Sup all

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 RegEx

RegEx
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:03 PM

Hey all.
I remembered this website from way way waaay back in the day when I was a lil guy playin neopets. I recently started coding in Python and recalled most of the programs here were written in Python. I don't currently play neopets but have joined for the coding chat.
I've recently wrote my first program in Python and it works great. I am attempting to create a GUI for it using Glade and pyGTK, hoping individuals here will be able to help me out, if need be!

Anyways, thought I'd say hi and still see if there are any python coders around!

#2 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:08 PM

oh thank god a programmer!

Seriously the programming community here is as good as dead. Aside from the neopets programmers. I hope this trend continues...

#3 RegEx

RegEx
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:45 PM

lol glad to see this community is still somewhat active... wasn't expectin that quick of a reply!
anyways, in the past hour I managed to design a shitty GUI and atleast have it show and connect the buttons and whatnot to custom functions... I think this will be easier than I first thought! However, I recall googling how to compile the python script and GUI into a win32 program and the google search pointed me to this site. (Which is how I remembered it) I know the answer is hidden somewhere in this forum so I just have to find it. lol

Anyway, Melchoire, you make it sound like there are no programmers around?! What's up with that?! :(

#4 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:59 PM

lol glad to see this community is still somewhat active... wasn't expectin that quick of a reply!
anyways, in the past hour I managed to design a shitty GUI and atleast have it show and connect the buttons and whatnot to custom functions... I think this will be easier than I first thought! However, I recall googling how to compile the python script and GUI into a win32 program and the google search pointed me to this site. (Which is how I remembered it) I know the answer is hidden somewhere in this forum so I just have to find it. lol

Anyway, Melchoire, you make it sound like there are no programmers around?! What's up with that?! :(

The programmers are all busy coding for neopets(i think it's just SL and iargue). It used to be where if I or anyone needed help debugging a script, there would be upwards of 5 to 7 people ready to make suggestions and contributing. Now, you'll be lucky if you get a reply at all.

If you're programming for neopets on the other hand you've come to the right place. The neopets forums are always active and posting.

Anyway, I haven't done GUI programming outside of .NET. And my first try with wx was a failure. :p But when I did have to do it, I'd keep everything simple with one interface no tabs or sub menus or anything like that.

What are you writing this gui for?

#5 RegEx

RegEx
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:11 PM

I'm sad to hear that! I agree with the hopes that the trend continues lol

I had the same thought -- keeping it simple. At first I wanted to create a 2 window GUI -- the first window for login info and the second with the actual program. It's just a small program that logs into a social media website and checks the game page... I play a game that rewards you with a maximum of 3 links for helping a friend in battle, or winning/losing battles... and those points are close to the best thing in that game... so anyways, the script checks the game page, and it compares the links to the last 10 links clicked, if its not in the list it adds the links to the list, removes the oldest ones to maintain at 10 and then collects the newest links. Anyways, since I'm getting rid of the first login window I figured I will just pass the social media websites username/pass through system args while I'm still learning the ins and outs.

#6 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:16 PM

I'm sad to hear that! I agree with the hopes that the trend continues lol

I had the same thought -- keeping it simple. At first I wanted to create a 2 window GUI -- the first window for login info and the second with the actual program. It's just a small program that logs into a social media website and checks the game page... I play a game that rewards you with a maximum of 3 links for helping a friend in battle, or winning/losing battles... and those points are close to the best thing in that game... so anyways, the script checks the game page, and it compares the links to the last 10 links clicked, if its not in the list it adds the links to the list, removes the oldest ones to maintain at 10 and then collects the newest links. Anyways, since I'm getting rid of the first login window I figured I will just pass the social media websites username/pass through system args while I'm still learning the ins and outs.

Well from what I remember. There's something like a window.show and window.hide right?

Couldn't you create 2 windows. Then hide one and show the other?

#7 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:22 PM

The programmers are all busy coding for neopets(i think it's just SL and iargue).

Well, that's what the site is here for isn't it? Why would we focus on anything else? :p

And it's not just iargue and I.

#8 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:25 PM

Well, that's what the site is here for isn't it? Why would we focus on anything else? :p

Yes yes, this is the new direction we're taking and there's nothing we can do about it =/

#9 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:31 PM

Yes yes, this is the new direction we're taking and there's nothing we can do about it =/

What's so new about what we're doing? There's still a programming section.

