21 replies to this topic

#1 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:01 AM

The Concept:
Through data gathering, Neopets' random dailies can be assessed for patterns and predicted overall payouts. Included projects are as follows:

The Faerie Caverns:
Spoiler

The Wheel of Excitement
Spoiler

Expellibox

Spoiler

The Wheel of Extravagance

Spoiler

The Item Key (suggested read)

Spoiler

FAQS
Where Are The Other Pages?
If you're asking this, you're welcome:
Spoiler

What happens in (square, column, row)?
Look for comments, I scattered them in appropriate places throughout the book
Posted Image

Have Multiple Accounts?
I suggest not doing dailies on multiple accounts, but if you're determined to do so and collect the data, then I suggest creating multiple copies of the spreadsheet, one for each account.

How To Share This Data:
All you have to do is upload your saved spreadsheet somewhere (Mediafire is a good free option) and drop me a PM letting me know where I can download it. I'll incorporate your statistics into my findings.

When To Share This Data:
Sharing too soon would leave me with a large pile of submissions, and waiting too long would exclude your data from updates. Please send either at the end of the month or when you reach 100+ spins on an individual page.

XLSX?
I have MSOffice 2007 installed on my computer, so that's what I used to make this. If there's demand for a different format (aka "Some features don't work when I use this in xxx program"), I'll make sure to cater to those willing to help gather data.

The Sheet Is Protected?
Yes, mostly because I don't want anyone to accidentally mess with the coding. Everything that you should really need to edit are unlocked. While I did protect the sheet, there is no password on it, so if you really want to unlock it and look at the nuts and bolts of it, you're welcome to.

The Future Of This Project:
I'd like to think of this as a work in progress. Here's where I can foresee it going in the near future (in no particular order):
-Adding additional dailies to track
-Statistical release
-Possible release in another spreadsheet format (Dependent on demand)
-Maybe one day getting involved with the programming team again to make a daily doer? :D

Updates:
8/15/2011 - (V 0.1) Initial release
8/15/2011 - (V 0.2) Updated to include Wheel of Excitement
8/19/2011 - (V 0.3) Expellibox and Wheel of Extravagance added, function upgrades/updates, central itemdb added, visual updates, cell comments

Questions? Comments? Discuss.

Attached Files

#2 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:05 AM

This is a really well thought out project. I would love to see the results on this.

For starters can you please link us to the caverns :p I know nothing about it :p

#3 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:57 AM

This is a really well thought out project. I would love to see the results on this.

For starters can you please link us to the caverns :p I know nothing about it :p

Someone added them to the Neoalerts and I know it wasn't me because I can't do it anymore :c

Added a link to the daily description, will add a bit about potential prizes.

#4 Senrath

Senrath
  • 305 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:48 PM

Is the reference to the Wheel of Excitement intentional?

#5 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:49 PM

Is the reference to the Wheel of Excitement intentional?

Yes, the newest version I just uploaded has a page devoted to gathering data from the Wheel of Excitement.

#6 Mai

Mai
  • 96 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:12 PM

Thank you for creating this. I can't wait to see the results. Let me know if I can help with anything.

#7 Jaws

Jaws
  • 538 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:32 PM

Sweet, seems like I'll be lurking this topic for the next days :)

#8 Kyouma

Kyouma
  • 496 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:45 PM

Somebody else wanted to gather data on the wheel of excitement. I guess you found a better/easier way to gather data.

If the neocodex programmers would make a program that did all the dailies for you, it would make your job of gathering data alot easier. Like what they did for Bagatelle.
Though ^ does seem like a lot of work.

#9 iamlost26

iamlost26
  • 563 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:48 PM

I'm not down for performing dailies for the purpose of trying to win NP, but I'll do it for the sake of science.

#10 iomega

iomega
  • 1070 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:51 AM

This seems like a great idea, i'll try to remember to do it lol

Would you be able to add the Qasalan Expellibox as well? I would love to see how often the NC prize is awarded.

Hmm I just noticed that it isn't available on Neoalerts...
Woops, There it is xD

Edited by iomega, 17 August 2011 - 02:55 AM.

#11 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:55 AM

This seems like a great idea, i'll try to remember to do it lol

Would you be able to add the Qasalan Expellibox as well? I would love to see how often the NC prize is awarded.

Hmm I just noticed that it isn't available on Neoalerts...

I was actually planning on adding that next. I should have a new version up with an addition or two later today :3

#12 unworthy

unworthy
  • 602 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:58 PM

just make sure that you are only accepting data from reliable people. I wouldn't accept any data till after you have done it a hundred times or so because then you will be able to see if they are way out of wack with your own.

