Photo

Morphing BD Pet Species

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 niccolopogi

niccolopogi
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:56 AM

With the introduction of the five new anagram swords from the Hidden Tower, I was thinking, should I keep my BD pet a Pteri or should I morph it to a Shoyru. I would list the pros and cons that I find on both species as follows (may or may not be BD related :p):

PTERI
Pros:
  • 40% Air resistance
  • 3 Air, 3 Physical Icon species ability (good for stacking with PCC, Sword of Ari)
  • Golden Pteri RE
Cons:
  • Air resistance doesn't seem to be as useful as now with the introduction of the new swords
  • Sword of Thilg and Sword of Reif are now common weapons in the BD
  • Hard to create a good customization

SHOYRU

Pros:
  • 20% Fire resistance
  • 3 Fire, 3 Light Icon species ability (good for stacking with Sword of Thilg, Sword of Reif)
  • Easier to customize than a Pteri
Cons:
  • Fire resistance isn't really spectacular but reduced damage is reduced damage
  • Species ability icons are kind of easy to block, unless stacked with Sword of Thilg, Sword of Reif, etc.
  • I dont' really like the converted design of Shoyrus :p
Scorchios have awesome resistances but the lack of a 6 icon species ability doesn't appeal to me. Thoughts?

NOTE: This isn't a guide, I am merely asking for your opinions if I should change my pet's species or not. Feel free to use this as a guide if you want to, but this isn't in-depth.

Edited by niccolopogi, 24 May 2011 - 10:17 AM.

#2 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:00 AM

You should add what species have species only weapons that are effective.

Good job!

#3 niccolopogi

niccolopogi
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:05 AM

You should add what species have species only weapons that are effective.

Good job!

Actually I put it there that the 6 icon species ability of Pteris stacks well with PCC and Sword of Ari, while Shoyrus stack well with Sword of Reif and Sword of Thilg.

I have no idea yet on high level battling, only up to Hidden Tower battling :p

Oops I misunderstood your statement. Species weapons aren't usually used unless they are cheap healers or freezers (i.e. Entangling Lenny Lasso, Kacheek Life Potion). They aren't usually used at Hidden Tower level battling since at that level, species with resistances are usually utilized since there are non-species only equipment that could do the same effect as those of the species weapons :)

Edited by niccolopogi, 24 May 2011 - 10:30 AM.

#4 Derriere

Derriere
  • The Black Guy

• 686 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:06 AM

Is there a pro to having a Kacheek BD pet besides the species healer?

#5 niccolopogi

niccolopogi
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:13 AM

Is there a pro to having a Kacheek BD pet besides the species healer?

Kacheeks species ability is actually alright (3 Earth, 3 Light). Good for stacking with Sword of Thare, Sword of Thilg, and if you have one, Seasonal Attack Pea :p The lack of a resistance is kind of a downer for me, although the cheap species healer is quite good. However, with Hidden Tower battling, full healers are already a must and the KLP could be a risky healer since it requires you to be at least at 34% of your HP to fully heal iirc.

#6 Derriere

Derriere
  • The Black Guy

• 686 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:16 AM

Posted Image 33% of Max HP when you have 33% or less of your Max HP
Posted Image Full when you're over 33%

^ from idb.
would it be fine for the lower leagues like L5-L7 ?

#7 niccolopogi

niccolopogi
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:24 AM

Posted Image 33% of Max HP when you have 33% or less of your Max HP
Posted Image Full when you're over 33%

^ from idb.
would it be fine for the lower leagues like L5-L7 ?

KLP is fine at that level IMO. Note that I am not exactly an expert in the battledome and this is purely my opinion. Good luck :)

Oh, and if you want to check out the recommended league stats go to this petpage: http://www.neopets.com/~yontath

#8 Derriere

Derriere
  • The Black Guy

• 686 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:37 AM

Thanks I'll be trying out L5. I'll mostly be doing 1P anyways, till I get rich enough. LOL.

#9 themetagame

themetagame
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:57 PM

I vote stick with Pteri... is it build like a tank, or what? It's just that Air is the most expensive icon type to full block, whereas respectable fire defense is found on both sink/burrow (where air is only one), quench, PCH (5 icons), FTab (5 icons), and Clawed Shield (60-80% ref). The options for blocking Air are MUCH harder to comeby... a Shoyru with a RoTL and a RoW/TRing on it though would beat all other options.

