Quantcast

Photo

SOTW #14 VOTING!!!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
114 replies to this topic

Poll: SOTW #14 (46 member(s) have cast votes)

Which sig is your favorite?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#26 Blissey

Blissey
  • 581 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:50 PM

There should be a better set of guidelines for the SOTW. The rules are too loose as it is. About half of the "signatures" up there are too big to even be called signatures inthe first place.

#27 Juturna

Juturna
  • 400 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:58 PM

Number 11 is still doing poorly. Oh gosh. this upsets me. it's just a nice signature. =/

I'm going to get things thrown at my head. But I've been holding this in for too long, so idgaf. *braces shield*

I'm looking at the vote distributions and really? I can understand #5 and #7 being up there because they're good and you can tell that the artist put work into them.I also see #10 being up there because it's simple, eye-catching, and it's a decent example of vector art (my personal favorite).
But like #3 is just a .gif taken from PandF when Candice touches the hallucinogenic moss with text over it. Yet people are voting for it.I was going to submit an entry next week, but clearly since no one really votes fairly and pretty much votes for their friends (let's not bullsh*t here, guys. I honestly don't believe people would unbiasedly pick some of these over others) or vote as a joke, I'm probably not going to.
It's also a huge insult to people who actually put in effort on their submissions.
I'm looking at last week's competition and really... "green skorcheio".

Having been a graphics nerd, and being anti-social here, this is always my problem. =/ I agree 98%, except you forgot to mention 11 as a decent entry. I always find nothing funny about the 'humorous ones. They're a joke between the members, which I'm fine with. But - why. Just why. /facepalm. It's terribly made, not funny.

and pretty much votes for their friends (let's not bullsh*t here, guys. I honestly don't believe people would unbiasedly pick some of these over others) or vote as a joke, I'm probably not going to.

Also, considering the humour/cleverness factor, apparently the green scorchio was made by a veteran member/one who knows the humour, it's practically impossible for a n00b like me to win, because I don't know what you guys find clever/humourous. Unless I come out with something that's completely amazing. (which is nope.jpg), there is absolutely no chance of me winning, simply because I don't have social footing here.

It's also a huge insult to people who actually put in effort on their submissions.

I couldn't agree more. Normally, when I enter something, the most votes I get is 3 on average. >__>

in fact i prefer simple yet stylish sigs over complicated ones

Complicated =/= talent.
simple =/= no talent.
In fact, once you get into digital graphics, you'll find overly complicated/filled to the brim visually things, usually don't look as great as simply put things. It does take a lot of time to learn how to arrange things simply, but that they shine. I've been at this for a year, and I'm still not able to do this. You can have 2093842934 layers in photoshop, but the outcome can look pure and simple.
(Indeed random, but I wanted to say that)

I should inform you that you need to get a sense of humor quick, otherwise you won't enjoy yourself here

Good luck with that. /notfunny

There should be a better set of guidelines for the SOTW. The rules are too loose as it is. About half of the "signatures" up there are too big to even be called signatures inthe first place.

600x250 should be the absolute maximum. Just sayin'

But really. Whatever floats your boat. I'm not going to really be a jerk about it, because it's not worth my time. /steps off soap box

Edited by Colours, 04 September 2011 - 02:59 PM.

#28 Mithra

Mithra
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:08 PM

Since Colours already came out with it, I'll probably just say it too. It kind of pisses me off as well how little people respect effort and would rather vote for what might be categorized as an inside joke here. (I don't find the nostril thing humorous at all, but that's probably just because I don't get it).

Placing a text box in front of a .gif is not work. It's literally 10 seconds of effort compared to the obvious hour + of some of them. It's also not ORIGINAL work. It's footage that completely belongs to Disney that someone is submitting in a competition. Last time I checked, in most art competitions, that's illegal.
I will just say that. I really wish 5,7, and 11 make it as the top 3.

Edited by Mithra, 04 September 2011 - 03:09 PM.

#29 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:20 PM

Also, considering the humour/cleverness factor, apparently the green scorchio was made by a veteran member/one who knows the humour, it's practically impossible for a n00b like me to win, because I don't know what you guys find clever/humourous. Unless I come out with something that's completely amazing. (which is nope.jpg), there is absolutely no chance of me winning, simply because I don't have social footing here.

Such a sorry ass excuse. Social footing has nothing to do with anything in this competition since we don't know who made what signature. I had no idea who made 'gren skorchieo', all I knew was it was distinctly different than anything else in that week's competition. That's why I voted for it.

I don't give a fuck about effort. I care about the final composition. You think I give a shit if you sat there for 10 hours carefully placing each pixel if my initial reaction to your completed sig is to scroll past it? I had a hard time voting in this weeks, since nothing really stood apart from the rest. So I voted for the one I found most visually appealing to me. THE HORROR!!!

