Photo

Trading Post Scamming and everything

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 Donaldmax

Donaldmax
  • 473 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:35 PM

Well, since new users are constantly scamming each other, wouldn't it be wise, to put a post count requirement to see the Trading Post?
What I mean is for example. Bob1234 just joined yesterday. He wants to sell a Super Attack Pea. He sees the trading post and under it, it says: Requirement to view this sub-forum: Post count: 250 or something. This way, scamming wouldn't be easy as 123. This is just a random thought.
I know a lot of you will say how the "spamming" problem would occur, but this way Advanced Members would get more of a benefit. Being able to trade in the trading post should be a privilege. So they get programs(abrosia) + Trading Post(where the gold is at) :) I really do believe Paying Advanced Members should deserve more. After all, they are the reason why this site still exists.
Advanced Members can view the thread, people with 250+ posts can view the thread, etc.
Of course moderators would need to do much more work though.
Again, this is just a random thought. So what are your opinions of this? Maybe a mod could consider this?
Middlemen will still be used.

#2 Nonewhat

Nonewhat
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:17 PM

I think overall it's a good idea. I'm a new member here still and I would defiantly buy an advance membership to use the Trading Post, even more so to know it's safer from scammers in it. It could still happen of course, but at least it would detour more away from it since they would have to work for/pay for it.

#3 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:24 PM

@Donald, you should totally put a poll up for this thread. Instead of randomly just saying -signed- on Scot's petition every time someone gets scammed, it'd be nice to actually have something resembling that to put a vote onto.

#4 Badger

Badger
  • 340 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:25 PM

Like Scot has said, I think 100 posts and having been on the site for at least a month is enough.

#5 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:27 PM

Shoot, I didn't even read the specifics since I figured he just jacked Scot's idea. 250 is too much. 100 + month = win.

#6 Guest_prizeraker_*

Guest_prizeraker_*

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:30 PM

Like Scot has said, I think 100 posts and having been on the site for at least a month is enough.

100 posts is a bit excessive

#7 fruityone

fruityone
  • 346 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:33 PM

I think this is a good idea but I think the post requirements should be kept quite low. No more than 100, maybe 50? 75? Some people only join to trade, and I think we should be able to tell from their posting styles whether someone is a returning scammer. They aren't the most intelligent of people after all.

#8 Badger

Badger
  • 340 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:36 PM

100 posts is a bit excessive

Not really. Post four times a day once you've joined, and you'll have it after a month.
Trading post access should be a privilege.

I think this is a good idea but I think the post requirements should be kept quite low. No more than 100, maybe 50? 75? Some people only join to trade, and I think we should be able to tell from their posting styles whether someone is a returning scammer. They aren't the most intelligent of people after all.

Not all scammers are stupid.
It would be silly to go only by posting style to determine if someone is a scammer or not.
Posting style is easily adjusted.

#9 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:42 PM

Not really. Post four times a day once you've joined, and you'll have it after a month.
Trading post access should be a privilege.

Not all scammers are stupid.
It would be silly to go only by posting style to determine if someone is a scammer or not.
Posting style is easily adjusted.

agreed with both of these points. I think 100 posts is a perfect number. Coupled with the 1 month before access too, gives people plenty of time to introduce themselves, post actively in the forum and reach that 100 posts whilst (hopefully) gaining rep and respect from the other members.

Edited by Strategist, 11 July 2011 - 11:43 PM.

#10 5MGEDOHC

5MGEDOHC
  • 937 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:02 AM

I think post count and time of membership should be the only factor. Not Being able to buy your way in.

#11 neobrah

neobrah
  • 534 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:04 AM

I think post count would deter most scammers :)

#12 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:05 AM

I think post count and time of membership should be the only factor. Not Being able to buy your way in.

agreed too. Whats to stop a potential scammer coming along, paying a months membership, then scam someone out of an item/np etc thats worth a lot more than the months membership cost.

#13 Guest_prizeraker_*

Guest_prizeraker_*

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:10 AM

eh :/

I feel like if I post more than I do right now I would be spamming the boards with ... my feelings I guess

#14 neobrah

neobrah
  • 534 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:12 AM

eh :/

I feel like if I post more than I do right now I would be spamming the boards with ... my feelings I guess

i would never get tired of your alison brie gifs :)

#15 iomega

iomega
  • 1070 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:37 AM

agreed with both of these points. I think 100 posts is a perfect number. Coupled with the 1 month before access too, gives people plenty of time to introduce themselves, post actively in the forum and reach that 100 posts whilst (hopefully) gaining rep and respect from the other members.

:/

That's more strict than the TP rules on a car forum I visit.

#16 Mai

Mai
  • 96 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:39 AM

I like the idea. My only worry is the discussion at the moment about the advanced membership. The admins want to get rid of the post system, since it produces spam. If you make the Trading Post 100 posts, you encourage spam again.

#17 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:05 AM

:/

That's more strict than the TP rules on a car forum I visit.

i know that justcommodores forum has a rule in place where you have to have been there for at least 3 months before getting access to the TP section.... so i dont see it as too harsh.

