Photo

Advanced Membership Requirements Changed

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
338 replies to this topic

#276 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:16 PM

Trolls don't get promoted, or assigned responsibility.

I cant quite put my tongue on any example, but I'm sure this is true.

#277 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:22 PM

It's not intended as an argument from authority, you fool. It's a categorical disproof of your concept of me as a troll.

** In most cases. :p

#278 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:22 PM

*coughcyo4pivotcough*

Anyways holy fudging pucknuggets would you two hush? xD You're going to get a section of this thread invised or something and ruin the fun for those who haven't read all the drama llamaing yet. THINK OF THE CHILDREN.

#279 Shampoo

Shampoo
  • 295 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:23 PM

Actually, I chose an example out of many posts that are buried under Sweeney's inane arguments, with the intention of pointing out the uselessness of his posts.

But I guess I'm a troll.

the backlash to your posts is exactly the sort of "in-crowd, out-crowd" bullshit that will make any public vote for membership here a popularity-based clusterfuck

#280 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:26 PM

Posted Image

#281 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:29 PM

*coughcyo4pivotcough*

That was an exceptional case xD

the backlash to your posts is exactly the sort of "in-crowd, out-crowd" bullshit that will make any public vote for membership here a popularity-based clusterfuck

Yes.
Or, in fact, he's just wrong.

#282 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:36 PM

It doesn't take much to look at post history and see whether or not people get in, if people seriously judge so much on their opinions and attitude, then maybe these people don't belong in advanced+ to begin with.

#283 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:42 PM

So was there any actual discussions in this thread that supported the initial post? Don't get me wrong, I'm not just lazy. Gotta go soon and I've been awake for over 36 hours

#284 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:43 PM

So was there any actual discussions in this thread that supported the initial post? Don't get me wrong, I'm not just lazy. Gotta go soon and I've been awake for over 36 hours

just read the topic in GC, you'll get more true discussion from that thread. :p

#285 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:54 PM

I wonder why...
Unilateral decision making, versus constructive discussion topic...

#286 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:59 PM

I guessed as much, some people wont even know this thread exists. Most of this member chatter is useless to the big guys but I think it keeps things going for people like myself who don't even play neopets; obviously the biggest attraction on this website. I know there are others around here who don't play either, why not treat a minority as well?

#287 Shampoo

Shampoo
  • 295 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:08 PM

Yes.
Or, in fact, he's just wrong.

about the troll thing? yes
about you being the sole offender? yes
about the actual ideas (few though they may be) being overshadowed? not so much

I realize that I could have worded that post better
I haven't been here long so it might just be the way you guys do things around here (the only other forum I belong to is a music board populated mostly by trolls and stoners, so things are quite different) but there seems to be a lot of intentionally abrasive or argumentative posting. Before he got drawn into a petty disagreement (of the same sort as he says ruined the thread [is that irony? I wasn't an English major]) it seemed to me that is what bone was trying to point out, even if he went about it the wrong way.

It doesn't take much to look at post history and see whether or not people get in, if people seriously judge so much on their opinions and attitude, then maybe these people don't belong in advanced+ to begin with.

In theory, I agree. But it is not entirely reassuring when one reads threads like this that it will actually work that way. Again, it might just be me being a nub and not being used to the way you guys act here.

#288 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:11 PM

about the troll thing? yes
about you being the sole offender? yes
about the actual ideas (few though they may be) being overshadowed? not so much

I realize that I could have worded that post better
I haven't been here long so it might just be the way you guys do things around here (the only other forum I belong to is a music board populated mostly by trolls and stoners, so things are quite different) but there seems to be a lot of intentionally abrasive or argumentative posting. Before he got drawn into a petty disagreement (of the same sort as he says ruined the thread [is that irony? I wasn't an English major]) it seemed to me that is what bone was trying to point out, even if he went about it the wrong way.

I don't believe he really was concerned about that at all. He didn't make much of an effort to address the point that he quoted, choosing instead to make an unnecessary dig at me.
And then again, if you read his reply to redlion.

But you might be right. He could have some fantastic ideas, but totally unequipped with the social skills required to communicate them effectively.

#289 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:41 PM

I'm really temped to just say I was trolling and call it a day, but I think by now my point has been made.
LeeJiEun has pretty much got it right. It was probably a mistake to call out Sweeney, given the way he generally responds to those who disagree with him.
In any case, whether I've contributed to it or not, having the community take place in any sort of decision making hasn't ever been an effective solution or produced enough output for it to be worthwhile. It invariably just becomes a flame war eventually.

#290 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:02 PM

Just, from people who don't know you all, it makes me feel as if I start any discussion or disagree with anyone, that's it's going to turn into some mud-slinging, "I've been here longer than you", "I have a higher rank than you" therefore I'm better than you bitch fest.

That shit would never happen. I'd know, I've been here for a long ass time AND I'm "Retired". "Retired" > Advanced, in case you couldn't understand that.

"Retired" is in quotes because I still don't think I truly earned that spot when compared to the people who were legitimately voted into retired. But yes, I was around when the merger happened, proving my longevity. Oh, by the way, did you see my join date?

Besides Cyo, I think iruleatants has seen some promotions here. The difference being, though, that iruleatants made some major changes to his behavior before anything happened. (Just my understanding, not exactly sure on the details)

#291 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:20 PM

I doubt that anyone here would pull the rank card like that. they might call you a dullard or imply that you are illiterate or whatever, but if (when?) they do it will be on the basis of the post rather than your post count or membership level. :thumbsup:

it would be nice if you didn't decide to stop posting. it seems like you really have a lot to contribute and a lot that people here want to hear about, so don't be discouraged.

I love this post! (+1)

I saw the post by SL in the topic in GC... hoping there is a decision made soon! :D

#292 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:41 PM

It's not so much people play the rank/join-date/post-count card, it's more so if you're newer and you make a stupid post, you're more likely to be called out for it.

That being said, generally that doesn't happen too often unless someone does do something rather stupid. With so many people seeing these posts and if you're bullshitting a storm or just being excessively rude/stupid, people will call you out on it. But it's the internet, what can you expect?

#293 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:19 AM

Active participation as-well as a recommendation from an advanced, retired or staff member.

I super super like this idea. Awesome job guys!

#294 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:25 AM

I super super like this idea. Awesome job guys!

Should be a recommendation from a retired or staff member only. 90% (probably not the actual number) of the active people on here are advanced so to get a recommendation from one is almost meaningless.

#295 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:15 PM

Frizzle for mod!

#296 Robert

Robert
  • 6934 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:40 PM