• This topic is locked This topic is locked
338 replies to this topic

#1 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1542 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:31 AM

Dear Members,

I think that we can all agree that the motivation for people to become advanced through posting meaningful posts is just not there. Instead we have ignorant people come into our community; spam a bunch of bullshit to get 500 and then leave. This not only irritates the staff but I'm pretty sure you members are very fed up with it. So as-of today we have removed the 500 post requirement and found a better way for people to become advanced and therefore use the programs to their full potential. Active participation as-well as a recommendation from an advanced, retired or staff member. Once this has happened a topic will be created and the rest of the community will have their say if this user has earned their keep. For all of our current advanced members; you are now part of neocodex history and when someone brings up the hellish past of becoming advanced through 500 posts, you can now say "I was there man..." with pride and admiration. If you were working on it and are within the 450-500 range; we will accept your applications now. The rest of you will have to wait until we create the setup for other members to apply.

Ladies, Gentlemen and you Drak... I welcome you to the new codex; where being helpful pays off :)

~Pyro and The Codex Staff

P.S: I am posting this with-out the full knowledge of the admins and i apologize if this is too soon. I did give you guys warnings that i would post it and you seemed fine with that. Everyone can agree that the current system needs to change...

YOU WILL STILL BE ABLE TO PURCHASE ADVANCED MEMBERSHIP. THAT FEATURE WILL NOT BE REMOVED
-Iargue

#2 Splice

Splice
  • ShadowLink64's Husband

• 114 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:33 AM

I, for one, welcome our new voting overlords.

#3 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

First and

Posted Image

#4 Charmender

Charmender
  • Awesome

• 4104 posts

Users Awards

Sounds good, less spam ftw.

#5 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:34 AM

Wait, which is it?
Applications, or invitations?

#6 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:36 AM

Wait, which is it?

No idea.

#7 Donaldmax

Donaldmax
  • 473 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:36 AM

I smell heavy bribing coming.

#8 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1542 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:37 AM

Wait, which is it?

Both; were still working out the finer details of this. For now anyone with 450-500 posts can send us reasons they think they should be advanced and we will personally conciser it... We are then thinking of having the members vote in who they feel deserve it.

I smell heavy bribing coming.

I cannot be bought

#9 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:37 AM

Scot likes the direction this administration is heading Posted Image

#10 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:38 AM

Both; were still working out the finer details of this. For now anyone with 450-500 posts can send us reasons they think they should be advanced and we will personally conciser it... We are then thinking of having the members vote in who they feel deserve it.

To be honest, I don't think there should be an announcement until the idea is fully formed and ready to be rolled out.

Plus, it sounds like you're making Advance the equivalent of Private, but without the community benefits.
Does this mean the old Privates are going to be put back to Advanced?
And what about the Advanced members who have not made sufficient contribution to be considered for the new requirements?
And is Advanced membership still purchaseable? In which case, how to differentiate between members who have been successful at using the site effectively, and those who have access to Daddy's credit card?

#11 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1542 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:40 AM

To be honest, I don't think there should be an announcement until the idea is fully formed and ready to be rolled out.

To be honest, we want to get rid of the 500 posts right now so it will force us to come up with a better plan. This has been on the back burner for many months and i realized the only way to actually get the admins moving is to make the public aware of what is happening so they too can help push them forward. Unless you want me to reverse this; keep the 500 posts there and let the staff talk about it for a few more months...

#12 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:40 AM

The only problem I see with this vs. the private section in which we've been discussing elsewhere seems rather obvious. People aren't going to want to list reasons why they voted no out in the middle of public. The extra forum for that "private" rank (Can still be called advanced, really makes no difference) is essential to the nomination and voting process. Anonymous voting is essential to proper elections.

Outside of this flaw (Which I'm sure will be worked out in the near future) I am incredibly happy with this idea and think moving away from the 500 post count model will be highly beneficial. :)

P.s. Thanks pyro for taking the initiative and forcing this issue into the mainline. It has been on the back burner for far too long and change is much needed. :)

#13 Map

Map
  • 861 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:42 AM

I think it's good that the system is changing, thank you always to the programmers + Staff always striving to make Neocodex a better place. I'm very curious and interested in what's going to happen in the future :)

#14 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1542 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:42 AM

The only problem I see with this vs. the private section in which we've been discussing elsewhere seems rather obvious. People aren't going to want to list reasons why they voted no out in the middle of public. The extra forum for that "private" rank (Can still be called advanced, really makes no difference) is essential to the nomination and voting process. Anonymous voting is essential to proper elections.

Outside of this flaw (Which I'm sure will be worked out in the near future) I am incredibly happy with this idea and think moving away from the 500 post count model will be highly beneficial. :)

This is what we are trying to work out now. We know that we need to remove the 500 posts and so that has happened right now. Within the next 48 hours we will have a much better system all layed out.

#15 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:43 AM

I realized the only way to actually get the admins moving is to make the public aware of what is happening so they too can help push them forward.

