Photo

Smoking marajuana when pregnant

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
85 replies to this topic

#1 pixi

pixi
  • 110 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:42 AM

So I got pregnant at the very end of march. Post pregnancy I was 96 pounds, and dropped to 86 due to my morning sickness. In general, my eating habits are HORRIBLE. Pregnancy only amplified that problem...Come to think of it...I'm 6 months and still 96 pounds. :|

Ever since I found out I have not stopped smoking. I don't smoke 10 blunts a day, just one or two shared with my boyfriend every day.
My sickness was so bad in the beginning, literally nothing would help me eat/sleep/keep food down. It really helped relax me, mellow me out and most importantly get me to eat. No other medication got me to eat.

I enjoyed smoking in general, and needless to say I do feel like I'm psychologically addicted, but at the same time I voluntarily smoke. I gave up a lot of things for this child already, there's something about the pot I can't let go. I go for regular check ups and the baby seems like its doing better than me! I got a full in depth test done that viewed the anatomy of the baby, both in blood work and ultrasounds. Everything is perfect each time.

People just assume that since cigs have a negative effect on the baby, pot will too. I have done MY OWN research and from everything i've gathered, i made the personal decision to continue smoking. I will probably continue until my 7th month or so.

What do you guys think on this?

#2 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:47 AM

I weep for your child

#3 pixi

pixi
  • 110 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:49 AM

thanks for the half witty input!

/noted

#4 enigmaticarc

enigmaticarc
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:51 AM

Me too. But hey, if you've done 'research' everything should be fine. Keep it up~

#5 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:53 AM

Fuck tha hatas, smoke trees~

#6 pixi

pixi
  • 110 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:06 PM

Well, I don't know why research is in quotes. because i did do ALOT of research and i did more than look up information on google. I had a few resources...

This is one of them.

http://patients4medi...melanie-dreher/

You never hear, "Oh man look how disfigured/fucked up/damaged/etc that child is because his mother smoked marijuana!

I'm not doing GOOD for the baby when I'm smoking but I really think that the media has brainwashed people into thinking that since cigarettes cause harm, auto. so does marajuana. and it doesnt help that its illegal.

if pot was known for causing severe brain damage, or other unthinkable things to a child, i would have stopped a long time ago. But I've read and heard enough to make a final decision to keep doing what I do until when I plan to stop.

Fuck tha hatas, smoke trees~

you look like the tree smoking type ;)

i had a feeling you would post in here for some reason.

See also:

Posted Image

#7 enigmaticarc

enigmaticarc
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:08 PM

Well, I don't know why research is in quotes. because i did do ALOT of research and i did more than look up information on google. I had a few resources...

This is one of them.

You never hear, "Oh man look how disfigured/fucked up/damaged/etc that child is because his mother smoked marijuana!

I'm not doing GOOD for the baby when I'm smoking but I really think that the media has brainwashed people into thinking that since cigarettes cause harm, auto. so does marajuana. and it doesnt help that its illegal.

if pot was known for causing severe brain damage, or other unthinkable things to a child, i would have stopped a long time ago. But I've read and heard enough to make a final decision to keep doing what I do until when I plan to stop.

you look like the tree smoking type ;)

i had a feeling you would post in here for some reason.

The link you gave me is a website for legalizing weed, which means information could be biased. BUT, from what I've read, this Dr. Dreher is saying that she "'had written extensively on the benefits of smoking marijuana while smoking pregnant" (Bottom of the page). If that's the case and you've done your research, why are you waiting until the 7th month to stop? Toke up forever~ :D

Edited by enigmaticarc, 31 August 2011 - 12:09 PM.

#8 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:08 PM

Marijuana has never been directly implicated in any deaths as have both alcohol and cigarettes (both of which are legal). For that fact alone, I think it should be legalized. However, personally, I dont think I'd continue to smoke pot knowing I was pregnant just for ethical reasons. For those 9ish months, that baby is completely dependent on the mother for all forms of sustenance as well as bodily functions and I would never want it on my conscience if something went wrong. HOWEVER, I'm not your mother and I'm not going to tell you what's right and what's wrong. If you chose to continue smoking, that's your choice, but its also on you if anything goes wrong with the pregnancy

#9 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:10 PM

This is one of them.

Perhaps if they taught you this in school....

bi·as   [bahy-uhs]
a particular tendency or inclination, especially one that prevents unprejudiced consideration of a question; prejudice.