The only thing we're doing differently is that we now have a closed programming team, and there's no way that's changing. What we had for programs and a system before was mostly garbage. :/

#10 RegEx

RegEx
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:33 PM

Well from what I remember. There's something like a window.show and window.hide right?

Couldn't you create 2 windows. Then hide one and show the other?

yeah I actually realized that when I wrote the code for the window just a while ago...
I'm still gonna run them through the system args cause then I can just setup shortcuts on my desktop for different accounts and not need to type out the users/pass

#11 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1542 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:34 AM

Well now >.> There are still programmers here, even if we do not post as often as everyone else -.- We are ever videlicet, hiding in the shadows (because we don't like the light) releasing programs when we please. When people ask smart ones (not ones that are all in caps and have nothing to do with the topic) i will read them and offer my opinion :p

#12 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:38 AM

Sometimes its just iargue :(

#13 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:41 AM

iargue and me*

#14 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1542 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:47 AM

iargue and me*

iargue and waser and me*

#15 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:51 AM

iargue and me*

Well played sir. I don't let it happen too often. <_<

#16 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:32 AM

We are ever videlicet, hiding in the shadows (because we don't like the light)

Vampires.

#17 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:20 PM

What's so new about what we're doing? There's still a programming section.

The only thing we're doing differently is that we now have a closed programming team, and there's no way that's changing. What we had for programs and a system before was mostly garbage. :/

Yeh but I don't think we're promoting the programming side of neocodex as much as we used to. I mean how do you explain the deadness of the programming boards?

#18 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:32 PM

Yeh but I don't think we're promoting the programming side of neocodex as much as we used to. I mean how do you explain the deadness of the programming boards?

I don't think the programming section is any more dead than it used to be tbh.

#19 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:28 PM

I don't think the programming section is any more dead than it used to be tbh.

I disagree. I mean just basing it on the number of programmers:

Right now we have: pyro, iargue, noit, and SL (and yourself?)

Back then we had the regulars: shabba, Alias, Raui, you, funnelcake, JLTL, catalyst, pete(until he left), and several others who I forgot their names. and we had the ones who dropped in from time to time like sockopen, blahblahbla, and nikalren.

The difference is substantial.

#20 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:30 PM

Back then we had the regulars: shabba, Alias, Raui, you, funnelcake, JLTL, catalyst, pete(until he left), and several others who I forgot their names. and we had the ones who dropped in from time to time like sockopen, blahblahbla, and nikalren.

But they didn't post anything in the programming section.

In the past, and now the programming section has pretty much been at the same level of activity. Whereas we do a lot of programming talk on irc instead as part of the team.

#21 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:35 PM

We are ever videlicet, hiding in the shadows (because we don't like the light) releasing programs when we please.

Yikes, you should reconsider your programming habits. That doesn't sound very healthy at all.

But they didn't post anything in the programming section.

No way...the amount of activity the boards experience now pales in comparison to back then...

#22 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:36 PM

It's difficult to compare when you're talking like 5-6 years ago. :p I would argue that despite having fewer programmers (and all of the programmers having a lot less time to develop due to work/school time constraints) we've actually been producing a lot higher quality releases over the last couple of years. At the moment we have 28 working programs all actively maintained and no non-functional programs in the downloads section which definitely compares favourably with the situation 5-6 years ago.

#23 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1542 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:05 PM

Yikes, you should reconsider your programming habits. That doesn't sound very healthy at all.

Doing that got you the program manager, which in turn lead to program wide mac support xP

#24 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:07 PM

It's difficult to compare when you're talking like 5-6 years ago. :p I would argue that despite having fewer programmers (and all of the programmers having a lot less time to develop due to work/school time constraints) we've actually been producing a lot higher quality releases over the last couple of years. At the moment we have 28 working programs all actively maintained and no non-functional programs in the downloads section which definitely compares favourably with the situation 5-6 years ago.

Not to mention mac support :p

#25 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:40 PM

Right but it's not just the neopets programs I'm referring to. I mean the overall activity, such as discussing programming topics, writing tutorials, optimizing code, and of course writing the programs themselves. Like SL said we only have the planning and production for neopets programs and even that's happening behind the scenes. And I would say the decline started about 3 years ago. I think we peaked for about 4 years in terms of activity.

So I really don't see how you could compare now to then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users