Quantcast

Photo

SOTW #14 VOTING!!!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
114 replies to this topic

Poll: SOTW #14 (46 member(s) have cast votes)

Which sig is your favorite?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#51 Mithra

Mithra
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:06 PM

I don't see where he implied that at all. I don't think your opinions matter less, I just totally disagree with them.

Was it necessary to put the new members part? iargue made the same f***ing argument.

I've heard both "on a whim" and "out on a limb". My choice in idiomatic phrasing here really isn't the point, thank you.

Edited by Mithra, 04 September 2011 - 04:08 PM.

#52 Juturna

Juturna
  • 400 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:08 PM

For the love of cheese and tomato, it's really not necessarily to post whining GIF's. kk? It's really immature. I'd like, if we're going to debate this at all, if we can do it maturely, without GIF's that just are... immature. =/

What argument? That was a repost of my explanation on August 22 about how gren skorcheo could win. You are clearly taking this WAY too personally.
p.s. I fucking hate anime.Is that okay? I mean, I don't want to take a dump all over your opinions of art. Tell me what I should and shouldn't like, please.

yes, I respect the fact you are not fond of anime. or t It'd be stupid if I didn't. My point with anime, it that it's obviously animation, which is often associated with cartoons, and there are those who think cartoons are merely for children. Which is false. Anime is very... can be very adultish. Here, the relationship is the scorchio. just because the scorchio was childishly drawn, does not mean it's stupid. -_-' Obviously, if it's found funny, it's not entirely worthless. Although I'd still call it a horrible signature. /critic And i was angry because - again - you are implying I do not know things I fully very well k now - that art doesn't necessarily have to be mature/sophisticated. That there are childesh/colourful art as well.

I don't see where he implied that at all. I don't think your opinions matter less, I just totally disagree with them.

i'm a girl, dammit.

I've heard both "on a whim" and "out on a limb". My choice in idiomatic phrasing here really isn't the point, thank you.

Same. I've heard both phrases before.

Edited by Colours, 04 September 2011 - 04:12 PM.

#53 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:12 PM

mithra i never said your opinions dont matter. And when did i call you a Newfag?

#54 Mithra

Mithra
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:14 PM

mithra i never said your opinions dont matter. And when did i call you a Newfag?

You didn't have to mention that Xynrai, Colours, and I are all relatively new here. It was an argument that could've been made by anyone. And iargue has stated that he preferred it if people took SOTW seriously.
I saw a newfag in there somewhere. Apologies, I misread.

#55 Juturna

Juturna
  • 400 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:17 PM

And iargue has stated that he preferred it if people took SOTW seriously.

It's rather odd, actually. This is the first Sotw I've seen where it's not taken seriously. And I've been on sooo many forums in the past. I don't know why this is, but meh.

simple, if you can prove that particpants are cheating by vote mongering, why not pm the organiser and they can look into it. I dont appreciate new members coming in and bashing on others just because they may 'have more skill etc' get off your high horses

This is the post in question, I believe. I didn't take notice of the fact new was tacked on there, but I don't appreciate it.

#56 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:17 PM

i'm a girl, dammit.

Yes. By the nature of your posts, and the choice of avatar, I naturally assume you are female. So my comment about 'he' was amazingly not about you.
I am done arguing with you. Your comprehension is cloudy with unnecessary anger and it is clear you have misread and misconstrued everything I've posted thus far.

#57 baby0firefly

baby0firefly
  • 189 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:18 PM

Whatever happened to I thought this was supposed to be for fun? I don't understand why everyone is pitching such a fit over a friendly competition. I will say that yes I entered but it was my first time making what I did because that was my actual first attempt with a background involved. I'm just as new as the next new person. You don't hear me complaining. I don't care about winning but remember that term I used earlier...FUN...yeah that... that's what it is.
I really don't get why people even are crying about this. I voted for mine because it's my favorite show, that's why I made it. :)

#58 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:21 PM

Whatever happened to I thought this was supposed to be for fun? I don't understand why everyone is pitching such a fit over a friendly competition. I will say that yes I entered but it was my first time making what I did because that was my actual first attempt with a background involved. I'm just as new as the next new person. You don't hear me complaining. I don't care about winning but remember that term I used earlier...FUN...yeah that... that's what it is.
I really don't get why people even are crying about this. I voted for mine because it's my favorite show, that's why I made it. :)

How dare you make light of this serious situation? Why did you vote for your own when it is clearly crap? You didn't even work on it as hard as everyone else did. The one I think took the most effort clearly should be the winner.

:p Just playing. I love your attitude.