#10 pixi

pixi
  • 110 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:13 PM

The link you gave me is a website for legalizing weed, which means information could be biased. BUT, from what I've read, this Dr. Dreher is saying that she "'had written extensively on the benefits of smoking marijuana while smoking pregnant" (Bottom of the page). If that's the case and you've done your research, why are you waiting until the 7th month to stop? Toke up forever~ :D

lol! cause by the 7th or 8th month i'm gonna be soooo busy & will have to have extra money on the side too :X

Perhaps if they taught you this in school....

bi·as   [bahy-uhs]
a particular tendency or inclination, especially one that prevents unprejudiced consideration of a question; prejudice.

hey listen, i've been on forum sites for years. i know how everything works. I'm assuming you're a regular or something because of how snide you are towards me right off of the bat, the pretentious attitude, etc. I may smoke pot, but I'm not dumb. I have an extensive vocabulary and I've known what the word "biased" means for years. If you actually read the site, you can tell it's not a rinky dink site made up by tree loving 20 year olds. I'm just trying to prove that smoking pot while pregnant isn't a death wish for my kid.

#11 Splice

Splice
  • ShadowLink64's Husband

• 114 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:15 PM

*cough* troll *cough*

#12 pixi

pixi
  • 110 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:19 PM

Marijuana has never been directly implicated in any deaths as have both alcohol and cigarettes (both of which are legal). For that fact alone, I think it should be legalized. However, personally, I dont think I'd continue to smoke pot knowing I was pregnant just for ethical reasons. For those 9ish months, that baby is completely dependent on the mother for all forms of sustenance as well as bodily functions and I would never want it on my conscience if something went wrong. HOWEVER, I'm not your mother and I'm not going to tell you what's right and what's wrong. If you chose to continue smoking, that's your choice, but its also on you if anything goes wrong with the pregnancy

I admit, I do feel a little guilty but obviously not guilty enough. If the kid winds up having ADHD, or ADD thats all my fault. Whatever happens, is on me.

*cough* troll *cough*

Who? The guy with all the smart remarks towards me?

lol don't feed him

#13 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:22 PM

hey listen, i've been on forum sites for years. i know how everything works. I'm assuming you're a regular or something because of how snide you are towards me right off of the bat, the pretentious attitude, etc. I may smoke pot, but I'm not dumb. I have an extensive vocabulary and I've known what the word "biased" means for years. If you actually read the site, you can tell it's not a rinky dink site made up by tree loving 20 year olds. I'm just trying to prove that smoking pot while pregnant isn't a death wish for my kid.

You are not helping your case by "assuming" I am a regular, when I have 10k posts, and am a programmer for the site. I'm also not being snide towards you. You asked my opinion and I gave it. Because my opinion disagrees with yours, you automatically think that I'm being pretentious. I did read the topic, and given that I saw no scientific studies being taken place, and no documents or linking to these studies, I immediately dismissed it as being invalid. It is something that they taught me in school, when doing research always look for the source to ensure the data is valid. Did you know that they also claim that Jesus was healed by Cannabis? http://patients4medi...s-study-shows/.

Anyways. I've stopped caring. Best of luck with your future endeavors.

#14 pixi

pixi
  • 110 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:26 PM

There is no scientific studies proving or disproving that pot does anything to a fetus. And if you program for this site, you're going to have an ego. no matter what. It doesn't matter, you can disagree, thats part of the debate, but its how you say things and how you come across, which is why you were just called a troll. "perhaps if they taught you in school..." come on now.

/feeds you

#15 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:39 PM

http://www.babycente...illegaldrugs/#2

While there's little medical evidence on the direct effects of marijuana in pregnancy, several studies have associated regular use of the drug with fetal growth retardation and low birthweight.

Haven't you mentioned that you aren't gaining weight?

/owns you

Edited by Drakonid, 31 August 2011 - 12:40 PM.

#16 tak1968

tak1968
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:42 PM

As a mother of 4, i am amazed at the nonchalant attitude you have taken to this pot smoking crap. You seem to think that just because nothing has been reported negatively about any effects thats it's ok. No matter how you suger-coat it, pot is still illegal and slows down brain function.

And i bet once the baby is here, you will continue to roll one with your "boyfriend", exposing said baby to secondhand smoke as well (THAT, proven, is almost or just as bad as actual smoking, doesnt matter the substance).

And, your "boyfriend" thinks this behavior is acceptable as well? His brain is just as fried as yours. Are you THAT addicted to it that you need it? As for your weight, there are meds out there that can help with weight gain, or are you scared you may end up in the hospital for obervation and you dont want that because you cant get your fix?

You posted in a forum for others' thoughts, and im giving you mine.

Thank god i cannot track you down, i would report the abuse on your child in a heartbeat.

#17 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:44 PM

I wouldn't during pregnancy for moral and ethical reasons, but also that the act of smoking (whether it be marijuana or cigs) can damage your lungs and airway. Your baby also gets the same nutrients and chemicals as you do, so I wouldn't feel right about that. I don't really care what "research" is out there because I have a brain on my head and would do what I think is right for my baby. Marijuana is also illegal, so there's that. I don't agree with the law, but I wouldn't risk getting caught over something so silly. The hospital I am currently working at drug tests the mothers periodically for all kinds of things, not just illegal drugs. I guess this area might be more strict, but be careful. Also if you are really addicted to smoking pot as you say then you do need help, I'm not kidding around. No matter how safe pot can be an addiction is NEVER a good thing. Everything in moderation.. I do feel sorry for your child, but that's my own personal opinion. You can raise your baby however you like and that's your business, but you have to realize that people will judge you. So I wouldn't go around saying that you smoked a lot of pot during your pregnancy, lol. Anyways, I wish your baby well

#18 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:48 PM

Apparently my mom smoked pot while she was pregnant with me. And I turned out ok?