#10 thorgal

thorgal
  • 421 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:48 PM

You can't try to block all icons, even if you could you can only use 2 waepons, the pteri has 40% resistance, it's a bonus but that doesn't mean you're safe far mass light attakcs.
I would go for the pteri and use a lot of dual duties to try to block most icon types

#11 Pavement

Pavement
  • 429 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:47 PM

L5, the only option is Pteri.

The Scorchio's lack of a 6 icon attack doesn't matter because its resistances more than justify their crap species attack (you're not even guaranteed to hit all 6 icons anyway).

Kacheeks are junk for 2P. With no resistances, you will will quickly fall behind in a battle. Just stick with a Pteri or Scorchio.

Shoyru's would be good if not for the existence of Scorchios.

#12 niccolopogi

niccolopogi
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:27 AM

I vote stick with Pteri... is it build like a tank, or what? It's just that Air is the most expensive icon type to full block, whereas respectable fire defense is found on both sink/burrow (where air is only one), quench, PCH (5 icons), FTab (5 icons), and Clawed Shield (60-80% ref). The options for blocking Air are MUCH harder to comeby... a Shoyru with a RoTL and a RoW/TRing on it though would beat all other options.

My pet isn't a tank (gladly). Mass light and fire from the new swords really break the common tanking methods used in 2P. I'm not yet at RoTL and RoW/TRing level, so thanks for pointing that out.

You can't try to block all icons, even if you could you can only use 2 waepons, the pteri has 40% resistance, it's a bonus but that doesn't mean you're safe far mass light attakcs.
I would go for the pteri and use a lot of dual duties to try to block most icon types

I think I'll take JBR against light, and HCC against dark. The air resistance from the pteri seems good enough against mass air attacks. FTab and GShield doesn't seem to be that good anymore against the new swords.

L5, the only option is Pteri.

The Scorchio's lack of a 6 icon attack doesn't matter because its resistances more than justify their crap species attack (you're not even guaranteed to hit all 6 icons anyway).

Kacheeks are junk for 2P. With no resistances, you will will quickly fall behind in a battle. Just stick with a Pteri or Scorchio.

Shoyru's would be good if not for the existence of Scorchios.

I find the 6 icon species attack quite important. The 3 element icon could be very well used to bypass some of the defense of the shields to allow more icons of your weapon to pass through.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm kind of leaning towards keeping it a Pteri. Any more ideas?

#13 Pavement

Pavement
  • 429 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:28 AM

I find the 6 icon species attack quite important. The 3 element icon could be very well used to bypass some of the defense of the shields to allow more icons of your weapon to pass through.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm kind of leaning towards keeping it a Pteri. Any more ideas?

It really isn't and it's pretty simple why: the potential for an extra 2 icons (over the normal 4) is only accounted for if you are actually using the species attack. However, resistances are always active. It's like using 3 weapons when your opponent is only using 2. This is why Scorchios are so prevalent in the BD.

Anyway, you are right to choose Pteri for that league, at least until the meta-game changes from the new swords.

#14 1337ccy

1337ccy
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:33 AM

The 40% Air resistance of pteri is still useful i rhink

a lot of people is still using PCC pr TFB or sword of ari

and even in higher league,there are g-sword doing great amount of air icons

I vote for pteri

Edited by 1337ccy, 28 May 2011 - 12:34 AM.

#15 marianokt

marianokt
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 04:35 PM

Kaus have some pretty resistances, but they're ugly.

#16 koobe

koobe
  • 591 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:16 PM

I say mutant Kaus would awesome as a BD pet, if only i wasnt fixated on a robot ogrin

#17 niccolopogi

niccolopogi
  • 86 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:36 AM

Resistance to all icons is nice but I find 10% to be lacking. IMHO, the minimum resistance to be noticeable in a fight would be 20% above. And yeah, I find Kaus to be butt ugly. I don't know why some people like them though Posted Image

I say mutant Kaus would awesome as a BD pet, if only i wasnt fixated on a robot ogrin

Lulz. I am quite fixated on my Robot Hissi too, but I have an alternate BD pteri :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users