Photo

Donating Sperm and Eggs

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Donaldmax

Donaldmax
  • 473 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:31 PM

Is there a catch behind donating sperm and eggs?
It sounds too good to be true.
If your a female you can earn up to $7000 dollars
If your a male you can earn up to $1200 dollars per month...
http://www.spermbank.../index.cfm?ID=4
You get 100 bucks per donation if your a guy O_o
I realize that if you donate sperm, someone will buy it eventually. And then babies will arise and then the children would want to meet you, But this seems like quick and easy cash to me. :o
Am I missing something here?

#2 Narcissa

Narcissa

• 320 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:37 PM

Eggs aren't easy to donate if you go to some reputable.

I had to take 5 months of intense weekly talks with other donors, talked to families whose lives had changed because of the donation they received, intense background and health checks, etc, etc.

It was worth it, imo, because I know mine went to a family that had desperately wanted a child. I never met them, and they'll never know me. On your papers as a female donor you can pick as to if you ever want your information released to the child once they hit 18 if they want it. I didn't select that option as I don't want to know or met them. It's not technically my child.

The procedure for me was quick and painless save for some cramps a few hours after. They were gone the next day.

Edited by Narcissa, 05 July 2011 - 10:38 PM.

#3 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:41 PM

You have to apply and be screened I'm pretty sure, it's a process that requires effort.
You also have to have some pretty amazing sperm from what I hear, especially at a place that pays so much for donations. :p
Also I think it freaks some men out about having children out there, even if they do not know them.
Having a child with someone they do know tends to freak them out so.. I can see that being a scary thought too. :p

#4 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:44 PM

I want to try this, I'll apply :p

#5 BEEEEWRRYY

BEEEEWRRYY
  • 315 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:47 PM

Umm.. your sperm or eggs are only worth something if you are like the top 1% of the gene pool. Harvard graduate with model features and a clean health background. Ultimately those sperm and eggs are prolly worth thousands of dollars. Don't think most normal people have much success donating for and getting any significant monetary exchange.

#6 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:47 PM

Eggs aren't easy to donate if you go to some reputable.

I had to take 5 months of intense weekly talks with other donors, talked to families whose lives had changed because of the donation they received, intense background and health checks, etc, etc.

It was worth it, imo, because I know mine went to a family that had desperately wanted a child. I never met them, and they'll never know me. On your papers as a female donor you can pick as to if you ever want your information released to the child once they hit 18 if they want it. I didn't select that option as I don't want to know or met them. It's not technically my child.

The procedure for me was quick and painless save for some cramps a few hours after. They were gone the next day.

Narcissa, may I ask which organization you went to for the process? I'd be very interesting in going for this.

#7 Narcissa

Narcissa

• 320 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:00 PM

Umm.. your sperm or eggs are only worth something if you are like the top 1% of the gene pool. Harvard graduate with model features and a clean health background. Ultimately those sperm and eggs are prolly worth thousands of dollars. Don't think most normal people have much success donating for and getting any significant monetary exchange.

Actually, it's illegal to screen on such qualifications at legit places. A real place will get all of your family's health history (mine asked up to Paternal and Maternal GGGG Grandparents.) They'll also ask you about your hobbies and your general education but they can't disqualify you for it.

Narcissa, may I ask which organization you went to for the process? I'd be very interesting in going for this.

It was when I was living in Atlanta, lemme go back through my old emails. It was about 2 years ago that I actually had the procedure so I'll do some wading for you. :)

ETA:
This is the company that I went through at the time, although it looks like they changed their head doctors since. Link!

As I said, it's not an easy process. They don't pay for transportation during the months before they actually take your eggs, all they pay for is your birth control that you'll be on when they've found a match as well as the preliminary doctors tests. (make sure your uterine tract is up to par and such)

I originally did do it for the money, it was 5 grand for me and if I went back it'd increase a grand with each successful donation, with 5 donations in total (this includes the family receiving the IVF as having had a successful childbirth so you have to wait around a year to hear if they even actually conceived although you do get your money within a week of the procedure). However, after I'd gone through with it, it had been much more than a simple donation. A real place will make sure you're stable enough, and sound enough to go through with it.

