."

Not just Waser. Like I said, I've been talking to this person for two days now in a PM and cleared a lot up with them.

I agree that it doesn't forgive the previous transgression, if there is proven to be one (I can look through his posts and determine exactly how serious this is), but at the same time it's an issue with one person's post count. There are bigger issues to argue about I think, and if you want to argue this one, don't use flat arguments like the person has "posted too much", since there is no limit if all of the posts are fine. :p

#45 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:10 PM

Because he is not breaking the rules. I did deal with him, and he is posting relatively normally in many topics. Sure a couple could be construed as spam, but you make it sound like posting 100 times is a sin or something. I've done it many times in the past, and so have others.

I have no problem with people posting 100+ times per day but I can see where people are coming from when somebody makes close to 150 posts and the person with the next highest posts has only made like 1/3 of that in the same day. In those circumstances your intent is either spamming or you have some kind of multiple personality disorder and you've been conversing with yourself. :p

#46 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:11 PM

Haven't fully read the whole thing, but some older/retired members just seem kinda pissed off with the noob questions luullz

#47 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:17 PM

I have no problem with people posting 100+ times per day but I can see where people are coming from when somebody makes close to 150 posts and the person with the next highest posts has only made like 1/3 of that in the same day. In those circumstances your intent is either spamming or you have some kind of multiple personality disorder and you've been conversing with yourself. :p

You're right in that their intent is posting lots. Posting lots may not necessarily constitute spamming. We can't expect these users to have any other intent, given that we are telling them that they can post 500 times for programs of some sort. I was told by that "trouble" member (who wasn't that much trouble, if any), rather succinctly, that our policies encourage this sort of behaviour because that is what people will do.

With that said, if it becomes trouble, a more fundamental change in our advanced member policy is needed. We can't just keep raging at these new members who are only doing what they feel is in their best interest.

Haven't fully read the whole thing, but some older/retired members just seem kinda pissed off with the noob questions luullz

It's more than that, and you would do good for yourself to read the entire thing. :p

#48 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:27 PM

I feel i have to defend myself here, spamming according to the rules of this forum is

Spam
  • Irrelevant to the topic (or way the topic has deterred to), post would usually be very short, say less than 5 words, but not restricted to this amount.
you would be hard pressed to find more than maybe 4 of my posts that would break the rule described here. And if you are complaining about the quality of my posts then read what others before me have posted before you come to this conclusion

And yes i have asked maybe 3 noob questions, but those were like some of the first posts i made on this forum before i learned to navigate the site. You will find no evidence of me spamming noob questions for points

#49 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:32 PM

Not just Waser. Like I said, I've been talking to this person for two days now in a PM and cleared a lot up with them.

I agree that it doesn't forgive the previous transgression, if there is proven to be one (I can look through his posts and determine exactly how serious this is), but at the same time it's an issue with one person's post count. There are bigger issues to argue about I think, and if you want to argue this one, don't use flat arguments like the person has "posted too much", since there is no limit if all of the posts are fine. :p

Let's be clear here. It's not the just frequency of posts as much as the frequency and the content. Even when he got called out on his spamming yesterday, his only defense was repeating "other people are doing it too". A lot of members here are making an honest effort to do this despite not having anything to contribute. I see in the form of 4-5 posts a day, which I normally deem as spam but I'm willing to overlook because they are patient enough to do this over the course of a month. They could just as easily post 30 times or more in a day but don't to avoid stepping on any toes.

And yes i have asked maybe 3 noob questions, but those were like some of the first posts i made on this forum before i learned to navigate the site. You will find no evidence of me spamming noob questions for points

http://www.neocodex....ost__p__1455422
http://www.neocodex....ost__p__1455408
http://www.neocodex....ost__p__1455431
http://www.neocodex....ost__p__1455504
http://www.neocodex....ost__p__1455519
http://www.neocodex....ost__p__1455395
http://www.neocodex....ost__p__1455390
http://www.neocodex....ost__p__1455402
http://www.neocodex....ost__p__1455403
http://www.neocodex....ost__p__1455412
http://www.neocodex....ost__p__1455415

Edited by Scot, 18 May 2011 - 05:33 PM.

#50 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:36 PM

Let's be clear here. It's not the just frequency of posts as much as the frequency and the content. Even when he got called out on his spamming yesterday, his only defense was repeating "other people are doing it too". A lot of members here are making an honest effort to do this despite not having anything to contribute. I see in the form of 4-5 posts a day, which I normally deem as spam but I'm willing to overlook because they are patient enough to do this over the course of a month. They could just as easily post 30 times or more in a day but don't to avoid stepping on any toes.

Let us also be clear that the only part of the site with rules on quality of post is the debate section of the forum. However regardless my post is still in line with the rest of the posts on the thread.

For example lets say this post of mine

http://www.neocodex....s/page__st__250

I agree this post is weak but the content is comparable to 90% of the posts back 2 pages as far as i am bothering to check right now, since there was no actual debate going on, you dont actually expect me to post an analysis of some sort in answer to no one do u?

edit in response to you redit
im not gona go through all those links so i clicked on a random one

http://www.neocodex....19#entry1455519

A statement that answers the topic in the general entertainment section is a noob question? proof that you dont even read my posts or the topic

Edited by frostz, 18 May 2011 - 05:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users