#59 Juturna

Juturna
  • 400 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:22 PM

I'm not picking on anybody because of lack of skill/experience. I used to be that same level, so I don't have room to be a jerk about it. Making crappy sigs is part of the learning curve and process, I'm not going to pick on you because of that.

I voted for mine because it's my favorite show, that's why I made it.

Is that legal? O_o

#60 baby0firefly

baby0firefly
  • 189 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:26 PM

How dare you make light of this serious situation? Why did you vote for your own when it is clearly crap? You didn't even work on it as hard as everyone else did. The one I think took the most effort clearly should be the winner.

:p Just playing. I love your attitude.

Haha! I was going to say It's what I do.

I'm not picking on anybody because of lack of skill/experience. I used to be that same level, so I don't have room to be a jerk about it. Making crappy sigs is part of the learning curve and process, I'm not going to pick on you because of that.

Is that legal? O_o

WHAT?! You mean after all this whimpering and your not aware of the rules?? Haha just kidding. I don't know. Doesn't matter, wasn't trying to win like I said before it's just for fun :)

#61 Juturna

Juturna
  • 400 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:28 PM

Well, in other Sotw's I've came accross, It's been illegal to vote for yourself. I wasn't sure if that was the rule here though. No biggie.

Edited by Colours, 04 September 2011 - 04:29 PM.

#62 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:32 PM

I'd have loved to see an Invader Zim siggy in there, or Fairly Oddparents.. Since there are none, the Pokemon one clearly has my vote :p

No, it doesn't really. TMNT ftw! Posted Image

#63 Blissey

Blissey
  • 581 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:36 PM

Posted Image

Why can't we ever have nice things?

Seriously, I remember when the SOTW used to be for fun.

How about we cut the bullshit, and let this competition finish itself like a champ?

#64 Juturna

Juturna
  • 400 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:39 PM

Your comprehension is cloudy with unnecessary anger and it is clear you have misread and misconstrued everything I've posted thus far.

Nope.jpg. You said that people have different tastes. That I should learn that. Then you said that art doesn't necessarily have to be all... sophisticated like the two painting examples you posted, to be nice and enjoyed Both of which I already knew. For the second, I basically resaid what you said, only using anime as a parallel of sorts to prove that I did indeed understand.

Seriously. I understood.

#65 baby0firefly

baby0firefly
  • 189 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:48 PM

Nope.jpg. You said that people have different tastes. That I should learn that. Then you said that art doesn't necessarily have to be all... sophisticated like the two painting examples you posted, to be nice and enjoyed Both of which I already knew. For the second, I basically resaid what you said, only using anime as a parallel of sorts to prove that I did indeed understand.

Seriously. I understood.

I am very sorry but you're about to not like me for a minute. Everyone is saying pretty much it's just for fun and why can't we just let it be for fun, but I don't understand why you are still nit picking when clearly there is no need and everyone is sick of the drama. Just LET IT DIE...for the love of cupcakes and all things that are awesome....I seriously already watched my Jersey Shore this week(this is the only thing about me that is girly)...But it's okay just saying. I'm not trying to be ugly or whatever the heck it is that you are trying to accomplish by still poking this dead squirrel. *hugs*

I'd have loved to see an Invader Zim siggy in there, or Fairly Oddparents.. Since there are none, the Pokemon one clearly has my vote :p

No, it doesn't really. TMNT ftw! Posted Image

I was really torn from making what I made, Zim or Fairly Oddparents and also Grim adventures of Billy and Mandy. :)

#66 Blissey

Blissey
  • 581 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:52 PM

I am very sorry but you're about to not like me for a minute. Everyone is saying pretty much it's just for fun and why can't we just let it be for fun, but I don't understand why you are still nit picking when clearly there is no need and everyone is sick of the drama. Just LET IT DIE...for the love of cupcakes and all things that are awesome....I seriously already watched my Jersey Shore this week(this is the only thing about me that is girly)...But it's okay just saying. I'm not trying to be ugly or whatever the heck it is that you are trying to accomplish by still poking this dead squirrel. *hugs*

I was really torn from making what I made, Zim or Fairly Oddparents and also Grim adventures of Billy and Mandy. :)

Posted Image

Dead squirrel, you say?

#67 Maloo

Maloo
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:54 PM

This whole "I'm new here, I can't win" thing is bullshit.
I got 2nd place here twice when I first came in and didn't know anyone.
And the 1st place ones were awesome, and they really earned it.
And besides, this is SIGNATURE OF THE WEEK. Not "The best/hardest/time consuming graphics of the week".
Get over it, come on.

#68 Mithra

Mithra
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 05:01 PM

And besides, this is SIGNATURE OF THE WEEK. Not "The best/hardest/time consuming graphics of the week".
Get over it, come on.

