Photo

Advanced member status

• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#1 huevoquilmes

huevoquilmes
  • 245 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:29 AM

I was thinking today about the amount of spam posts and repleis that there are in the forum, due to the goal to reach 500post. I think that there should be a more balanced way to determine the "advanced status", because this system generates spam, and anyone, no matter what, can get to 500post.
I was thinking, since there isnt a use for the rep, maybe this can change, and need for advanced status, like 300posts, and 30rep, and maybe a good post that helps the comunnity. I dont know, just my two cents :)

*Sorry if i have many spelling mistakes :)

#2 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:41 AM

I was thinking today about the amount of spam posts and repleis that there are in the forum, due to the goal to reach 500post. I think that there should be a more balanced way to determine the "advanced status", because this system generates spam, and anyone, no matter what, can get to 500post.
I was thinking, since there isnt a use for the rep, maybe this can change, and need for advanced status, like 300posts, and 30rep, and maybe a good post that helps the comunnity. I dont know, just my two cents :)

*Sorry if i have many spelling mistakes :)

I don't think we want to have to start policing every rep point which people give to each other, that would have a huge work load.

#3 niccolopogi

niccolopogi
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:43 AM

I actually agree on huevoquilmes's idea. Lessening the amount of posts needed to reach Advanced Status and needing a certain amount of reputation points seems like a good idea. That would lessen the amount of pointless spam posts *cough danielfromburn cough* needed to reach the number of posts, and the reputation needed would be good so that old members have the power to promote a new member to advanced if they like the new member and think that they are contributing to the forum.

But still, the admin have the last word on these propositions Posted Image

#4 huevoquilmes

huevoquilmes
  • 245 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:44 AM

well, it was just an idea.. and the helpfull posts also... I personally think its better than someone getting to 500posts with posts like "Do you like dogs?" and "What do you think of pamela anderson's right boob" :p

#5 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:47 AM

How about a lower post requirement like 300, but your postcount decays by 1 post a day? :devil:

#6 huevoquilmes

huevoquilmes
  • 245 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:50 AM

another good idea, but requires some old members of the forum to help out, its have requirements, and once you get them (like 300posts, 30 rep and 2 helfull posts), you can apply.. and they see what you did, and tell you you are in, or to work a bit harder on something specific... I think something like this would make a more helpfull, and less spammy community

#7 niccolopogi

niccolopogi
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:52 AM

How about a lower post requirement like 300, but your postcount decays by 1 post a day? :devil:

That would be another good idea but it might be brutal for the Advanced Members who decide to quit neo then return a year or so later and find their Advanced Status down the drain. Might be impossible to happen for the really old members, but who knows Posted Image

#8 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:58 AM

I still don't like the rep thing. I've helped out the people many many times and my rep dosen't reflect that.

#9 ZKK

ZKK
  • 331 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:06 AM

I can't stand rep systems where people are constantly asking for "+rep if I helped..." or, "will + rep if you do my... (homework)"

#10 huevoquilmes

huevoquilmes
  • 245 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:11 AM

I still don't like the rep thing. I've helped out the people many many times and my rep dosen't reflect that.

yea, i understand you.. but still, i think that someone that gets 500post posting crap all day long,and someone that goes around trying to do something helpull for other shouldnt have the same benefits :p i know its a lot of hard work, but maybe they could find a point in the middle

#11 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:14 AM

Posted Image

#12 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:15 AM

I think a better idea may be a weekly/monthly competition of sorts where people can nominate things that members have done which have been particularly useful to other users, such as making a good guide etc. We could then reward the best efforts with rewards like 50 added on their post count or something to create alternative ways to get closer to Advanced other than making lots of posts.

#13 huevoquilmes

huevoquilmes
  • 245 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:15 AM

yea thats true scot...like waser said,its going to need a lot of policing from their part ..so that doesnt happen

Edited by huevoquilmes, 22 May 2011 - 07:16 AM.

#14 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:27 AM

You can get 40 rep from just posting a LC or MP answer, so I really don't see a point.
All I see is people repping each other and still spamming to 300.

#15 jungle

jungle
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:34 AM

I don't like the rep portion. I'm by far not cool enough to be rep'd. So i'll never be advanced status. (without paying) Posted Image

#16 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:43 AM

I like this idea, post less but must remain active to receive benefits. Thats what all this is about right? To maintain an active board without "spam" and to keep people from leaving after hitting 500. Since everyone seems to be mainly concerned about that and I should know.

Can tweak the numbers between 1-5 posts a day.

And so what if older members come back from a 5 year hiatus to find that they have their post count below 300?. If they havn't been on they havn't been "contributing" "now" even if they had been "contributing" in the past.