It kind of pisses me off as well how little people respect effort and would rather vote for what might be categorized as an inside joke here. (I don't find the nostril thing humorous at all, but that's probably just because I don't get it).

I don't get that one either, and I'm all up in everyone's business. Maybe people voted for it because they're high. Instead of getting pissed off, maybe you should respect the fact that other people have different taste than you.

#30 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:20 PM

Well I voted for 11 so don't accuse all members for voting for "inside jokes"...

And as a rule we don't know who entered what. If you look at the past many new members have won first place/ranked in the top 3. And yes, some of those new members used humour, other used just good designing. Don't all be nay-sayers and just say that there's no point entering and bla bla bla bla. It IS for the fun so don't take it too seriously, although I realize it's frustrating if you put a lot of effort into it and don't even place.

But accusing us of cheating isn't exactly fair to us, now is it?

#31 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:27 PM

I don't know shit about the SOTW, or who makes these, or who typically wins these, but when I heard people were bitching, I had to come vote for once

And I voted for #6 because that shit is funny, and describes most of the posts in this thread (mine included)

#32 Mithra

Mithra
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:27 PM

Well I voted for 11 so don't accuse all members for voting for "inside jokes"...

And as a rule we don't know who entered what. If you look at the past many new members have won first place/ranked in the top 3. And yes, some of those new members used humour, other used just good designing. Don't all be nay-sayers and just say that there's no point entering and bla bla bla bla. It IS for the fun so don't take it too seriously, although I realize it's frustrating if you put a lot of effort into it and don't even place.

But accusing us of cheating isn't exactly fair to us, now is it?

I meant the ones who did, obviously.
I realize the competition is anonymous, but it's really not hard to tell your friends on the forum to vote for x, is it?
Competitions should be friendly, but some people like to take it seriously. That shouldn't be a bad thing. The gren skorcheio thing is whatever to me, because someone actually drew that themselves. The Candance thing? That was purely from Disney artists. To me, that really isn't acceptable as a submission to any sort of contest, unless it's like a caption contest.

If you look at it from Colour's and Xynrai's viewpoint, I can see why they'd be really disillusioned with submitting anything in the future. Who wants to lose to "gren skorcheio" or "my nostrils are whispering to me"?

Honestly, if you want people to participate. It shouldn't be that way.

Eventually people will stop entering as they don't feel that they can win, when people will absolute shit for signatures can win.

QFT.

Edited by Mithra, 04 September 2011 - 03:31 PM.

#33 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:31 PM

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Posted Image

#34 Mithra

Mithra
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:33 PM

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Posted Image

That's also pretty immature.

#35 Juturna

Juturna
  • 400 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:34 PM

Such a sorry ass excuse. Social footing has nothing to do with anything in this competition since we don't know who made what signature. I had no idea who made 'gren skorchieo', all I knew was it was distinctly different than anything else in that week's competition. That's why I voted for it.

Then please, explain to me why somebody could come up with a green scorchio and win. it makes no sense. And I wasn't talking about every single signature, but it seems a lot of the Sotw winners are based on humour, which they have, and they apparently know the members of neocodex to know that it's funny. (cause no other forums would I find people finding this funny on).

false false false.

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

your whining GIF is not helping. It's random and is really counter productive.

That's also pretty immature.

Thank you.

Well I voted for 11

let me love youuu~

Edited by Colours, 04 September 2011 - 03:36 PM.

#36 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:38 PM

simple, if you can prove that particpants are cheating by vote mongering, why not pm the organiser and they can look into it. I dont appreciate new members coming in and bashing on others just because they may 'have more skill etc' get off your high horses

#37 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:40 PM

It was a gif that represents how much you are crying because the sig you want to win isn't winning. Not random at all.

I already explained how gren skorcheo could win, in the thread of that week. I'll repost it here.

It's quite easy to understand. One could compare the winning sig to the famous and masterfully composed "Creation of Adam" by Michaelangelo. Skillful. Beautiful. Shiny and bright.
Posted Image

And on the other hand one could compare the gren skorcheio to German Expressionist Paul Klee's "Dance, Monster to my Soft Song" Simple, childlike. Interesting use of color.
(which happens to be my most favorite painting ever. I saw it in New York about 12 years ago and I cired from happiness)
Posted Image
Concerning artwork, you should never dismiss something because it is simple, or childlike, because even the 'crappiest' compositions can be endearing or bring great meaning to the viewer. Certainly there is some artwork out there that is just plain shit, but as Neopets players it's understandable some of us gravitated towards the gren skorcheio which stole our attentions from all the other signatures.

Anyhoo. Congrats to cokiwha, cyo, and blerg.

PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT TASTES. I know it's like, a totally far out concept. But it's reality.

#38 Juturna

Juturna
  • 400 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:40 PM

simple, if you can prove that particpants are cheating by vote mongering,

I don't think I accused anybody of cheating.