Wait, who's saying that?
Congrats.
& Good, then they deserved it. That's what we've kind of been saying. Stuff that's visually appealing and attractive should win. Not a .gif ripped from a Disney show or a doodle.

#69 baby0firefly

baby0firefly
  • 189 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 05:02 PM

Posted Image

Dead squirrel, you say?

lol not that one, it was ...another one :D

#70 Maloo

Maloo
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 05:18 PM

Wait, who's saying that?
Congrats.
& Good, then they deserved it. That's what we've kind of been saying. Stuff that's visually appealing and attractive should win. Not a .gif ripped from a Disney show or a doodle.

Unless I come out with something that's completely amazing. (which is nope.jpg), there is absolutely no chance of me winning, simply because I don't have social footing here.

An awesome sig is not necessarily a visually appealing sig.Being original is also REALLY important.We had never seen a sig like Gren Skorcheio, hence the amount of votes it had, in comparison to this pokemón sig on this SOTW.
Gren Skorcheio was original,visually appealing AND funny In my opinion.Also, it wasn't an inside joke or anything.It was just awesome.

#71 fimend

fimend
  • 170 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 05:22 PM

This is seriously one of the silliest debates I've ever seen. It blows my mind that people are getting their panties in a twist about something as insignificant as SOTW. As many before me have said, it's supposed to be FOR FUN. It happens every week (hence the title Signature of the Week), so if you think this particular competition is unfair for whatever reason then quit your bitching and enter next week. Some weeks there are mindblowingly amazing signatures that look like they took hours and some weeks there are shit signatures that look like they were made in picnik, but there's no reason to point fingers at people because they aren't taking this seriously enough or because their graphics don't live up to your standards. Sure, last week gren skorcheio made top three, but if you took the time to go back and look at numerous weeks before there have been some truly amazing and artistic submissions that have won. As for the whole being new to the forum thing, that's BS. People probably didn't vote for your sig because it sucked, not because you're new. So stop whining, trolling, and flaming because it really really doesn't matter.

#72 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2011 - 05:36 PM

But accusing us of cheating isn't exactly fair to us, now is it?

When I first looked and cast my humble vote. There was three people with around 15 votes each, and gren whatever had 3 votes. The next time I looked (After a few people posted that they liked it). It suddenly had 25 votes and two of the ones that had many votes suddenly had 2-3. Now. You don't have you to be a prize winning dog to know that something smells fishy.

Also. Using us makes you look like your guilty with other people. Who exactly is "us" and how is she/he accusing you of cheating? Unless you are part of the guilty party that she is accusing, it should be "accusing me" :| Meh

simple, if you can prove that particpants are cheating by vote mongering, why not pm the organiser and they can look into it. I dont appreciate new members coming in and bashing on others just because they may 'have more skill etc' get off your high horses

First of all, unless your part of the group that is cheating, its hard know because its not like they are going to all say, "Heeeey. We are all voting for gren so it can win! You should vote with us!". Hell, the holder could very well have been part of the conspiracy. None of the submissions are anonymous. He knows exactly who made which one, and could have been the only person who got the joke because he knew who it was, and so he decided to talk to everyone else and get it to vote. Given the fact that something fishy is blatantly obvious, and the holder did nothing about it. I wouldn't put any hope into anything happening.

It was a gif that represents how much you are crying because the sig you want to win isn't winning. Not random at all.

I already explained how gren skorcheo could win, in the thread of that week. I'll repost it here.

PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT TASTES. I know it's like, a totally far out concept. But it's reality.

Now. The thing that all of your posts have completely different then the Gren Scorchio thingy? The coloring is inside the lines. See. For something to be considered, not made by a 2 year old, it has to have coloring inside of the lines. That actually happenings to be what makes it a painting/work of art, and not colors on paper for the hell of it. Artists draw these black lines that guide where the colors are going to be. The lines, in conjunction with the color, help the person viewing it to grasp the concept that they are viewing. All great works of art happen to follow this very basic concept. (Unless the art was drawn by throwing paint at a canvas, that's a different concept then what is being applied here)

But. To absolutely break your final thoughts "PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT TASTES" The people had originally voted for something else. Completely ignoring the gren scrochio. Then in a sudden and miraculous moment of indecisiveness, they -all- changed their vote to something that they had originally ignored. In the world of probability, we can't calculate the odds of that happening (Yes, that's a hyperbole)

Get over it, come on.

Their complaint has nothing to do with the ones that you almost won. It has to do with the last one, and how they view it after this point. When you almost won, it looked legitimate. The person that beat you had a wonderful art and certainly deserved what they got. You would be complaining right now, if Gren Scorchio had placed first, and you had gotten second, and do not even think about lieing for even a second and saying that you would not be.