With respect, that's not your job.

In fact, it seems to me that this move is exceptionally rude.

#16 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1542 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:47 AM

With respect, that's not your job.

In fact, it seems to me that this move is exceptionally rude.

My job? Who are you to outline "my job". This is something that both shadow and hydro have approved of. We were waiting for noits input but he could not be reached. I find it exceptionally rude that you believe you know what it is that im aloud to do here.

#17 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:51 AM

My job? Who are you to outline "my job". This is something that both shadow and hydro have approved of. We were waiting for noits input but he could not be reached. I find it exceptionally rude that you believe you know what it is that im aloud to do here.

"P.S: I am posting this with-out the full knowledge of the admins and i apologize if this is too soon. I did give you guys warnings that i would post it and you seemed fine with that. Everyone can agree that the current system needs to change..."

If it's something you think you need a preemptive apology for, you're acting outside your remit.

#18 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1542 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:54 AM

"P.S: I am posting this with-out the full knowledge of the admins and i apologize if this is too soon. I did give you guys warnings that i would post it and you seemed fine with that. Everyone can agree that the current system needs to change..."

If it's something you think you need a preemptive apology for, you're acting outside your remit.

I am covering all of my bases Sweeney, they know that this is what needs to happen and so it has. I wasn't sure if they had anything else to add or anything in that area. The action its self was deemed viable by the admins; the content there-in was what was questionable. Back off

#19 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:57 AM

I am covering all of my bases Sweeney, they know that this is what needs to happen and so it has. I wasn't sure if they had anything else to add or anything in that area. The action its self was deemed viable by the admins; the content there-in was what was questionable. Back off

So what you're saying is that two thirds of the admin team acknowledge that the change needs to occur, but they don't know that you've enacted the change today, or made the change public?

To put it bluntly, you can't be both making the announcement to force the admin team to take action, and with their full backing and support. The two things are mutually exclusive.

#20 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1542 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:11 AM

So what you're saying is that two thirds of the admin team acknowledge that the change needs to occur, but they don't know that you've enacted the change today, or made the change public?

To put it bluntly, you can't be both making the announcement to force the admin team to take action, and with their full backing and support. The two things are mutually exclusive.

You are such a pleasure to talk to.

a)Hydro Said Yes
b)Shadow Said Yes
c)I was going to a make the notice
d)Hydro said yes
e)Shadow said lets wait 24 hours to see if noit has anything to add
f)I waited 22 hours
h)I have not been able to get a hold of the admins since our talk last night
g)I have to leave very soon so i made the notice now
e)Shadow has read this topic and not posted any objections

Im done arguing with you over this Sweeney. You seem to think that i have over stepped my bounds when i have already recieved permission from both shadow and hydro to do so.

#21 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:18 AM

Looks cool, thanks for setting this up Pyro. Obviously a little rough around the edges, but it's good you finally got rid of the 500 system.

#22 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:18 AM

You are such a pleasure to talk to.

a)Hydro Said Yes
b)Shadow Said Yes
c)I was going to a make the notice
d)Hydro said yes
e)Shadow said lets wait 24 hours to see if noit has anything to add
f)I waited 22 hours
h)I have not been able to get a hold of the admins since our talk last night
g)I have to leave very soon so i made the notice now
e)Shadow has read this topic and not posted any objections

Im done arguing with you over this Sweeney. You seem to think that i have over stepped my bounds when i have already recieved permission from both shadow and hydro to do so.

If you'd been that clear from the start, I wouldn't have had a problem. It seemed to me like you were acting totally out of line, judging by your attitude and the information you gave.

That said, if the admins are so on board, I don't understand the need to make an announcement before any kind of system is prepared to handle the changeover.
There's virtually no information in the post, and since you expect to have all the details sorted in 48hrs, there's no reason it couldn't have waited.

#23 zandra

zandra
  • 791 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:19 AM

i like the change. and i do believe credit should be given to Pyro for at least pushing things that many are unhappy about forward.

maybe change the title of the thread more of a early warning of changes instead of an announcement of change to address sweeney's concerns

#24 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:21 AM

If you'd been that clear from the start, I wouldn't have had a problem. It seemed to me like you were acting totally out of line, judging by your attitude and the information you gave.

That said, if the admins are so on board, I don't understand the need to make an announcement before any kind of system is prepared to handle the changeover.
There's virtually no information in the post, and since you expect to have all the details sorted in 48hrs, there's no reason it couldn't have waited.

He said he was leaving soon Posted Image

#25 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:23 AM

He said he was leaving soon Posted Image

The benefit of a forum is that messages have longevity such that an addressee can return and reply at a later time.
Don't ever try to patronise me, please.

Ah, unless you meant that he was leaving so he reallyreallyhadtomakeaprematurepost.
To which I reply; for 48 hours? There's no need to get an announcement out before he goes somewhere.
Someone else could have made it perhaps. Possibly one of those admins we hear so much about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users