Photo

Advanced Membership Requirements Changed

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
338 replies to this topic

#51 holaCarlos

holaCarlos
  • 290 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:57 PM

I can see why you'd want to get rid of the 500-post system, but why not keep it and employ stricter rules for spammers?

#52 Rikku

Rikku
  • 2109 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:01 PM

What a HUGE improvement over our current system! Although I do have to agree with one point that someone already made: I think there should be a way for us to tell between the people who actually contribute and work hard, and thouse who just have access to their parent's credit card.

Also i'm all in for demotions, there are currently almost 500 advanced members according to our memeber listings, i'm sure that less than 10% of them are actually currently active..

#53 soulshin3

soulshin3
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:09 PM

What a HUGE improvement over our current system! Although I do have to agree with one point that someone already made: I think there should be a way for us to tell between the people who actually contribute and work hard, and thouse who just have access to their parent's credit card.

Also i'm all in for demotions, there are currently almost 500 advanced members according to our memeber listings, i'm sure that less than 10% of them are actually currently active..

Giving money to the site is technically 'contributing' to the site. You're helping to pay for hosting.

#54 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:11 PM

Giving money to the site is technically 'contributing' to the site. You're helping to pay for hosting.

I agree, subscriptions are pretty much essential to keeping the site running since we have to pay for 2 servers now amongst other things.

#55 soulshin3

soulshin3
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:22 PM

I agree, subscriptions are pretty much essential to keeping the site running since we have to pay for 2 servers now amongst other things.

An imageboard I used to frequent actually had something like a progress bar that showed what the price for the servers costed and how many donations the site had already received. Would it be possible to get something like that for this site? Showing how much money the site has gotten from advanced subscriptions/donations out of how much is needed for the servers for the month?

Also, I didn't think about this before, but people who have paid for their advanced shouldn't be allowed to vote for whether or not someone gets advanced. (duh.)

#56 Rikku

Rikku
  • 2109 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:30 PM

An imageboard I used to frequent actually had something like a progress bar that showed what the price for the servers costed and how many donations the site had already received. Would it be possible to get something like that for this site? Showing how much money the site has gotten from advanced subscriptions/donations out of how much is needed for the servers for the month?

Also, I didn't think about this before, but people who have paid for their advanced shouldn't be allowed to vote for whether or not someone gets advanced. (duh.)

Somehow, i dont think that people who paid for their advanced subscription will even be here on the forum to vote in the first place. If you notice, most (not all) of the time, they only come here to complain about how a program is not working, or bitch about an error they got while using the SS.

#57 Frank274

Frank274
  • 2051 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:31 PM

I can see why you'd want to get rid of the 500-post system, but why not keep it and employ stricter rules for spammers?

We'd need more staff members to do that.

I agree with the new policy :thumbsup:

#58 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:33 PM

Good thing I got Advanced last month hurrhurrr

..just kidding I swear D:

I agree with this.. somewhat. At least people "spamming" was actually keeping the forum somewhat active.. now what?
I guess we'll just have to see how this plays out.. but so far I'm not interested.
Like holaCarlos said, why not just have stricter rules about spamming and post content? Or increase the number of required posts?
OR have 500 posts + a set number of rep and/or a competent guide for something or some other contribution.

Just seems like more work for the mods and to be quite frank, mods that are hardly around in the first place

#59 soulshin3

soulshin3
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:33 PM

Somehow, i dont think that people who paid for their advanced subscription will even be here on the forum to vote in the first place. If you notice, most (not all) of the time, they only come here to complain about how a program is not working, or bitch about an error they got while using the SS.

Is there any word on how voting will work? Each application must get x amount of yes/nos before the application is accepted/rejected?

#60 Rikku

Rikku
  • 2109 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:37 PM

Is there any word on how voting will work? Each application must get x amount of yes/nos before the application is accepted/rejected?

Or who will vote in the first place....

will it be an admin vote? retired+ admin? general public?

It'll probably be a simple majority, but I guess this is what Pyro meant when he was mentioning all of the wrinkles that woud have to be ironed out in the next 48 hours (and counting).

#61 Pavement

Pavement
  • 429 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:43 PM

I'm happy with this.

#62 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:43 PM

Yowza I missed a bunch. Okay:

1) I agree that 500 posts for advanced without question is dumb. I think that since only like, what, 3-5 people get advanced in a week (if that) then we can just approve those members (and by "we" it can be staff or w/e) so at least people will still have motivation to post, but not to spam.
2) This can be a double edged sword: either people are like "ahh sweet post count isn't super crucial anymore so I can post without getting flamed" or "well shit, I already am part of like 4 other forums. I can't be active in all of them" and just stop posting altogether. Question is: Do we even need these people (I mean for the site's sake, not ours).
3) While pre-mature in posting this announcement maybe, at least we can all throw out ideas before it's official :3 If they all had it worked out and then we were like "aww hell naw" at least it's more easily remedied now
4) I don't think we need a whole group/other members to vote for people getting advanced or not O.o That can cause drama since a lot of people hate a lot of other people. They'll make it personal instead of for the good of the forum (and I'm one of them).
5) Yes to demotions
6) I like turtles

#63 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:47 PM

To be honest, I don't think there should be an announcement until the idea is fully formed and ready to be rolled out.