My best advice is to just look around on google for a fertility clinic to see if they're looking for donors and see what their program is really like. Do some digging. Make sure you ask how many donors actually get through all the phases and screening and how long it REALLY takes. If they give you some answer that's to good to be true, run like the wind! (usually less than 10% or so of donors actually get all the way through and it will most certainly take longer than 3 months at shortest!) It's a long and time consuming event. Please, please, please also look into the many and numerous things that can go wrong with donating your eggs. There's been many cases of females who have gone through the procedure only to have major issues afterwards, one of the main things being infertility itself.

Edited by Narcissa, 05 July 2011 - 11:31 PM.

#8 Elle

Elle
  • ShadowLink64's Rebel

• 894 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:27 AM

In donating eggs/ sperm, any child produced from these eggs/ sperm IS technically, GENETICALLY your child. Obviously they're not legally your child, and you may have no significance or role whatsoever in their life, ever, but they are, and always will be genetically your child.

That having been said, i understand completely why others donate sperm/ eggs, and the opportunities it gives those who could not have children otherwise. I just don't think it should be seen or perceived as a way to make some quick cash.

#9 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:36 AM

In donating eggs/ sperm, any child produced from these eggs/ sperm IS technically, GENETICALLY your child. Obviously they're not legally your child, and you may have no significance or role whatsoever in their life, ever, but they are, and always will be genetically your child.

That having been said, i understand completely why others donate sperm/ eggs, and the opportunities it gives those who could not have children otherwise. I just don't think it should be seen or perceived as a way to make some quick cash.

I totally agree with this. Im sure a lot of people benefit from it but im with Elle on this one. It would be very weird knowing that little Strat's are out there running around and wreaking havoc lol

#10 Narcissa

Narcissa

• 320 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:38 AM

Unfortunately it is. Donating your body to science is often times a much easier and simple way to get cash fast without perceived repercussions.

As is with eggs, once you've gone though all of the screening process it actually becomes less of a money issue. They want you to know exactly what goes on with females and females who can't conceive and how hard it is. I didn't even know that I myself was an IVF baby until I went through this procedure and told my parents (Dad had bad swimmers so I'm genetically their child, was just conceived in a tube). They were and are, extremely proud of me. I don't want kids, ever, and I've told them as such. Having spent 13 years themselves trying to conceive, with a lot of money spent only to be disappointed again, and again, and again I'm glad I made a couples dream come true. (The mother had actually gone through cancer and had some issue with her eggs because of the chemo. I'm so happy they have a child now because of me!)

I really don't see donating eggs as a way to make quick cash anymore. It's a much longer and in depth process. You'll be doing it for the right reasons in the end, they make sure of it.

Guys on the otherhand...

Edited by Narcissa, 06 July 2011 - 12:40 AM.

#11 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:46 AM

yeah like you said the process is less involved with guys and hence why a lot of males do use it as a source of income. I personally would never bother with it as i find it immoral (imo) and totally defeats the purpose of enjoying a family of your own. (although in saying that, i have a couple of mates who have donated sperm and they have a couple of kids each).

#12 RWS

RWS
  • 596 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:26 AM

I've heard that the operation for females can be risky, as it is an invasive procedure. Not sure if it is worth it for the money, considering the health impact. Can someone else with more knowledge comment on this?

#13 soulshin3

soulshin3
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:53 AM

My speech professor told me that a woman with very desirable traits got 20k for donating her egg.

That said, I'm not sure if I could actually do this. Knowing that somewhere out there is a child that is your child, but you'll not get to see them grow up is somewhat scary to me. :/

To each his own though.

#14 kittycat

kittycat
  • 633 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:37 AM

I don't think you can be paid for sperm/egg donations in Canada, but I could be wrong.

#15 Donaldmax

Donaldmax
  • 473 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:23 AM

I will keep this in mind. I will only do this if I am ever in times of need of quick cash and if I'm desperate lol. I'm pretty sure that there are clinics in canada lol.