+rep is lol, i wonder how much +rep the people who were ragging on me got while that was still going on.

I think a better idea may be a weekly/monthly competition of sorts where people can nominate things that members have done which have been particularly useful to other users, such as making a good guide etc. We could then reward the best efforts with rewards like 50 added on their post count or something to create alternative ways to get closer to Advanced other than making lots of posts.

Why not instead of having a competition, we have an option to "report" a post as helpful. This way the mods can save these posts and sort through them at the end of the week to decide how much post count to give out. Whether its making a guide or answering a question, or coming up with a good debate argument

Edited by frostz, 22 May 2011 - 07:47 AM.

#17 Ziz

Ziz
  • 936 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:45 AM

And so what if older members come back from a 5 year hiatus to find that they have their post count below 300?. If they havn't been on they havn't been "contributing" "now" even if they had been "contributing" in the past.

Post count would only be decreased during the days that you use the program.
And after a lot of posts (maybe 1000) and time on codex (1 year?), your post count wouldn't get decreased at all.

#18 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:48 AM

Post count would only be decreased during the days that you use the program.
And after a lot of posts (maybe 1000) and time on codex (1 year?), your post count wouldn't get decreased at all.

post count should be decreased every day whether or not you use the program period for this idea to work. The idea is to keep people active right?

Helpful post reporting will help "reduce spam" while people are going up to 300, if they get awarded counts at the end of the week, amount depending on how much the mods think the post is worth. But you can't expect people to make guides. Theres already a guide for everything, helpful would have to be really general whether its answering a question in detail, or helping someone out with something.

Edited by frostz, 22 May 2011 - 07:53 AM.

#19 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:55 AM

All the users that I think are helpful already have 500 posts lulz.
Except for sLAUGHTER. But he's a programmer.

If you actually help, 500 is easyy.

Helpful post reporting will help "reduce spam" while people are going up to 300, if they get awarded counts at the end of the week, amount depending on how much the mods think the post is worth. But you can't expect people to make guides. Theres already a guide for everything, helpful would have to be really general whether its answering a question in detail, or helping someone out with something.

All that does is create more hassle for the mods/admins.
It should be a system that works and can run on its own.

#20 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:00 AM

All that does is create more hassle for the mods/admins.
It should be a system that works and can run on its own.

I have an easy solution make it so that when you rep someone , they get extra post count then. Like 5-10 or something, but then make a rule against rep trading, or repping for no reason, and since everyone can see reps on the bottom of posts now, it would be easy to report rep abuse by simply clicking the report post button.

Also make the +rep button come with a pop up window that makes you type in why you repped the post

completely non hassle, and works and runs on its own. Provides incentive for people trying to reach 300, to post useful things, good arguments, guides, answer peoples questions, etc.

Actually instead of making it a flat 5-10, include along with the popup where you type in the reason for why you repped, an option to award the poster a certain number of points between 1-10based upon how much you think the post deserves

Edited by frostz, 22 May 2011 - 08:08 AM.

#21 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:06 AM

It would provide greater incentive for people to contribute to the forum in other ways than posting though.

#22 huevoquilmes

huevoquilmes
  • 245 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:17 AM

It would provide greater incentive for people to contribute to the forum in other ways than posting though.

thats where i wanted to get :p but i dont know, i just threw in a couple of ideas...:)

#23 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:21 AM

I can't stand rep systems where people are constantly asking for "+rep if I helped..." or, "will + rep if you do my... (homework)"

Do something like what i suggested in which +rep gives more post count and make it so that its against the forum rules to ask for +rep.

#24 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:23 AM

Do something like what i suggested in which +rep gives more post count and make it so that its against the forum rules to ask for +rep.

Do you know how much work it would take to police that? That won't happen.

#25 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:26 AM

Do you know how much work it would take to police that? That won't happen.

well the way i suggested it would make it so that there wouldn't need to be much policing, at least after everyone figures the system out.

Like i said above in post number 20, make it so that the +repper would have to type their reasoning for +rep, as well as to allow them to choose the amount of rep to dish out between the numbers of 1-10 or less.

Since people do see if a post is repped, they would be able to report posts that shouldn't be repped to begin with themselves. The mods would only have to police the reported posts, or what they see themselves while browsing the forum. We wouldn't have a problem with people making many accounts to rep themselves either cause thats against the rules anyway, and i assume you track multi accounts through IP

Make the punishment for meaningless repping really high and the problem should go away on its own within a week or so after the system is implemented.

Edited by frostz, 22 May 2011 - 08:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users