Plus, it sounds like you're making Advance the equivalent of Private, but without the community benefits.
Does this mean the old Privates are going to be put back to Advanced?
And what about the Advanced members who have not made sufficient contribution to be considered for the new requirements?
And is Advanced membership still purchaseable? In which case, how to differentiate between members who have been successful at using the site effectively, and those who have access to Daddy's credit card?

QFE I came here just to say that but Joe put it perfectly so I ended up just +repping :p.

New ranking system:
Basic Member
Subscription Member (if you pay 5$ per month, same program perks as advanced)
Full Member (what you guys are trying to make advanced now I guess. Although I'm starting to think that advanced has been a bad idea even though initially I was quite for it)
Private (Retired members are like 90% in favor of bringing back private)
Retired

But the thing is playing around with the ranking so much is liable to anger people. People who earned advanced by the current standards and will lose it will be upset. People who earn advanced by the new standards will be angry if it can be bought. If there's no roll back of privates who got auto-promoted to Retired, private will be empty and a useless rank. If there is a roll back privates might get angry that they lost their rank and people who voted in new Retired members might not have voted the way they did had there not been a mass promotion of privates, so what happens to the new members? Re-vote? If nothing changes Retired members will continue to be upset that the rank has been devalued (not sure if I'm using the right word here) and people will still be upset that so many members spam to get advanced.

I think we're in a situation where all the outcomes have some negatives, I'd say the community should start voicing their opinions and the admins should listen and make a tricky choice

Also why did beta testers get Retired member's colors?

#64 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:47 PM

^ totally agree with boggart and he says things better than me

#65 soulshin3

soulshin3
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:49 PM

1) I agree that 500 posts for advanced without question is dumb. I think that since only like, what, 3-5 people get advanced in a week (if that) then we can just approve those members (and by "we" it can be staff or w/e) so at least people will still have motivation to post, but not to spam.
2) This can be a double edged sword: either people are like "ahh sweet post count isn't super crucial anymore so I can post without getting flamed" or "well shit, I already am part of like 4 other forums. I can't be active in all of them" and just stop posting altogether. Question is: Do we even need these people (I mean for the site's sake, not ours).
3) While pre-mature in posting this announcement maybe, at least we can all throw out ideas before it's official :3 If they all had it worked out and then we were like "aww hell naw" at least it's more easily remedied now
4) I don't think we need a whole group/other members to vote for people getting advanced or not O.o That can cause drama since a lot of people hate a lot of other people. They'll make it personal instead of for the good of the forum (and I'm one of them).
5) Yes to demotions
6) I like turtles

I like #1, assuming I'm understanding it correctly. If you mean when a person gets 500 posts a group of people approves them for advanced, then yeah that would be a great idea, but what if that person get's denied? Perhaps allow a vote on that person for every 100 posts after 500?

#66 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:52 PM

If nothing changes Retired members will continue to be upset that the rank has been devalued (not sure if I'm using the right word here) and people will still be upset that so many members spam to get advanced.

But in all honesty, who even gets promoted to Retired anymore? In the last, what, 6 months, there have been two new people in retired. Georgina and Punk.

I realize that you guys don't have official requirements for making people retired and you guys do specifically choose who gets to be in it, but it's not exactly a "community group" if it's basically unachievable since you guys want to make it so exclusive.

#67 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:03 PM

But in all honesty, who even gets promoted to Retired anymore? In the last, what, 6 months, there have been two new people in retired. Georgina and Punk.

I realize that you guys don't have official requirements for making people retired and you guys do specifically choose who gets to be in it, but it's not exactly a "community group" if it's basically unachievable since you guys want to make it so exclusive.

Rambo was just added to retired, and retired members can make a vote at any time to vote someone into retired, and it will be done.

P.S. YOU HAVE A BIG SURPRISE COMING SOON. :)

#68 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:05 PM

Rambo was just added to retired, and retired members can make a vote at any time to vote someone into retired, and it will be done.

How in the world was Rambo not in retired already? O.o

And I understand (to a point) about retired voting, I think that certain people are very deserving members of retired (not alluding to me) although few seem to get the opportunity.

#69 Sinwin

Sinwin
  • 523 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:07 PM

:whistling: Is this a hint that Boggart going into retired or that you have something sinister planned?

#70 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:08 PM

:whistling: Is this a hint that Boggart going into retired or that you have something sinister planned?

Who knows? Most likely the latter.

Just a random question: demotion; a possiblity at ALL? :3 Or should I stop making a list?

#71 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:09 PM

Boggart already said no one gets voted into retired.

Who knows? Most likely the latter.

Just a random question: demotion; a possiblity at ALL? :3 Or should I stop making a list?

I highly doubt it. Would make far to many people upset.

#72 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:11 PM

I highly doubt it. Would make far to many people upset.

Well shucks. *throws away paper that is headed by danielfromburn*

#73 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:12 PM

Well shucks. *throws away paper that is headed by danielfromburn*

Should make your list anyways, and send it to me. I'll pitch demoting those guys to the administration.

#74 kittycat

kittycat
  • 633 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:15 PM

If Pyro's way doesn't work out this is a great plan B, which isn't such a big change, but still a positive one.

#75 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:15 PM

As enjoyable as that would be for me since I'm a whiny bitch, it might have to hold off till later :3

*adds frostz*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users