I've diligently read and voted in each of the SOTW since they started. But the last contest pretty much eliminated any faith that I had in this contest, and the reactions of several of the "older members" pretty much solidified that feeling that I had. I would expect Strategist, who won this contest several times, to be upset that gren scrochio actually won. Given that he has won many times, So either he was in on this, or he won because of the same effect and doesn't care. I liked his art and hope that's not that case, but that's what his, "Nothing went wrong, its all cool, you guys need to back off" attitude tells me.

So yes new members. I feel the same way that you do. But Posting here isn't going to change anything. If this was an actual neocodex contest, I would be more then glad to investigate and provide you with the proof that you need, but sadly it will only remain as a suspicion that will continue to make you doubt entering into this contest. Its not really worth trying anymore I guess.

#73 Maloo

Maloo
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 05:44 PM

When I first looked and cast my humble vote. There was three people with around 15 votes each, and gren whatever had 3 votes. The next time I looked (After a few people posted that they liked it). It suddenly had 25 votes and two of the ones that had many votes suddenly had 2-3. Now. You don't have you to be a prize winning dog to know that something smells fishy.

Also. Using us makes you look like your guilty with other people. Who exactly is "us" and how is she/he accusing you of cheating? Unless you are part of the guilty party that she is accusing, it should be "accusing me" :| Meh

First of all, unless your part of the group that is cheating, its hard know because its not like they are going to all say, "Heeeey. We are all voting for gren so it can win! You should vote with us!". Hell, the holder could very well have been part of the conspiracy. None of the submissions are anonymous. He knows exactly who made which one, and could have been the only person who got the joke because he knew who it was, and so he decided to talk to everyone else and get it to vote. Given the fact that something fishy is blatantly obvious, and the holder did nothing about it. I wouldn't put any hope into anything happening.

Now. The thing that all of your posts have completely different then the Gren Scorchio thingy? The coloring is inside the lines. See. For something to be considered, not made by a 2 year old, it has to have coloring inside of the lines. That actually happenings to be what makes it a painting/work of art, and not colors on paper for the hell of it. Artists draw these black lines that guide where the colors are going to be. The lines, in conjunction with the color, help the person viewing it to grasp the concept that they are viewing. All great works of art happen to follow this very basic concept. (Unless the art was drawn by throwing paint at a canvas, that's a different concept then what is being applied here)

But. To absolutely break your final thoughts "PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT TASTES" The people had originally voted for something else. Completely ignoring the gren scrochio. Then in a sudden and miraculous moment of indecisiveness, they -all- changed their vote to something that they had originally ignored. In the world of probability, we can't calculate the odds of that happening (Yes, that's a hyperbole)

First of all:
Everyone you quoted belongs to the "Tinychat gang"
Just pointing this out.

Second of all:
Who are you to define what's a work of art?
Seriously.During the Renaissance, to be considered art it had to represent reality in a nearly perfect way.And then, many years later comes this:
Posted Image

This is Pablo Picasso's Guernica.If you're someone who lived during the Renaissance, you'll probably say this is shit.Just children doodling.
But guess what: it's worth more then one and a half million dollars.It's a lot for "doodling", isn't it?

#74 Juturna

Juturna
  • 400 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 05:55 PM

Who are you to define what's a work of art?

Art is art. It doesn't necessarily matter if it follows the 'rules' are not. Art is defined as a visual creative expression. Although there are various guidelines for art (rule of thirds, colour wheel, etc), they're not solid. Many people refer to them as 'Rules of Art' (they're really just theories on what looks good to the human eye), they're more like guidelines anyways. But yes. Art is defined as a piece of visual creative expression.

But that doesn't necessarily mean it's pretty. Or should be taken seriously by any means. Or should be seriously be entered into a SoTw.

There's your answer.

#75 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2011 - 05:56 PM

It's more than fair to assume that Bogg says "us" to speak for the Codex community, as it was not him personally being accused of cheating, but the group as a whole.

As for the rest of the thread, I didn't really read it, just skimmed it.

A) ONOEZ, THE SIG I CONSIDER THE BEST IS NOT WINNING!!!!oneone!1!111: though...
B) Inside jokes: If my memory doesn't fail, so far, only one inside joke has entered the SotW, and it was nowhere near winning.
C) ArtNazi: If this was about skills, why do we even let the users vote, let's just get a jury of those who are considered the best artists, and let them choose. Heck, why do we even give everyone the liberty of a theme, next time, let's just make everyone use the same render, and the same brushes, effects and fonts, that way we can see who is actually more skilled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users