#16 Sinwin

Sinwin
  • 523 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:26 AM

I will keep this in mind. I will only do this if I am ever in times of need of quick cash and if I'm desperate lol. I'm pretty sure that there are clinics in canada lol.

I too. This donation reminds of prostitution in a way, so best to avoid it.

#17 Joanna

Joanna
  • 839 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:12 AM

yeah like you said the process is less involved with guys and hence why a lot of males do use it as a source of income. I personally would never bother with it as i find it immoral (imo) and totally defeats the purpose of enjoying a family of your own. (although in saying that, i have a couple of mates who have donated sperm and they have a couple of kids each).

Which part do you find immoral? Donating the sperm, or using is as a source of income?

#18 ThreeDollarBill

ThreeDollarBill
  • 252 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:00 AM

$7,000? Oh... My... God... I will definitely look for an opportunity like this. The only thing is that I seriously doubt that my country has programs like these. And I don't think they'll accept eggs from a 18 year old, lol (correct me if I'm wrong).

#19 Maloo

Maloo
  • 445 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:15 AM

I too. This donation reminds of prostitution in a way, so best to avoid it.

In which way does it remind you of prostitution?
You're making a difference in someone else's life, giving them the opportunity to have a child when they could not, for whatever reasons.
If getting payed to help people reminds you of prostitution, we're gonna have to disagree, because I think this is very noble, even if you're doing it just for the cash.

#20 MeWantCookies

MeWantCookies
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:25 AM

How is it immoral? Do you think adoption is immoral? What about couples who use a surrogate to carry their genetic child? I don't know how you could draw a line at sperm/egg donation and not include both of those things too.

#21 Maloo

Maloo
  • 445 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:34 AM

How is it immoral? Do you think adoption is immoral? What about couples who use a surrogate to carry their genetic child? I don't know how you could draw a line at sperm/egg donation and not include both of those things too.

Posted Image

You said it all, my friend, you said it all..
+rep

#22 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:49 AM

We periodically offer incentives such as movie tickets or gift certificates for extra time and effort expended by participating sperm donors.

Extra effort as in screaming and walking out with your 'O' face?

#23 Donaldmax

Donaldmax
  • 473 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:51 AM

Extra effort as in screaming and walking out with your 'O' face?

I think the extra effort is the commitment. What you just said was kind of stupid...

#24 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:03 PM

My comment was kind of stupid eh? Well if you look past the morale standards of this bullshit all you find is basic human instinct. Blowing your load into a cup. Your face is stupid bitch.

#25 Narcissa

Narcissa

• 320 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:03 PM

Clearing somethings up here.... (this is on the females perspective, sorry guys!)

It is ILLEGAL for a fertility clinic to pick and choose their donors on looks and education. What they CAN pick you on is your health background. If someone in your family suffers from a disease or disorder that has a strong genetic link they will not take you. Also, they are NOT paying you for the egg or sperm. It's illegal to sell any bodily fluids or body parts to anyone. Even including plasma and blood. They're paying you for your time and effort which they very clearly state up from the moment you walk in.

The age for donating is 18+ but the chances of them accepting you at that age is slim unless your menstrual cycles are normal/your uterine tract is fully developed. 20+ is usually the average (from what I saw)

No idea where people are getting the idea that this like prostitution or is immoral. You're helping a family conceive and help fulfill their dreams. Like I said, my egg went to a cancer patient; this is an extremely time consuming and emotional journey for both donor and receiving family.

The procedure for females can be very risky and there are some serious complications that could happen, even with an excellent fertility doctor. A really big and very real risk is infertility itself; when they retrieve the egg they can cause scar tissue which can block the fallopian tubes. There's also risks with infection, bleeding, and the fertility drug that they give you. If you're seriously looking into this as a female learn the risks and go to a professional.

Also, there's a time frame as to how long eggs/sperm can be stored for. Pretty sure most sperm goes in the bin after about a year or so.

Edited by Narcissa, 06 July 2011 - 01:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users