Quantcast

Photo

This website has been blocked to persons in the United States.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Abradix

Abradix
  • 769 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:11 AM

http://americancensorship.org/

I can't say I'm shocked, but I'm most assuredly pissed off. Let the government know that they're overstepping their bounds. They will be starting hearings about the bill today, its time to make a stand. They are trying to fast track this bill through Congress completely under the radar, another bill you won't hear a thing about in any sort of mainstream news because they know what they're doing is out of line. The price of freedom is eternal vigilance, we have lost many of our freedoms and now the singular one that has kept me sane and let me express my views, and dissatisfaction with our current path, to my peers is being threatened. The wording is muddled and cloudy, leaving much room for interpretation, which is never a good thing when it comes to passing laws. Write your congressmen, write him twice, send a letter bomb. They need to know there are some things that the American people won't stand for. "Stop Internet Piracy"? You can put whatever voter-friendly label you like on this infringing trash that they're calling a bill, but garbage is still garbage. You have the right to tell your government when its wrong... Start doing so.

This message brought to you by the Keep Congress From Getting Their Heads Blown The Fuck Off Foundation.

#2 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:48 AM

I can't see it changing the internet that much tbh, but maybe I'm misinterpreting the scale of it.

#3 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:00 AM

^ Please watch the video on that website.

This has been in the works for a while. It's pretty scary. To even consider that the government and corporations wouldn't push the limits with this bill is pretty naive.
Of course they will, just like it says in the video, remember that corporations still sue 12 year olds for millions of dollars just for downloading music. They'll take down any video that might have one second of their content. They will push and abuse any power given. It's disgusting. And this bill leaves a lot for interpretation.

However, if this bill does pass and chaos ensues, you can bet there will be protests. All the internet people that didn't give a shit about Occupy will BE at Washington D.C. screaming their heads of for their internet rights back. You can have our money, but by god don't take away our internets!!1

Here's from that website in case anyone doesn't care to sign up by email. Those emails never work. If you can, call this number.

We need enough phone calls today or Congress will pass the bill.

Ask for your representative: (202) 224-3121

The House needs to hear from you: I am a constituent and I urge you to reject the Internet Blacklist Bills (PROTECT IP Act in the Senate and the Stop Online Piracy Act in the House). These bills pose a danger to Internet security, free speech online, and innovation. The Internet Blacklist Legislation is dangerous and short-sighted, and I urge you to join Senator Wyden in opposing it.

#4 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:27 AM

I'll have to watch the video when I get home from work. I guess I did misinterpret the scale of it then O.o

#5 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:16 AM

WTF Noooooooooo! *Mario jumps into the fire*

The Internet is where I go to escape censorship. My sick twisted haven with no bounds that I can devour the strange and delight in the macabre. This cannot be taken from me.

#6 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:12 AM

Some guy here in Santa Monica tried to tell me how it would help film companies from losing money to pirates.
When I told him what the bill really did, he quoted Wikipedia. (Poor Fool) We need to get on this and stop it from happening. What's next?
They already seem to be taking our right to protest *points at poorly executed Occupy Movement*

Edited by Pikachuu, 16 November 2011 - 07:13 AM.

#7 Amagius

Amagius
  • 1117 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:23 AM

http://goo.gl/qBglf

Send a letter to your Congressman. Merlin Mann wrote on Twitter a few days ago, "Some days, the web feels like that corkboard full of cheap business cards in a laundromat you quit going to." Ain't that the truth? The internet hasn't facilitated commerce; it is commerce now. Believe you me, this is not in average user interest; this is not in the average content creator's interest; it is in old, stagnating vested interests, like always. Everything old is new again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users