• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#176 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:39 PM

Good for them. This doesn't really affect me personally, but I'm glad their right to marry is finally being recognized.

Pretty much this. In 20 - 30 years we are going to look back to this time the same way we look back to the civil rights movements of the 60s and women rights movements of the 20s and wonder what the hell were we thinking.

1. The ability to deny a group its liberty faces the burden of proof in American jurisprudence. I think that's the case in most sane countries. The majority cannot simply decide that, say, gingers cannot drink alcohol just because we all got together and outvoted the gingers. There has to be a reason; they face a burden of proof. The minority is protected from the tyranny of the majority.

2. Marriage is a fundamental right possessed by Americans as lined out many times by the Supreme Court of the United States. Civil Unions in the U.S. do not grant the same rights as marriage.

3. Your entire point is moot because Americans nationally favor marriage for gay couples. And these state-by-state votes are exactly the displays of majority rule that you're claiming don't want gay marriage.

4. Frizzle, the United Kingdom is a perfectly wonderful place without you claiming that the Bill of Rights is a pile of shit or that the unitary system of government is the best form of government EVAR. So feel free to drop the bravado. Your demonstrated understanding of the Bill of Rights is either misguided or purposely distorted for effect.

5. The terms "yank" or "yankee" have been around for centuries. I don't find them insulting even if they are intended as such. Wikipedia suggests "In English-speaking countries outside the United States, Yankee, almost universally shortened to Yank, is used as a derogatory, playful or colloquial term for Americans." Don't let it bother you. Hell, we even refer to our soccer team as "the Yanks."

6. Narcissa, your enthusiasm on this issue is much appreciated - and I agree with you - but I think it's important that we all keep level heads when discussing hot-button issues. Let's try to keep it civil. Also, the "Pursuit of Happiness" is not in the Bill of Rights - it's in the Declaration of Independence.

edit: Holy cow, this thing was one huge block of text. Definitely not meant that way. Hopefully *fixed*

Have my babies?

#177 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:30 AM

4. Frizzle, the United Kingdom is a perfectly wonderful place without you claiming that the Bill of Rights is a pile of shit or that the unitary system of government is the best form of government EVAR. So feel free to drop the bravado. Your demonstrated understanding of the Bill of Rights is either misguided or purposely distorted for effect.

You're right, a political system that evolved over thousands of years, the envy of many other countries, India, Canada and Australia are just few examples of countries that ha e copied. A system that allows quick passages of laws unlike America in which it takes years, a political system that influenced the magna carta and a system that still uses 200 year old law due to the fact we got it right the first time.

Is much worse than a 200 year old country in which they believe it's legal to keep a gun but not for two queers to get hitched.

Your point makes total sense.

#178 Phog

Phog
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:26 PM

You're right, a political system that evolved over thousands of years, the envy of many other countries, India, Canada and Australia are just few examples of countries that ha e copied. A system that allows quick passages of laws unlike America in which it takes years, a political system that influenced the magna carta and a system that still uses 200 year old law due to the fact we got it right the first time.

Is much worse than a 200 year old country in which they believe it's legal to keep a gun but not for two queers to get hitched.

Your point makes total sense.

You'll please note that I never claimed that the American system of government is superior to the British system. They're different. They do different things and they work in different ways. They're both pretty cool. Pitting them against each other to try and determine which is "better" is an exercise in playground dick-waving that has no place in a discussion between well-adjusted people.

#179 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:00 PM

I hope no thong wearing homos touch me! GET AWAY FROM ME AND STOP TOUCHING MY RIGHTS

#180 chess211

chess211
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:02 PM

Gun laws are always a controversial issue, that have nothing to do with this.

And everyone knows how kind the UK is towards same sex marriage, I mean it was not until 1971 the the UK first declared marriage between a man and a woman, and reaffirmed it is 1973. The United States federal government took the case so much earlier is 1996. Clearly a victory for their rights in the United Kingdom.

At least the UK grated civil unions in 2004, beating parts of the US with Vermont in 2000, but still declaring that civil unions are not marriage.

Granted, I am all for same-sex marriage, or just the removal of marriage from any legal definition and the complete governmental instruction of civil unions only with marriage being left as a religious institution only. Both countries have flaws, and I support a benevolent dictatorship over any other government because in general people are stupid, and vote for stupid reasons no matter what system is in use. Both countries, the UK and the US are only recently approaching the issue of homosexual rights, and I hope that the trend of greater acceptance continues both for sexual preference and all other differences that are used for discrimination no longer play any role in the legal systems of any country in the world.

#181 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:03 PM

I hope no thong wearing homos touch me! GET AWAY FROM ME AND STOP TOUCHING MY RIGHTS

You only let yourself be touched by thong wearers who are straight. I see, I see.

#182 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:08 PM

You only let yourself be touched by thong wearers who are straight. I see, I see.

Hey, I don't ask about your private life. This is my life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3-WzqfbVHU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users