#18 LemonSundae

LemonSundae
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:18 AM

Wouldn't using a trusted middleman solve all these problem automatically?

#19 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:23 AM

Wouldn't using a trusted middleman solve all these problem automatically?

yeah but not everyone is that smart and they arent always readily available

#20 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:25 AM

Meh.. TBH if people want to trade without a middleman then that's their fault for getting scammed.
We have people here willing to middleman and it's just lazy and careless not to take advantage of that.
While limitations would be neat, it would NOT deter scammers.

Just recently we've seen people with even 1000 posts and a decent amount of trader rep scam members here.
Limitations will not stop it from happening if a Middleman is not used, especially in large trades.

With the new people coming in and getting scammed thing.. most of the time it's been pretty common sense not to trade with those suspicious users. :/
We can't just fix that whole problem, as there will always be new members and people that are very trusting.

I'm repeating myself here..I think limitations would be GRAND and would definitely deter lazy scammers, but we have to remember that it will not deter the smart ones or any scamming at all. Middlemen still need to be used even with limitations on the TP.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Katrinas, 12 July 2011 - 03:44 AM.

#21 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:02 AM

It pretty much comes down to just one thing.

We already have a system in place that reduces scamming by 99.9%. Every single person that has ever been scammed, has refused to use that service. Every single one of them.

We decided to put more effort into reducing scams. We added a Trader Score, so people can see that the person they are about to trade without a middleman, has never traded before.

And yet. I see time and time again. People being scammed by obvious scams, and not using a middleman.

So I ask, Why should we do more work to ensure that people do not get scammed, when they are 100% at fault for being scammed?

Nonetheless, this idea will be brought up and discussed with the Administration, as we continually try to reduce the amount of scammers on our forum, and keep the trading post safe and secure.

I would rather honestly make using a Middleman a requirement, rather then an option.

yeah but not everyone is that smart and they arent always readily available

When are they not readily available? Even if no one from the Trusted Middleman thread is not there. You can click a link and see the people with the highest middleman score/trader score, and ask that people to be your middleman.

Its people are not that smart, simple as that. Even if a middleman is not free. DO NOT TRADE UNTIL ONE IS. Are you really that desperate to make a trade that you can't hold off for a little while to save yourself from being scammed?

#22 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:09 AM

It pretty much comes down to just one thing.

We already have a system in place that reduces scamming by 99.9%. Every single person that has ever been scammed, has refused to use that service. Every single one of them.

We decided to put more effort into reducing scams. We added a Trader Score, so people can see that the person they are about to trade without a middleman, has never traded before.

And yet. I see time and time again. People being scammed by obvious scams, and not using a middleman.

So I ask, Why should we do more work to ensure that people do not get scammed, when they are 100% at fault for being scammed?

Nonetheless, this idea will be brought up and discussed with the Administration, as we continually try to reduce the amount of scammers on our forum, and keep the trading post safe and secure.

I would rather honestly make using a Middleman a requirement, rather then an option.

When are they not readily available? Even if no one from the Trusted Middleman thread is not there. You can click a link and see the people with the highest middleman score/trader score, and ask that people to be your middleman.

Its people are not that smart, simple as that. Even if a middleman is not free. DO NOT TRADE UNTIL ONE IS. Are you really that desperate to make a trade that you can't hold off for a little while to save yourself from being scammed?

a very valid point from the staffs POV. With the Middleman thing, i know that there would be people online that can help out a majority of the time. It just comes down to people being impatient and then taking stupid risks without using a middleman, and then whinging when they get scammed.

#23 Kal

Kal
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:46 AM

From what I've seen, scammers will scam. The more pitiful you are of a scammer, the longer lengths you'd take - hell, some create a few MSNs and try to pretend to be a MM and another trader at the same time. If they're willing to waste their time on that, they won't mind spamming through to get 100 posts. Example of another forum (look at the last post: http://gyazo.com/643...c177162d19a.png and once he reaches that 100 post mark - http://gyazo.com/a8f...a3b86c8a653.png - he's all done spamming).

If you want to make a post requirement, that's great as well - people can lurk to see who's unlikely to scam and is a participating member of the community. However, there still will always be scammers that aren't deterred by the post req and if implemented, people still need to have constant vigilance and caution.

In short, always use a middle man.

#24 Oxytor

Oxytor
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:59 AM

There is nothing I dislike more than people trying to stick "advanced member only" on everything. SOME people either are unable to buy it or simply don't have the spare money and quite frankly that isn't fair. I'd hardly call paying a few dollars "earning" your way. I agree that 100 posts and having to use a middleman is the best way to go, scams only happen because people aren't patient or smart enough to bother with a middleman.

#25 iomega

iomega
  • 1070 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:18 AM

Advanced only? o.O
That would stop like 3/4 of all trades...

I like the length requirement, it's the 100 posts I dislike.
100 posts isn't that hard to get. And tbh more people (me included) would trust someone with 100 posts more than someone with 0.

At least now, it isn't hard to spot (most) scammers... newbie accounts with a handful of posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users