#13 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:20 AM

just make sure that you are only accepting data from reliable people. I wouldn't accept any data till after you have done it a hundred times or so because then you will be able to see if they are way out of wack with your own.

I'm keeping all the data separate until I have enough raw data on my own to make a baseline for submissions :3

#14 ZKK

ZKK
  • 331 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:54 AM

cool I'll participate :3 Other dailies I'd be interested in seeing data for: Coltzan Shrine (how often does it train/improve your pet) & Scratchcards

#15 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:26 AM

cool I'll participate :3 Other dailies I'd be interested in seeing data for: Coltzan Shrine (how often does it train/improve your pet) & Scratchcards

Shrine:
Any tester would have to use a pet with level <20. IIRC, there is an inverse relationship between pet level and odds of payout bottoming out at about level 20. Other than that though, I was pretty sure it was partially linked to time of submission? I'd consider this if it were a program gathering all the relevant data (pet level, exact time of submission).

Scratchcards:
The limiting factor on this one is the inherent randomness of not knowing what is under unscratched spaces, thus making it difficult to know precisely what the card COULD HAVE won. Still would be worth collecting the data if it were in a program, though.

That said, I would definitely include both if/when I get a chance to actually make a daily doer :3

Note: Working on an update to the spreadsheet to include Expellibox, Wheel of Extravagance, and an Item Database tab (so prize items can be stored on just the one page instead of spreading them across all the pages). Details coming soon ^_^

Update: V 0.3 of the spreadsheet is now available.

New features:
-Separate page for item pricing included
-Wheel of Extravagance added
-Expellibox added
-Visual updates
-Code updates
-Comments added to some labels to provide info and make them easier to understand

#16 ZKK

ZKK
  • 331 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:05 AM

Shrine:
Any tester would have to use a pet with level <20. IIRC, there is an inverse relationship between pet level and odds of payout bottoming out at about level 20. Other than that though, I was pretty sure it was partially linked to time of submission? I'd consider this if it were a program gathering all the relevant data (pet level, exact time of submission).

Scratchcards:
The limiting factor on this one is the inherent randomness of not knowing what is under unscratched spaces, thus making it difficult to know precisely what the card COULD HAVE won. Still would be worth collecting the data if it were in a program, though.

That said, I would definitely include both if/when I get a chance to actually make a daily doer :3

Note: Working on an update to the spreadsheet to include Expellibox, Wheel of Extravagance, and an Item Database tab (so prize items can be stored on just the one page instead of spreading them across all the pages). Details coming soon ^_^

Update: V 0.3 of the spreadsheet is now available.

New features:
-Separate page for item pricing included
-Wheel of Extravagance added
-Expellibox added
-Visual updates
-Code updates
-Comments added to some labels to provide info and make them easier to understand

Cool :o this will be very interesting if enough people participate
I didn't know that about the Shrine though. No wonder Coltzan almost never seemed to affect my BD pet :unsure:

Edited by ZKK, 19 August 2011 - 05:06 AM.

#17 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:42 AM

*Data gathering bump*

Anybody else have suggestions on what should be added or tracked?

#18 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:00 AM

I've been tracking Wheel of Excitement and faerie caverns. I'm not sure about how possible it is but what about tracking Anchor Management? It seems that a lot of people would be interested in finding out the frequency of release for higher end items.

I guess we'd have to find out what all the possible items given away are.

#19 Kyouma

Kyouma
  • 496 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:06 PM

*Data gathering bump*

Anybody else have suggestions on what should be added or tracked?

Buried treasure would be nice. I don't know if people include it in their dailies though. Apple Bobbing too, as well as the Grundo.

#20 sLAUGHTER

sLAUGHTER
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 490 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:05 PM

Those headers damn well better be frozen.

#21 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:51 AM

I'm not sure about how possible it is but what about tracking Anchor Management?

Anchor Management would be easy, simply enter the item received :p

And now with the integrated item page, adding a new item to the list is supah easy :p

I might incorporate this later today after I wake up... XD

Buried treasure would be nice. I don't know if people include it in their dailies though. Apple Bobbing too, as well as the Grundo.

This one's hard to track because it's not a luck game, so gathering statistics would be rough. If we had a program with networked searching, though? That would be boss.

Those headers damn well better be frozen.

I locked everything except the data entry fields. Everything else is there so that the user can receive instant feedback on their stats.

Nothing's there to stop them from going and unprotecting everything, though... but why would they? If they really want to know what functions I used, they're more than welcome to check. It's basic Excel shit... :3

#22 willy101

willy101
  • 337 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:50 PM

well the wheel of extravagance is kicking my ass how are you going to compile all the data in the end? wouldn't a google doc be more worthwhile?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users