Quantcast

What happened to all of the fun PC games?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jcrgirl_*

Guest_jcrgirl_*

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:49 AM

Last update for Sim City 4: 2003?
Roller Coaster Tycoon: 2005
Zoo Tycoon?

/Anything/ Building related?
All theres left is this Sims 3 bullshit that has so many bugs it fails. Oh and all of those retarded 1p shooter games. DONOTWANT!!!!

I WANT TO BUILD SHIT AND WATCH IT GROW, DAMN IT! You knoww like, P(t)=(Po)e^(kt) :(
I love Zoo Tycoon 1 but i've completed like every scenario and made some pretty gorgeous Zoo's already. It's just not fun anymore D:

I have a bad ass computer running games made for 1.0 ghz processors with 32 mb graphic memory. It's pretty bad. :(

Basically:
Suggest fun games pleaseee :)
Fuck you farmville bitches btw don't even start that shit.

#2 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:03 AM

I used to play on miniclips.com on my school computers. You're obviously welcome.

#3 Seven

Seven
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:42 AM

Did Minecraft or Terraria ever cross your mind?

Because, you know, they're /building/ games

#4 crtitcmeerca

crtitcmeerca
  • 510 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:01 AM

All the fun PC games are being held back by Blizzard because they want you to hyperventilate and spend every waking moment fantasizing about what the new Zerg Campaign would be like and how smooth the flow is in Diablo 3... Scary

#5 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:20 AM

If you like building things then you should try out minecraft. I honestly have never played but people are very addicted so I assume it's good

#6 Gamepr0

Gamepr0
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:39 AM

Westward is a cool saga, its set in like the pioneer days.

You get to clear lots and build towns, mines, banks, hotels, etc and watch it grow.

I think theres 4 or 5 versions now.

#7 Maloo

Maloo
  • 445 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:54 AM

Ohh, i had forgotten of Zoo Tycoon..I used to love that gamePosted Image
I don't like minecraft that much, but that's just me..

#8 ElPinapple

ElPinapple
  • 204 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:15 PM

I am literally still playing Diablo 2. It is so depressing. 75% of the people you see online are bots.

#9 Seven

Seven
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:22 PM

Ohh, i had forgotten of Zoo Tycoon..I used to love that gamePosted Image
I don't like minecraft that much, but that's just me..

You kind of need time to really get into it. I mostly like Minecraft for the sandbox aspect--I generally get terribly bored when gathering supplies and getting stacks of blocks, so I always make a Diamond Pickaxe when I can because the whole tiered tools thing is annoying enough as it is. It takes a good half hour to find enough diamond for tools and armor, and finding new places gets old when you really just want to create things quickly. There's definitely more room for creativity in Minecraft, but only under the circumstances that you have the materials and idea to do it.

Terraria's a good game because it gives you a sense of progress when you go spelunking and look at your generated map, and how much you have left to see. Unlike Minecraft, where there's a clear bottom and it takes a good twenty minutes or so to reach, reaching the bottom in Terraria takes pretty much an entire day or more to reach the bottom, and that's only if you survive and do little else but dig. Here's a sample map to give you a sense of how ridiculous it is (warning: FUCKING HUGE). There's a tradeoff in Terraria though; there's little room for building and creativity, since, you know, it's just 2D, and you can only make so much with so few 2D blocks.

#10 Guest_jcrgirl_*

Guest_jcrgirl_*

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:25 PM

Minecraft is SO OLD though.
I guess they really did away with a lot of PC games that don't have an alternate source of money extortion like ... cash cards and stuff :(

#11 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:30 PM

Minecraft is SO OLD though.
I guess they really did away with a lot of PC games that don't have an alternate source of money extortion like ... cash cards and stuff :(

Micro transactions are the way of the future.

Also Minecraft? Old? It was released in 2009.

#12 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:52 PM

Is that an official release, or is it still "beta" :p

Official says November, so yeah, still in the "forever beta" stage.

#13 Guest_jcrgirl_*

Guest_jcrgirl_*

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:22 PM

Are we talking about the same minecraft?
Something about just building with blocks is so off-putting to me XD

#14 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:23 PM

Are we talking about the same minecraft?
Something about just building with blocks is so off-putting to me XD

Its actually quiet enjoyable. And I agree with you completely. I want a new tycoon game :(

#15 NarMas

NarMas
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:41 PM

Use to play RollerCoaster, wish they made more updates!