#39 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:42 PM

i wasnt talking about you colours

#40 Juturna

Juturna
  • 400 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:49 PM

It was a gif that represents how much you are crying because the sig you want to win isn't winning. Not random at all.

I'm cheering for it. It's a huge difference. Learn it.

PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT TASTES. I know it's like, a totally far out concept. But it's reality.

zomfg. I seriously. Cannot type now. I never said that nobody has different tastes omg. That's pathetic. I know. I know. Individuality/difference of tastes is something I extremely value in life, and you're sitting here telling ME that? oh god. I never said that. I really did never said that. Tell me, when did I say I didn't think people have different tastes. gosh.

Concerning artwork, you should never dismiss something because it is simple, or childlike, because even the 'crappiest' compositions can be endearing or bring great meaning to the viewer. Certainly there is some artwork out there that is just plain shit, but as Neopets players it's understandable some of us gravitated towards the gren skorcheio which stole our attentions from all the other signatures.

Again, s a fuckin' artist, I don't. I don't see where that arguement came from. You are again implying I do not know things I certainly know. (for instance, anime. It certainly can be taken for children cartoons, but oh no.) There are sophisticated/intended to be mature works that are pieces of shit.

If you look at it from Colour's and Xynrai's viewpoint, I can see why they'd be really disillusioned with submitting anything in the future. Who wants to lose to "gren skorcheio" or "my nostrils are whispering to me"?

Yup. Yup. This. ^

i wasnt talking about you colours

I'm sorry. D:

Edited by Colours, 04 September 2011 - 03:53 PM.

#41 Mithra

Mithra
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:53 PM

You can assign 1000 reasons to why you would vote for something like that, but I'm just gonna go out on a whim here and I'm going to say that most people are doing it "for the luls" or just because its funny. And if you deny that, you're full of sh**.

I'm also not accusing anybody. I'm saying, I see where Xynrai might get that from and it's really not hard to rule out as a possibility. I also don't appreciate oldfags thinking they have some sort of 1 UP over new members. Get off YOUR high horse.

Edited by Mithra, 04 September 2011 - 04:01 PM.

#42 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:56 PM

but its still insinuating that people are possibly cheating.

#43 Juturna

Juturna
  • 400 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:57 PM

You can assign 1000 reasons to why you would vote for something like that, but I'm just gonna go out on a whim here and I'm going to say that most people are doing it "for the luls" or just because its funny. And if you deny that, you're full of sh**.

I seriously, am out of ideas at this point, but this exactly what I've been trying to say. Congratulations, you've officially said what I couldn't phrase correctly. orz. /hands cookie

but its still insinuating that people are possibly cheating.

possibly cheating =/=cheating

Edited by Colours, 04 September 2011 - 03:58 PM.

#44 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:58 PM

oh dont get me started mithra. You do know flaming will get you into trouble here dont you?

#45 Mithra

Mithra
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:59 PM

oh dont get me started mithra. You do know flaming will get you into trouble here dont you?

I merely turned what you said against you.
You just basically said because Colours and I are new here, our opinions matter less.

Edited by Mithra, 04 September 2011 - 04:00 PM.

#46 Juturna

Juturna
  • 400 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:00 PM

He's just being blunt about it. I'm not surprised.

#47 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:01 PM

Again, s a fuckin' artist, I don't. I don't see where that arguement came from. You are again implying I do not know things I certainly know. (for instance, anime. It certainly can be taken for children cartoons, but oh no.) There are sophisticated/intended to be mature works that are pieces of shit.

What argument? That was a repost of my explanation on August 22 about how gren skorcheo could win. You are clearly taking this WAY too personally.
p.s. I fucking hate anime.Is that okay? I mean, I don't want to take a dump all over your opinions of art. Tell me what I should and shouldn't like, please.

I vote for my favorite sig of the bunch. I'm sorry that my taste in graphics is clearly shit, but I have the right to vote for whatever I want.

I merely turned what you said against you.
You just basically said because Colours and I are new here, our opinions matter less.

I don't see where he implied that at all. I don't think your opinions matter less, I just totally disagree with them.

#48 baby0firefly

baby0firefly
  • 189 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:01 PM

And it wasn't even Donaldmax this time! I am shocked!

Haha!

#49 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:02 PM

Who needs soap operas? Time for my daily dose of drama, compliments of Neocodex :D

#50 RubberBand

RubberBand
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:03 PM

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Posted Image

I prefer this one:
Posted Image

I'm also not accusing anybody. I'm saying, I see where Xynrai might get that from and it's really not hard to rule out as a possibility. I also don't appreciate oldfags thinking they have some sort of 1 UP over new members. Get off YOUR high horse.

It's a fun forum comp, not an exhibition at the Guggenheim. Don't take it so seriously.

p.s. the expression is, 'going out on a limb' not whim.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users