• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 onlyme

onlyme
  • I hate everyone.

• 4319 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:34 AM

For others wishing to comment, I do hope that you can also be constructive in criticism and that this doesnt get ruined (and therefor made pointless with the reasoning lost) by senseless hate and/or mod bashing.

since i unfortunately can't, just let me say thank you for sharing some of my thoughts and verbalizing them in a non offensive way. +rep.

#2 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:40 AM

If anybody thinks a thread would be better in a different location they just need to report it, sometimes threads can develop from something suitable to one location to something completely different which would be better in a different section or threads can just be overlooked by staff accidentally. Help the staff out by reporting those things to bring them to their attention. ;)

#3 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:55 AM

Sometimes threads get missed, while others do not. If you see a thread that we missed, please report it. On the issue of the Random Picture thread, I myself have reported that thread before I was a moderator, and nothing happened. It does indeed belong somewhere else, and I will move it. Digital Camera Games are specifically meant for Neocodex members and not random pictures of people. The signatures issue was that internet was verbally warned multiple times for his signature problems, so he received a warn. On the issue of multiple threads in the warn section, those are just technical errors that I made. I am still a relatively new moderator, so I make mistakes sometimes. The warning system may be tweaked later, but for now, the warning section will stay the same. (besides the mistake that was pointed out) I am on my tablet at school, so I will deal with the majority of the issues later today

#4 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:29 AM

I've frequented countless forums over the last 10 years and one thing I have noticed is that there is always an increased period of moderation immediately following the induction of a new moderator. Reasons for this may include that person trying to prove themselves by acting on marginal moderation decisions a more experienced moderator would normally ignore. Now to be fair, they made be simply enforcing the rules that are already on the books that someone else should have done but to be general, I think this is what part of the reason for the trend you have noticed. In response to warnings, Internet deserves ten times the punishment he actually got. I've never seen someone try so hard to be annoying and only getting a warning. In my opinion, Sweeney tells it like it is and deserves to have his warning removed and an apology.

Toxic: The point of soul's screenshot was to juxtapose your warning of Internet's signature and your own banner ads of a sig.

Btw don't take this personally, with all things considered I think you are doing a fantastic job given the bottlenecks this forum has.

#5 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:32 AM

I've frequented countless forums over the last 10 years and one thing I have noticed is that there is always an increased period of moderation immediately following the induction of a new moderator. Reasons for this may include that person trying to prove themselves by acting on marginal moderation decisions a more experienced moderator would normally ignore. Now to be fair, they made be simply enforcing the rules that are already on the books that someone else should have done but to be general, I think this is what part of the reason for the trend you have noticed. In response to warnings, Internet deserves ten times the punishment he actually got. I've never seen someone try so hard to be annoying and only getting a warning. In my opinion, Sweeney tells it like it is and deserves to have his warning removed and an apology.

You really don't have to look any further than this site to approve of your theory. It doesn't even have to be strictly mods, when anyone is promoted to any rank that shows potential authority, discipline etc. they will try their hardest effort to prove they deserve it. In Toxic's case I spoke to him myself already in a quick chat. Every thing he has done now has been by the book so no one should really be mad at him. Here lies within the problem and the reason for this topic, moderation inconsistency. In my opinion this has been a major issue at times, minor now; many people most definitely including myself get away scot free from certain situations and because of this they believe they can roam freely. The two previous posts here suggest we should be helping out the mods by reporting things, because as humans they are bound to miss things and make mistakes. Fine. I agree 100%. I still believe the rules should be edited to be more lenient or they need to be enforced completely.

Kudos to SS for making this topic. Possibly too early or too late at this point, I fear this thread will be disregarded however.

#6 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:39 AM

I still believe the rules should be edited to be more lenient or they need to be enforced completely.

We've always used the rules as a guide rather than following them to the letter, rightly in my opinion.

#7 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:02 AM

We've always used the rules as a guide rather than following them to the letter, rightly in my opinion.

Is that a widely known opinion though, Waser? Perhaps if everyone knew this it would be much harder to criticise any of the mods.

#8 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:08 AM

Is that a widely known opinion though, Waser? Perhaps if everyone knew this it would be much harder to criticise any of the mods.

It's widely known by me at least.

#9 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:39 PM

This pretty much comes down to the Administration and their absence most recently. The few people who did have moderator privileges wanted to use their power as little as possible, as they were not promoted specifically to mod, and thus they chose to just handle reports and leave the forum to moderate itself, unless things got out of hand.

When a person was promoted to actually moderate, this left him with the task of dealing with everything, while the administration was still away. Shadowlink64 should be back, hopefully, and everything can get back on track.

#10 Blackout

Blackout
  • 411 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:17 PM

Warnings being given
Whilst not exactly my place to comment about how warnings are given and staff do have final word, I'm surely not the only one who has noticed some (possibly) unecessary warnings which seem to have been given for the hell of it. My biggest gripe is with a warning given by moderator ToxicS to user "MissTrollnisha" due to her signature size. As words cannot adequately explain why I have an issue with this, I am providing you with a screenshot and hopefully you are also sensible enough to see my problem with this warning.

Thank you! I felt they over reacted 100%. I do not have an online ruler, so therefore I don't know how 'big' my signature are suppose to be.

I feel one moderator has given out a bunch of unnecessary warnings, just to look like he is doing his job as the moderator <_<

Toxic: The point of soul's screenshot was to juxtapose your warning of Internet's signature and your own banner ads of a sig.

Btw don't take this personally, with all things considered I think you are doing a fantastic job given the bottlenecks this forum has.

Exactly!

I felt they were watching me 24/7 at that point and warned me for anything.

I am glad I am not the only one that feels they are trying to prove themselves. Some of this stuff is just too much.....