#16 rhexis07

rhexis07
  • 205 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:33 PM

Oh gosh. The Tycoon series was the best.

I played Zoo Tycoon, Roller Coaster Tycoon, Airline Tycoon, etc etc. I loved those games.

Also loved Heros of Might and Magic. Although a little frustrating to play without cheats. :p

Talking about all these games make me feel like playing them again.

I'm a big gamer, but as of now I can't find a single game that I feel as though I really want to get my hands on and try it. Maybe I'm getting too old for all these games. :( I mean, their graphics compared to the past are 1059218 times better, but they just don't appeal to me as how the older games did.

I'm turning a little bit to a console person now, but the only game I play on my console is Fifa. Sigh. I miss the gaming of the old days.

#17 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:58 PM

I agree that there haven't been as many good tycoon or building games as there used to be :(
A game I played for a while was Tropico 3, it was pretty interesting as far as "build it and watch it grow" things are concerned.

Did you ever try Spore? I love the Space stage, it's so expansive and lots of shit to do.
There are also a couple of interesting "tycoon" games on Steam if you're ever on that, and the games are cheap.

There really isn't much in that genre that isn't now on a social networking site unfortunately. :(

#18 Cyo

Cyo
  • Pauly D

• 2561 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:31 AM

How has nobody mentioned Dwarf Fortress? It's the ultimate building game. Sure the learning curve is pretty hard but if you enjoy building stuff, watching a community live in that stuff and killing enemy invaders by pumping magma from the depths of the earth and flooding the world with it then Dwarf Fortress is the game for you.
Posted Image

I'd recommend the Lazy Newb Pack to get you started because the default ASCII might confuse you a lot at first. There's also the wiki and there's a plethora of youtube videos to help you get your first fortress started.

Posted Image
Default ASCII graphics.

Posted Image
With the the tileset that comes with LazyNewbPack, whatever its name is.

#19 Guest_jcrgirl_*

Guest_jcrgirl_*

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:50 AM

I've seen my sister play spore on the PS3. I didn't know it was for PC too?
I have never heard of Aircraft tycoon, but it brings me back to the windows 98 days playing some shitty mall tycoon game where you build walls and place stores. XD

Good times!
Maybe it's because pirating has gotten so out of hand that theres not much profit with games that are just client sided. Either that, or people prefer console games more. :(

#20 onlyme

onlyme
  • I hate everyone.

• 4319 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:15 AM

http://www.bigfishgames.com/

from time to time i get a timemanagement game from there. i mean not really from there, but there you can watch the screenshots and read the description, before you download it somewhere else...

#21 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:15 PM

I've seen my sister play spore on the PS3. I didn't know it was for PC too?
I have never heard of Aircraft tycoon, but it brings me back to the windows 98 days playing some shitty mall tycoon game where you build walls and place stores. XD

Good times!
Maybe it's because pirating has gotten so out of hand that theres not much profit with games that are just client sided. Either that, or people prefer console games more. :(

..It's mainly a PC game, and there's a huge community. You can create the creatures, ships, and buildings. There are different stages but that last one (space age)is the biggest and best in my opinion.

But as far as the types of games you're looking for, yeah PC is shit outta luck

#22 Currant

Currant
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:32 PM

Lords of the Realm anybody?

#23 spruced21

spruced21
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:16 PM

Lords of the Realm anybody?

That game! I was looking for my cd of it the other day and I couldn't find it.

I tried to get theme hospital to work on my computer but alas, didn't work.

#24 soulshin3

soulshin3
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:43 AM

I can also suggest minecraft. The music in the game is amazing, and very relaxing. It just something to play when you have nothing else to do. Seriously, nothing. If you just sit and start playing it and get into it then you can waste hours sitting there playing. Also, there's so many mods for it that it pretty much has unlimited gameplay.

The Sims 3 isn't too bad. You just have to enjoy that type of gameplay. If you liked the 'Get a Life' mode for The Sims 1 on PS2 then there's a game called Sims Life Stories that is pretty much the same thing. I've never played it, but it's a Sims game so it can't be too bad.

PC Gaming has pretty much been dead for the past few years. I feel that it is making a comeback though. With D3/SC2/ToR/GW2 coming out really soon within 2-3 years PC gaming should be back to where it needs to be. Unless you're looking to play an MMO then there's not really a whole lot of options for PC gaming atm. :/

#25 kittycat

kittycat
  • 633 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:46 AM

Starcraft 2? It's building in a different sense.. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users