/unscientific

Man... when she told me, I told her I was disappointed in her. Think about that.

#19 Badger

Badger
  • 340 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:56 PM

What I'm wondering is why you are asking for other people's opinions when you have clearly already decided that you will smoke pot during pregnancy.
What are you trying to achieve?

Yes, your child may be being damaged in ways that research may not have detected yet. No, we cannot stop you smoking pot.
I personally wouldn't do anything that even had a *small* chance of damaging my baby during pregnancy.
But to each her own.

#20 Maloo

Maloo
  • 445 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:09 PM

*cough* troll *cough*

*cough*possibly Maha*cough*

#21 Frank274

Frank274
  • 2051 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:06 PM

Tests now won't be able to see what kind of mental development problems your baby may have in the future. You're an idiot and I hope your child grows up being disappointed in you.

You're playing with the odds. There may be cases where nothing happened to the child, but there is always the flip side (same as if you drank alcohol while preggo). Good luck, do what you want, but when your child hates you, I'll sit here and laugh.

#22 RubberBand

RubberBand
  • 92 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:16 PM

Saying you've done research on this topic then posting a link to a free wordpress blog just demonstrates that you don't understand what research is. What you're actually engaging in is confirmation bias - you want to keep smoking weed, so you look for 'facts' to back up what you want to believe.

Smoking marijuana increases the risk of:

Small birthweight (which carries with it a long list of adverse health outcomes for a baby)
Preterm birth (as above)
Affects the development of your child's nervous system
Your child having short term memory loss and/or concentration issues

These are the effects I know off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more though. Just because it doesn't cause obvious birth defects doesn't mean it's not harmful to your baby.

Think about it logically. The THC in marijuana affects the brain. It does the same to the baby. The baby's brain is still developing, and it's well known that chemicals that only mildly affect a fully grown adult have a greater effect on a child or baby who is still growing new cells.

It would be one thing if you were an occasional smoker. But because you use it every day, it accumulates in your body and doesn't leave, so your baby is being constantly exposed to it via your bloodstream.

#23 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:42 PM

Disregard iargue...back and forth with him gets you no where.

Have you told your doctors that you still smoke pot? If so what was their advice, whatever they tell I'd listen to them. Tell them about your problems, they'll do their best to help you. You say it gets you to eat and that's one of the reasons you're still going. What else have you tried to increase your appetite? To keep yourself relaxed and mellow you should try other alternatives.

In the least you should cut back as much as possible and try edibles instead. I imagine less smoke in your lungs means more oxygen for the baby. 9 months is a short time, I think you should've put more commitment into quitting during your pregnancy.

#24 Sunset

Sunset
  • 699 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:17 PM

im a mom and honestly I don`t feel its right for the simple fact it can kill brain cells so what would it do to your unborn. Yes some studies show something other studies say its fine but really they don`t know how much of the substance can be harmful just like drinking... ok im blabbing point is the baby maybe fine or may not develop mentally. Its your body its your baby its 2 lives, think wisely go to a doctor and talk to them about it as for the morning sickness they have pills with little pregnant women on them for morning sickness I had them... anyways gl nuff said from me

#25 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:29 PM

Completely agree with melchoire, in substance and style. Arguing with iargue (ironic) will get shoot a conversation dead in the water as he's dogmatic approach to debate is flawed and condescending. He knows that, you know that, we know that.

Personally, I agree to an extent to what you're saying. The obvious positive outcomes are a benefit if you're feeling more calmed and relaxed and it's helping. Let's be honest though, and you even admitted, it won't do the baby any good.

Anything carcinogenic will harm development and growth in a baby seeing as anything burned can be classed as cancerous. This in my eyes wipe out the positive side affects of weed and you're main priority is/should be your child. Everything, and I mean everything, will come after.

I appreciate you've done "research" but it doesn't cut it. I don't mean to sound like a dick but you can find various news articles or studies verifying any point if you want. Talk to doctors/GPs, read proper books, talk to people with experience or professionals.

You're obviously not a stupid girl so you know what needs to be done, and maybe you're just looking for others to reinforce those points. Ditch the weed, talk to your doctors and concentrate on your baby. If anything, vaporise as this I believe causes less strain/damage to your lungs.

I'd wait for Cody to pop in as he's expertised in drug/use and chemical reactions.

Anyway, good luck with it all. Just think, it could worse, you could end up with a huge disappointment for a son.

Edited by ShadowLink64, 31 August 2011 - 11:15 PM.
Keep the insults out of here, as that is flaming. - SL64

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users