#11 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:18 PM

Thank you! I felt they over reacted 100%. I do not have an online ruler, so therefore I don't know how 'big' my signature are suppose to be.

I feel one moderator has given out a bunch of unnecessary warnings, just to look like he is doing his job as the moderator <_<

Exactly!

I am glad I am not the only one that feels they are trying to prove themselves. Some of this stuff is just too much.....

Please consider your concerns filed and ignored.

#12 Blackout

Blackout
  • 411 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:32 PM

Please consider your concerns filed and ignored.

This is exactly why someone needed to make this thread.

#13 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:34 PM

I'm not a Moderator.

#14 Blackout

Blackout
  • 411 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:36 PM

I'm not a Moderator.

I never said I was talking about you :whistling:
I'm pretty sure more staff members probably hate me.

#15 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:38 PM

Hate is a very strong word, I doubt any staff members care enough about you to actually hate you.

#16 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:18 PM

The moderators are supposed to dissolve disruptions, not cause them.
When things mysteriously disappear for no apparent reason, or get closed before people have had their say... especially if it happens before I get to respond with a hilarious animated gif, it's frustrating.

#17 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:32 PM

..especially if it happens before I get to respond with a hilarious animated gif, it's frustrating.

dis x 10000

Posted Image

#18 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:50 PM

Exactly!

Stating that you are not intelligent enough to find out the size of an image, is probably the worst possible excuse you could come up with, and its not even an valid excuse.

Also, I'm not sure why you said "exactly" to Scot, as he said you deserved it. He actually said we are being too nice to you.

#19 Dazz

Dazz
  • Musicyclopedia

• 3242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:41 PM

I wouldn't say it's just staff that hates you. Also, it's hard for someone in power to be perfect with every decision, if theres something you don't agree with in a mods decision then don't just bash 'em, tell 'em and work it out.

Edited by Red Chaos, 30 August 2011 - 04:44 PM.

#20 Kyouma

Kyouma
  • 496 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:02 PM

This is an overreaction. Not on the moderators side, but on the people complaining and pointing fingers.

Threads being moved
This to be honest is one of my biggest gripes. If moderators want to lay down the law and tidy up the forums, that's all well and good... but in doing so, I think it should be CONSISTENT effort instead of an 'as we please'.

Examples of such are;
Random Picture Thread posted in General chat should be moved to Jokes and Fun Stuff subforum.
Hottest Generic Codex Member thread was moved from General Chat to Digital Camera Games subforum whilst both Hot and Cute Girls, Attractive Men were left in the main General Chat forum. I understand that not all of these pictures were/are taken of Codex members, however they are still for the most part, 'Digital Pictures'
Sorry to Brag was moved from General Chat (thread regarding user buying/selling HP touchpads) to Hardware and Software Discussion subforum whilst a moderator had posted in, without moving, the previous thread regarding the availability/sale of the HP Touchpads which still remains in General Chat (Anyone buy a HP Touchpad)
What happened to all of the fun pc games remains in general chat, whilst topics on games have (multiple times) been moved to General Entertainment subforum.

This is your opinion. Moderators may think differently then you (shocker).
Besides. Not everybody can catch everything 100% of the time. They have more jobs than just moving topics around.

I'm also curious as to why the same moderator created 2 seperate warn threads for user Sweeney (Yes, I do understand that Sweeney is speshul), when in 100% of other cases, additional warnings are added to the ORIGINAL thread and the thread is bumped.

Has Toxic ever added bumped warning threads with an additional warning? Sweeney is his first time. Give him a break, or PM him telling him he's made a mistake.

Did you expect Toxic to come in acting the same as all the other moderators? Why do you think a new moderator was needed? Because the current level wasn't enough.

Besides, I think the new moderator has been doing a wonderful job since he's been promoted.

I've frequented countless forums over the last 10 years and one thing I have noticed is that there is always an increased period of moderation immediately following the induction of a new moderator.

Its less "trying to prove himself" and more "figuring out his limits". There's a learning curve to the job.

Edited by Kyouma, 30 August 2011 - 06:13 PM.

#21 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:48 PM

I knew it! Posted Image

I'm invising all this bullshit (including the annoying GIFs by Blackout and Skrillex). Keep the topic serious if you want us to do something about it.

*still reading*

If anybody thinks a thread would be better in a different location they just need to report it, sometimes threads can develop from something suitable to one location to something completely different which would be better in a different section or threads can just be overlooked by staff accidentally. Help the staff out by reporting those things to bring them to their attention. ;)

Yes, this. The moderators don't have eyes and ears everywhere, and reporting is not a difficult thing to do.

#22 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:04 PM

I started reporting big sigs, to which I get a PM from a mod asking me if I'm having fun, and then I get my sig edited to a 551 pixels wide banner and after re.reading the sig policy, to a 1051 pixels wide one. Sure it may be considered as a joke, but it seems to me like staff got annoyed once I started reporting that shit...

#23 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:16 PM

Can we just say it straight up? No one even cares about signature sizes, but people, not only mods, were just looking for reasons to knock internet down a few pegs. Sure if we made enough of a ruckus we could have demanded Toxic shrink his sig.

Does anyone actually care? no.

Unless that person has a personal grudge against toxic.

#24 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:19 PM

The sig shit started not because of Internet/toxic, but because of Jake(I think it was him, not sure...)

#25 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:25 PM

The sig shit started not because of Internet/toxic, but because of Jake(I think it was him, not sure...)

Well the point I was trying to make was that people only report if they care. Most people don't care about wrong sectioned threads (I only care if anything neopets related is put into the general chat) or signatures unless the user is a twat. I know I'm more inclined to report a post for whatever reason if I dislike the person.

that being said I rarely report anything that isn't blatantly breaking the rules like an adbot or mentioning USD or sum shit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users